• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Mohg’s delays and roll catches are worse, imo. I just can’t get my head around that boss. Every time I’ve beaten him it’s been pure fluke.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Mohg’s delays and roll catches are worse, imo. I just can’t get my head around that boss. Every time I’ve beaten him it’s been pure fluke.
Mohg's pretty bad for that, but he won't dual wield fast combo and he's entirely optional so I can forgive that. It's an additional challenge rather than the first boss of real progression.

I eventually did get better at Mohg, but he does take some learning.

I find tougher Souls bosses get easier when you have nothing to lose and stop caring. If you don't care, you will be calmer and have better reactions

Nankatsu

What's up with those spectral signs that sometimes appear on the floor in circles? I've came across some, seems like they're hinting me at something but I have no clue what.

Last edited:
Arrived at Margit the Fell...and well shit. Even with the sorcerer summoning, the wolves summoning and being over leveled for this specific boss (level 33), I'm struggling.

Welcome to Elden Ring, I guess.
I feel you, I struggled a lot against Margit, definitely one of the hardest bosses in the game for me, in large part because at this point in the game your health bar is still quite small. You really have to git gud or play in a suicidal way until you somehow kill him before he kills you. On the bright side this is good training for later bosses. You have to learn to stay calm, quick to decide what to do, and precise in your actions. Which really mirrors fights in real life, speaking as someone who spars at the gym with others.

Soodanim

Gold Member
What's up with those spectral signs that sometimes appear on the floor in circles? I've came across some, seems like they're hinting me at something but I have no clue what.
I can't figure out what you mean, are you able to provide a picture or a location?

Yellow circles in specific dungeons? If so, you need to lure shadow enemies into them so they become vulnerable to your hits.

Otherwise I have no idea what you’re talking about!

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Personally I think Margit is more difficult than he needs to be in a few ways. They want you to be encouraged to go exploring, I get that, but the attack delays are more extreme than anything else in the entire game. He's got combos that seem to catch you unless you were already away from him. I can more reliably dodge the most difficult bosses in the game than I can Margit.
So true. They went all in on the whole "gatekeeper" idea with him. I struggled with Margit. It was unpleasant. I get the mentality and I get the design but damn he was a bitch for me. I waltzed through later bosses that gave everyone problems. Although Mogh was my hardest challenge. Came close to re-speccing for him. Margit could've been dialed back a little in my mind. Especially because you meet him again ... twice.

Nankatsu

I can't figure out what you mean, are you able to provide a picture or a location?
Theres one near the sealed tunnel, in the middle of the lake, outside.

On the water you can see magic signs going in circles, looking like footsteps.

Maybe I need to change time of day to trigger something?

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

Ohhhhh you poor man/woman, you've been missing out. You know the scarab/dung beetle looking things that drop Ashes of War? They're those but invisible. You need to catch them with an as they come past. They stick to fixed routes, so wait for them to come back around
So true. They went all in on the whole "gatekeeper" idea with him. I struggled with Margit. It was unpleasant. I get the mentality and I get the design but damn he was a bitch for me. I waltzed through later bosses that gave everyone problems. Although Mogh was my hardest challenge. Came close to re-speccing for him. Margit could've been dialed back a little in my mind. Especially because you meet him again ... twice.
Margit is more difficult than the first two shard bearers. Granted, the game tells you it will be tough, but in terms of balance it's a hell of a wall. I had an easy time the first time I fought him because I explored everything I could find first and was over-leveled.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Best method I found for the invisible scarab/footprints was to charge an attack on Torrent in the path of the prints. It activates a hitbox the whole time the attack is charging and gives you a huge window to make contact. All you need is 1hp of damage.

Edit - Nankatsu Nankatsu this was for you

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Arrived at Margit the Fell...and well shit. Even with the sorcerer summoning, the wolves summoning and being over leveled for this specific boss (level 33), I'm struggling.

