• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring is the most awarded game of 2022 with 119 Game of the Year awards

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And all that for just being a good video game, and not for having a 2-time Olympic power lifting champion as one of the main theoretical female leads.

The game won because people thought it was GOTY.

It had over 100+ fan votes.

You guys need to stop making excuses when your favorite game doesn't win a lot of awards.

The sales and social media chatter were more important. The sound of hundreds of games pivoting. Removing heaps of map icons, self talk, partner puzzle help.

Hopefully devs find a reason to live now that there can be more to do in games.

mansoor1980

giphy.gif

Drizzlehell

Banned
The game won because people thought it was GOTY.

It had over 100+ fan votes.

You guys need to stop making excuses when your favorite game doesn't win a lot of awards.
Uhh... yeah? I don't know what you're getting at but I didn't disagree with ER being GOTY, lol.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Do you guys grind in this game or just level up as you go?

I haven't been looking up any tips or seeing what certain items do or where they're located unlike my Bloodborne and Demon Souls playthroughs

thuGG_pl

I haven't been looking up any tips or seeing what certain items do or where they're located unlike my Bloodborne and Demon Souls playthroughs
I levelled up as I went, I was just trying to be careful not to loose too many runes but that's all.

Madflavor

"Most GotY awards ever!" is an arbitrary system that should hold no weight, but unfortunately the gaming community is retarded.

Just to give perspective, here's a list of all the total GotY awards that were give out every year, for the past few years:

2018 - 519
2019 - 471
2020 - 648
2021 - 442

Where did those 200 GoTY awards go between 2020 - 2021? We literally counted a bunch of randos with twitter accounts who ejaculated over TLOU2, wanting to give their own GoTY award, and then we say TLOU2 is the record holder for the most GoTY awards ever. Not sure if the same thing will happen this year with Elden Ring but wouldn't be surprised. This is just all the more reason that video games near their own "Best Picture" or "Most Outstanding Drama" equivalent. The Game Awards needs their own unique goty title to separate their award from the rest of the 600 GotY awards that exist.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"Most GotY awards ever!" is an arbitrary system that should hold no weight, but unfortunately the gaming community is retarded.

Just to give perspective, here's a list of all the total GotY awards that were give out every year, for the past few years:

2018 - 519
2019 - 471
2020 - 648
2021 - 442

Where did those 200 GoTY awards go between 2020 - 2021? We literally counted a bunch of randos with twitter accounts who ejaculated over TLOU2, wanting to give their own GoTY award, and then we say TLOU2 is the record holder for the most GoTY awards ever. Not sure if the same thing will happen this year with Elden Ring but wouldn't be surprised. This is just all the more reason that video games near their own "Best Picture" or "Most Outstanding Drama" equivalent. The Game Awards needs their own unique goty title to separate their award from the rest of the 600 GotY awards that exist.
Websites and publications come and go each and every year.

Madflavor

Websites and publications come and go each and every year.
200 though? You can’t tell me this was the result of 200 websites and publications going after 2020, that’s way too high of an number. Of the extra 200 awards that appeared in 2020, how many of them were from websites and publications who normally don’t cover gaming, but they did that year just to cover how great TLoU2 was? How many were from random small time twitter accounts? It was probably a lot.

A difference of 48 awards between 2018 to 2019 is one thing, but a difference of 200? Yeah whatever standards there are for giving out a Game of the Year award and being counted toward an aggregate is nonexistent.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
200 though? You can’t tell me this was the result of 200 websites and publications going after 2020, that’s way too high of an number. Of the extra 200 awards that appeared in 2020, how many of them were from websites and publications who normally don’t cover gaming, but they did that year just to cover how great TLoU2 was? How many were from random small time twitter accounts? It was probably a lot.

A difference of 48 awards between 2018 to 2019 is one thing, but a difference of 200? Yeah whatever standards there are for giving out a Game of the Year award and being counted toward an aggregate is nonexistent.
If only there was a global event from 2020 to today that caused thousands of businesses to go defunct.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
At this point Fromsoft could just change the colors of all the characters hair, call the update Elden Ring 2, and the cult fanbase will still push people to give it game of the year.

I see nothing remarkable about Elden Ring compared to all the other Souls template games.
I love the wonder and discovery in Elden Ring it's a really good game but it is a tad bit overrated imo

Last edited:

sandbood

Banned
If only there was a global event from 2020 to today that caused thousands of businesses to go defunct.
Era already discussed this matter, apparently, Sony fanboy was the one who managed that website and during 2020 he included even twitch users, Instagram, facebook, and etc in order to inflate the count for TLOU2.

Nobody is going to take that bullshit lol.

Madflavor

What are you on man? There was a 177 jump after 2019, and then a 206 drop after 2020. That's from Covid? A period of time where people mostly stayed in their homes, in front of their computers, where websites and publications are able to post their articles and tweet their awards anyway? And what does businesses going defunct have to do with the random twitter users I mentioned? Covid didn't shut down their twitter accounts.

