• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Rings UK Sales Were 70~85% Digital. PS5 ~50% Digital - Xbox ~85% Digital - Breakdown By Platform Inside

MrFunSocks

Banned
You can buy Elden Ring physically for PC though
Right, so yeh in that case kingfey is wrong because his argument was based on it not being available physically I believe?

I just googled it and yeah it's available "physically" but it just seems to be a download code, no actual physical disk version? I personally wouldn't consider that a physical copy, but whoever is doing these figures must.

Last edited:

Goalus

No, I do. You're just doing the same mistake lots of others do.

The difference between 29% and 41% is 12 percentage points. Not 12%. Percentage points are not ratios.
That's why I wrote "12% of all units sold".
That is exactly the difference between Xbox and PS. I do not insist on winning this argument though because I urgently need to get some sleep now :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_sleeping:

kingfey

Banned
Repeating empty statements doesn't make them any less likely to be wrong. I've explained my position. You'll need to explain your fairly ludicrous position if you plan on repeating yourself for a third time.
My graphic card is rx 570. The game, cant let me play the game on my pc, because I am below the requirement. Hence, i cant buy it for my pc.

FYI, that graphic card was 2017. its a 4-5 years old graphic card.

• Operating System: Windows 10.
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-8400 or AMD Ryzen 3 3300X.
  • Memory: 12GB RAM.
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB or AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB.
  • DirectX: Version 12.
  • Storage: 60GB available space.
  • Sound Card: Windows-compatible audio device.
That is the minimum requirements.

Ps4/xbox one is 2013 old system. They will have advantages, considering both of these systems are weaker than my system. I have no idea why bandai, decided to limit pc people.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Doesn't matter. Buying a physical copy with a digital code counts as a physical sale
That doesn't really make sense IMO. I'm not saying that they aren't counting it that way, I'm saying that they need to rethink that because it's still a digital copy.

Do they count digital games that were purchased using credit bought via xbox/playstation money cards at retail as physical sales?

kingfey

Banned
There's a standard physical edition as well. Not just the collectors
wait what anders holmvik GIF by Workaholics

I am confused now. Collector edition contained steel books. Now there is physical edition, which is just digital code? But how is it physical copy, when it contains digital code?

That doesn't really make sense IMO. I'm not saying that they aren't counting it that way, I'm saying that they need to rethink that because it's still a digital copy.

Do they count digital games that were purchased using credit bought via xbox/playstation money cards at retail as physical sales?

You're not purchasing it through the digital store. You're purchasing it through the physical retailer so that's what the data is going to represent

You mean these? https://www.game.co.uk/en/doom-eternal-standard-edition-2717976

Maybe yeah. Not sure

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned

I am confused now. Collector edition contained steel books. Now there is physical edition, which is just digital code? But how is it physical copy, when it contains digital code?
It's definitely a broken method of reporting. Buying a digital code at retail does not make it a physical copy. If I could buy digital copies of Xbox/PC games at retail I would because I want digital but it would be cheaper thanks to competition. Counting my purchases as physical copy purchases despite me literally owning zero physical copies of games shows how broken that method of reporting is.

Again doesn't matter if the box contains a disc or a digital code. When you purchase that item from a retailer then that goes down as a physical sale

On Demand

Banned
What I showed you, is that previous gen had value, because you cant get those games easily.
Last gen games are very cheap on current digital market, that physical copy resale value isnt not worth it.
You have resale value for day1 physical games, but you are losing access to those games. You do this, if you dont want to keep those games.
For the people who hoard those physical games, the resale value isnt worth it, as those games are available for cheap in digital format.

It makes sense, to go with digital at this age, since you arent losing your games, and your games is being supported for the next gen. Plus you save space on your home.

None of your points really changes what I said. Games being available digitally doesn’t change why people prefer physical media and the ability to do what they want they want with them.

Digital games on average are still more expensive than physical outside of storefront sales. Even if the storefront has it cheaper, physical is still better because you’re still getting something out of it when you sell or trade it in for another game. You don’t lose anything.

A limited edition and out of print physical copy resale value is always high regardless if the game is available digitally.

The “saves space” argument for digital games is a poor excuse imo. My hundreds of blurays and games are in the corner of my room and in my closet. Ain’t in nobody’s way and is unobtrusive.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Again doesn't matter if the box contains a disc or a digital code. When you purchase that item from a retailer then that goes down as a physical sale
Which is silly, and should be changed to better reflect what it actually is - a digital sale.