Welcome to Elden Ring, I guess.
Margit is an absolute bitch. Attack delays, infallible target tracking, instant counterattack when you get in for a quick hit in the midst of a seemingly infinite flurry of attacks, long-range attacks when you try to heal from afar. He has everything that makes almost anything with a unique name and a long healthbar so annoying in this game. He’s fucking cheap, no two ways around it. It’s gatekeeping of the cheapest kind, and he soured me on the whole game so early.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Best method I found for the invisible scarab/footprints was to charge an attack on Torrent in the path of the prints. It activates a hitbox the whole time the attack is charging and gives you a huge window to make contact. All you need is 1hp of damage.
My old go to was Hoarfrost Stomp, but I couldn't tell you what I do now. I probably just time a swing

Nankatsu

Ohhhhh you poor man/woman, you've been missing out. You know the scarab/dung beetle looking things that drop Ashes of War? They're those but invisible. You need to catch them with an as they come past. They stick to fixed routes, so wait for them to come back around

Thanks my man! Do I need to use a special item to see them and catch them?

Because I've followed one, and at no given time I could see an opening to catch it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Because I've followed one, and at no given time I could see an opening to catch it :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Wait in its path and attack as it approaches you. I always use a dagger.

Margit is an absolute bitch. Attack delays, infallible target tracking, instant counterattack when you get in for a quick hit in the midst of a seemingly infinite flurry of attacks, long-range attacks when you try to heal from afar. He has everything that makes almost anything with a unique name and a long healthbar so annoying in this game. He’s fucking cheap, no two ways around it. It’s gatekeeping of the cheapest kind, and he soured me on the whole game so early.
Funny how widely different it is for everybody. I could fight him 10 times a day and not get bored.

Fire Giant is the worst.

Soodanim

Gold Member

No items needed, just some attack damage. I think the invisible ones must have 1HP.

Do you have any spells that might help? Dragon breath, crystal burst, that sort of thing

Nankatsu

Man, this game's world is a blast to explore. Time flies by when I'm playing this game.

Already level 50, still getting my ass kicked from time to time :messenger_tears_of_joy:

How do I know what's the exact place to go in order to follow the main plot? Any indicator of it? It's the yellow line that comes out of the lost grace isn't it?

Last edited:
Man, this game's world is a blast to explore. Time flies by when I'm playing this game.

Already level 50, still getting my ass kicked from time to time :messenger_tears_of_joy:

How do I know what's the exact place to go in order to follow the main plot? Any indicator of it? It's the yellow line that comes out of the lost grace isn't it?
If you solely follow the yellow line you’ll get body checked. It just sends you to narrative bosses.

There is no exact pace to go, that’s why it’s so good.

If you choose to put the time in you’ll eventually find your own start game route where you can enter the first boss arena with a mostly maxed out weapon and yourself buffed up the kazoo. And in working all of this out you’ll realise that the designers wanted you to be able to do this.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

The short answer is yes.

The gold trails from sites of Grace is the Guidance of Grace that will guide you to the next checkpoint on your path in the story. Eventually NPCs will explain things in more detail but for now, that will do. If you're level 50 you've done a fair bit of exploring, so if you feel like progressing then go for it, because you don't want to force yourself into something you don't want to do.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Watch a weapon expert react to Elden Ring, and its many weapons! We got Matt Easton, an all-around weapon, HEMA and battle expert, to look at IGN's Game of the Year for 2022, Elden Ring and it's iconic weaponry.

From the Bloodhound Fang, to the Twinned Knight Swords and the Bloodhound Claws, Matt breaks down just how realistic these weapons are, how they're used and what they could be inspired by.

Matt Easton is a Historical European Martial Artist, Antique Arms Dealer, and owner of the fencing club Schola Gladiatoria.

00:00 - Intro
00:37 - Longsword
04:33 - Celebrant’s Sickle
06:05 - Bloodhound’s Fang
08:42 - Twinned Knight Swords
11:24 - Bloodhound Claws
14:09 - Final Thoughts

Soodanim

Gold Member
Started a new character called Axelotl with the intention of using 2 axes. I don't like the L1s because each hit comes out separately, so I scrapped that one and started again.

Thought of a twinblade character, but realised my Black Flame guy already uses one. Played that for a little bit.

Started a dual dagger character (named Daggy, because I'm creative like that) to experiment with the 1.08 patch changes, and they're quite fun. The game gives you a unique one immediately, which makes it quite easy to start out. Had a look through the wiki... Black Knife is the obvious choice for a fun L2 that I haven't used.

