• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon’s Twitter Carnival of Stupidity (No Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
As crazy as I find this newfound vilification to be, the worship of Musk seemed just as crazy when it was coming from people who now really dislike the guy. I don't think the Simpsons would make this episode today.

You mean like the celebrities who bought and worshipped their Teslas only to sell them for Hitlerwagons when Musk bought Twitter?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
That doesn't sound like social media, that seems like a loosely affiliated network of "safe-spaces". Basically its going to suffer badly from ideological compaction cycles that will result in an increasingly fragmented overall landscape as each sub-network selectively disengages and is disengaged from others.

And of course these more extreme communities won't be considered "separate" in media coverage, so long as they operate under the mastodon banner.

It absolutely is social media. The difference is that it empowers people instead of having people submit to a corporation.

And frankly media is biased as fuck - truth social is nothing but a mastodon instance but do you see the quartering complain that truth social has 40% creepy content? No he doesn’t…

Just because he’s on YouTube and he isn’t “mainstream media” does not mean he doesn’t lie to further a cause.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I really wish musk throws in the towel and pull the plug on twitter definitively.

I have to manage the account of my social sciences lab since everybody in french public administration has to do stuff besides their usual tasks (except for the majority of morons who doesn't even do what they are paid for but have been there for so long that they have taken roots and you cannot move them). It is such a hassle to do so please musk nuke twitter like Evilore nuked the politics forum, everyone will be better for it.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Twitter helped Egyptians organize The Arab Spring, helped small businesses gain customers and create brand awareness, helped find suspects in serious cases, helped find long lost family members (though I found mine on FB thanks to my sister), etc.

Twitter has actually had a net positive effect for many people... I created my own bubble of friends and acquaintances so I don't see the dreck that's being talked about in this thread. It doesn't reach me because I'm not on there much and I created a bubble, just like on FB. No random accounts, no drama.

RAÏSanÏa

Update to the Twitter experience. It is getting better IMOO. Politics are not constantly shoved in my face 24/7. Reflecting the average masses more and not just the trends of the elites.

If that is really happening, which does seems contrary to evidence and most opinions, it is temporary and may be due to something else, maybe related to people leaving. But you appear to believe you're woke to the "trends of the elites" and think the average masses think this way and that those weren't just their trends previously.

Twitter has said it will relax restrictions on political advertising as it seeks to generate more revenue after Elon Musk’s $44bn (£36.4bn) takeover of the platform.

The social media platform banned political advertising in 2019 after its then chief executive, Jack Dorsey, declared that reaching people with political messages should be “earned, not bought”.

Twitter has signalled a reversal of that policy, announcing it plans to “expand the political advertising we permit in the coming weeks”.

There will be an immediate change for restrictions on “cause-based” advertising, which it defines as ads that encourage people to take action on issues such as social inequality and economic growth. According to a Twitter advertising policy page, cause-based ads that target users in the US will no longer face restrictions such as a ban on using political terms like “conservative” or “liberal”.

About 70% of Twitter’s top 100 advertising clients were not spending on the platform as of mid-December, according to research firm Pathmatics.

Last edited:

NickFire

Elon: "12 months ago I was person of the year. Now after months of doing and saying bad things while acting like a child on the internet suddenly everyone hates me."

Elon fanboys on Twitter: "WOW REALLY MAKES YOU THINK!" :messenger_face_steam:
It goes both ways. You (and others) raised some specific issues when I asked why people are turning on him, and I don't intend to dismiss fair criticism and I am not dismissing said criticism. But at the end of the day, do we really think he would be getting this level of hatred if it were not for changing things at twitter in a way that one group of people like and another group does not like? Again, not saying you specifically or anyone in here. Just throwing out the obvious question in my mind regarding the level of animosity in such a short period of time based on the elephant in the room.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It goes both ways. You (and others) raised some specific issues when I asked why people are turning on him, and I don't intend to dismiss fair criticism and I am not dismissing said criticism. But at the end of the day, do we really think he would be getting this level of hatred if it were not for changing things at twitter in a way that one group of people like and another group does not like? Again, not saying you specifically or anyone in here. Just throwing out the obvious question in my mind regarding the level of animosity in such a short period of time based on the elephant in the room.
Yes. I think that if he had just shut the fuck up, bought Twitter, and silently made necessary changes in the background the hate against him would be FAR less pronounced regardless of who he pissed off with the changes. Even I would have trouble disliking him at that point. But it's the constant stream of insane tweets supporting nonsense, the Ukraine stuff, the anti-vax stuff, the way he laid off the Twitter staff, the "woe is me" poor billionaire act, blaming Tesla's troubles on everyone else, etc etc the list goes on and ON. That is the stuff that is getting him the majority of the hate. Not the Twitter changes.

