• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Rings UK Sales Were 70~85% Digital. PS5 ~50% Digital - Xbox ~85% Digital - Breakdown By Platform Inside

Stuart360

Those are estimated combined UK console sales. So
ps4+ps5 and xbox one+Series s/x respectively.
Well when did we ever get any UK console numbers?, especially for Xbox.
Still its more of less where both sides should be given the numbers.

Lognor

Banned
Damn!

We knew Xbox gamers skewed more digital than Sony gamers, but had no idea the discrepancy was that big! 84% vs 50%. Huge difference! I think Game Pass has a lot to do with this. Microsoft really embraced digital early on and it is showing now.

And people were angry when it was said the majority of players would be on PS.

It was mostly PC players angry at this tbh.

true. out of all console franchises (franchise that originated from console) Soulsborne franchise is the one PC fanbase coveted the most. They begged for Demon's Souls, they begged Dark Souls for the longest time, finally got it a year later after console release. They are still begging for Bloodborne.....They want to claim this franchise as it's 'PC franchise'

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why would we use estimated global install base instead of estimated UK install base to discuss UK sales relative to install base?

The global figure was a figure of speech as I don't know what the breakdown of total PS4 sales in the UK are. If you know, please correct me.

What's this got to do with justifying anything or things having to be 1:1?

You said it's suprising with such a huge PS install base it was only 10% off. I said it's actually not that suprising if you use the relevant correct percentage and that it matches up with the install base quite well, it's even slightly higher than the install base.

That's what I'm saying, you're drawing a direct line between console sales and game sales, for a franchise that is heavily associated with PS, it should have had a slant. But it doesn't. Folks on the Xbox want to buy/play this as much as folks on PS.

Well when did we ever get any UK console numbers?, especially for Xbox.
Still its more of less where both sides should be given the numbers.

We didn't, this is just going on assumptions and guesstimates.

Last edited:

NickFire

Yeah but taking that 9% away in this case makes the PS5 and Xbox sales neck and neck at 32% and 29% respectively.

It obviously varies case by case, but my original point still stands that everyone jumped the gun way early based on that physical retail only sales topic.

The game's selling pretty competitively on the Xbox. That's the key takeaway.
I agree it's selling well (as it should because it is awesome). I would not compare PS5 only sales with all Xbox sales to support that argument though. That would be a bad comparison that misleadingly paints MS sales in a bad light.

Lognor

Banned
true. out of all console franchises (franchise that originated from console) Soulsborne franchise is the one PC fanbase coveted the most. They begged for Demon's Souls, they begged Dark Souls for the longest time, finally got it a year later after console release. They are still begging for Bloodborne.....They want to claim this franchise as it's 'PC franchise'
I can't tell if this is sarcasm. I haven't seen this type of response from PC gamers. Who are you talking about specifically?

Why would PC gamers want to claim this as a PC franchise when it started on Playstation and PC was getting Dark Souls games after console release. No sane person was claiming this as a PC franchise.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah it's crazy that the ps4 and ps5 userbase only accounted for 11 percent more sales than pc, 12 percent more than xbox.
It is 36.6% more sales than PC and 41.3% more sales than Xbox...

A lot of people don't understand percentages. They get misinterpreted all the time on here.

41 - 29 = 12. 12/29 = 41.3 percentage increase between 29% to 41%.
And they keep doing it wrong lol

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Consoles in Uk
PS: 57%
Xbox: 43%

So if anything it sold slightly less than the expected install base on xbox.
Where’d you get these console splits? One of your mates gave numbers earlier and it worked out to be a minimum of about 40% bigger install base on playstation, which corresponds nicely with the game selling ~40% more on PlayStation.

On another thing being thrown around in here - the revisionist history of the transition to digital sales needs to stop. The majority of all video games sales on consoles were digital long before game pass.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No, Playstation gamers have unlimited money. It's why they don't want a game pass like service. They love to buy games.
Or they do not want a repeat of software sales on the App Store and the spiralling down of perceived value of items (welcome F2P heaven eh 😂 or Netflixication of games… welcome episodic games future) and are willing to pay for shit instead.

