• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls 6 Is A Long Time Off, Might Not Launch Until Next Generation Of Consoles.

Laptop1991

It's been too long ago and too far into the future for me to even really care about TES6 at this point, and i was a massive Bethesda fan from Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3/NV to Skyrim, and Fallout 4 was a good shooter!, Starfield just hasn't got me hyped either, hopefully that will change.

Mozza

So 7.5 billion to release on another platform?

No it's probably the case, as you are bound to spend all that money and just keep the company releasing all their top games on the Playstation, when if you were going to do that why buy them in the first place, you might as well save your 7.5 billion as things would just be the same as before. ;)

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Why do I get the feeling this thread was bumped to cause concern by hoping people don't see the date this was made?

No it's probably the case, as you are bound to spend all that money and just keep the company releasing all their top games on the Playstation, when if you were going to do that why buy them in the first place, you might as well save your 7.5 billion as things would just be the same as before. ;)
Exactly. If MS were just going to buy them to keep releasing them on Playstation then they wouldn't have bought them because that would make no sense. The type of revenue that they would get from doing that is a rounding error to MS. They don't need it, they don't care about it.

Last edited:

Mozza

Why do I get the feeling this thread was bumped to cause concern by hoping people don't see the date this was made?

Exactly. If MS were just going to buy them to keep releasing them on Playstation then they wouldn't have bought them because that would make no sense. The type of revenue that they would get from doing that is a rounding error to MS. They don't need it, they don't care about it.

It's pure fanboy delusion at it's finest, they seem to clinging on to the hope that Microsoft will still keep the Bethesda top titles coming to the Playstation, but keep all the smaller games nobody cares about exclusive to the Xbox, which as you say would make little to no sense at all, as you would have pretty much the same situation as now, and would be not out of pocket to the tune of $7.5 billion.

When the buyout was announced you got the usual reactions from the Sony fans, first it's worry that Doom etc will be an Xbox exclusive, then denial that Microsoft would not wan't to hurt the sales of these games by limiting them to one platform, which of course is not the case as they will be released on the P.C as well, and of course how could we miss out the old line Bethesda are rubbish and we never wanted their games in the first place, when reality finally sinks in. ;)

MilkyJoe

Does he mean next as in PS5 or PS6 (yes I know it's never coming to playstation but it's easier than guessing xbox nomenclature)

tvdaXD

After all that time they better come up with a new engine. Or at least update their current to today's standards.
Fallout 4 should've had a new one already...

Cato

Banned
After all that time they better come up with a new engine. Or at least update their current to today's standards.
Fallout 4 should've had a new one already...

FO4? The engine was poor and clunky already at FO3.
NV dealt with it by having good writing to overcome the ancient PS2/OXbox era engine.

FO4 and what I saw from FO76 told me the franchise is dead and I will never spend any more money on it.
(Unless they re-write the engine from scratch and replace the writers)

I think the FO3 engine was basically someone took the FO2 engine, then while drunk tried to turn it into 3d, adding a vats system to try to hide the terrible performance and then sold the "new engine" back to them over craigslist.
I can not come up with a better explanation for this turd engine.

Last edited:
Man, I saw this post and didn't realise the date. I was like what..... It's not going to release on Xbox series X?!!

Wouldn't be suprised if a bitter Sony fan bumped this to defer potential buyers lol.

tvdaXD

I can not come up with a better explanation for this turd engine.

Maybe it's just like a second-hand car, passed on from owner to owner all while temporary fixes to issues have been applied while not having told the next owner what had to be done.

ripeavocado

Banned
A this point the earliest we could get it is at the end of the Series X lifecycle.

If you think about it's probably going to be 15 years since the previous game in the series.

One of best selling series ever is not having a sequel for more than 10 years (Same for GTA).
It really shows how current game development is fucked up.

Zathalus

A this point the earliest we could get it is at the end of the Series X lifecycle.

If you think about it's probably going to be 15 years since the previous game in the series.

One of best selling series ever is not having a sequel for more than 10 years (Same for GTA).
It really shows how current game development is fucked up.
To be fair, between Skyrim and the next TES game they have Fallout 4, Fallout 76, and Starfield. If not for the latter two then I would surmise TES 6 would have been around the corner.

ripeavocado

Banned
To be fair, between Skyrim and the next TES game they have Fallout 4, Fallout 76, and Starfield. If not for the latter two then I would surmise TES 6 would have been around the corner.

it doesn't matter, they had plenty of money to have two different teams working on the games at the same time.

