• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING | Reviews Mega Thread

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It was not. I covered AI and its lack of reactions and why that might be and how it worked in mine
Props to your review and coverage, man. You have been great on highlighting the performance issues on this game. I spent hours tinkering and now have mine in a playable state, mainly locked 60fps for 90 percent of play but that 10 percent where it obviously streaming in areas is rough. Framerate tanking to in the 30s for a few seconds then back to 60.

fromsoft need to patch this asap, because the game is absolutely brilliant imo. Your videos gaining traction should hopefully put a fire up their ass.

You are one of the best in the biz, appreciate the hard work massively!

Last edited:

yodine53

if you are a dev and you think a bunch of idiots who barely know how to hold a controller giving you an award means something, you are a fucking idiot yes...
Hahahahaha " I don't know a thing about a theme, but i'm gonna give my opinion anyway". GDC and DICE are voted by developers. But you could be right! Not everyone use consoles to play games or controllers, even the creators of our games :)

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Those birds at Stormveil are my least favorite enemy ever. They suck to fight. Yet I keep coming back.

Edit: whoops! Meant this for the OT.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Those birds at Stormveil are my least favorite enemy ever. They suck to fight. Yet I keep coming back.

Those bats you mean?

Man, getting there with that wind blowing around.. Stormy weather <3

They also captured that dream like ambience with it's lighting

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Game is fun and has potential. But as usual it lacks basic things like polish and QOL aspects.

You can't even compare items in the store to what you are wearing. I shouldn't have to take pictures of my tv or be writing down stats in the year 2022.

Enjoying it for what it is, but 10/10 across the board. I have to disagree.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

There won't be a single game that will outscore this in 2022.

Forbidden West only got an 88 whereas Zero Dawn had a 89.

So Ragnarok will score less than GoW '18 in all likelihood as well seeing as Forbidden West was a bigger jump and still scored less than its predecessor. Ragnarok will settle around a 92 or 93 tops.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I think it’s obvious at this point that current journalists have certain soft spot for FROM, Naughty Dog, Rockstar, Santa Monica and the 3D Mario and Zelda teams at Nintendo. All the games they make are great but they seem to have a +5 added to their Metacritic because of who they’re.

Last edited:

Vaelka

The performance issues are really bad and unacceptable, that aside the game is truly something else.
I was completely blown away and I was EXTREMELY skeptical at first because of the open world.
The early areas don't really sell just how great the world is it gets so much better.

My main issue outside of performance issues ( and some bosses that are a bit questionable, some entered cheese territory )is that the female gear just looks like it's a male character wearing it.
The only difference it feels is the face, the other Souls games actually made it look more like it's a female character wearing it most of the time.
And there's also a ton of clipping problems that are very obvious and noticeable.
I couldn't really find any gear that I liked because I always felt like I was playing a dude constantly.

Last edited:
Game is fun and has potential. But as usual it lacks basic things like polish and QOL aspects.

You can't even compare items in the store to what you are wearing. I shouldn't have to take pictures of my tv or be writing down stats in the year 2022.

Enjoying it for what it is, but 10/10 across the board. I have to disagree.
i spent 1000 runes on gloves that were worse than the ones i was wearing

fart town usa

Gold Member
The game is amazing, but there is no denying that it should probably have been knocked for its technical issues but reviews need to be revisited imo. so knock it and then raise the score later if the game is patched and issues are resolved.

Just my opinion.
Yea, I don't understand why reviewers have to associate 10/10 scores with GOAT status and all that.

To me, a game can be a 10/10 but still have issues and not be considered the GOAT. Elden Ring is awesome, I'm really enjoying it but there's so much hyperbole from places. I mean, it is what it is, I honestly don't really care. Just seems dumb cause it creates a backlash and From Software is the one that will get the brunt of the backlash.

