• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Not Funny Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

This was my least favorite section. The mage in the area was so annoying. Now that I understand how it works, I doubt it is so annoying but my first playthrough was pure hell in the section.

Did you run past them? They were tough but not undoable. I wound up kiting them backward and was able to split them up to take 'em out one by one. I think I died 2 or maybe 3 times.
The Archives remind me of that small dungeon in Liurnia (a library as well?) where that mage NPC hits you from a distance then teleports and you have to chase it. The Crystal Sage wasn’t that tough for me because I was able to hide from or dodge most of his projectiles. And yeah I ran past the trio of NPCs. Part of why I enjoyed this area is because I didn’t die once, I chose my fights carefully and avoided some enemies like the Lothric Knights.

Back to the princes, I decided to give the Zweihander a try and it’s quite powerful when imbued with lightning. I just need to find a Titanite Slab to upgrade it to +10. I got so close to beating them! All I needed was one hit but I had ran out of flasks and already used an ember to heal. Will try again tonight.

Last edited:
After some time watching stuff on Youtube and learning a bit more about the world and the motivations of each characters, is any of these connected to Dark Souls?

I only learned it's somewhat of a sequel in an interview with GRRM as he said this is a sequel to Dark Souls.

I have never played any of the Souls games aside from Demon's and that was back on the PS3 and I never did dive into the lore and such.

Just want to have a hook so I can have the motivatation to play the earlier Souls games. Three of them seems like a huge undertaking with DS2 even having somewhat of a negative perception among those that discuss them.
Dark Souls and Elden Ring are not connected in any concrete way. Some fans like to come up with a timeline that connects Souls games, though.

You could play Dark Souls 3 like I’m doing and then decide if you want to go back to previous episodes. Personally I’m good with DS3, I need to play something more light-hearted afterwards lol. Maybe I’ll play either Bloodborne or Sekiro in the future. Elden Ring DLC is a higher priority whenever it comes out.

Finally beat the twin princes! I was so shaken as I landed the final blows lol

This is my favorite boss at this point in the game. I thoroughly enjoyed their moveset, the unique take on a dual boss, and the music. The idea of two brothers caring for each other is something that really gets to me.

I reached the Nameless King and his bird dragon and holy shit how the hell am I supposed to beat him. Lorian and Lothric now seem totally manageable in comparison. I never got bothered by the camera until now. Can’t see the fire breath coming and it one-two shots me. Whew.

Forth

Neophyte
I'm currently using a bloodfang +8 and I'm on Caelid but I'd like a sword that does more damage, any recommendations?
Also the Valiant Gargoyle is so hard.

If you aggroed the one at the Bestial Sanctum, your best bet is repeated drive-by magic/arrows to its back with a retreat to the back of the sanctum until it is back to its default position.

DelireMan7

Finally beat the twin princes! I was so shaken as I landed the final blows lol

This is my favorite boss at this point in the game. I thoroughly enjoyed their moveset, the unique take on a dual boss, and the music. The idea of two brothers caring for each other is something that really gets to me.

I reached the Nameless King and his bird dragon and holy shit how the hell am I supposed to beat him. Lorian and Lothric now seem totally manageable in comparison. I never got bothered by the camera until now. Can’t see the fire breath coming and it one-two shots me. Whew.

Well done ! This boss is so fucking cool. As you said, unique dual boss and great music.

Haha Nameless King is quite a challenge. Don't remember exactly but I think you have to play with and without the lock-on : on some attack it follows well the bird and one some it does shit.

I'm currently using a bloodfang +8 and I'm on Caelid but I'd like a sword that does more damage, any recommendations?

Bloodfang is quite a powerful weapon already.
My recommendation would be to come back later, this part of Caelid is kind of a late game area.

First stage of nameless king with no lock on, yeah, the the king himself is just a case of making slightly delayed rolls. He’s all about the roll catch. If you can do Elden Ring bosses with their absurd delays then he shouldn’t present too much of a challenge.

Forth

Neophyte
Just defeated the Valient Gargoyles after help with a summons.
Currently in Volcano Manor but this game is starting to exhaust me, the stronger enemies and environment, I think I need a break and then come back.
Definitely best game of the gen for me, it's absolute genius.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Inquiry:

Are there significant differences visual and performance wise going from Series S fo PS5 beside using ERPS4 through BC resulting in a (most?) stable 60fps?

I've read about the RT update which I don't care about.

Does it look and performe any better on PS5 instead of Series S?