None of your points really changes what I said. Games being available digitally doesn’t change why people prefer physical media and the ability to do what they want they want with them.

Digital games on average are still more expensive than physical outside of storefront sales. Even if the storefront has it cheaper, physical is still better because you’re still getting something out of it when you sell or trade it in for another game. You don’t lose anything.

A limited edition and out of print physical copy resale value is always high regardless if the game is available digitally.

The “saves space” argument for digital games is a poor excuse imo. My hundreds of blurays and games are in the corner of my room and in my closet. Ain’t in nobody’s way and is unobtrusive.
It's not a poor excuse at all. Again - how much room do your 500 blu-rays take up? Can you easily transport your entire collection at a seconds notice to a different house, by yourself, while having a hand free to open and close the door and lock up the house? No.

You prefer physical for being able to sell/trade, but it doesn't sound like you sell/trade your blu-rays very often if you have 500 of them? Most of us just don't care about being able to sell or trade, so that benefit of physical is irrelevant. What you do lose by going physical is having all your collection on tap whenever, wherever you are, and you never have to waste time changing discs and uninstalling/reinstalling games and so on.

Both have benefits, both have drawbacks. In 2022 more and more people prefer the benefits that digital gives over physical, which is why digital is taking over. Your same arguments applied to the music and movie industries, both of which are now almost dead physically.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

Digital has sales too. Add that to the gold/ps+ sales on top of regular sales. I dont get why people ignore this part. If you sell your game, you lose access to it, period. Yes, you got some money back, but you lost the access of that game.

You have to be lucky to get these. But this is just limited games. Not every game does that. And if you sell it, you lose access to that game.

I would rather have digital library, then having a shelf full of games. I am person with big family. There is risk of losing these games to the kids. I cant have that responsibility. Plus its convenient to have digital store.

People want convenience. That is why digital purchases is better.

kingfey

Banned
But its digital code. Its not a disc. This literally discredits the physical disc copies sold. Since it contains digital copy sales in form of physical sales.

But its digital code. Its not a disc. This literally discredits the physical disc copies sold. Since it contains digital copy sales in form of physical sales.

Because again it is a physical sale. You are still getting a physical item

You can't report it as a digital sale when you didn't buy it digitally.

Last edited:

ZehDon

I think kingfey kingfey is saying that the Xbox having a supposedly higher percentage of digital sales than the PC did can't be right purely because there is apparently no way to buy Elden Ring for PC physically. This was the line in the OP I believe that is the culprit:

How can only 73% of PC Elden Ring sales be digital when it supposedly only released digitally?

If however it did get a PC physical release then yeh you're right.
Elden Ring does have a physical release. Note, it's a game box that provides a digital code in the case and not a disc, alongside the physical goodies. I presume this is tracked as a physical sale.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Elden Ring does have a physical release. Note, it's a game box that provides a digital code in the case and not a disc, alongside the physical goodies. I presume this is tracked as a physical sale.
Yeah I googled it myself and saw that, though "physical release" is a bit dubious. Selling a box with a download code for a digital copy should not be counted as a physical copy. Like I said in another post, should a digital copy bought using retail-purchased xbox/playstation credit count as a physical copy too?

That's definitely a metric that needs to change IMO.

It's not though. You buy it and it's a physical item that gets delivered to your house
And you redeem the code and then can throw away the entire thing that got delivered to your house and somehow still play the game. You can't re-sell or trade the game. It's a digital game and should be tracked as such.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
Although most people already knew this, its nice to get some hard data to show Xbox users buy digital way more than PS users (90% for Vanguard too). The 'UK boxed physical sales' threads were beyond cringe and frustrating when people already knew this but pretended they didnt so they could console war.

Sigh........

A high digital ratio for Xbox doesn’t mean higher overall digital sales. Or sales in general.

The physical U.K. sales is relevant because it provides actual data. Not complete data but available sales data nonetheless. Only reason Xbox fans don’t like it is because it doesn’t put the consoles software sales on a good light.

U.K. sales data often is a good representation of sales elsewhere and globally. This new data with digital doesn’t change that. Total sales will probably have the same large percentage difference that physical had.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Sigh........

A high digital ratio for Xbox doesn’t mean higher overall digital sales. Or sales in general.

The physical U.K. sales is relevant because it provides actual data. Not complete data but available sales data nonetheless. Only reason Xbox fans don’t like it is because it doesn’t put the consoles software sales on a good light.

