• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING | Reviews Mega Thread

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
its all about the context

If you're talking about games being well optimised, as long as it runs to a decent level, nobody really cares - RDR2 was never going to hit a stable framerate on 5 year old hardware looking as amazing as it did. A few frame dips in the towns didn't and shouldn't mark it down when it worked fine. When games become hard to play, that's when you have a problem, but forum dwellers are hyperbolic and think that dips to 27fps are a disaster.

But OOT would be inarguably better at 60fps

Sure, and even better at 120, right? That doesn't mean we mark games up for being able to hit higher frame rates. As long as it's perfectly playable it simply doesn't matter no matter how much we prefer it.

Spaceman292

Banned
Sure, and even better at 120, right? That doesn't mean we mark games up for being able to hit higher frame rates. As long as it's perfectly playable it simply doesn't matter no matter how much we prefer it.
Games are a mixture of artistic and technical factors. Both factor into how good or bad it is.

Considering Souls games have been going for 13 years, it's probably quite hard to find members of staff who don't have experience with Souls games, whether they loved or hated them. Unless you're just starting out, frankly it would be pretty embarrassing to be someone paid to play video games and to have NOT experienced one or more by now considering the industry impact they've had.
Agreed but this isn't necessarily true of other Franchises like Persona. Giving the review to the publication resident fan will likely result in a narrow focus of the review. This is fine on an individual level but when you have a 100 similar reviews on metacritic with very little variation it can be an issue
Frankly I don't want someone that's inexperienced with a genre/subgenre telling me about a game, I want an """expert""" opinion, the word being used very loosely.
Doesn't this suggest that you want some variation in experience or options with individual reviewers? Okay your not interested in beginner reviews but you require a minimum level of knowledge/ competency but just having the super harcore fans do reviews may not be applicable to you?
I don't play JRPGs much but I want the big JRPG fans to recommend to me what they consider the best JRPGs, not someone who played literally one and thought it was great. I can do that myself.
Really? Surely it's likely that you have completely different tastes and preferences to hardcore JRPG players. Obviously they will have greater knowledge than a casual player and are definitely valuable to the consumer. It doesn't necessarily mean they will be good at recommending games you enjoy. I'am like you a very casual JRPG player I loved dragon quest 11 but bounced off Persona 5 hard. Yet if I am to believe metacritic Persona 5 is the better game.
If longtime Souls players band together and say "this is the best one yet" then that information is absolutely valuable to someone who's not played any.
Agreed that is definitely valuable but why can't we have it all?

RexAnglo

Banned
Don’t know, why did you thought it was important to go on a thread to celebrate a game to make everyone know you don’t care about it? Did you want to feel special or something?
I see you aren't very bright, so let me explain it to you in simple language.

This is a forum, and this means people will offer their opinions, and you won't always agree.

Do you understand?

What you are looking for is an echo chamber, a safe space, where everyone agrees - so perhaps try Reset-Eran as it's full of imbeciles who all think the same, so you'll fit right in.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Doesn't this suggest that you want some variation in experience or options with individual reviewers? Okay your not interested in beginner reviews but you require a minimum level of knowledge/ competency but just having the super harcore fans do reviews may not be applicable to you?

Here's the thing - how do you know it's only super hardcore fans reviewing Elden Ring..? Having played the previous games doesn't make you a super hardcore fan. I wouldn't even call myself one and I've beaten everything so far. All I'm looking for are people that are at least a little clued into what From have been doing for the last decade or so, I don't think I've seen any review so far claiming to be written by a superfan who's beaten every game a dozen times over. If they can properly describe how the game has evolved from its predecessors then generally I trust that they know what they're talking about. Alanah Pierce saying that the game "isn't accessible just because you can teleport away from bosses" was a totally bullshit statement and she swiftly deleted the Tweet once she realised because it looked like she had no idea what she's talking about.

Really? Surely it's likely that you have completely different tastes and preferences to hardcore JRPG players. Obviously they will have greater knowledge than a casual player and are definitely valuable to the consumer. It doesn't necessarily mean they will be good at recommending games you enjoy. I'am like you a very casual JRPG player I loved dragon quest 11 but bounced off Persona 5 hard. Yet if I am to believe metacritic Persona 5 is the better game.