I make my way to Leyndell with my bleed dagger and shield, thinking it shouldn't be too much trouble to take down the Black Knife Assassin with some ranged L2s for bleed cheese. Bleed never procs. Fine, high resistance, that's fine. I get Rot Breath, thinking that will be an even easier cheese for such an annoying fuck of an enemy. No proc there either. Wiki time. Immune to everything but frost. Fine, Ice Breath. Still a pain. Look for a cheese, try it, doesn't quite play out. This is getting annoying. Decide to slowly cheese frost procs and run aways. Get followed to round the back. BKA gets locked in an unintentional cheese spot (they get stuck in "Walk back to fighting area" instructions and let you kill them). Opportunity taken. Now I have my two daggers. Might build up a collection for this character and switch up tactics every now and again.

The latest patch seems to have created an interesting trade off between claws and daggers. Claws have more poise damage now, and daggers are faster. Luckily I have my character "Claw Blimey" to play with, and instead of being stuck with just one pair at a time I use multiple single claws. It gives you a lot more variety.

I think I've near exhausted every weapon type, and I'll have to switch it up and do something like 2 hand a damaging Great Shield if I want to keep it fresh. I've seen some real abuse done with a bleed shield and the charge forward L2.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Have myself another question: Can I give scrolls to any npc, or does the content vary depending to whom I give them?
They unlock the same spells regardless of who you give them to. However, you can only give them to one NPC and then you're reliant on them and only them if you want to buy anything from that unlock.

Some of those NPCs, Brother Corhyn is a good example, have their own quests and will move about the world making tracking them down just to buy a spell you need difficult.

I'll avoid any spoilers but a good rule of thumb is to buy your spells as soon as you unlock them if you think there's a reasonable chance you'll use them. Runes are infinite after all.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Finally bought it and it’s great so far but I think I’m doing it wrong. I beat the first boss before the castle and I am slowly progressing through it but is it me or are there very few weapons? I ran around the world a bit and didn’t find much, other than bad guys that kill me pretty quick.

So far, I’m a samurai, pushing levels to dexterity but that is only really due to me running dex in previous souls games.

Any tips? Not looking for something overt, just a bit of a nudge to point me in the right way.

kiiltz

Finally bought it and it’s great so far but I think I’m doing it wrong. I beat the first boss before the castle and I am slowly progressing through it but is it me or are there very few weapons? I ran around the world a bit and didn’t find much, other than bad guys that kill me pretty quick.

So far, I’m a samurai, pushing levels to dexterity but that is only really due to me running dex in previous souls games.

Any tips? Not looking for something overt, just a bit of a nudge to point me in the right way.
The world is big and the weapons will come but it might be a while if you’re playing dex. From memory, early game drops tend to favour bonk builds or quality at the least. I play dex and used longswords for my whole run. Good news is whetstones let you change the weapon scaling of non-unique weapons. In any case, Katanas are still one of best weapons in the game.

kiiltz

I finally received my copy of Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades yesterday and started it. Is there an OT thread for it like this one?
It’d be cool if this was de facto From Software thread. I’ve been playing Bloodborne and been itching to talk about it. Started up DS3 too but not sure if it’s something I’m going to stick with.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The world is big and the weapons will come but it might be a while if you’re playing dex. From memory, early game drops tend to favour bonk builds or quality at the least. I play dex and used longswords for my whole run. Good news is whetstones let you change the weapon scaling of non-unique weapons. In any case, Katanas are still one of best weapons in the game.
Good tips. Now I need to ask. How do we caste spells?

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Started a new character called Axelotl with the intention of using 2 axes. I don't like the L1s because each hit comes out separately, so I scrapped that one and started again.

Thought of a twinblade character, but realised my Black Flame guy already uses one. Played that for a little bit.

Started a dual dagger character (named Daggy, because I'm creative like that) to experiment with the 1.08 patch changes, and they're quite fun. The game gives you a unique one immediately, which makes it quite easy to start out. Had a look through the wiki... Black Knife is the obvious choice for a fun L2 that I haven't used.

