• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Electronic Arts Strikes Three-Game Deal With Marvel (First game is Iron Man)

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
-1x-1.jpg

Electronic Arts Inc. will develop three video games inspired by Marvel comic book characters after forging a deal that gives the company access to the most popular entertainment franchise in the world.

The first game EA is making is based on Iron Man, a billionaire inventor and superhero who was the subject of one of the first hit Marvel movies, it announced last week.
The Redwood City, California-based developer plans to create a single-player action-adventure game for PCs and consoles that features an original story based on Iron Man’s history.

EA didn’t provide details about other characters it plans to use, or give a release timetable.

Source behind a paywall

Last edited:
Hopefully this won't be as bad as the 4 game Sega deal during the PS3/360 gen. Each game felt like I was playing a cancelled prototype for something with high potential(except for that Captain America game that was good fun).

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Didnt EARS get turned into Visceral Games and then get closed.

I was sure this title was being developed by Motive.
And so far Motive havent fucked up.
So I will trust in them.

I loved Battlefront 2 and Squadrons.
Dead Space R looks amazing so far.
Ill reserve judgement on their IronMan game.
Everyone did say anthem had a great base for being an iron man game
Yup.

Honestly if Anthem was just a straight RPG or even just ana action game instead of a looter shooter online only co-op whateverer game, it probably would have done really well.
I think Bioware was just over worked and the scope of the project was too big.

Black_Stride

I already like the suit concept.

I wonder what they will call this suit.
FgaH0osUcAA8CqX

Saber

Gold Member

Doesn't matter if the game has a good gameplay or good ideas at all. I think Anthem clearly showed people that.
Not saying this Iron man will be a crap game. But they could delivered the best, upgraded version of Iron Man gameplay from Anthem and it wouldn't matter if they repeat the same mistakes and stupid cancerous mechanics on it. People better be praying for this game to not end up the same.

RCU005

Regardless of EA’s quality, I truly hate that they always put EA on every logo. It looks horrible and they just make themselves look narcissistic a-holes.

I don’t get why Disney keeps making deals with them, there are many other good developers. Just compare Spider-Man to any other game they’ve released from Star Wars (and how many they have cancelled)

Even though Jedi Fallen Order was a good game, quality-wise could’ve been much better and I always kept wondering what would’ve been had any other studio made it .

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Regardless of EA’s quality, I truly hate that they always put EA on every logo. It looks horrible and they just make themselves look narcissistic a-holes.

I don’t get why Disney keeps making deals with them, there are many other good developers. Just compare Spider-Man to any other game they’ve released from Star Wars (and how many they have cancelled)

Even though Jedi Fallen Order was a good game, quality-wise could’ve been much better and I always kept wondering what would’ve been had any other studio made it .
Their sports games where they'd have EA Sports here and ESPN or whatever elsewhere was weird as hell.

Fredrik

I never played it but yeah going by trailers it seems like a perfect fit.

Similar thinking, God of War would’ve been a perfect base for a Thor game, you even go through the realms now. For real, just retire old man Kratos and do it Sony!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, that's gonna go badly. I thought they said they were gonna be more selective with who they were gonna let use their licenses, to ensure a higher level of quality than has historically been the case. But maybe that was only for Spider-Man. We all know what happened with The Avengers... Guardians was alright though (but nowhere near the quality of SM).

But I guess Sony can't make all of them.

Black_Stride

Not that I know of. But I'm not going to pat them on the back for making an exception once or twice.
Beyond their sports titles which EA games are riddled with MTX?

Exception once or twice?

CamHostage

Didnt EARS get turned into Visceral Games and then get closed.

EARS (EA Redwood Shores) is the headquarters of Electronic Arts.

They have a number of studios operating inside the EA building (Maxis I believe or at least Sims Studio ran out of there, the Redwood Studios team making/managing C&C, lots of little development groups and mobile/web designers over the years that just report up to the main branch and aren't known by name in the public.) The team that became Visceral Games was a big chunk at the time (I can't remember, did Dead Space 1 ship with EA RS in the credits or Visceral?) and they kind of took the name EA RS with them when they congealed into a dedicated studio on their own, but some degree game development or producing always operated out of that office before and after Visceral. (Sort of like when 989 Studios "closed". 989 was the address in Foster City for Sony; they didn't close that office at the time, they just ceased the operations that were under Kelly Flock... who I just now found out died in 2021, sadly.)

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Yep, let's make sure there is a Marvel game coming out every quarter for the next 5 years.

I smell a lot of failure coming our way.

Larxia

But maybe that was only for Spider-Man. We all know what happened with The Avengers... Guardians was alright though (but nowhere near the quality of SM).
I think Guardians of the Galaxy was a better game than Spider-Man, much more memorable and impactful.

I did enjoy Spider-Man, but just like I enjoyed the older spider-man games too.
It's actually very, very similar to the previous games since Spider-Man 2 on ps2, it's just more polished and prettier (but with a less interesting swinging mechanics sadly, it looks amazing visually, but it doesn't allow as much freedom and sensation in what you can do since it's not physics based).
I think a huge part of the success of the game is related to the fact that it was a sony exclusive, with the sony hype and marketing.

I would love to be able to see an alternate world where Guardians of the Galaxy is the exact same game as it is now, but as a playstation exclusive, I'm sure I could see messages here on gaf about how it's one of the best single player games of the generation etc. The game is really really good, it has a fantastic writing, a great story, it just suffered from a bad / absent marketing, and a bad image because it came just after Marvel's Avengers and people assumed it would be similar.