Not really, if people deep in FPS games tell me Titanfall 2 has an amazing campaign, I'm definitely more like to trust them than some guy who played the latest COD campaign and said it was rad. No real surprise that the highest rating driving games on MC are Gran Turismo, Burnout, Wipeout, Forza. Works across the board for me and games.

cortadew

Nba Playoffs Crying GIF by NBA

I'm sorry to doubt you even a little, Miyazaki-san.
Miyazaki-sama* fixed ;)

Quote those reviews that mention Xbox, most publications only have PC keys.

- Nothing was changed from Beta
- Performance mode: 45-60fps
- Quality Mode: 30-60fps
- Unlocked framerate for both machines
- 60fps in Quality Mode is rarely hit
- PS5 is typically operating at a higher frame-rate than Series X
- Even with the trade-offs PS4 app on PS5 is the best way to play the game on consoles right now

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
I see you aren't very bright, so let me explain it to you in simple language.

This is a forum, and this means people will offer their opinions, and you won't always agree.

Do you understand?

What you are looking for is an echo chamber, a safe space, where everyone agrees - so perhaps try Reset-Eran as it's full of imbeciles who all think the same, so you'll fit right in.
You can say whatever you want and we can challenge you. Deal with it and stop crying because you got called out.
That said: nobody cares this game doesn't interest you.

Last edited:
Here's the thing - how do you know it's only super hardcore fans reviewing Elden Ring..? Having played the previous games doesn't make you a super hardcore fan. I wouldn't even call myself one and I've beaten everything so far. All I'm looking for are people that are at least a little clued into what From have been doing for the last decade or so, I don't think I've seen any review so far claiming to be written by a superfan who's beaten every game a dozen times over. If they can properly describe how the game has evolved from its predecessors then generally I trust that they know what they're talking about. Alanah Pierce saying that the game "isn't accessible just because you can teleport away from bosses" was a totally bullshit statement and she swiftly deleted the Tweet once she realised because it looked like she had no idea what she's talking about.
Poor choice of words on my part for me hardcore would be someone who has beaten every souls game. I would be perfectly happy to read reviews from 1st timers ( even if they are rare at this point) or people that didn't fit this criteria.

This does not mean there aren't terrible reviews and idiotic critics. E.g. some clown complained about horizon being to easy while playing on easy🤣. But this doesn't mean he can't be on metacritic we can just choose to ignore him (or point and laugh at him!)

To be clear it is awesome that elden ring is reviewing so well but it's disappointing that I can't read even one well written negative review out of the 100 already up
Not really, if people deep in FPS games tell me Titanfall 2 has an amazing campaign, I'm definitely more like to trust them than some guy who played the latest COD campaign and said it was rad.
Sure but it doesn't have to be one or the other. Instead you could listen to someone who's taste align with yours than an expert on a genre.
No real surprise that the highest rating driving games on MC are Gran Turismo, Burnout, Wipeout, Forza. Works across the board for me and games.
Fair enough.Have you never disagreed with a 90 + on metacritic? Its fine if you haven't but I would find that surprising.

Swift_Star

Banned
Fair enough.Have you never disagreed with a 90 + on metacritic? Its fine if you haven't but I would find that surprising.
Not really. I don't have to call a game "overrated" because this notion simply doesn't exist.
What actually exists is the fact that people's taste doesn't necessarily align with mine so stuff can be excellent, I may not like it and that in no way means said stuff is bad and should be graded lower.
I don't like racing games but I don't think Forza is overrated.
Not liking=/=bad.

Last edited:

Klayzer

You can say whatever you want and we can challenge you. Deal with it and stop crying because you got called out.
Does he not realize the same applies to his comments. Don't get pissy when other users call you out for your "look at me im different" takes. I swear, every new high profile release brings out the attention hoes.

Not really. I don't have to call a game "overrated" because this notion simply doesn't exist.
What actually exists is the fact that people's taste doesn't necessarily align with mine so stuff can be excellent, I may not like it and that in no way means said stuff is bad and should be graded lower.
I don't like racing games but I don't think Forza is overrated.
Not liking=/=bad.
Completely disagree all review scores are subjective. You can only ever speak for yourself and should be able to give whatever score you want.

