• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring may soon get a VR Mod, first gameplay footage

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

LukeRoss, the man behind the amazing VR Mods for Read Dead Redemption 2, Grand Theft Auto 5 and Horizon Zero Dawn, has teased a VR Mod for Elden Ring. This VR Mod will be using a first-person camera viewpoint, and you can find below the first gameplay footage from it.

LukeRoss has not revealed when – and if – this VR Mod will come out. Still, and from what we can see, the game plays wonderfully in VR with an FP camera. Combat feels a bit weird but most die-hard fans will be able to get used to it.

The following video showcases the intro section of Elden Ring. Unfortunately, though, it does not show any combat sequences. Regardless of that, a VR Mod would give this game a big boost.

VR seems to be really hitting big strides this year. We're not seeing the usual trickle of VR mods, modes and games, we're seeing a tidal wave of announcements that are all unofficial. Has the PSVR2 put a rocket up the devs asses behind the scenes?

Pejo

That's really cool. I'd love to play through like this for fun. Shame that the attacks are tied to buttons, but otherwise it'd probably become laughably easy like Skyrim VR

Ok. Looks like I am running out of excuses for NOT buying a VR device...
Idk, the best VR experiences are games made explicitly for VR, like Half-life Alyx or Astrobot. I've found console games brought over to VR to be worse, including stuff like Skyrim and No Man's Sky.

RE7 was pretty cool, but even that was a bit too much exclusively in VR.

I honestly think Elden Ring VR would be doing a disservice to both VR and Elden Ring. They're not made for each other.

Last edited:

Romulus

Idk, the best VR experiences are games made explicitly for VR, like Half-life Alyx or Astrobot. I've found console games brought over to VR to be worse, including stuff like Skyrim and No Man's Sky.

I honestly think Elden Ring VR would be doing a disservice to both VR and Elden Ring. They're not made for each other.

Maybe on console, but I loved skyrim and NMS in PCVR. Made the non VR experience pretty much unplayable.

alife

this would be nice for just walking around the world, for combat it would be an absolute disaster.
Trying to dodge roll an attack:
Fn0k91t.gif

FunkMiller

Gold Member
How the hell does combat work with this? Either impossible, or stupidly easy, I suppose?

If he can get that sorted out, and it’s a stable mod, I guess I’ll be getting the game again on PC.

Why change it to First person view though? Having the game in a 'God Mode' view would be equally cool. or make it like a table top where you can move around your character

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't see how it could possibly be playable this way.
If it's just 3rd person camera and still using controller, then sure

This would work in 3rd person view. It can be like one of the first Oculus VR games (I forget the title). You absolutely MUST be able to see your character when playing this game. It's required in order to survive.
VR really shines in third-person. Consider stuff like Astrobot and Moss. I just don't know about games not originally designed for VR

Zug

Any game can work well in VR with a complete camera and control rework.
Souls game are quite moddable on the surface (assets, general combat), but you can only get so far without access to the game code.

Tygeezy

The Dr. Beef ports of old fps games are awesome in VR. Quake 1-3, doom 3, return to castle wolfenstein.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

While Ross is well versed in making third-person VR mods (the Mafia trilogy being a case in point), for Elden Ring he's optimising the mod for the first-person perspective. You'll be able to play in the original third-person view as well, though he doesn't recommend it.

"Third-person in this game is really far away (about 5 meters on average) and that doesn't work very well in VR," Ross told me. "Instead of being in the thick of action, you're kind of like 'Hey, is something going on over there?' Nevertheless, I'm going to leave the original camera as an option for purists. I'll probably also add an intermediate, close-third-person camera. But I think the first-person camera is where it's at."

I also asked Ross about how he'll address motion sickness in relation to the more herky-jerky aspects of Elden Ring, like all that rolling. "When rolling or performing other scripted animations like the combat moves, the camera follows the character's head (so its position changes) but it remains oriented correctly according to what your head is doing in real life," he said. "So the horizon will stay level and the world will always look stable."

So it sounds like your VR view won't be being flipped upside-down each time you roll, though there'll still be plenty of movement. Ross stresses that his mods are designed for an audience that's "already developed their VR legs," so it looks like you'll either need to be comfortable in VR or just be discerning in your dodge-rolls. The threat of nausea is a great incentive not to just start panic-rolling as soon as you taste the power of Radahn or any of the other shardbearers.

Ross hopes to release the Elden Ring VR mod by the end of the month, but stresses it will still be a work-in-progress at that point.

Pejo

It seems playable until you're right up against a larger enemy. It seems tough to judge distance properly, but that's probably more to do with watching the video in 2D instead of in a headset.

Still, I think I'd rather play this like Astrobot where my head is the camera and I just control my character directly. It sounds like the issue the creator has with that is just that the character is too far from the player in 3rd person mode. I'm sure there's a way to adjust that if they can make a full VR mod.

Last edited:
Top Bottom