I make my way to Leyndell with my bleed dagger and shield, thinking it shouldn't be too much trouble to take down the Black Knife Assassin with some ranged L2s for bleed cheese. Bleed never procs. Fine, high resistance, that's fine. I get Rot Breath, thinking that will be an even easier cheese for such an annoying fuck of an enemy. No proc there either. Wiki time. Immune to everything but frost. Fine, Ice Breath. Still a pain. Look for a cheese, try it, doesn't quite play out. This is getting annoying. Decide to slowly cheese frost procs and run aways. Get followed to round the back. BKA gets locked in an unintentional cheese spot (they get stuck in "Walk back to fighting area" instructions and let you kill them). Opportunity taken. Now I have my two daggers. Might build up a collection for this character and switch up tactics every now and again.

The latest patch seems to have created an interesting trade off between claws and daggers. Claws have more poise damage now, and daggers are faster. Luckily I have my character "Claw Blimey" to play with, and instead of being stuck with just one pair at a time I use multiple single claws. It gives you a lot more variety.

I think I've near exhausted every weapon type, and I'll have to switch it up and do something like 2 hand a damaging Great Shield if I want to keep it fresh. I've seen some real abuse done with a bleed shield and the charge forward L2.
Black Knife Assassin is funny. At range, there is a loop where she will attempt to do jumping black knife projectile and hitting her during it will knock her down. Close up any skill that is 360 degrees will always trade in your favor. Sea of Magma skill on Magma Whip Candlestick and Thunderstorm skill on Stormhawk Axe are her kryptonite.

Good tips. Now I need to ask. How do we caste spells?
Sorceries need to be attuned at a site of grace and cast with a glintstone staff. Incantations need to be attuned at a site of grace and cast with a sacred seal.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
It’d be cool if this was de facto From Software thread. I’ve been playing Bloodborne and been itching to talk about it. Started up DS3 too but not sure if it’s something I’m going to stick with.
When I had a brief stint at the purple website (before being banned of course) the best thread was their From/Souls community page. No politics or bullshit just people like us who are kind of nuts about these games.

I've considered making one of these for GAF dozens of times but the Hangouts/Community region of this site is kind of barren.

kiiltz

I’ve been playing Bloodborne and been itching to talk about it.
I’m up to Lady Maria on NG+ and I’ve decide this time around I’m gonna try beat her with just Blades of Mercy, no parry and no health vials.

Was getting ready to give up at Ludwig because that fight vexes me and is a major ball ache but since getting to Maria I’m getting excited to play the game again and god I love her OST.

I might try do the same for Orphan too actually.

Last edited:
DS3 log: I beat Iudex Gundyr after a few tries. He’s tough but he’s no Margit. Glad to see my Elden Ring playthrough is paying off here. So I explored some of the Wall of Lothric and that bone item that takes you back to the last bonfire saved my ass against that enemy that morphs like Gundyr. Fighting that with no Estus flasks left is a fool’s errand for a player like me.

Edit: I found an old OT thread but it's locked so I can't do necromancy on it.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I’m completely lost again lol.

I beat Godfrey and then went back to the round table and “that” happened. Now I have no idea where to go

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I’m up to Lady Maria on NG+ and I’ve decide this time around I’m gonna try beat her with just Blades of Mercy, no parry and no health vials.

Was getting ready to give up at Ludwig because that fight vexes me and is a major ball ache but since getting to Maria I’m getting excited to play the game again and god I love her OST.

Maria without parries... why make it dificult on yourself? Ludwig has a summonable Valtr avatar to help you beat him. He is not that aggressive and most of his attacks are linear and have no homing properties.

DS3 log: I beat Iudex Gundyr after a few tries. He’s tough but he’s no Margit. Glad to see my Elden Ring playthrough is paying off here. So I explored some of the Wall of Lothric and that bone item that takes you back to the last bonfire saved my ass against that enemy that morphs like Gundyr. Fighting that with no Estus flasks left is a fool’s errand for a player like me.
Index Gundyr is so easy that an unarmed deprived can beat him with Black Firebomb burial gift. Ranged projectiles make short work of the shadow monsters. Tell me how well you fare against the Samurai Master to the left of the entrance to Firelink Shrine or Vordt of the Boreal Valley instead.

I’m completely lost again lol.