First stage of nameless king with no lock on, yeah, the the king himself is just a case of making slightly delayed rolls. He’s all about the roll catch. If you can do Elden Ring bosses with their absurd delays then he shouldn’t present too much of a challenge.
I got the hang of the first phase, thanks to a YouTube guide I learned that the key is to not get between the dragon's legs, because it immediately flies and unleashes that fire breath that easily kills me. Also for once shields are actually useful here, I can block some attacks and not lose health. But man the second phase is so brutal. It doesn't help that the Zweihander doesn't deal much damage.
Just defeated the Valient Gargoyles after help with a summons.
Currently in Volcano Manor but this game is starting to exhaust me, the stronger enemies and environment, I think I need a break and then come back.
Definitely best game of the gen for me, it's absolute genius.
Volcano Manor was one of the hardest dungeons for me, the omenkiller and the lizards were a huge pain. The boss battle at the end is a nice reward for the trouble though.

Caio

Help : I started Ranni's quest, very late, as I have already beaten Radahn, reached The Land of Giants, and finished the quest of Nepheli and Kennet, as you can find them at Godrick's altar. The question is, I would also like to start the quest of Blaidd, but after my first encounter and speech with him, where he referred to the witch Ranni (I freed him, as he had been imprisoned in an eternal jail), I can't find him anymore, I have no idea where I can find him.

Ranni departs after acquiring the treasure of Nokron, leaving behind a doll at her rise and opening a waygate at the nearby rise. If you take the waygate and talk to the doll three times at the first site of grace she will task you with an assassination. Complete it and descend into the Lake of Rot. Take the coffin elevator at the end of the Lake of Rot and beat the boss there. Take the elevator past the barrier to a land mass above Liurnia and proceed into the crevice inside the cathedral to complete Ranni's quest. Return to Ranni's Rise to confront Blaidd.

Last edited:

Caio

Ranni departs after acquiring the treasure of Nokron, leaving behind a doll at her rise and opening a waygate at the nearby rise. If you take the waygate and talk to the doll three times at the first site of grace she will task you with an assassination. Complete it and descend into the Lake of Rot. Take the coffin elevator at the end of the Lake of Rot and beat the boss there. Take the elevator past the barrier to a land mass above Liurnia and proceed into the crevice inside the cathedral to complete Ranni's quest. Return to Ranni's Rise to confront Blaidd.
I took the Nokron treasure, so I should go back to the "3 syster lands" at Ranni's Tower right ?
Edited : I did it, back to Ranni's tower, I gave her the treasure, and she gave me a special object. Then I reached the other Tower, which was previously inaccessible, and found a teleport gate...and so on.

Last edited:

Forth

Neophyte
Completed ER last night and absolutely loved it, it has it's weak moments but as a packet was sublime.
I'll admit that I cheated with using co-op summons for Godskin Duo and last battle but I loved it.
I'm currently going through Demons Souls PS5 and I'm loving it too, the more focused levels with different art styles and gameplay makes me undecided on whether I prefer it more.

Completed ER last night and absolutely loved it, it has it's weak moments but as a packet was sublime.
I'll admit that I cheated with using co-op summons for Godskin Duo and last battle but I loved it.
I'm currently going through Demons Souls PS5 and I'm loving it too, the more focused levels with different art styles and gameplay makes me undecided on whether I prefer it more.
If there’s two bosses where it’s fair to summon players or spirits, it’s the Duo and the final boss. Each has their own brand of bullshit, so anything you throw at them is fair game.

Last edited:

Forth

Neophyte
Currently going through Demons Souls PS5 for a second time after completing ER and Bluepoint did such a magnificent job here.
It looks absolutely beautiful and the little touches are astounding, I love how the voice of NPC's change if they're talking through armour and playing as a knight it feels and looks so weighted with how the player runs.
Also the sounds of sword and shield with no overbearing orchestral soundtrack is fantastic.

I completed the Ashes of Ariandel and, of course, hit a wall against Sister Friede.
Overall I enjoyed Ariandel very much, loved the amount of small areas comprising the DLC. It’s kinda the precursor to the Consecrated Snowfields. My favorite type of enemy is the big Corvian with claws and the one with a rapier, they’re really cool. The place with the flies is the stuff of nightmares, it reminds me of how every few months or so I have a dream about insects.

Sister Friede is an amazing boss, I like that for once a boss uses ice powers instead of fire, well she uses fire too but it’s black. First phase is tough but manageable, second phase gets very chaotic but thankfully the Gael summon helps me out, and third phase holy molly how am I supposed to beat that?

Also I started the Ringed City, and yeah… it’s brutal. Oof.

Last edited:
Surprisingly enough I beat Friede! After doing some research I decided to get the Dragonslayer Greataxe and upgrade it to the max. Man that thing hits HARD. I quickly beat Friede and then Ariandel while Gael kept her busy. He even survived her third phase! Being allowed an NPC for this fight made a big difference, cause I certainly didn’t play skillfully. But a win is a win. That was an incredible fight, easily in the top 5 bosses of this game.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

What will everyone do when the DLC drops? Make a new character or continue from NG+
I have 3 characters that are waiting (didnt jump to NG), I plan to beat the DLC with each them start a new playthrough and beat the full game plus dlc from scratch with a different build.

Last edited:

Fake

What will everyone do when the DLC drops? Make a new character or continue from NG+

Continue. Will be probably a mid/late game DLC, so scales with your level.

I like replaying Elden Ring, but the process of farming for forge I don't particually want to make again.

Caio

What do you mean by Ranni's Rise ? I finished the Ranni's Quest, I gave her the ring, once arrived at the cave below the cathedral, then she talked to me and left. Where shall I go now to confront Blaidd ?
Edited : last time I met Blaidd, It was when I freed him from an eternal jail, hearing him calling me from underneath.
Ok, you meant Ranni's Tower, which has a different Name in italian, I'll go back there and check.

Last edited:
Can’t you create those weird 3D vids from 2D images now?

Lol if that’s true. I’ve not stopped playing the game for over a year. Imagine that doubled. I’d never play anything else again.

Last edited:
Greatsword, my dude. Once you get used to its speed and timing, you will come to love staggering enemies in 1-2 hits. It is one of the best collossal swords in the game, even though it isnt a boss/named weapon. I used it exclusively until I got the gargoyle twinblade, and then I just bounced back and forth betwixt the two.

Also, yes, I hated valiant gargoyle. Gargoyle 2's super long range poison breath killed me so many times from seemingly across the map. I had luck waiting till gargoyle 2 entered to summon my ashes.

Last edited:
Dark Souls 3 log: I progressed quite a lot in the Ringed City. First the Dreg Heap was fun to advance through, the unexpected free fall with the body holding an item was damn cool. Not being able to attack an enemy that keeps shooting you (the angel thing) is a stressful but well thought idea. The ring that boost the amount of souls gained is a welcome addition, I can farm souls in a reasonable amount of time. Oh and Lapp is a good fella, but what’s the catch?

The Demon Prince is a great boss. I love that his moveset is different depending on which demon you kill first. The one with the long beam is much more manageable than the other. And again, I like that NPCs are made available, it makes the fight more balanced (though the boss gets more health) and epic.

The Ringed City is super hard. I died so many times to the ghost army summoned by the giant. Couldn’t figure out on my own that I simply had to go to the platform below, I had to check a guide, it goes to show that my thinking is too straightforward. But man the idea of being greeted at the start of this area by an army of archers is great. I advanced a lot and had to run away from most enemies. I felt SO relieved when I found a bonfire after running out of flasks!! Classic Dark Souls moment haha.

Meanwhile I keep dying against the Nameless King! First phase is now easy for me, but phase two is a nightmare. I still managed to get him down to 20-25% hp twice thanks to the Dragonslayer Greataxe. I won’t give up!

Last edited:
Dark Souls 3 log: I progressed quite a lot in the Ringed City. First the Dreg Heap was fun to advance through, the unexpected free fall with the body holding an item was damn cool. Not being able to attack an enemy that keeps shooting you (the angel thing) is a stressful but well thought idea. The ring that boost the amount of souls gained is a welcome addition, I can farm souls in a reasonable amount of time. Oh and Lapp is a good fella, but what’s the catch?

The Demon Prince is a great boss. I love that his moveset is different depending on which demon you kill first. The one with the long beam is much more manageable than the other. And again, I like that NPCs are made available, it makes the fight more balanced (though the boss gets more health) and epic.

The Ringed City is super hard. I died so many times to the ghost army summoned by the giant. Couldn’t figure out on my own that I simply had to go to the platform below, I had to check a guide, it goes to show that my thinking is too straightforward. But man the idea of being greeted at the start of this area by an army of archers is great. I advanced a lot and had to run away from most enemies. I felt SO relieved when I found a bonfire after running out of flasks!! Classic Dark Souls moment haha.

Meanwhile I keep dying against the Nameless King! First phase is now easy for me, but phase two is a nightmare. I still managed to get him down to 20-25% hp twice thanks to the Dragonslayer Greataxe. I won’t give up!
Awesome! I just finished twin princes on a pyro build, about to do ashes and ringed city for the first time.

After that, it's on to sekiro

Nice! I hope I’m not spoiling you with my posts, I write under the assumption that everyone here already played DS3, DLC included.
Not at all, Ringed city and it's lore stuff have long since been voluntarily spoilered to me, I just haven't actually played it yet.

On an elden ring note, I kind of feel like there are strong ties between elden rings lore and dark souls 2s lore, to the point where in my soulsborne headcannon elden ring is a chronological sequel to ds2

Jealous of your first time with Lapp. Of course there’s a catch lol. I found it to be quite tender.

I completed Elden Ring with a pure STR character again… I really don’t know what my problem is.

I have no idea where I’m supposed to find Lapp after defeating the Demon Prince. Lol

Also made my way to Midir and wow, what a ludicrous amount of health he has. Summoned Shira but she didn’t last very long and I don’t want to burn through my embers especially since I haven’t even reached Gael yet.

Now I have fully realized how Elden Ring is actually newbie-friendly despite having some of the hardest bosses in Fromsoftware games. You can always summon the mimic tear or some op spirit ash to aggro a boss, and you can also respec to some op build and weapon like Rivers of Blood or Blasphemous Blade. In Dark Souls 3 those endgame bosses have very high defense and health, even the “op” weapons don’t do that much damage.

I have no idea where I’m supposed to find Lapp after defeating the Demon Prince. Lol

Also made my way to Midir and wow, what a ludicrous amount of health he has. Summoned Shira but she didn’t last very long and I don’t want to burn through my embers especially since I haven’t even reached Gael yet.

Now I have fully realized how Elden Ring is actually newbie-friendly despite having some of the hardest bosses in Fromsoftware games. You can always summon the mimic tear or some op spirit ash to aggro a boss, and you can also respec to some op build and weapon like Rivers of Blood or Blasphemous Blade. In Dark Souls 3 those endgame bosses have very high defense and health, even the “op” weapons don’t do that much damage.
Yup. Elden Ring is so flexible and open. It gives it a lot more lifespan. DS3 is very rigid.

Holy crap I actually beat the Nameless King! I’m surprised cause I played terribly against the King of Storms. It turns out the key to victory was simply to block some of his attacks instead of trying to dodge everything which is too hard for me. Look at this ridiculous but effective set:

O0UxWwl.jpg

I looked up a guide to find Lapp and got spoiled about him. Too bad! Still glad I finished his quest. I also beat Halflight and reached Fillianore only to realize later that I can no longer summon Shira for the Midir fight. That sucks.

Holy crap I actually beat the Nameless King! I’m surprised cause I played terribly against the King of Storms. It turns out the key to victory was simply to block some of his attacks instead of trying to dodge everything which is too hard for me. Look at this ridiculous but effective set:

O0UxWwl.jpg

I looked up a guide to find Lapp and got spoiled about him. Too bad! Still glad I finished his quest. I also beat Halflight and reached Fillianore only to realize later that I can no longer summon Shira for the Midir fight. That sucks.
Awesome! I just beat nameless and friede the other day. Making my way through ringed city now. Did the first step of lapp, trying to avoid spoilers but I'm not about to screw his questline up and have to do a ng run to get it, so I'm just being careful about guides and staying as far the fuck away from the wiki as I can

Last edited:

Caio

I finished Elden Ring, what an amazing experience, 10/10 from me, I loved everything of this Game, the art design, level design, the exploration, gameplay, weapons, "builds", and the great satisfaction in defeating some bosses, from primary, to secondaries and secrets, and how many WOW moments. I'm going for a second run, after a week or two of "rest". Any tips and suggestion ?

Caio

What build did you play before? If melee, I recommend playing some magic centric build. If mage, I recommend melee build.
I was All based on close combat and brute force, colossal weapons. Actually I could try a build based on spells and sorcery.
One question, what about all the weapons and items I have on my inventory from the 1st run ? What will happen to them on my second run ? And stats ?

I was All based on close combat and brute force, colossal weapons. Actually I could try a build based on spells and sorcery.
One question, what about all the weapons and items I have on my inventory from the 1st run ? What will happen to them on my second run ? And stats ?
You can keep it all and do ng+ or start fresh

Caio

You can keep it all and do ng+ or start fresh
I will do NG+, and collect as much as possible before going 2nd Run+.
One thing, I have seen players with Level 700 on youtube, how they can do that ? Ok, you can do rune farming, but 700 in a single run ? After level 200, you need something like 320k runes to make 1 level up, and required runes go up level after level.

Top Bottom