U.K. sales data often is a good representation of sales elsewhere and globally. This new data with digital doesn’t change that. Total sales will probably have the same large percentage difference that physical had.
That poster didn't say that a high digital ratio for xbox means higher overall digital sales, just that a higher percentage of xbox users buy digitally compared to playstation users. That's literally what the data showed here.

To say the ONLY reason people don't like UK Physical Sales threads is because it makes xbox look bad is ridiculous. As this showed, if there was a UK Physical Sales thread about Elden Ring, it would show a split of like 95/5 in favour of Playstation. We know for a fact that is not right, because physical sales for Xbox were only 15% of the total Xbox sales, whereas they were 50% for Playstation.

The opposite of what you said is more likely to be true - the only reason people love the UK Physical Sales threads is because it paints the Playstation software sales in a better light than they actually are. It's not just Elden Ring either, it has been confirmed time and time again by numerous data providing sources that the percentage of Xbox sales that are digital is much higher than those of playstation sales, which literally then renders any conclusion you can come to based on UK Physical Sales other than "Playstation owners in the UK buy physical copies more than they buy digital copies, which is the opposite of xbox owners" is wrong.

UK sales data might be a good representation of sales globally, but only when it includes digital and physical! Physical alone, or digital alone, is not a good representation of sales elsewhere or globally. Now that we have a more "whole picture" of UK sales including physical and digital, we see that as expected, sales ratios between consoles match almost perfectly with the install base ratios.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
Which is silly, and should be changed to better reflect what it actually is - a digital sale.

It's not a poor excuse at all. Again - how much room do your 500 blu-rays take up? Can you easily transport your entire collection at a seconds notice to a different house, by yourself, while having a hand free to open and close the door and lock up the house? No.

You prefer physical for being able to sell/trade, but it doesn't sound like you sell/trade your blu-rays very often if you have 500 of them? Most of us just don't care about being able to sell or trade, so that benefit of physical is irrelevant. What you do lose by going physical is having all your collection on tap whenever, wherever you are, and you never have to waste time changing discs and uninstalling/reinstalling games and so on.

Both have benefits, both have drawbacks. In 2022 more and more people prefer the benefits that digital gives over physical, which is why digital is taking over. Your same arguments applied to the music and movie industries, both of which are now almost dead physically.

All this sounds like you’re trying real hard to find something not like about physical media.

Nothing you mentioned is an issue at all. Physical being difficult to move out the house? Really? Ok.

I love when people bring up movies and music. 2 formats where a digital option has been around since forever and yet both are still available to buy physically. It’s even more telling with music.

Stop trying to force people into this digital trap that only benefits the corporations. The only benefit you get is.......convenience????? You can keep that thanks.

MrFunSocks

Banned
All this sounds like you’re trying real hard to find something not like about physical media.

Nothing you mentioned is an issue at all. Physical being difficult to move out the house? Really? Ok.

I love when people bring up movies and music. 2 formats where a digital option has been around since forever and yet both are still available to buy physically. It’s even more telling with music.

Stop trying to force people into this digital trap that only benefits the corporations. The only benefit you get is.......convenience????? You can keep that thanks.
Ok so it's clear you're not reading what I'm saying.

Can you watch anything from your library on any tablet, smartphone, computer, or tv in your house at any time? No. I can.

Can you share your entire library with friends and family that live next door, or even across the other side of the world, instantly? No. I can.

Can you physically move your entire collection with one hand if an emergency was to happen, like oh I don't know the gigantic flooding that is happening here in my country right now that's causing people to have *minutes* to grab belongings before it's all washed away? No. I can. I can literally grab my entire lifes music, movie, tv, photo, and document collection in one hand at a minutes notice and take it with me. You could grab what, maybe a box of 30-40 blu-ray discs?

For some reason you and a few other "physical or death" people keep saying that people that prefer digital are actively wishing for physical sales to disappear. No one is doing that.

Saying "the only benefit you get is......convenience????" is showing that you're either not understanding the points being put forward, or you're just unwilling to accept that you might be wrong.