What's so wrong with stating, "this game is a 10/10 because it's damn fun and 100% worth playing, it's not perfect by any means, there are bugs that will need to be fixed but it's still an amazing game that provides you with hundreds of hours worth of exploration and combat..."

OZ9000

Banned
I genuinely do not know why this game is so highly rated.

It's not a game designed for a casual player. You have to put in a lot of fucking hours to even make any meaningful progress. It feels like such a grind.

I kind of wish they would do away with the 'lose your souls' mechanic. This isn't fun. I would have much more fun with Elden Ring if there was no death penalty.

Alphagear

Definitely doesn't deserve a Metacritic of 97 but I am not surprised.

It was the same case with BOTW. Zelda went massive open world and gets perfect scores as if it is the first game to do it. A revolution in videogames.

Souls goes massive open world and reviewers who are mostly Souls fans raving that it is revolutionary.

Games like Witcher and Elder Scrolls have been doing the same thing for over a decade.

Don't get me wrong, BOTW and Elden Ring are great games but Revolutionary and deserving of 10s. Come on now.

Last edited:
The world is interesting. The whole experience keeps me coming back for more. My other games are on idle right now cause all it is is Elden Ring day and night. The other night I played for 5 hours straight.

I now see why this is getting glowing reviews. There's nothing out there like this.

I genuinely do not know why this game is so highly rated.

It's not a game designed for a casual player. You have to put in a lot of fucking hours to even make any meaningful progress. It feels like such a grind.

I kind of wish they would do away with the 'lose your souls' mechanic. This isn't fun. I would have much more fun with Elden Ring if there was no death penalty.
lex-luthor-wrong.gif

Yeah that's the point? Game reviews are opinions? Or do you think there something else
"Stalin/Hitler/Mussolini/Etc. was evil"

"Well that's just like, consensus opinion, man"

At some point if enough people say something is good/bad, it's objectively good or bad.

Does that mean you agree? No, you don't have to agree with anything. There's people who think the Earth is flat and lizard people rule it from underneath us.

"Stalin/Hitler/Mussolini/Etc. was evil"

"Well that's just like, consensus opinion, man"

At some point if enough people say something is good/bad, it's objectively good or bad.

Does that mean you agree? No, you don't have to agree with anything. There's people who think the Earth is flat and lizard people rule it from underneath us.
You can't be serious with that comment? Loads of people thought smoking was in the 50s was good didn't that make it good!!?

The lack of any guidance on where u need to go is just a dick punch at least for me after the 3rd main boss I'm just going around in circles defeating world bosss and just doing random stuff without knowing what to do

begotten

The lack of any guidance on where u need to go is just a dick punch at least for me after the 3rd main boss I'm just going around in circles defeating world bosss and just doing random stuff without knowing what to do

Get more grace sites and try looking at the map more, it gives you a general direction for each area for mandatory places / bosses.

This is one of those things that’s is a plus for some and a negative for others….I would just go online and check the Wiki.

Yea, I don't understand why reviewers have to associate 10/10 scores with GOAT status and all that.

To me, a game can be a 10/10 but still have issues and not be considered the GOAT. Elden Ring is awesome, I'm really enjoying it but there's so much hyperbole from places. I mean, it is what it is, I honestly don't really care. Just seems dumb cause it creates a backlash and From Software is the one that will get the brunt of the backlash.

What's so wrong with stating, "this game is a 10/10 because it's damn fun and 100% worth playing, it's not perfect by any means, there are bugs that will need to be fixed but it's still an amazing game that provides you with hundreds of hours worth of exploration and combat..."
But, Elden Ring IS the GOAT.