He has made so many mistakes in the last 6 months that it's hard to list them all off the top of my head. Then to have him come out with a tweet like that in the face of so much OBVIOUS wrongdoing and missteps on his part is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

Jsisto

On the one hand, he had the mainstream left media against him from the start, but as a supposed genius and savvy businessman, he did himself absolutely no favors by inserting himself directly into the culture war and telling people in no uncertain terms to vote republican. He could have stayed out of politics and still kept his “free speech absolutionist” con going, but he chose to take a side and that’s an incredibly stupid thing to do as any business owner. Zero sympathy for him.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

On the one hand, he had the mainstream left media against him from the start, but as a supposed genius and savvy businessman, he did himself absolutely no favors by inserting himself directly into the culture war and telling people in no uncertain terms to vote republican. He could have stayed out of politics and still kept his “free speech absolutionist” con going, but he chose to take a side and that’s an incredibly stupid thing to do as any business owner. Zero sympathy for him.
It's not even just that. He did that while still claiming to be in the middle while also pushing conspiracy nonsense regarding vaccines and random deep state BS that clearly indicated he was not in the middle.

He keeps repeatedly making these hypocritical statements expecting no one to notice or call him out. Then if you do he posts meme responses or just moves on to the next subject like he is in an 8th grade debate class.

Jsisto

It's not even just that. He did that while still claiming to be in the middle while also pushing conspiracy nonsense regarding vaccines and random deep state BS that clearly indicated he was not in the middle.

He keeps repeatedly making these hypocritical statements expecting no one to notice or call him out. Then if you do he posts meme responses or just moves on to the next subject like he is in an 8th grade debate class.
I have to think at this point it’s just the diehard Elon stans that are still supporting him in any meaningful numbers. I could care less about Twitter, but I fully support a free exchange of ideas and that was the one good thing he claimed to be bringing to the table, but as you suggested, it quickly became clear there was no consistency to anything he says. He’s a giant child.

Nobody_Important

I have to think at this point it’s just the diehard Elon stans that are still supporting him in any meaningful numbers. I could care less about Twitter, but I fully support a free exchange of ideas and that was the one good thing he claimed to be bringing to the table, but as you suggested, it quickly became clear there was no consistency to anything he says. He’s a giant child.
The crazy part is before all of this he was counted among the smartest and savviest businessmen in the world. A real world Tony Stark living out the dream of running a profitable company while making the world a better place. He was mentioned in movies and shows in passing alongside Edison, Tesla, and other world class inventors. Entire industries tried to format their own businesses and R&D departments after Tesla. Turns out he just had really good people around him actually running the show while he played up the cooky eccentric billionaire genius act. In reality he can't run an already established social media giant for 4 months without tanking the entire thing financially and tanking his own image publicly.

It is hands down one of the most astounding 12 month turnarounds I have ever seen. Not even Kanye was that bad despite his Hitler speech because people already hated him for other stuff. Elon was well liked and even idolized. Burned that to the ground in a single year.

Jsisto

The crazy part is before all of this he was counted among the smartest and savviest businessmen in the world. A real world Tony Stark living out the dream of running a profitable company while making the world a better place. He was mentioned in movies and shows in passing alongside Edison, Tesla, and other world class inventors. Entire industries tried to format their own businesses and R&D departments after Tesla. Turns out he just had really good people around him actually running the show while he played up the cooky eccentric billionaire genius act. In reality he can't run an already established social media giant for 4 months without tanking the entire thing financially and tanking his own image publicly.

It is hands down one of the most astounding 12 month turnarounds I have ever seen. Not even Kanye was that bad despite his Hitler speech because people already hated him for other stuff. Elon was well liked and even idolized. Burned that to the ground in a single year.
For real. It’s apparent he has a cursory enough understanding of rockets, space travel and electric cars to make it through an interview looking smart, but it’s naive in retrospect to think that he was ever the driving force behind this stuff while running multiple companies and tweeting all day. He’s a paycheck, and money attracts talent. He obviously has or had to have had some real skills in building these companies in the first place, but that’s probably about it.