Lognor

Banned
Can we please stop putting so much emphasis on UK physical sales now please? Especially for Xbox. When 84%+ of Xbox game sales are digital, physical sales mean very little! Game Pass got Xboxers to embrace that digital future!

kirby007

does that 2% swing in favor of PS based on userbase weigh up against the extra cost per unit for having more physical sales? doubt

You also got 6000 reward points for the Xbox digital purchase, I think Gamepass has really normalised digital for a lot of Xbox owners.

I buy digital as I game share with my brother.

The 6000 points quest was a great bonus for buying this, the fact it wasn't £60-£70 wuid also helped

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Maybe a large portion of them had just purchased HFW, or saving for GT7 perhaps?
Yup, playstation has been feasting this last few weeks. Some big hitters.
It is 36.6% more sales than PC and 41.3% more sales than Xbox...

And they keep doing it wrong lol

What, so if we look at it as a percentage so 100% was hypertheyically 100 units 41 units went to playstation, 30 went to pc and 29 went to xbox. I don't know why you are making it more complicated than it is.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
How far are you into it? I've played every souls game minus Sekiro and i put it up there iwth BloodBourn as the best.
Not too much I didn't want to get too into it because I'm playing HFW at the moment and I didn't want to be jumping between the two or putting one aside midway through to play the other.
But from what I played it just felt like what you expect from a souls game.
Graphically...I can see the improvements but I don't know.
I'm not too impressed by it, rather more disappointed.
The art direction does the heavy lifting here as always.

ethomaz

Banned
What, so if we look at it as a percentage so 100% was hypertheyically 100 units 41 units went to playstation, 30 went to pc and 29 went to xbox. I don't know why you are making it more complicated than it is.
Complicated?

30 to 41 is 36.6% more sales.
29 to 41 is 41.3% more sales.
or
30 to 41 is 11 more (unit) sales.
29 to 41 is 12 more (unit) sales.

That is the basic, simple, and right way to use the "more sales".
You used % so 11% and 12% are wrong.

12% more sales over 29% means PS5 sold 32.48%.

Last edited:

Markio128

It should, there’s over 100 million ps4s and more ppl with ps5s, duh
Bloody hell, I didn’t realise Sony had sold 100 million PS4s in the UK.
monty python ugh GIF

Very good for Elden Ring. Did I read correctly or did they say Elden Ring sold much better then Horizon:FW? What was Sony thinking releasing Horizon so close to Elden Ring? I guaranteed Elden Ring took some sales from Horizon especially since they are similar to each other. Why do companies keep doing this to their games?

Zeroing

Banned
I usually don’t read often to these type of threads because I am bad at math!

everyone is an expert except me :(

Rockman33

Someone else already questioned that and were proven wrong. Even in 2016 digital sales were estimated around 80%.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/elde...own-by-platform-inside.1631706/post-265734224
That article is including PC and in game purchases.
Someone else already questioned that and were proven wrong. Even in 2016 digital sales were estimated around 80%.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/elde...own-by-platform-inside.1631706/post-265734224
That’s including PC and in game purchases. Look at that article.

It should, there’s over 100 million ps4s and more ppl with ps5s, duh
If I remember correctly, this was even the case when the PS3 and X360 were close in hardware numbers. This is definitely a good percentage for Elden Ring on XBOX especially for a Japanese game, but third party games in general normally always sold better on PlayStation by a significant amount. FF15, RE8, MGS5 and Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a great example.

arvfab

Banned
Great numbers for From. And to think many Playstation players probably skipped it for Horizon or GT7, potentially that PS percentage could have been even higher.

onQ123

You realize the retail splits in the UK thread have a split way higher than 40%?

What sane folks are saying is that using the UK retail splits to infer anything makes no sense. Not sure why that’s controversial for you
No one ever said that retail was the be all information for sells it still give us a idea of how games are selling.

MrFunSocks

Banned
If I remember correctly, this was even the case when the PS3 and X360 were close in hardware numbers. This is definitely a good percentage for Elden Ring on XBOX especially for a Japanese game, but third party games in general normally always sold better on PlayStation by a significant amount. FF15, RE8, MGS5 and Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a great example.
Nice cherry-picking of games that were long time playstation exclusive franchises lol.