With different context, I'm sure the impressions would have been different, even if the games were the same.

Anyway, about the EA news, I will wait and see, it might not be the best, but it's still better than Ubisoft for example, because at least with EA we don't exactly know what type of game we'll get, while with ubisoft I'd already feel like I finished these games already before they are even announced.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Iron Man? Meh.

Just imagine what studios can do with Blade. Action packed dark and gritty 60 fps game with open world metros hunting vamps. Add in some skill trees and RPG elements for gear, and his black car to drive around town to safehouses.

Last edited:

SSfox

Meh, can be cool in the right hands, but i mean it's... EA.

Hard to be excited about those type of games, it's Rocksteady or Insomniacs aren't involved.

Power Pro

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Why EA? Why do they always go with the worst company in the world? And don't tell me it's money, because look at the fiasco they ran into with Star Wars Battlefront 2. They caused them so much shit, and I'm sure the suits at Disney were not happy at that time, yet they go with them again.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Why EA? Why do they always go with the worst company in the world? And don't tell me it's money, because look at the fiasco they ran into with Star Wars Battlefront 2. They caused them so much shit, and I'm sure the suits at Disney were not happy at that time, yet they go with them again.
When one suitcase of money isnt enough, EA has two.

The big licensors also probably look at the company as a whole and will equate EA's giant campus as a factor. I remember seeing their promo vids myself where they'd brag they got a giant plot of land in Burnaby with huge production and mo cap buildings.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think Guardians of the Galaxy was a better game than Spider-Man, much more memorable and impactful.

I did enjoy Spider-Man, but just like I enjoyed the older spider-man games too.
It's actually very, very similar to the previous games since Spider-Man 2 on ps2, it's just more polished and prettier (but with a less interesting swinging mechanics sadly, it looks amazing visually, but it doesn't allow as much freedom and sensation in what you can do since it's not physics based).
I think a huge part of the success of the game is related to the fact that it was a sony exclusive, with the sony hype and marketing.

I would love to be able to see an alternate world where Guardians of the Galaxy is the exact same game as it is now, but as a playstation exclusive, I'm sure I could see messages here on gaf about how it's one of the best single player games of the generation etc. The game is really really good, it has a fantastic writing, a great story, it just suffered from a bad / absent marketing, and a bad image because it came just after Marvel's Avengers and people assumed it would be similar.

With different context, I'm sure the impressions would have been different, even if the games were the same.

Anyway, about the EA news, I will wait and see, it might not be the best, but it's still better than Ubisoft for example, because at least with EA we don't exactly know what type of game we'll get, while with ubisoft I'd already feel like I finished these games already before they are even announced.

Guardians has a pretty cool story and fun dialogue, and some very creative environments. But it terms of gameplay it's nowhere near Spider-Man. The latter is miles smoother, more polished, and just much more fun to play. Maybe if you REALLY prefer shooters you would disagree, but to me the combat got old way before the game was over. All those bullet sponge enemies... On a pure technical level SM is also on a completely different level. Not that Guardians looks bad or anything, but it just feels WAY less polished and much more janky. It clearly wasn't given the time to be fine-tuned to perfection that Sony gives their studios.

I enjoyed Guardians enough to plat it, but the last few trophies were out of sheer determination (only had a few left), not because I was still having fun. SM I beat twice, and wasn't even sick of it after all that. A big part of it (for me) is that swinging and zipping around in that game just never gets old. It feels so good. Guardians doesn't have anything like that, the movement in that game isn't really any fun. It really only has its story, characters, and some cool environments to visit.

Larxia

Guardians has a pretty cool story and fun dialogue, and some very creative environments. But it terms of gameplay it's nowhere near Spider-Man. The latter is miles smoother, more polished, and just much more fun to play. Maybe if you REALLY prefer shooters you would disagree, but to me the combat got old way before the game was over. All those bullet sponge enemies... On a pure technical level SM is also on a completely different level. Not that Guardians looks bad or anything, but it just feels WAY less polished and much more janky. It clearly wasn't given the time to be fine-tuned to perfection that Sony gives their studios.

I enjoyed Guardians enough to plat it, but the last few trophies were out of sheer determination (only had a few left), not because I was still having fun. SM I beat twice, and wasn't even sick of it after all that. A big part of it (for me) is that swinging and zipping around in that game just never gets old. It feels so good. Guardians doesn't have anything like that, the movement in that game isn't really any fun. It really only has its story, characters, and some cool environments to visit.
The swinging is of course a big bonus spider-man has, but it bothered me that it felt so... assisted / automated. It really looks gorgeous for sure, they did an amazing job with the animation, but the fact that there's no risk at all, that it will always work out perfectly, makes it feel less rewarding, there's not as much sensation as there could be.
This video here is pretty good about this subject

One of the things that bother me the most is also that you can clearly feel / see that Spider-Man starts to move / swing, before the web actually attached to anything.
Once you noticed this, you will always see it lol.
I actually recorded a little clip about this when playing the game on PC, to show a friend :

You can clearly see that spider-man will starts getting speed without any actual swinging / physical interaction from the web, you can even let go the trigger before shooting the web, to cancel it, and see the acceleration being there anyway.
These things made the web swinging in this game more "boring" for me. It's still really fun, don't get me wrong, but I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it allowed for a more manual / physical simulation mode, where you could experience things by yourself, try to see what's possible or not, and have the web swinging always feeling new because you're actually doing stuff on your own, cosntantly experimenting with it, instead of following a script.

Last edited:
Top Bottom