You logic is blowing my mind.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What are you on man? There was a 177 jump after 2019, and then a 206 drop after 2020. That's from Covid? A period of time where people mostly stayed in their homes, in front of their computers, where websites and publications are able to post their articles and tweet their awards anyway? And what does businesses going defunct have to do with the random twitter users I mentioned? Covid didn't shut down their twitter accounts.

You logic is blowing my mind.
I was not privy to the random Twitter users that were used. That does not negate what I mentioned either.

sandbood

Banned
One thing that's very hard to take previous years results seriously.

Random website with 10 viewers and votes has the same weight as Japanese video game award that consisted of thousands of professional video game developers and experts.

Madflavor

I was not privy to the random Twitter users that were used. That does not negate what I mentioned either.
Running a website for your media outlets is one of the more viable jobs to do outside the office, especially considering everyone else in the world is also home and also has access to the internet to read your publications. I'd be very surprised if the Covid Pandemic hit journalists hard. In fact I would imagine they would probably thrive under those circumstances. Maybe I'm wrong, but the primary reason for the 200 difference between years has been known for some time.

I've been reading that ResetEra thread where their users discussed and analyzed how GoTY Tracker counted the awards, especially in 2020. It's honestly worse than I originally thought. The guy running it is an avid Sony fan and was counting the smallest and most ridiculous accounts across social media to manipulate and pump up the numbers. Since then the website has gotten stricter for who gets counted toward the aggregate, but The Last of Us Part 2 may probably forever hold the record for most GotY awards because of that.

Madflavor

People still salty about TLOU2 still i see lol
I'm not shy about my dislike toward TLoU2, but It's less a bout TLoU2 and more about how the guy who ran GoTY Tracker in 2020 handled that year, and the standards of who gets counted toward the aggerate.

I've argued for a prestige Game of the Year award for years now, to separate that award from the rest of them. Obviously there's TGAs, but they still title their award Game of the Year. There's only one Best Picture every year, but there's 400-600 (depending) Game of the Year awards every year. It's stupid and something should change. Cyberpunk 2077 is getting a Game of the Year Edition. I really love Cyberpunk, but game of the year it was not, and most people know that. But it technically won a game of the year award, so now they can release the game and call the game that.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I'm not shy about my dislike toward TLoU2, but It's less a bout TLoU2 and more about how the guy who ran GoTY Tracker in 2020 handled that year, and the standards of who gets counted toward the aggerate.

I've argued for a prestige Game of the Year award for years now, to separate that award from the rest of them. Obviously there's TGAs, but they still title their award Game of the Year. There's only one Best Picture every year, but there's 400-600 (depending) Game of the Year awards every year. It's stupid and something should change. Cyberpunk 2077 is getting a Game of the Year Edition. I really love Cyberpunk, but game of the year it was not, and most people know that. But it technically won a game of the year award, so now they can release the game and call the game that.

You're just getting hung up on semantics. The Game Awards' GOTY award is the most prestigious and recognized award in the industry, just as how the Best Picture winner at the Oscars is the most prestigious and recognized award in film. Established/respected teams of professionals from across the industry all vote on The Game Awards winner, it's the award that makes all the headlines across the internet, it's the award that publishers emphasize and advertise most heavily, and it's the show that garners exponentially more views than any other gaming related show.

The terminology they use doesn't matter. It's the one award that really holds weight in the industry.

Last edited:

Madflavor

You're just getting hung up on semantics. The Game Awards' GOTY award is the most prestigious and recognized award in the industry, just as how the Best Picture winner at the Oscars is the most prestigious and recognized award in film. Established/respected teams of professionals from across the industry all vote on The Game Awards winner, it's the award that makes all the headlines across the internet, it's the award that publishers emphasize and advertise most heavily, and it's the show that garners exponentially more views than any other gaming related show.

The terminology they use doesn't matter. It's the one award that really holds weight in the industry.

Personally I think it does. Using film as an example, there's no 600 Best Picture awards every year. In the Emmy's there's no 600 Outstanding Drama Series. I think if TGAs came up with their own title, it would further set it apart from the dumptruck of GotY awards every year, because at this point the term Game of the Year just feels like empty calories.

When a filmmaker says "My film won Best Picture" that means something. When a game studio says "Our game won Game of the Year", well from who and how many?

Banjo64

cumsessed

I was severely under levelled and just magic spamming until Melania. Think I was level 70 odd.

I then cliff jumped and got to like level 150 to beat her. (Was a glass cannon with no health increase prior to that).

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Nah, BAFTA is. Older and much more prestigious than the typical advertisers show.
BAFTA literally requires diversity rules for entry, it’s no wonder Returnal won…

It’s also entirely irrelevant as an institution and nobody watched it but that doesn’t matter.

kyliethicc

Nope. DICE is the Oscars of game awards.

Geoff's are given by the media.
DICE are the academy awards.

Top Bottom