• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Rings UK Sales Were 70~85% Digital. PS5 ~50% Digital - Xbox ~85% Digital - Breakdown By Platform Inside

onQ123

Ok so we've confirmed that it's your comprehension skills that are the blocker here.
Nope I understand that you're full of it & making up stuff show me where people said that it would still be 80% on PlayStation when you include PC & Digital.

The fact is that when it come to Console it's ~80% PlayStation physical & ~ 60% PlayStation overall with physical & digital .

it did not drop from ~80% to ~ 40% like you tried to make it out to be.

Although most people already knew this, its nice to get some hard data to show Xbox users buy digital way more than PS users (90% for Vanguard too). The 'UK boxed physical sales' threads were beyond cringe and frustrating when people already knew this but pretended they didnt so they could console war.
Xbox gamers buy more digital copies but some idiots only posted physical chart coz they know Xbox people buy less physical copies .

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Holy cow! This is a 100% increase from before. No game has ever achieved this!

Yeah, I'm actually legitimately surprised that a whopping 85% of Xbox sales were digital.

Either the Series S has far and wide become the higher selling SKU, or Xbox gamers in general are more digitally oriented, much more so than PS gamers.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Yes. Xbox Store digital.
Retail have two SKUs I guess (not sure about Elden Ring).
I will check but here I normally see two different covers for Xbox games.

I've only seen that on titles that aren't smart delivery. Though I rarely browse physical anymore.

Because again it is a physical sale. You are still getting a physical item

You can't report it as a digital sale when you didn't buy it digitally.
Pretty much no physical release on PC has actual disc anymore, it's a code. Some very limited edition indie games sometimes have disc but they are very limited and rare and are more of a collectors piece. Take it from a mainly PC gamer when i tell you this bro.

Last edited:

misslore

Neo Member
No tower to climb that reveals the entire area, making the exploration pointless. No quest logs with a million different bullshit fetch and boring quests. No ten million icons on the map with crappy paint-by-the-numbers repetitive stuff to do.

Despite how massive it is, every location seems carefully crafted and you always end up finding something interesting or unexpected (which mostly involves a monster trying to kill you but eh). I hope everyone takes notes on how to design their open-world in the future (Guerilla Games and Nintendo too) because this is the way to do it.

An adventure game proper. Always a sense of fear and discovery waiting behind every corner. This game's open-world just took most to school.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Given this number, I'd say the game did better than expected on Playstation considering it came out one week after Horizon FW and one week before GT7. Those two first party games are MONSTERS!

yeah but Xbox has game pass and guardians Of the galaxy just launched so basically game pass removes any comparison because Xbox users don’t need to buy games at all. Lolol :D

so Elden ring over performed on Xbox ;)

It’s £120. Elden Ring’s RRP is £49.99 and Horizon’s is £69.99.

£110 if you bought the £59.99 PS4 version of Horizon and did the free upgrade to PS5.
I got HFW, Elden Ring, GT7 all 3 on disc for 1470kr (~£112)
All 3 digital would've been 2220kr (~£170)

Last edited:
I don't know, did the Mass Effect Collection sell better than the install base ratio says it should? What were the install bases and what was the sales split? Also a collection of old games would need to likely take into account some sort of factor of how the originals sold on each console. For example if the original Mass Effect games sold 30% better on Xbox 360 than on PS3, will the fact that more Xbox owners likely have the games already mean that less will buy the collection? I'm not pretending to know if it would make any difference, but it is another variable that would need to be taken into account.

As for your last sentence - can you name times when it wasn't a split comparable to the console install base?

I think Sony was around 10 million and XSX was around close to 8 million when ME Legendary Edition came out which was on May 14, 2021, so I'm assuming both the consoles were relatively close in install base around that time. The site showed something like an 80/20 split when it came out.

To my knowledge games like RE: Village, Hitman 3, Mass Effect, Yakuza: LAD, Tales of Arise, Dark Alliance, Code Vein, Tekken 7 to name a few displayed a rather similar sales ratio from what I saw, but unfortunately I don’t remember where sources that were showing the split. Then again, I’m not exactly how accurate the information was despite what it claimed. Elden Ring XBOX sales sales could mean a change is coming though, so we’ll see what happens.

Last edited:
Most if not all of those numbers have been purely physical numbers from GFK in the UK. I probably should collate these numbers a bit better.
Ok. I see. I do remember seeing some of the numbers and percentages from GFK in the UK.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I think Sony was around 10 million and XSX was around close to 8 million when ME Legendary Edition came out which was on May 14, 2021, so I'm assuming both the consoles were relatively close in install base around that time. The site showed something like an 80/20 split when it came out.

To my knowledge games like RE: Village, Hitman 3, Mass Effect, Yakuza: LAD, Tales of Arise, Dark Alliance, Code Vein, Tekken 7 to name a few displayed a rather similar sales ratio from what I saw, but unfortunately I don’t remember where sources that were showing the split. Then again, I’m not exactly how accurate the information was despite what it claimed. Elden Ring XBOX sales sales could mean a change is coming though, so we’ll see what happens.
An 80/20 split which we now know is completely misleading when trying to use it for anything other than what it is - physical game sales in the UK. It doesn’t even extrapolate out to total game sales in the UK, let alone any other market.

Roufianos

I got Elden ring digitally on Xbox for £8.