Nobody_Important

For real. It’s apparent he has a cursory enough understanding of rockets, space travel and electric cars to make it through an interview looking smart, but it’s naive in retrospect to think that he was ever the driving force behind this stuff while running multiple companies and tweeting all day. He’s a paycheck, and money attracts talent. He obviously has or had to have had some real skills in building these companies in the first place, but that’s probably about it.
Yeah it's bizarre looking back and seeing people put him up there like that since he was just the CEO and not one of the designers or engineers. I'm guilty of it myself. The Tony Stark thing where the CEO is also the driving force behind the innovation of the company itself isn't real. Steve Jobs and Elon tried to pretend that it was, but we know that's not how it works.

They are just faces for the company. They know just enough to not look stupid on the spot and get caught by journalists. Beyond that they are just talking heads.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah it's bizarre looking back and seeing people put him up there like that since he was just the CEO and not one of the designers or engineers. I'm guilty of it myself. The Tony Stark thing where the CEO is also the driving force behind the innovation of the company itself isn't real. Steve Jobs and Elon tried to pretend that it was, but we know that's not how it works.

They are just faces for the company. They know just enough to not look stupid on the spot and get caught by journalists. Beyond that they are just talking heads.
That's marketing for ya and many of you guys fell for it.

There is no way any person in the world knows everything about EV cars, rockets, satellite internet, Twitter, high speed tunnels, and whatever other stuff he promotes.

People should research the product, not the person. Most things in life have CEOs and Presidents nobody knows or gives a shit about. I dont know who the CEO is for Royal Bank, but I got money and my past car loan was through them.

But for techie kinds of products and services, people seem to put the mouthpiece of the company on such a high pedestal, it's like they care more about the guy's personal life than the actual things he's promoting to sell.

Don't give attention whores the clicks and easy sales they try to get off the general public.

Meicyn

Gold Member
That's marketing for ya and many of you guys fell for it.

There is no way any person in the world knows everything about EV cars, rockets, satellite internet, Twitter, high speed tunnels, and whatever other stuff he promotes.

People should research the product, not the person. Most things in life have CEOs and Presidents nobody knows or gives a shit about. I dont know who the CEO is for Royal Bank, but I got money and my past car loan was through them.

But for techie kinds of products and services, people seem to put the mouthpiece of the company on such a high pedestal, it's like they care more about the guy's personal life than the actual things he's promoting to sell.

Don't give attention whores the clicks and easy sales they try to get off the general public.
I disagree, Steve Jobs was super smart. He invented apples and then he invented phones. Checkmate.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Musk is the same guy who called a diver actually trying to rescue people a "pedo guy" and that was over 3 years ago.

Hell 4-5 years ago he invented the idea that there were private investors willing to pay "$420 per share" lulllzz.. committing stock market fraud while acting like a 13 year old from Xbox Live circa 2008.

He's been saying other stupid shit endlessly since, and you don't have to be "on the left" to think he's a twat or kind of an idiot (despite his success.)

I mean the man married Grimes and named his kid some random character you have to hit ctrl-keys to type.

Even the anti-vaxxer GOP voters out there have to look at all of the above and scratch their heads... but yes, you add a bunch of partisan politics to your persona on top of being a dingbat, it's going to turn some people off lol

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Musk is the same guy who called a diver actually trying to rescue people a "pedo guy" and that was over 3 years ago.

Hell 4-5 years ago he invented the idea that there were private investors willing to pay "$420 per share" lulllzz.. committing stock market fraud while acting like a 13 year old from Xbox Live circa 2008.

He's been saying other stupid shit endlessly since, and you don't have to be "on the left" to think he's a twat or kind of an idiot (despite his success.)

I mean the man married Grimes and named his kid some random character you have to hit ctrl-keys to type.

Even the anti-vaxxer GOP voters out there have to look at all of the above and scratch their heads... but yes, you add a bunch of partisan politics to your persona on top of being a dingbat, it's going to turn some people off lol
When you look at that you have to wonder why they even considered him Person of the Year. Oh yeah, it's because he was mostly successful, and those people are flawed geniuses to people across the ideological spectrum. Now that he's failing and flailing he's a bum.