AV

Absolutely, but here's where my problem comes in regarding the language people are using around this conversation - I don't think games "shouldn't" have scored X just because I wasn't one of the vast majority of people who thought so. The Last of Us 1/2 are the best examples, I think they're vastly overrated games, but if 100 critics think they're 8+ games, I have to accept that I'm just in the tiny minority there. People in another thread claiming that Mario Odyssey "shouldn't be" a 97 on Opencritic are crazy, they're simply in a minority and should learn to deal with that.

Not that this really applies to what you and I were talking about, but yeah. Hope you do dip your toes into Elden Ring and have a blast.

Hinedorf

Banned
Wow, it's embarrassing just reading that. I swear the entire journalistic row of gaming is just people who were dragged in from the trash from the nearest container.
You can listen to somebody sing on American Idol for 10 seconds and pretty quickly tell if somebody has legit talent or not. If you really think you need 80+ hours on a completed game to have an opinion you're fucking nuts

Absolutely, but here's where my problem comes in regarding the language people are using around this conversation - I don't think games "shouldn't" have scored X just because I wasn't one of the vast majority of people who thought so. The Last of Us 1/2 are the best examples, I think they're vastly overrated games, but if 100 critics think they're 8+ games, I have to accept that I'm just in the tiny minority there. People in another thread claiming that Mario Odyssey "shouldn't be" a 97 on Opencritic are crazy, they're simply in a minority and should learn to deal with that.

Not that this really applies to what you and I were talking about, but yeah. Hope you do dip your toes into Elden Ring and have a blast.
Deep my toes lol I am gonna jump in head first and swim around in it till I drown 🤪 if I could get a ps5 that is...

I guess to some up what I mean is if a diverse enough group of people review a game it would be almost impossible for game to score a certain score because they will always be people that dislike a game.

Yeah the average score is not really the issue it's the sameness that's the bigger problem. To highlight it would be better if out of 100 critics 90 gave a game 10/10 but the final 10 used the whole scale and gave 6,5 and 3s etc as opposed to 80 giving 10 and the rest 8,9, and 7 etc.

Maybe the sample size is not big enough and that's all there is to it

RexAnglo

Banned
Right but there’s plenty other threads going on in the forum why would you go to one that you’re not interested in and announce that? Do you wanna feel special or something? Do you think we care?
Because, I'll comment where I want.

Does that register?

Get it through your thick skull, you don't decide what is said and by whom.

Now, run along.

RexAnglo

Banned
You are the one who got so monumentally butthurt because I voiced my opinion in an open forum that you've been repeatedly crying over it.

All I said was I must be one of the few people who isn't particularly interested in this game...that's all.

I didn't attack the game, or anyone in here.

For some reason, this upset you so much you had to tell me about it..multiple times.

So, for the third time, and please pay attention this time...this...is...an...open...forum...about...games.

Everyone can, and does, voice their opinion.

If you find this unsettling and need to retreat to a safe space where everyone reinforces your worldview and never questions anything, then you should avoid an open forum.

Is that making any sense to you?

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
You can listen to somebody sing on American Idol for 10 seconds and pretty quickly tell if somebody has legit talent or not. If you really think you need 80+ hours on a completed game to have an opinion you're fucking nuts
You can tell from 10 seconds if they got promise, not if they can sing well technically, or how well their voice can handle more than pre-chosen songs.

Of course you need to complete a game to fully judge it, you need to get the full picture, there are TONS of examples of games that change the nature of the game in the endgame. From Persona 5, to Days Gone, to virtually every Final Fantasy, if you don't play the last 10-15 hours of those games, you miss out on key aspects. If you can't finish games you got nothing to do in-game journalism and you're a lazy son of a bitch.

Swift_Star

Banned
Does he not realize the same applies to his comments. Don't get pissy when other users call you out for your "look at me im different" takes. I swear, every new high profile release brings out the attention hoes.
The lack of self-awareness if really fun, you know?
You are the one who got so monumentally butthurt because I voiced my opinion in an open forum that you've been repeatedly crying over it.

All I said was I must be one of the few people who isn't particularly interested in this game...that's all.

I didn't attack the game, or anyone in here.

For some reason, this upset you so much you had to tell me about it..multiple times.

So, for the third time, and please pay attention this time...this...is...an...open...forum...about...games.

Everyone can, and does, voice their opinion.