They only had Fallout 4, 76 is a poor add on of F4 (Remember that in the series New Vegas, with much more content, was released in 18th months) and Starfield is nowhere near the release.

Roni

Gold Member
Didn't they already confirmed that the old engine is still in use for both next elder scroll and starfield?!
Probably. But gamebryo is not that bad given New Vegas can be played as a current gen title with ~20 mods.

That's impressive, given how clunky game dev usually is.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, honestly I figured after all of 76's negative attention and fixing, it's gonna take a bit longer. Of course teams have been working on the new ES this whole time, I just figured we wouldn't see it until the end of the XSX/PS5, or the launch of the next next gen consoles.

Krisprolls

Banned
What's the point buying Bethesda when their main game won't even release this gen ? I'm not sure it was worth it, especially considering the ultra steep price.

Last edited:
It's pure fanboy delusion at it's finest, they seem to clinging on to the hope that Microsoft will still keep the Bethesda top titles coming to the Playstation, but keep all the smaller games nobody cares about exclusive to the Xbox, which as you say would make little to no sense at all, as you would have pretty much the same situation as now, and would be not out of pocket to the tune of $7.5 billion.

When the buyout was announced you got the usual reactions from the Sony fans, first it's worry that Doom etc will be an Xbox exclusive, then denial that Microsoft would not wan't to hurt the sales of these games by limiting them to one platform, which of course is not the case as they will be released on the P.C as well, and of course how could we miss out the old line Bethesda are rubbish and we never wanted their games in the first place, when reality finally sinks in. ;)

timed exclusives make the most sense, maybe as much as 1 year on xbox/pc only, then move to PS4. You say if they keep the model as it is now they wasted 7.5 Billion, but that's not the case, now they get the full profit without the licensing fees or whatever, basically they don't have to pay out Bethesda it's all revenue to MS, it's something they would need to consider.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Elder Scrolls is too big to be released yearly even the big games we get yearly (Assassins Creed) how bad would a yearly release make Elder Scrolls look? Their rule is release an elder scrolls game once a generation.

Lone Wolf

timed exclusives make the most sense, maybe as much as 1 year on xbox/pc only, then move to PS4. You say if they keep the model as it is now they wasted 7.5 Billion, but that's not the case, now they get the full profit without the licensing fees or whatever, basically they don't have to pay out Bethesda it's all revenue to MS, it's something they would need to consider.
You will see any contracted game go to PlayStation, such as Deathloop, and games as a service like Fallout 76 and Elder scrolls online will continue to be supported on multiple platforms, but everything else will be in the Xbox ecosystem only. There is no rush to make up the money. It’s a long term investment.

Last edited:
Not only was Skyrim, let's face it - every RPG lover's wet dream - it single handedly pushed the console industry forward as visual's like Skyrim's weren't considered to be possible on consoles by many - I myself was not one of the many who believed this - however BF3 did amaze me graphically on console.

With that said, I hope the next entry does exactly what Skyrim did whenever it does in fact launch. I hope it deliver's a masterpiece experience in immersion and visuals as well as delivering the next "Wet Dream Definitive RPG experience" - with a myriad of new element's and gameplay types to explore that have not been touched on in the game-asphere.

Riding various bug like flying beast's, dragons, water creatures through the air/water - and a massive simulated physics system that allows the very ground you walk on to be terraformed and allows for mudslides/rockslide/massive dynamic physics demonstrations - all would all be very welcome. I think this is what most fan's are hoping for.

Mozza

People fail to realize Microsoft do not need the money, this is a long term investment done to gain market share, not saying this will win them the next generation or it will improve upon their stake compared to the current one, but making these big AAA titles available on the Playstation is the last thing they will do, timed or not.

gow3isben

Microsoft paid 7.5 billion for a game that will come out in 10 years. And in the meantime are publishing 2 PlayStation exclusives.

Mozza

Microsoft paid 7.5 billion for a game that will come out in 10 years. And in the meantime are publishing 2 PlayStation exclusives.

Yes that must be it, how do you come up with such amazing insights into this deal?, how we have not all spotted this revelation before is beyond me. ;)

Top Bottom