I mean I could give you a link right here right now to be able to watch any of the 4000+ movies I have on my NAS, on your device that you're posting from. Can you do that with physical copies? No. Is that not a benefit?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

That's why I wrote "12% of all units sold".
That is exactly the difference between Xbox and PS. I do not insist on winning this argument though because I urgently need to get some sleep now :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_sleeping:

I wouldn't worry about it. You were clear enough with your intention, heaven forbid you don't present the information like an accountant. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

On Demand

Banned
Digital has sales too. Add that to the gold/ps+ sales on top of regular sales. I dont get why people ignore this part. If you sell your game, you lose access to it, period. Yes, you got some money back, but you lost the access of that game.
I know digital has sales. That’s why I said on average digital is still more expensive than physical except when stores have a sale. But even with sales physical is still more beneficial.

I don’t care if “lose access” to my game. I sold or traded it for a reason. Stupid point to bring up honestly.

You have to be lucky to get these. But this is just limited games. Not every game does that. And if you sell it, you lose access to that game.

It’s irrelevant if not all games have a high resale value. The point is the option there. Low sale or high sale. You’re getting money back.

You keep saying this “lose access.” It doesn’t sound as good as you think it does nor does it really make any kind of sense.

When you sell something you have to give it away. News at 11? WTF lmao.

I would rather have digital library, then having a shelf full of games. I am person with big family. There is risk of losing these games to the kids. I cant have that responsibility. Plus its convenient to have digital store.

People want convenience. That is why digital purchases is better.

That’s you.

You like what you like and I like what I Ike. That’s why BOTH options should always be available so people have a choice what they want.

Happily cheering physical media going away is nonsensical and detrimental to consumer ownership.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
You like what you like and I like what I Ike. That’s why BOTH options should always be available so people have a choice what they want.

Happily cheering physical media going away is nonsensical and detrimental to consumer ownership.
Who here is actually "happily chering physical media going away" though? You're inventing arguments to then argue against.

Naked Lunch

Elden Ring had a huge day one patch - making the physical version essentially pointless.
As someone who has a big game collection with a couple book shelves of stuff from past gens - ive made my peace that those days are over.
New gens are digital only. Full stop.
Actually, im kind of glad because I wouldnt have the room to keep adding to it.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Most games with smart delivery only appear on the Xbox store once, as a single SKU.
Yes. Xbox Store digital.
Retail have two SKUs I guess (not sure about Elden Ring).
I will check but here I normally see two different covers for Xbox games.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Elden Ring had a huge day one patch - making the physical version essentially pointless.
As someone who has a big game collection with a couple book shelves of stuff from past gens - ive made my peace that those days are over.
New gens are digital only. Full stop.
Actually, im kind of glad because I wouldnt have the room to keep adding to it.
I've gone so far as to be trying to buy every physical game that I have from previous generations digitally as well. All of my physical games are stored away in sealed boxes, and I don't want to have to fish them out and the consoles to play them on - consoles that will one day stop working as well by the way, rendering your physical collection literally unplayable.

On Demand

Banned
That poster didn't say that a high digital ratio for xbox means higher overall digital sales, just that a higher percentage of xbox users buy digitally compared to playstation users. That's literally what the data showed here.

To say the ONLY reason people don't like UK Physical Sales threads is because it makes xbox look bad is ridiculous. As this showed, if there was a UK Physical Sales thread about Elden Ring, it would show a split of like 95/5 in favour of Playstation. We know for a fact that is not right, because physical sales for Xbox were only 15% of the total Xbox sales, whereas they were 50% for Playstation.

The opposite of what you said is more likely to be true - the only reason people love the UK Physical Sales threads is because it paints the Playstation software sales in a better light than they actually are. It's not just Elden Ring either, it has been confirmed time and time again by numerous data providing sources that the percentage of Xbox sales that are digital is much higher than those of playstation sales, which literally then renders any conclusion you can come to based on UK Physical Sales other than "Playstation owners in the UK buy physical copies more than they buy digital copies, which is the opposite of xbox owners" is wrong.

UK sales data might be a good representation of sales globally, but only when it includes digital and physical! Physical alone, or digital alone, is not a good representation of sales elsewhere or globally. Now that we have a more "whole picture" of UK sales including physical and digital, we see that as expected, sales ratios between consoles match almost perfectly with the install base ratios.

Global sales of Elden Ring is not going to have the same ratio as the U.K. sales with digital. The sales difference is going to be even bigger.

People downplay the physical U.K. chart because feelings then when total sales data comes in it’s basically inline with the sales difference.

You people keep underestimating PlayStation’s global presence.