PS5 is struggling for digital copies because of Sonys monopoly on digital sales through their own store. They won’t give out licence keys to other vendors.
This is currently being investigated and until it’s a level playing field, people will be forced to continue to buy physical to get “good deals” even though they are still spending over £50
£8? How?

Pretty much no physical release on PC has actual disc anymore, it's a code. Some very limited edition indie games sometimes have disc but they are very limited and rare and are more of a collectors piece. Take it from a mainly PC gamer when i tell you this bro.

I already know this. I'm saying if you went on amazon and bought the Elden Ring launch edition which came with a case and a digital code then that get's reported as a physical sale

Roufianos

I bought an Argentina key for £26. As I digital share with a friend, he gave me £13. As it was a digital key, I activated the Xbox rewards card for 6000 points. Which translates into £5 credit.

Seriously people on here missing a trick man.

Haha brilliant. Cheers buddy, I need to get on board.

kingfey

Banned
What affect would it have on digital bought games? If it's just the fact that they got used to hitting download why wouldn't PS+ or GWG already have had that effect seeing as a larger majority are subscribed to those?
Because of how long Playstation was out. People grow up with physical disc, and aren't ready to throw that one out now.

Ps5 would make them digital at the end of the gen.

kingfey

Banned
You really tried this ? The 80% was physical & didn't include PC the 41% is overall and included the PC . Without the PC the game still sold ~ 60% on Playstation
That is not how math works. The physical is 30%, while digital is 70%. Playstation got 80% of that 30%, while also getting 41% of 70%. That would give us roughly 52.7% of over all sales on Playstation. For xbox, it's 17% of 30% and 29% of 70%, that would give us 25.1% of over all sales.
This is in-line with hardware split.

Does that mean alot? Not really. We don't have concrete data of how many copies were sold. If we get that, it would easy to make the comparison.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
All that weekly gloating and chest thumping over 80:20 physical splits surely looks embarrassing in hindsight, and I see some participants have already moved the goalposts and act like nothing happened :messenger_beaming: I guess celebrating fake victories is just way too fun.
Comes back from another ban and straight back into warring and picking fights :messenger_grinning_smiling:.

Pretty incredible ngl.

Rivet

Man, looks like the people claiming Horizon would sell more were off by a bit.

On PlayStation platforms, Horizon actually sold roughly the same as Elden Ring.

2.5 times more x 41 % (the ps part of Elden Ring sales) = 102,5

So on PlayStation and according to his numbers, Elden Ring only sold 2,5 % more than Horizon. But it's available on other platforms obviously.

Both sold very well.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does it mean that the weekly UK boxed chart threads are now redundant? The blue rats are going to need something else to circle jerk about on Mondays now

They always were redundant. It's physical only sales of a market where we now have a sample that one console can do 80% digital sales on.

DaGwaphics

That is not how math works. The physical is 30%, while digital is 70%. Playstation got 80% of that 30%, while also getting 41% of 70%. That would give us roughly 52.7% of over all sales on Playstation. For xbox, it's 17% of 30% and 29% of 70%, that would give us 25.1% of over all sales.

Does that mean alot? Not really. We don't have concrete data of how many copies were sold. If we get that, it would easy to make the comparison.

Those aren't the numbers being reported. the 41%/29% is the total across digital and physical (with PC included)l. The 80%/17% was physical only (with PC included).

Last edited:

onQ123

You need to read my post again. The 80% was from when they only used Playstation & Xbox physical while the 41% came from the overall sales physical + digital & also included PC

reksveks

PS5 console volume sales hit the 1.2m mark, generating £505.5m in value, up 165% versus 2020. Microsoft sold just over 800k units of the Xbox Series consoles, worth £284.1m, up 141% year-on-year

Next gen console rate according to GFK is 1.7:1.1 so like 1.545:1 (in 2021; its 1.5:1)

PS5 console volume sales hit the 1.2m mark, generating £505.5m in value, up 165% versus 2020. Microsoft sold just over 800k units of the Xbox Series consoles, worth £284.1m, up 141% year-on-year

Next gen console rate according to GFK is 1.7:1.1 so like 1.545:1 (in 2021; its 1.5:1)
Makes the Xbox Elden Ring sales look even better tbh. Especially since From is a "Playstation affine" studio.

mckmas8808

Banned
yeah but Xbox has game pass and guardians Of the galaxy just launched so basically game pass removes any comparison because Xbox users don’t need to buy games at all. Lolol :D

so Elden ring over performed on Xbox ;)

sassy sarah silverman GIF by HULU

What was it before 2021? Do you know?

DavidGzz

On PlayStation platforms, Horizon actually sold roughly the same as Elden Ring.

2.5 times more x 41 % (the ps part of Elden Ring sales) = 102,5

So on PlayStation and according to his numbers, Elden Ring only sold 2,5 % more than Horizon. But it's available on other platforms obviously.

Both sold very well.

I was talking about people thinking the fact that it's an exclusive would drive people to buy it so that despite it not being multiplatform it would do as well or better.

You're being reasonable about it, others not so much.

misslore

Neo Member
I bought an Argentina key for £26. As I digital share with a friend, he gave me £13. As it was a digital key, I activated the Xbox rewards card for 6000 points. Which translates into £5 credit.

Seriously people on here missing a trick man.
The hack I need. Thanks for the info

Top Bottom