• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring is the most awarded game of 2022 with 119 Game of the Year awards

Draugoth

Gold Member
elden-ring-820x394.jpeg

source

It’s awards season once again, and Elden Ring has left God of War Ragnarok behind to claim the highest number of Game of the Year awards in the year 2022. Several awards have yet to be added, though given the large gulf in the number of awards given to both games, it’ll highly unlikely that God of War Ragnarok will even the odds, let alone pull ahead.
Going by the current tally, Elden Ring is the clear victor, with a total of 119 Game of the Year awards, out of which 110 are from media outlets and 9 are based on reader votes. God of War Ragnarok comes in at a distant 2nd place, with a total of 23 Game of the Year awards, out of which 21 are from media outlets and 2 are based on reader votes.

Elden Ring’s momentum hasn’t come close to slowing down, as the game is reportedly set to receive a whole slew of DLC content, of which the Colosseum is merely the first. Well-known enthusiast of From Software titles Lance McDonald took to Twitter to share that the Colosseum DLC update that Elden Ring recently received is the first of a series of planned content for the title. He added that the Colosseum DLC is called “DLC1” internally, and it was planned to be the first DLC since before the game’s release.

McDonald also mentioned that he’ll be able to talk more about what happened with this DLC behind the scenes, referring to his earlier comment about it being, in his opinion, the worst DLC that From Software has ever released. He added that, for now, Elden Ring is in active development, and fans should remain confident in From Software’s ability to deliver.

Fredrik

Deserved!
Everything else has been a side dish for me this year, I’m playing it as we speak, haven’t really stopped playing it since it launched, I’m on my 4th playthrough now. I hope they have a meaty expansion planned, the colosseum does not interest me.

Jennings

Alright cool. Let's hope Armored Core 6 lives up to Elden Ring. I'll be new to that series, having never heard of it before the announcement, and I'm expecting good things from From from now on.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The awards are still coming, don't think it's gonna end at 119.

Not gonna reach 300+ or something but it doesn't look like that many outlets are awarding this year anyway.

One of the few, if not the only, games that the hype train was out of control and yet it still managed to exceed expectations. This game shouldn't exist in our timeline.

I've been hoping Elden Ring would usher in a return era of "gameplay first" but it seems we are still stuck in the cinematic era. The game defies nearly every tenet of modern gaming. A game like this would've felt right at home in the late 90's.

And it's well deserved. Haven't felt this much enjoyment out of a modern video game since The Witcher 3, and i'm not even a fan of Dark Souls.

You know this game is awesome wen even a complete outsider like me is enjoying the Hell out of it. 55 hours in, not even half way through. Bloodhound's Fang build all the way, and i'm itching to start a new build wen i'm done. I can imagine dumping at least 300 hours into this.

This is a game that comes once in a decade.

thuGG_pl

And it's well deserved. Haven't felt this much enjoyment out of a modern video game since The Witcher 3, and i'm not even a fan of Dark Souls.

You know this game is awesome wen even a complete outsider like me is enjoying the Hell out of it. 55 hours in, not even half way through. Bloodhound's Fang build all the way, and i'm itching to start a new build wen i'm done. I can imagine dumping at least 300 hours into this.

This is a game that comes once in a decade.
Hehe, we have similar experience then ;)

Bloodborne is one of my favourite experiences on a console, so I have to delve into ER at some point. Hopefully I will be able to get a PS5 this year (especially if the rumoured "new model" is introduced) with a few games I have been dying to try...

Last edited:
How many games that launched in the beginning of the year, still dominated the end of the year like ER?

Usually those games are forgotten for all the shit that released at the end of the year.
I think Mass Effect 2 was the last to do this but even it wasn't this dominate.

Picked this up during the holiday sale and wow is it good. Went in completely blind and it's the best game I've played in quite some time. Stands up there with Demon Souls and Dark Souls as the best FROM title imo and I've barely scratched the surface here. The game looks massive and will probably take me weeks/months to get through.

It makes the rest of the industry, in particular western devs not named ID Software/CDPR look like absolute clowns.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Graphics and art is absolute bonkers. If you are new to the game do not be a completionist because it will ruin your experience. Just follow the yellow markers, otherwise you'll become too powerful and every boss will feel like you are wiping your arse after a good round of coffee.

Just repeating myself here, but nothing else came close this year.
I have my doubts that any other game will surpass it this gen either, even though it is a cross-gen title.

Defintiely. My comment was just poking fun at some of the complaints lobbed at the game.

I love ER, still play it on a regular basis with my buddies in coop.

It's overwhelming at first, but when I finally decided to go balls to the wall, while on an extreme expresso, I was dying a lot because of the trial and error shit they got in this game. Lot's of traps, lot's of areas designed somewhat similar to the Bloodborne Chalices. Clever, hidden dangers, breakable walls, awesome music, enjoyable and sometimes difficult boss fights, refined combat system compared to the previous souls games; given, it's borrowed from everything before it, imo.

Started it for the first time this weekend with my naked wretched clubber!
You doing a no leveling run, Brother?
Or you just like it rough at the 'start' :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
Top Bottom