Third party game sales generally always sell proportionally to install base of the consoles. There will be exceptions obviously, like the cherry-picked ones you chose, but even those will eventually even out as the franchises release more on both consoles.

reksveks

Very good for Elden Ring. Did I read correctly or did they say Elden Ring sold much better then Horizon:FW? What was Sony thinking releasing Horizon so close to Elden Ring? I guaranteed Elden Ring took some sales from Horizon especially since they are similar to each other. Why do companies keep doing this to their games?
Slightly beat FW on PS consoles and then obviously much better overall. This is just UK numbers. Think it did much better in Japan, 275k vs 91k just on ps consoles.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Complicated?

30 to 41 is 36.6% more sales.
29 to 41 is 41.3% more sales.
or
30 to 41 is 11 more (unit) sales.
29 to 41 is 12 more (unit) sales.

That is the basic, simple, and right way to use the "more sales".
You used % so 11% and 12% are wrong.

12% more sales over 29% means PS5 sold 32.48%.

So it's either a difference of 12% if you count PS5 only sales, or 41% if you count PS5+PS4 sales. Not bad, not even a 1.5x difference, let alone the 2-3x difference some people were thinking of.

Too bad that last Uk physical sales topic got nuked, would have been interesting to pick out posts from it.

kingfey

Banned
Well this is only U.K. data and we don’t know the either consoles hardware sales.

I think the sales difference from this single region is significant seeing how this is Xbox second biggest market.

World wide sales the sales difference will obviously be much more than just 12%.
World wide would go for Sony, since they have 10m Playstation console on Japan, and MS has 300k Xbox on japan. And the game is a Japanese game.
Its useless comparison to have. Sony always wins Japanese games comfortably, because of that.

Three

That's what I'm saying, you're drawing a direct line between console sales and game sales, for a franchise that is heavily associated with PS, it should have had a slant.
But I didn't draw a line. You did:

"The argument that the much lesser install base on the Xbox accounted for only 10% less sales is pleasantly surprising."

I just said it's not suprising based on install base and not far off it. It's not the 10% you should be using for that.
Where’d you get these console splits? One of your mates gave numbers earlier and it worked out to be a minimum of about 40% bigger install base on playstation, which corresponds nicely with the game selling ~40% more on PlayStation.

On another thing being thrown around in here - the revisionist history of the transition to digital sales needs to stop. The majority of all video games sales on consoles were digital long before game pass.
They are the exact estimates that one of my mates used. It's just a different way of looking at results and associated rounding.

Last edited:

kirby007

If this thread is to be believed on the importance of of that number 41% i'm quite sure the BAMCO CEO writes it on his balls and rubs them into phils face.

DaGwaphics

The people trying to use this to discredit the UK threads do realize that the game still sold 40% more on PlayStation right?

You realize they have 100% more potential buyers right? You do the math. Plus the split between these consoles was 60:40, so only a 20% advantage.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

60 is 50% more than 40 not 20% what type of math are you doing?

It's a 60:40 split (roughly). A 20% differential in console sales. LOL

We only have percentages to work with. But lets say that 100k copies were sold on console. 41.42% would be sold on Xbox with 58.58% sold on PS. Or 41.4k in this example vs. 58.6k on PS, a sales difference of 17.2k or roughly 20% of the total console sales. Not bad at all given PS consoles outnumber Xbox consoles more than 2 to 1 in this region. The attach rate on Xbox was much higher than PS here.

Last edited:
I've never been a digital only person, and I've mostly gamed on sony products prior to getting the series s/x. Since getting my Xbox consoles... I've only bought digital. Its just so much more convenient, especially with Gamepass.

Whilst I'm sure numbers will always be better on PlayStation, I have been saying for a while that digital numbers is much more important on xbox.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
fuck me, Feel like I’m Back in school having a maths lesson.

what is crazy is a lot of people thought horizon forbidden west would outsell Elden Ring but Elden ring just came out swinging and curbed stomped it in sales.

onQ123

It's a 60:40 split (roughly). A 20% differential in console sales. LOL

We only have percentages to work with. But lets say that 100k copies were sold on console. 41.42% would be sold on Xbox with 58.58% sold on PS. Or 41.4k in this example vs. 58.6k on PS, a sales difference of 17.2k or roughly 20% of the total console sales. Not bad at all given PS consoles outnumber Xbox consoles more than 2 to 1 in this region. The attach rate on Xbox was much higher than PS here.

The difference is 12% though.

Y'all need to stop this lol

Use full context

say the game sold 41% more on PlayStation vs Xbox

or

the game sold 27% less on Xbox vs PlayStation

Top Bottom