I beat Godfrey and then went back to the round table and “that” happened. Now I have no idea where to go
If you speak of the golden shade, then there is much for you to do still in the capital (a root can take you to a higher level and further your journey). Otherwise, make contact with the thorns that protect the entrance to the Erdtree by the Elden Throne site of grace. I sincerely hope you are not thinking of Godrick The Grafted in Storveil Castle instead (in which case, the door going NorthWest into Liurnia would be easiest).

Last edited:

kiiltz

Maria without parries... why make it dificult on yourself?
You're speaking to someone whose favorite fight in ER is Malenia and fights her without summons, parry, bleed/frost or bloodhound step. I don't really know if I'm going to play DLC again after this so I wanna do it this way while I have the chance.

... I might go back on not using health vials though xD

Kindela

Banned
Been playing for 20 hours now. Started with a lordsworn gs, now rocking the zweihander. Margit fell in 4-5 attempts, but I was level 39, with a plus 5 or 6 zwei, so maybe over leveled. Bit even so, it was really messy. For nearly every time I'd hit him, I'd also get hit. Zwei is really slow, and Margit hits with 6-7 attack combos sometimes.

The open world is fun to explore, but the catacombs/caves have been underwhelming a bit so far. The fact that they're really similar to one another hurts not just the copies, but the originals as well. It lessens them.

The combat and the movement had some qol changes that makes it really engaging to roam around and fight. Jump, jump attack, no stamina drain when exploring, mount, mount combat, ashes of war, all of these are really refreshing.

And the map seems massive. So big in fact, that I gave up on trying to scour every edge and every square meter of it. It makes me open it too frequently and I could see myself getting burned out. Exploring organically, and visiting locations that seem interesting from far off seems to be the way to go.

Nankatsu

Bleed build is nice and all until you face bosses that are super aggressive on you. Just met Elemer of the Briar and fucking hell.

Had to summon my skeletons and use them as bait to beat him.

I need to throw some points into intelligence and faith because I need some long range options sometimes.

Also ventured into the Radahn fight and noped the fuck out of there :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I originally beat Elemer with the Pulley Crossbow, so, no you do not need faith or intelligence for ranged options. However, it is worth noting that Elemer is easier at close range than at long range.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

I originally beat Elemer with the Pulley Crossbow, so, no you do not need faith or intelligence for ranged options. However, it is worth noting that Elemer is easier at close range than at long range.
Yeah, I don't run a crossbow, otherwise I'll go into heavy load and look like a turtle rolling :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Chronicle

I'm trying to like this game. I just started and perhaps I need more time but I just don't like the open world. I prefer the linearity of the other games.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
My wife is starting her play through. She’s never played a souls game before so I’m excited to get to watch her. I’m also going to pick up my playthrough. I left off at Volcano manor around 80 hours in.

e: I love that I haven't played in months and I can immediately pick the combat back up and get my skills back to where they were. So good.

Last edited:

kiiltz

Ended doing no parry but needing blood vials xD nbd really cos I never parried first time around either. Blades of Mercy are fun weapons but I had to switch back to the pimp cane for Orphan’s second phase. I’m pretty satisfied with that. Just gonna do Queen Yharnam and get the other two endings before I move on.

Somewhere amidst all that I went and got myself to Malenia again on ng+8. I was going to do just that one and then move on and replay Sekiro but with the Christmas period and new players I might stick around and use my second character to help other people out with bosses. But I’ve seen people be pretty stupid in clips though so maybe not.

Shtef

I just turned on xbox and saw this, wtf?
rVNlsbg.jpg

Index Gundyr is so easy that an unarmed deprived can beat him with Black Firebomb burial gift. Ranged projectiles make short work of the shadow monsters. Tell me how well you fare against the Samurai Master to the left of the entrance to Firelink Shrine or Vordt of the Boreal Valley instead.
I just beat Vordt of the Boreal Valley. He’s manageable. To me the real challenge so far is not so much the enemies but the low amount of health/stamina and the small number of Estus flasks. Haven’t met any samurai though.

So the high wall of Lothric is quite small compared to Elden Ring dungeons but I don’t mind at all. The small number of bonfires makes them quite tough though, and add to that having to make my way to the boss without dying or using too many flasks. That’s quite challenging.

So when will I start finding Embers? From what I’ve seen online they work just like the Rune Arcs in Elden Ring. Also when can I start using weapon arts? I have a broadsword and it doesn’t seem to have any.

Top Bottom