If you find this unsettling and need to retreat to a safe space where everyone reinforces your worldview and never questions anything, then you should avoid an open forum.

Is that making any sense to you?
Not gonna read that, sorry.
Imma leave you talking alone now.

S0ULZB0URNE

I won’t assume anything at all 🤣 I’m just pointing out your wishful thinking is sad. That is all. I honestly don’t know why that is so important to you. Sony will make vasts amount of money from both Elden Ring and HFW either way and I’ll gladly play both. The joke is on you, buddy.
Wishful thinking or opinion?
I bought both titles as well and?

Going to continue to derail?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Absolutely but that's my broader point no singular review will work for everyone so its good to have as much variety as possible
Sure but the way I see it if someone who zero experience with JRPG reviewing them can fresh perspective but at the same time they cant be informative about the game because the reviewer himself/herself are inexperienced.

Sure but the way I see it if someone who zero experience with JRPG reviewing them can fresh perspective but at the same time they cant be informative about the game because the reviewer himself/herself are inexperienced.
Yeah agreed as long as the reviewers is transparent about this and articulates there points well I don't see the issue.

- Nothing was changed from Beta
- Performance mode: 45-60fps
- Quality Mode: 30-60fps
- Unlocked framerate for both machines
- 60fps in Quality Mode is rarely hit
- PS5 is typically operating at a higher frame-rate than Series X
- Even with the trade-offs PS4 app on PS5 is the best way to play the game on consoles right now

What do they mean by PS4 APP on PS5? Like, just putting the PS4 disc in PS5? This is all so confusing. I just want smooth 60.

And does anyone have footage of PS4 version being run on PS5?

Last edited:

Arachnid

Agreed.

People with no understanding or appreciation of the style/genre shouldn't be reviewing those games (IGN's Ryan McCaffrey giving legit survival horror GOLD like Alien Isolation a 5.9 for example, just because he couldn't figure out game mechanics) It's fine if a game isn't for a certain player, but someone hating a legit well made game because it's strengths went over their head shouldn't tank review scores or sales. Silent Hill 2 was sh*t on by many at launch despite it having arguably the best story and horror set pieces in video gaming. Souls games were trashed by many despite them having some of the best pure gameplay experiences and exploration of the gen (and Dark Souls 1 is now one of the most influential games of all time). Certain games and genres have strengths that should be reviewed by people understand those strengths on at least some level (someone earlier in the thread pointed out that a Resident Evil fan shouldn't be reviewing a JRPG; not mutually exclusive), but Persona 5 was my first game the series and it's now one of my games of the gen because I can appreciate JRPGs and good combat systems due to at lease some history with games like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Agreed.

People with no understanding or appreciation of the style/genre shouldn't be reviewing those games (IGN's Ryan McCaffrey giving legit survival horror GOLD like Alien Isolation a 5.9 for example, just because he couldn't figure out game mechanics) It's fine if a game isn't for a certain player, but someone hating a legit well made game because it's strengths went over their head shouldn't tank review scores or sales. Silent Hill 2 was sh*t on by many at launch despite it having arguably the best story and horror set pieces in video gaming. Souls games were trashed by many despite them having some of the best pure gameplay experiences and exploration of the gen (and Dark Souls 1 is now one of the most influential games of all time). Certain games and genres have strengths that should be reviewed by people understand those strengths on at least some level. Reviewers should have range. They don't even have to be fans, but they should have an understanding of what they're reviewing. I'm a survival horror fan/junkie to the core, but Persona 5 was my first game the series and it's now one of my games of the gen because I can appreciate JRPGs and good combat systems due to at lease some history with games like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger.
Exactly! For example lets say I want get in to MMOs, I would want to go to reviewer who has experienced with those type of games and tell me what so special about them and how inexperienced player can get in to it, but if you got to reviewer who has also zero experienced then it wouldn't be informative review, it would be just waste of my time.

Klayzer

Exactly! For example lets say I want get in to MMOs, I would want to go to reviewer who has experienced with those type of games and tell me what so special about them and how inexperienced player can get in to it, but if you got to reviewer who has also zero experienced then it wouldn't be informative review, it would be just waste of my time.
Ever notice people that are not Souls fans, or have even played these types of games, are very vocal about it being overated/overhyped from just videos.

Top Bottom