• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING releasing 21.01.2022 - Summer Game Fest TRAILER 2021

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
rij0hWi.gif

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The graphics look a bit rough. That's probably because the last Souls game I played is Demon Souls on the PS5 and this one is cross gen. The gameplay looks great and I like the art style/atmosphere. I also like the January date since it's not too far away. 2022 will be off to a good start.

Trailer looks fantastic art style aswell but lighting, technical quality still last gen as a while production it falls short, I wish blue point was involved in a way.

Stuart360

Man its going to be a long gen for some of you if graphics like this trigger you. We will be getting games at this level through the whole of the gen.
Outside of some Sony and Microsoft first party games, most curent gen games will be like this, with higher framerates and resolutions.
We are not going to suddenly get AVATAR level graphics once cros gen ends.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I don't really get the negativity surrounding the visuals, these are games where the design has always transcended the technical limitations and have left a very lasting and influential impression on the industry and fandom.

I'm so excited by the designs and environments!
Me too. But it looks worse than Bloodborne. Graphically.

Last edited:

plushyp

Feels like an amalgamation of past FromSoftware games. Sekiro backgrounds and lighting + Dark Souls characters and armour styles + Bloodborne enemies and tone.

martino

It does, but not in the example you quoted, because people were really hating on Halo reveal for the graphics, before anything else, so gameplay is not really relevent in this exemple, this person was just comparing two situations regarding visuals alone.

i don't i'm just using it as an example. i could use other game if you are so sensitive. i'm trying to make a point here. the point is that if a western developer comes out with a game looking like this people here would be destroying them. i think it was obvious but i guess i need to explain that for some people.

so gameplay in halo sucks?
not from my point of view
it's different licence with different history and one has not to fill the role of being a flaship for one brand and its hardware (this come with graphical expectations)

Last edited:

Fbh

Man its going to be a long gen for some of you if graphics like this trigger you. We will be getting games at this level through the whole of the gen.
Outside of some Sony and Microsoft first party games, most curent gen games will be like this, with higher framerates and resolutions.
We are not going to suddenly get AVATAR level graphics once cros gen ends.

It's funny because every thread about performance vs graphics like 90% of votes go to performance.
But then as soon as a game doesn't look graphically incredible everyone is salty.

FROM games have historically run like crap on consoles. From 15fps blightown on ps3/360 to 30fps with bad framepacing and ocassional drops on Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3.

This looks like it could be the first FROM game to actually run at high res and 60fps on console (at least Ps5/Series X) ....and some people are mad lol

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Even Dark Souls Remastered still looks fine to me. FROM's art direction and design is off the charts and holds up.

Besides copying Miura they have top tier character and creature artists. Would love to see what goes into them making these monsters and bosses. How much G. Martin is playing a role in the world.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yeah no shit it doesn’t look like Demon’s Souls remastered. Put Elden Ring remastered by Bluepoint on the PS7 in 12 years time and it’ll blow minds.

Stuart360

It's funny because every thread about performance vs graphics like 90% of votes go to performance.
But then as soon as a game doesn't look graphically incredible everyone is salty.

FROM games have historically run like crap on consoles. From 15fps blightown on ps3/360 to 30fps with bad framepacing and ocassional drops on Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3.

This looks like it could be the first FROM game to actually run at high res and 60fps on console (at least Ps5/Series X) ....and some people are mad lol
That PS5 UE5 demo was one of the worst things to happen for next gen imo, as so many people think thats the level of graphics we are going to be getiing once cross gen ends.
Well they are in for a rude awakening.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It does, but not in the example you quoted, because people were really hating on Halo reveal for the graphics, before anything else, so gameplay is not really relevent in this exemple, this person was just comparing two situations regarding visuals alone.

1st party developer with insane resources that took over a beloved flagship franchise and has put out nothing but stinkers vs. a much smaller studio that has an excellent track record across 6 (!!) games going back to 2009 at least. I don't understand the desire to compare these two things or portray it like an "west vs. Japan" thing. Furthermore, it's a comparison that is ignoring the reality of all of the people who are disappointed by the visuals of Elden Ring. It's just wounded fanboy bullshit.

Top Bottom