NickFire

I agree there are plenty of reasons to scratch the head or question or straight up dislike. Being honest though, Im utterly fascinated by how many people seemed to turn on him for seemingly intending to make twitter a little more, well, balanced. And I get and even respect people’s reasonings for disliking him (on individual levels at least) that don’t involve making Twitter more balanced. But I’ll just never get why they weren’t this vocal a year ago. It honestly makes me sad to think how much some people will ignore if you are part of their team, and how quickly you are disposable if you disagree on something,

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

sfqk8umx0x9a1.jpg

I agree there are plenty of reasons to scratch the head or question or straight up dislike. Being honest though, Im utterly fascinated by how many people seemed to turn on him for seemingly intending to make twitter a little more, well, balanced. And I get and even respect people’s reasonings for disliking him (on individual levels at least) that don’t involve making Twitter more balanced. But I’ll just never get why they weren’t this vocal a year ago. It honestly makes me sad to think how much some people will ignore if you are part of their team, and how quickly you are disposable if you disagree on something,
I was rooting for him but the public nature of his leadership decisions has made me step back & see the guy in a different light. Like, was he really the reason the other companies were successful? I don't hate the guy by any means but I don't see him as highly as I used to. Dunno about others but that's where I'm at.

If the fallout of this wasn't being tweeted by him every day, I don't think anyone's opinion would have changed. He really just comes off as a impulsive rich dude who is surrounded by yes men.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Honestly kind of shocked he hasn't been sued by TSLA shareholders over his tweet where he said he wouldn't STFU for the sake of TSLA's stock price.

It's just blatantly defying what he has a duty to do as CEO of TSLA.
Musk has Asperger's Syndrome.

Maybe it's a reason, maybe it's not. But perhaps the reason why the guy is such a media whore who cant shut up about things is due to this. The guy 24/7 is socially awkward. Instead of a stereotypical awkward guy being a hermit never leaving his house, he's the opposite. Always needing attention.

Unless someone legally or forcefully shuts him down in some way, it'll probably be impossible to ever make him zip it.

Honestly kind of shocked he hasn't been sued by TSLA shareholders over his tweet where he said he wouldn't STFU for the sake of TSLA's stock price.

It's just blatantly defying what he has a duty to do as CEO of TSLA.

He should have been sued for the tweet in 2021 were he came out of nowhere and said I THINK TSLAS SHARES ARE TOO HIGH causing the stock to crash.

SEC must have been real merciful letting that slide.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol I transferred to a different state in high school and they had their own curriculum and standards so they put me in a math class that was for kids who had flunked last year's class. I was easily the smartest kid in class ace-ing all pop quizzes and helping others do their assignments. I had a blast with the 'cool' kids who didnt study and cut classes compared to the dead inside kids in the regular classes. I never got into the honors or AP courses but i cant even imagine how boring those classes must have been.

Point is, its good to expand your horizons and meet other people. I was one of the few nerds who would hang out with jocks and troublemakers. If people want to live in a bubble, twitter aint the place. Try brooklyn.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
lol I transferred to a different state in high school and they had their own curriculum and standards so they put me in a math class that was for kids who had flunked last year's class. I was easily the smartest kid in class ace-ing all pop quizzes and helping others do their assignments. I had a blast with the 'cool' kids who didnt study and cut classes compared to the dead inside kids in the regular classes. I never got into the honors or AP courses but i cant even imagine how boring those classes must have been.

Point is, its good to expand your horizons and meet other people. I was one of the few nerds who would hang out with jocks and troublemakers. If people want to live in a bubble, twitter aint the place. Try brooklyn.
I was put into the E classes. Back then, I think there were G (general), A (advanced), E (enhanced). All the brainers were in E. I did well, but not as good as the teacher's pet 95% average students. My close friends were all in A classes and I think some were in G. These nerd classes were fine as I liked academics, but it would had been great too if I was in A classes. Like work, I lose patience with people when I'm doing the math or analysis in my head faster than the teacher can speak to a slow student.

But I dont get why it's so hard to get along. Although I was in E classes, I got along with everyone. Later in high school there were no more designated classes as you choose which subjects you want to do so everyone is in the same boat. But class, lunch, gym, I got along with everyone from the bookworms to the jocks. As long as someone has a wide range of interests and not be an ass, a kid can relate to anyone. And I was just a normal kid. Did well in marks, but wasnt really athletic, didnt do organized sports, and wasn't a trendy lady's man.

The only people I never really spoke to or chatted with were all gothy smokers on the sidewalk who did their own thing.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Under threat of regulation and intervention, the government was telling twitter to remove content based on what it considers misinformation. Why should we accept that the government should decide the truth? Here's a very important point concerning what would have been considered misinformation 20 years ago.