Mossybrew

Coming in with a very anti-Souls bias, I played like four hours initially and was very harsh on this game. Now that I'm about 25 hours in, that may have been the most incorrect first impression I've ever had of a game. I still feel it's a bit overrated, it's not like OMG GOAT to me, but it sure is an addictive, unique experience that once you dig into, you realize it really is a much, much more forgiving way to play a Souls-like game. All this time, I've never even SEEN the first "required" boss, and just realized you can bypass the castle, and there's a huge zone up there. This game is massive, and there really are a mind boggling amount of things to do and places to explore if you find a boss or area too hard. That kind of freedom of choice, plus the plentitude of revive points, and free fast travel, make all the difference between this and a regular Souls game where tough bosses simply roadblock you.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Coming in with a very anti-Souls bias, I played like four hours initially and was very harsh on this game. Now that I'm about 25 hours in, that may have been the most incorrect first impression I've ever had of a game. I still feel it's a bit overrated, it's not like OMG GOAT to me, but it sure is an addictive, unique experience that once you dig into, you realize it really is a much, much more forgiving way to play a Souls-like game. All this time, I've never even SEEN the first "required" boss, and just realized you can bypass the castle, and there's a huge zone up there. This game is massive, and there really are a mind boggling amount of things to do and places to explore if you find a boss or area too hard. That kind of freedom of choice, plus the plentitude of revive points, and free fast travel, make all the difference between this and a regular Souls game where tough bosses simply roadblock you.
Yea, dude. I went that route too, can't remember if it was before or after I beat Margit but it's a massive area. So much shit to explore, I spent a good 10 hours up there and probably only scratched the surface.

It is very forgiving too, mini-bosses and bosses can be brutal but getting to them is somewhat painless, at least for me so far. Grace Points are super generous in this game, that might be the main reason it's so addicting for me. I know that there's always gonna be a check point up ahead that I can just fast travel to if I need to leave and focus on something else.

Wtf is Jaffe going on about?

When Ratchet had amazing visuals…”yeah it looks amazing but it could never be a 10 because the gameplay is safe”

When Elden Ring has amazing gameplay and design “yeah, it’s a phenomenal game but it can’t be a 10 because it looks like a PS4 game”

Uhhhhhhh wtf kind of logic is this? Really bizarre take. Visuals have never been a primary reason for high scores, just look at BOTW

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

What's interesting is I'm actually finding the game to continue getting easier as I go along. It felt like the first 10-15 hours were the most difficult.

Fredrik

Jaffe is calling Elden Ring reviews “Stupid” and “Embarrassing”

Jaffe complained about Metroid Dread as well, I’m sure he’a a nice guy and I like his beard but I’ve learned to ignore these type of cranky videos. As I see it he’s really just seeking attention when these popular core games arrive or simply can’t handle when games are challenging him.

Personally I’ve accepted that I’ll most likely never finish Elden Ring, it’s no different than how it is with Ikaruga, I just don’t have it in me anymore, getting old I guess. But this has also made me appreciate my time with the game more, I’m not stuck, there is million places I could go to, I’m not rushing to a goal and become frustrated from not advancing as fast as I should or whatever. I’m just doing escapism in this awesome open world full of amazing exploration.

I was down on it pre-launch but 18 hours in it’s currently one of the most worthy 10/10 games I’ve ever played. Can’t stop thinking about it. I play nothing else.

Needlecrash

I'm really enjoying it so far. The health/FP/Stamina HUD could use a better aesthetic overall, but it's serviceable. I've only knocked out the Tree Sentinel and Leonore boss. Found Patches too. And some dungeon bosses too. I've mainly been exploring and just seeing what the world has to offer. I need better armor though as I'm still using the base one on my build on both PS5/PC.

Wtf is Jaffe going on about?

When Ratchet had amazing visuals…”yeah it looks amazing but it could never be a 10 because the gameplay is safe”

When Elden Ring has amazing gameplay and design “yeah, it’s a phenomenal game but it can’t be a 10 because it looks like a PS4 game”

Uhhhhhhh wtf kind of logic is this? Really bizarre take. Visuals have never been a primary reason for high scores, just look at BOTW
I dunno. Elden Ring looks amazing on PC with everything turned to max. Dunno what Jaffe's smoking.

Top Bottom