Naked Lunch

I've gone so far as to be trying to buy every physical game that I have from previous generations digitally as well. All of my physical games are stored away in sealed boxes, and I don't want to have to fish them out and the consoles to play them on - consoles that will one day stop working as well by the way, rendering your physical collection literally unplayable.
Ive done the same with alot of my 360 library over the years - in anticipation all xboxes would carry over the BC program - which has happened leading into the series line. Buying stuff on sale for $3 digitally thru the years, and then I wouldnt have to worry about digging out the disc.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Global sales of Elden Ring is not going to have the same ratio as the U.K. sales with digital. The sales difference is going to be even bigger.

People downplay the physical U.K. chart because feelings then when total sales data comes in it’s basically inline with the sales difference.

Ok, so you're saying that the UK Sales numbers are NOT representative of other markets now?

People "downplay" the physical UK chart for the exact reasons that I just gave you, which I guess I can give you again since you clearly didn't read them:

As this showed, if there was a UK Physical Sales thread about Elden Ring, it would show a split of like 95/5 in favour of Playstation. We know for a fact that is not right, because physical sales for Xbox were only 15% of the total Xbox sales, whereas they were 50% for Playstation.

It's not just Elden Ring either, it has been confirmed time and time again by numerous data providing sources that the percentage of Xbox sales that are digital is much higher than those of playstation sales, which literally then renders any conclusion you can come to based on UK Physical Sales other than "Playstation owners in the UK buy physical copies more than they buy digital copies, which is the opposite of xbox owners" is wrong.

No one is underestimating Playstations global presence. That's not the topic at hand. The topic at hand is "can you extrapolate physical UK sales to worldwide sales?" and the answer is a definitive "No".

The two of you post like you’re working PR for a digital corporation’s marketing. Along with some other posters.
I'm sure you don't even see the irony in that post.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yeah, no that's not the point here.

The whole point of this topic is to show how the first boxed physical only numbers we got were incredibly misleading for the total sales numbers we have now.

Just as a reminder, this is what the boxed only numbers were that a lot of people declared unanimous victory with:

63% of boxed sales were on PS5, with 17% on Xbox, 17% on PS4 and 3% on PC. Note: PC and Xbox are heavily digital platforms, this is purely for boxed sales.

Now compare this with the numbers we have now to see the massive difference.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Yeah, no that's not the point here.

The whole point of this topic is to show how the first boxed physical only numbers we got were incredibly misleading for the total sales numbers we have now.

Just as a reminder, this is what the boxed only numbers were that a lot of people declared unanimous victory with:

Now compare this with the numbers we have now to see the massive difference.
Exactly. It went from PS having a whopping 80% of the sales of Elden Ring in the UK, which of course we can then take as gospel ratios for the rest of the world, all the way down to PS only having 41% of the total sales in the UK. The PS market share literally halved when you include digital sales lol.

NinjaBoiX

xbox has stocked and sold them mostly the cheap console without a disc drive. Nothing to do with gamepass.
Yes, their service that allows you to download games digitally for a fee has had zero impact on digital sales.

Non at all…

Three

Yes, their service that allows you to download games digitally for a fee has had zero impact on digital sales.

Non at all…
What affect would it have on digital bought games? If it's just the fact that they got used to hitting download why wouldn't PS+ or GWG already have had that effect seeing as a larger majority are subscribed to those?

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

What affect would it have on digital bought games? If it's just the fact that they got used to hitting download why wouldn't PS+ or GWG already have had that affect seeing as a larger majority are subscribed to those?
Well you could argue one way or the other about how it might affect one platform more than others.

But to say it has nothing to do with gamepass is just absurd.

onQ123

Exactly. It went from PS having a whopping 80% of the sales of Elden Ring in the UK, which of course we can then take as gospel ratios for the rest of the world, all the way down to PS only having 41% of the total sales in the UK. The PS market share literally halved when you include digital sales lol.
You really tried this ? The 80% was physical & didn't include PC the 41% is overall and included the PC . Without the PC the game still sold ~ 60% on Playstation

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
You really tried this ? The 80% was physical & didn't include PC the 41% is overall and included the PC . Without the PC the game sill sold ~ 60% on Playstation
I see you've completely missed the point of my post, but that was expected at this stage.

People claimed that because physical was 80% Playstation that meant that even when you add digital in it would be 80% because of how indicative UK Physical sales are of the entire global market.

That claim then went down in flames when the digital figures were announced which reduced Sony's 80% share down to 41%.

Last edited:
Top Bottom