<Edited for brevity>

Why are you so devoted to wanting to be told what you're allowed to say, and someone deciding for you what opinions are right and wrong?

A personal slight via negative mischaracterization? OK.

I see you still haven't read it. The government (under both parties) requested, not demanded, and under no threats, that certain content be removed or certain accounts banned. Twitter investigated, and sometimes they took action, sometimes they didn't. It's all right there. For example, Twitter was asked by a Congressman to remove defamatory and doxxing material against a staffer which had been posted by a Q-Anon adherent. They granted some requests and refused others based on their internal policies. So this actually proves the exact opposite of Musk and his friends are claiming - they asked, and Twitter said no. Wow, what a scandal - Twitter employees were just doing their jobs.

I'm not watching videos with people who are repeating the false narrative. If you had pointed to a source of actual investigative journalism that would have been fine, but I do not get my information from the podcasts of comedians.

Anyways, I am done discussing the validity of the so-called Twitter files. Unless, like the rest of the critical and informed world, it's to poke fun at all of the falsehoods and hackeyed theater of it all. If someone refuses to read it but rather have the disinfo twisted even more for them, fine. I should have known better anyways, I know the futility of trying to disprove conspiracy theories. No more.

Last edited:
I see you still haven't read it. The government (under both parties) requested, not demanded, and under no threats, that certain content be removed or certain accounts banned. Twitter investigated, and sometimes they took action, sometimes they didn't. It's all right there.

The substance of this video is a threat. Removing section 230 for platforms that won't censor as much as you want them to is a threat.

Others in power made similar threats of regulation. In addition, here is twitter themselves talking about how government officials were "very angry" that they had not censored even more.

And when you say "both parties." you are correct. Neither of them should have been asking private platforms to censor citizens who were not breaking any laws, essentially circumventing the first amendment, and both are to blame. None of this should have ever happened.

For example, Twitter was asked by a Congressman to remove defamatory and doxxing material against a staffer which had been posted by a Q-Anon adherent.

Journalist. The word you're looking for is journalist. In this case, a journalist who has stated that he doesn't identify with the group he's being smeared as belonging to. He was also banned anyway three months later, and was never given a reason. If you can find a specific reason twitter announced for their banning of this journalist, I'd be interested to hear it.

From what I've seen from looking at his pre-ban tweets, there's probably a lot I would disagree with him about, but he's still a journalist.

So this actually proves the exact opposite of Musk and his friends are claiming - they asked, and Twitter said no.

Sort of, but it didn't last. One of the better things to see from this whole thing is just how much Twitter did push back on certain things, especially at first, until they generally were pushed and prodded into going a lot farther as time went on. But considering the refrain for the longest time was "they're a private company, they can do what they want" I'm not seeing a lot of criticism of the people pushing and threatening twitter to do more than it wanted.

And on that note, and in the spirit of "this isn't about red vs blue, this is about power" here's someone on the left and someone the right having a thoughtful discussion on some of the latest twitter files findings, and how the government threatened to use the media to create bad PR for twitter. The video also goes into some other politicized topics, but I'll not discuss those here.

I'm not watching videos with people who are repeating the false narrative. If you had pointed to a source of actual investigative journalism that would have been fine, but I do not get my information from the podcasts of comedians.

You don't need investigative journalism to point out that 20 years ago the government said Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and used that pretense to start a war. And if social media existed then as it does now, the government would be requesting the deplatforming of people questioning that narrative. They would have been painted as spreading misinformation. That's the point made in the video you refused to watch.

And even if you do question that hypothetical, the question remains, why do you trust the government to decide what is true and what is false, and then "request" that people be silenced who disagree? With as many times as the power held in government has changed hands over the years, why should anyone willingly accept and even champion a precedent for that sort of censorship?

Nobody_Important

You can just ignore him and this thread. Poof, it all goes away.
Video Games Wow GIF by PlayStation
If only. I still see all the news articles even I block him (I know because I tried that)

And the thread is funny sometimes. Gotta get my laughs when I can.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
After Today, I just want this site to burn down. All it is good for is ruining people's lives and letting the mentally deranged have too large a voice.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Actions have consequences, sometimes in compounded fashion:

The lack of Twitter news is probably due to Musk and Tesla being busy with that shareholder class action over stock manipulation:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Actions have consequences, sometimes in compounded fashion:

The lack of Twitter news is probably due to Musk and Tesla being busy with that shareholder class action over stock manipulation:

Dude's war with Twitter has cost him A LOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom