• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Many play without a guide. I love exploring these games without any exterior guidance the first time.

As for the key, there is a NPC at the beginning of Liurnia (in the church behind Stormveil castle) that explain the whole "key for the academy" stuff.
Then once you arrived in front of the seal, you can find a clothed map on the ground that indicate the location of the key (but you have to find to where it correspond on the actual game map, love this idea personally)

FromSoftware's games are all about paying attention to your environment, NPC's dialog, item description... and bring everything together to solve it. It's like a jigsaw puzzle, except you have to find the pieces (NPC's dialog, item's description...) and then find how it fit together.
I don’t look info up on my first play through BUT I do read forum posts and YouTube comments etc. so its not entirely clean.

When OoT came out everybody at school was talking about it and sharing info. I didn’t consider that cheating so I’m cool with my method for big games like ER.

Also, ER is such a lonely and desolate game that it’s nice to see/read other people playing it.

Last edited:

kiiltz

This is the first From game that I got into and I'm pretty hooked. Got to ask though, does anyone actually play this without using any guides? I typically like to figure things out on my own but this game seems impossible to do so.
For example, the entrance to the Academy is blocked by a gate needing a key. Nothing tells me where said key might be and the map is enormous. I look up a YT vid to find key. Once I have it, nothing in game tells me what the key is actually for. Meaning I could happen to find the key by luck many hours after finding the door and not remembering what or if I needed that specific key.
A lot of the joy post-game completion is sharing your differenct/similar experiences and comparing what you found and missed with others. Generally good to do a blind play through first time, then a guide and advice on subsequent tries. Elden Ring is kind of massive and overwhelming though, and I do think it would have benefited from a log system that at least tracks what you’ve done. I basically missed all of the sidequests my first time lol.

Also, read item descriptions more. They tell you a lot.

DelireMan7

I don’t look info up on my first play through BUT I do read forum posts and YouTube comments etc. so its not entirely clean.

When OoT came out everybody at school was talking about it and sharing info. I didn’t consider that cheating so I’m cool with my method for big games like ER.

Also, ER is such a lonely and desolate game that it’s nice to see/read other people playing it.
Fair point and I am fully behind that approach since it's kind of the intent of Miyazaki's game design : keep a lot of things obscure/vague to make players communicate with each others and create an active community.

I really like going blind of my first run. We discuss a bit with friend but we are all in the same philosophy so we are extremely careful about what we're saying and do not share important information the others didn't find.

I'm progressing slowly but surely in Dark Souls 3. Completed the Undead Settlement and defeated the Curse-rotted Greatwood after a few tries. Really creepy thing with the viscuous balls and the hand (like that of Miquella?) coming out of the belly. I really like how this boss is different from the previous one: slow but powerful, and has a horde of worshippers coming your way. I gave it my all and managed to land the killing blow with a tiny bit of HP left and no remaining flasks. That was really satisfying.

But man, the atmosphere in DS3 is really depressing :messenger_tears_of_joy: Elden Ring is a lot more colorful overall.

DelireMan7

I'm progressing slowly but surely in Dark Souls 3. Completed the Undead Settlement and defeated the Curse-rotted Greatwood after a few tries. Really creepy thing with the viscuous balls and the hand (like that of Miquella?) coming out of the belly. I really like how this boss is different from the previous one: slow but powerful, and has a horde of worshippers coming your way. I gave it my all and managed to land the killing blow with a tiny bit of HP left and no remaining flasks. That was really satisfying.

But man, the atmosphere in DS3 is really depressing :messenger_tears_of_joy: Elden Ring is a lot more colorful overall.
That's so true for the atmosphere.

I find the design of the Curse rotted Greatwood really cool. Especially the last phase. Nice catch the parallel with Miquella. Didn't think about it playing Elden ring.

Happy to hear your progress in DS3.

Rex_DX

Gold Member

Such a great game, man. I'm so happy you're getting on with it.

Depressing atmosphere? Just wait until you reach the fetid Miyazaki swamp. 😂

There are some more colorful areas ahead for you though but nothing like the watercolors of Liurnia.

Congratulations, now you can ask throne-bound Lord Ludleth at the Firelink Shrine to turn boss souls into Weapons/Rings/Spells. Word of advice, when you reach the swamps make sure to have a dagger type weapon as you will need its Quickstep skill to not get stuck in the mud.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
If I understand correctly, I can still cancel that ending and go for another. I will probably back up my save and get all endings on the one playthrough.
I encourage it. It wasn't really worth the playthroughs I did for each of the basic endings. 2 of them are worth the effort you put in, though. (In relative From terms, that is.)

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The weirdest thing happened while playing on my Deck. I'm fighting the Fire Giant and suddenly my controls stop working. They work on the SteamOS level but not in game. I wasn't likely to win the battle anyway, but kind of annoying to have happen in the midst of a boss fight. I had to force close. I'll try reopening the game later and hopefully the issue is corrected.

Artoris

Gold Member
Fighting the dragon soldier in the lake of rot, it's annoying fight and when I summon a Knight he keeps on getting stuck and runs on the spot

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Fighting the dragon soldier in the lake of rot, it's annoying fight and when I summon a Knight he keeps on getting stuck and runs on the spot
How are you wading through the lake. I’ve avoided that area hoping to find something that nerfs rot. No luck so far and Crumbling Farum Azula / Godskin Duo is kicking my ass.

Last edited:

Artoris

Gold Member
How are you wading through the lake. I’ve avoided that area hoping to find something that nerfs rot. No luck so far and Crumbling Farum Azula is kicking my ass.
There are some buttons on the ground which you can press and some extra land rises also having plenty of antidotes for the rot helps

"Crumbling Farum Azula" I don't know that one

Nankatsu

Sees Coffin
Approaches coffin
Rest in coffin?
Yes
Proceeds to see a coffin working as an elevator

Me:
No Way Wow GIF

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Haligtree in progress. I've cleared every other boss & dungeon found so far. I also need to go back to the Capital. I beat Gideon there already. It feels like the game is nearing the end...

Not only I suck at it but everyone that I summon also sucks at it. It's a miracle if all of us manage to get into the boss fight.

And when we do, it's insta rampage and we die.

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF
You need to just run away until the one with the shield does the charge up holy attack, providing you an opening. If you can hit him with a ranged skill or spell while keeping the one with the spear behind him you can just loop that. Otherwise you might get hit by the high damage grab of the spear one past half health.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

You need to just run away until the one with the shield does the charge up holy attack, providing you an opening. If you can hit him with a ranged skill or spell while keeping the one with the spear behind him you can just loop that. Otherwise you might get hit by the high damage grab of the spear one past half health.

Yeah, I'm gonna rebuild my character a bit, because as of now I lack range options.

Probably gonna switch to elanoras blade with dragon incantations. Saw a build around that on YouTube and really liked it.

Btw, I activated Morgott's great rune on the tower just before you enter Forbidden Lands, and supposedly it gives a 25%. Is the buff automatic or do I need to to something else? Because I think my HP didn't got buffed at all.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

The difficult spike in mountaintops of giants is insane. I'm at castle sol and this shit is ridiculous. Those banished teleporting 8 flurry combo knights are disgusting. To however created those: here goes my second fuck off of the day.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Haligtree in progress. I've cleared every other boss & dungeon found so far. I also need to go back to the Capital. I beat Gideon there already. It feels like the game is nearing the end...
Really glad you decided to do Haligtree. It's sad how many people never even see it. It starts of kind of unimpressive and tedious with the branches but just wait.

The sub-area know as Elphael is possibly my favorite area in the game and incredibly beautiful.

Edit - aannnd just saw you rolled credits. Congrats man.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Really glad you decided to do Haligtree. It's sad how many people never even see it. It starts of kind of unimpressive and tedious with the branches but just wait.

The sub-area know as Elphael is possibly my favorite area in the game and incredibly beautiful.

Edit - aannnd just saw you rolled credits. Congrats man.
IDK if I was just over leveled from doing every dungeon and side quest I could find, but I felt the game was pretty easy overall. I was able to beat a lot of the bosses on the first try. I died more often at the very beginning and very end. There were a few character quests I messed up or was unable to finish but everything major should be done.

The only achievement boss I missed on my playthrough was Placidusax so I went back and beat him. Malenia was less difficult than I expected from what I had heard. My mimic and I were able to stun her fairly often so the first phase was easy. I think the people who struggle more don't have a quick way to stagger.

I've got 7 achievements left and I am really tempted to 100% the game. I did not find a way to reverse the flame ending so I will probably do that for sure. If I do go for achievements, I will use a guide.
OTCgxTq.png

My wife is currently playing the game (her first FS game) as a mage and I am tempted to give that class a go. I'm also tempted to go back and finally play DS2 or DS3, as I've not beaten either of those.

Seriously though, 120 hours is more than I normally like for a game but Elden Ring is my favorite game of all time right now.

Nankatsu

Man the elanora polearm blade bleed is fire. I was struggling a lot at some sections of Mohgwyn palace, adapted my built to it and it's a breeze. The speed at which you can trigger bleed with this weapon is insane.

Soodanim

Gold Member
IDK if I was just over leveled from doing every dungeon and side quest I could find, but I felt the game was pretty easy overall. I was able to beat a lot of the bosses on the first try. I died more often at the very beginning and very end. There were a few character quests I messed up or was unable to finish but everything major should be done.

The only achievement boss I missed on my playthrough was Placidusax so I went back and beat him. Malenia was less difficult than I expected from what I had heard. My mimic and I were able to stun her fairly often so the first phase was easy. I think the people who struggle more don't have a quick way to stagger.

I've got 7 achievements left and I am really tempted to 100% the game. I did not find a way to reverse the flame ending so I will probably do that for sure. If I do go for achievements, I will use a guide.
OTCgxTq.png

My wife is currently playing the game (her first FS game) as a mage and I am tempted to give that class a go. I'm also tempted to go back and finally play DS2 or DS3, as I've not beaten either of those.

Seriously though, 120 hours is more than I normally like for a game but Elden Ring is my favorite game of all time right now.
I fully agree about stagger. Stagger is so important in ER, more so than previous games. And it's much more consistent than repeated status effects, as you just need to make sure the timer doesn't reset by getting in hits. Status effects increase the resistance after each proc and the timer constantly drops (I think).

I do recommend a spell casting character just to try things out if nothing else, there's a lot of variety in there and the basic spells are so good that they can carry you for most of the game. You can go melee with it too, and the fun spells are good to mess with. If you really wanted to cut down on prep time and just experiment, you could always respec before you hit NG+ and start the run already tooled up with spells.

In typical me fashion, I saw a bit of info on a weapon and decided to make a character devoted to it. This time it's the Mantis Blade. Shorted curved sword, but folds out for the R2 to become spear length. I love a gimmick, so I was instantly sold on it.

On my way to get it I picked up a bleed curved sword that's a minute away from the dungeon, so now I'm messing with a dual CS build. The Mantis charged R2 hits pretty hard and fast, and staggers quite quickly. Bonus points for being an easy get if you know what you're doing, as it's a guaranteed drop in a Hero Grave and you can aggro from a safe spot to draw the enemy out - instant kill, guaranteed drop. It's also low requirements at 10/12.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I figured I didn't have much for those remaining achievements so I looked up the items. I was only missing 1 each, except the talismans I needed 2. Only achievements left are the 2 other ending ones and the final one. I'll get those endings and then contemplate a second run through. Either that or DS3 in my future. This will be my first 100% achievement on any FromSoft game. I kind of want to go clean up DS1 now.

Ahh fuck, I can't just go beat the last boss again? I should have backed up a save. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Man the elanora polearm blade bleed is fire. I was struggling a lot at some sections of Mohgwyn palace, adapted my built to it and it's a breeze. The speed at which you can trigger bleed with this weapon is insane.
That's the one I used. I mostly followed Fextralife's blood dancer build. I was getting tired of it toward the end. I also found my R1 attacks working out better in the late game than the L2 skill.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Ehh, fuck it. I am down for NG+. I farmed some runes, bought out the merchants and am cleaning up a few misc items. Not sure yet what build I'll go with for NG+ but I will probably go with magic/int based. Moonlight great sword is appealing to me.

Artoris

Gold Member

OTCgxTq.png

"DS2 or DS3"

two is brilliant 3 I never liked

Nankatsu

So Auriza' Heros is actually nice... Because I just step foot on the Hero's grave on Montaintops of Giants and holy shit.

How do you face the shadow enemies when there's no light spot around to make them vunarable?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
"DS2 or DS3"

two is brilliant 3 I never liked
I got farther into 2 than I did in 3. I kind of want to keep one on deck at all times so I always have something to go back and play. I also need to play through Demon's Souls and Bloodborne so maybe I will just go through 2 & 3 and leave one of those as a back-up.

So Auriza' Heros is actually nice... Because I just step foot on the Hero's grave on Montaintops of Giants and holy shit.

How do you face the shadow enemies when there's no light spot around to make them vunarable?
You lure them into the light even if they are far away. Some elevators and pillars in the dungeon have a light associated with them too.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Damn. I got to Godfrey in NG+ in a matter of a few hours. Maybe these two extra endings won’t be so bad to get.
This is actually the problem for me, and one of the drawbacks of open world. Unless you choose to do more content for either an ending or missed items, NG+ is reduced to the basics:

1. 2 Shard Bearers
    1. Godrick (easy to run through)
    2. Rennala (also easy to run through)
  2. Leyndell
  3. Mountaintop > Forge
  4. Farum
  5. Radagon/Beast

It's not a long game when you do that. Take out horse riding and it's even shorter. For better or worse, so much of the game is entirely optional. At least with a new character there's something to build towards.

I've only gone into NG+ with one character, because there's so little point to any of it thanks to copy pasted bosses. I save that character for when I fancy doing all bosses with a different sort of build and it will be my DLC character.

However, the game being so open makes experimenting a breeze. Once you realise you can streamline, you can access half of the game's lands within 20 minutes. You can be buying +4 Smithing Stones and upgrading Great Stars before you've even fought a single enemy, then take the early trap chest to pick up some +5s and be absurdly OP. The game's a playground if you want it to be, which is why I keep picking it up to do something new.

This is actually the problem for me, and one of the drawbacks of open world. Unless you choose to do more content for either an ending or missed items, NG+ is reduced to the basics:

1. 2 Shard Bearers
    1. Godrick (easy to run through)
    2. Rennala (also easy to run through)
  2. Leyndell
  3. Mountaintop > Forge
  4. Farum
  5. Radagon/Beast

It's not a long game when you do that. Take out horse riding and it's even shorter. For better or worse, so much of the game is entirely optional. At least with a new character there's something to build towards.

I've only gone into NG+ with one character, because there's so little point to any of it thanks to copy pasted bosses. I save that character for when I fancy doing all bosses with a different sort of build and it will be my DLC character.

However, the game being so open makes experimenting a breeze. Once you realise you can streamline, you can access half of the game's lands within 20 minutes. You can be buying +4 Smithing Stones and upgrading Great Stars before you've even fought a single enemy, then take the early trap chest to pick up some +5s and be absurdly OP. The game's a playground if you want it to be, which is why I keep picking it up to do something new.

Yeah, and you can get a unique weapon up to +6 without swinging once.

It could be +10 if the somber 7 wasn't in Volcano Mansion.

You can also up your healing massively before taking on your first foe.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

I've done characters where I purposely keep to the intended progression, because most of my new characters involve some amount of world trekking before I do anything and that inevitably means passing a certain numbers of flask upgrades. Early game ER is actually quite brutal in terms of starting health and healing potential. The intent of the design seems to be "Don't go do Margit yet, go explore south and get a bunch of upgrades and weapons first so you can out-heal and brute force if you need to".

There is also the explosive elevator fall skip through Point of Known Return transporter trap chest, which opens Leyndell early. However, the easiest is probably just skipping Stormveil Castle via bridge, doing Rya's quest in Liurnia, using the Grand Lift of Dectus, and speaking to Rya, so she can teleport the player to Volcano Manor. Of course, the medallion halves necesitate a visit to Fort Haight in Mistwood (short ride) and Fort Faroth in Dragonbarrow (the waygate by the Third Church of Marika is near). Either method takes no longer than an hour if done fast.

Last edited:
I'm nearly level 125 and just arrived at Fire Giant.

I feel like I hit a brick wall

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv
Fire Giant is horrible at first BUT don’t let him psyche you out. He’s actually reasonably easy if you don’t summon Alex and use your horse instead. You just have to stay calm and pray to the gods that he doesn’t roll around so much. And watch out for the rocks - don’t get stuck on them.

I say reasonably because what’s coming next tends to break people lol. You will look back at this guy with true fondness.

I suggest watching some YouTube vids. Skumnut is good at Fire Giant.

Top Bottom