• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring Impressions: Exploring The Open World, Dungeons, and More (Game Informer)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Legacy Dungeons sound awesome. The idea of putting enemies to sleep reminds me of the Phantom Pain where you could silence enemies from afar and just run to a small area inside the base. It’s exciting to hear how large the map is.

IGN impressions.

This was the video I watched. A pretty good description of their impressions. 👍

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I'm only a bit into this video and I'm really really liking what I hear so far: the fast travelling, the treasure chests being pulled by the big guys and the way the steed works all sounds right up my alley.

Maybe people will hate this comparison but to me this seems like they've BotW-ised Souls and I'm like 100 times more hyped now. Not because I didnt think it looked like an amazing game before but because the previous FROM games haven't really gelled with me but this all sounds great.

I do wonder how saving will work (they prob say in this video I'm being too impatient lol), since BotW was saved every time a cricket farted.

SoraNoKuni

Can't watch rn, I don't know if I even want to know anything more about this game.
It's FS, it's going to be great.

FunkMiller

Maybe people will hate this comparison but to me this seems like they've BotW-ised Souls and I'm like 100 times more hyped now. Not because I didnt think it looked like an amazing game before but because the previous FROM games haven't really gelled with me but this all sounds great.

I do wonder how saving will work (they prob say in this video I'm being too impatient lol), since BotW was saved every time a cricket farted.

I‘m a HUGE souls mark, and I love the idea that elements like BotW will present.

Saving will be at graces only, I’d imagine. This is From we’re talking about.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I‘m a HUGE souls mark, and I love the idea that elements like BotW will present.

Saving will be at graces only, I’d imagine. This is From we’re talking about.

Sweet, vis a vis saving I am meaning I wonder if you can just go and find a "grace" and save when you want to without having to fight through a bunch of respawned guys, I would presume since its open world but maybe they will always be surrounded by enemies to stop people (like me) from being able to save constantly if you want and have basically no downside to failing. Even if its not really "scumming" since you can't just quicksave and enemies come back too.

I suppose you would still have the traditional downside to dying anyway to counter that, anyway, sounds great.

FunkMiller

Sweet, vis a vis saving I am meaning I wonder if you can just go and find a "grace" and save when you want to without having to fight through a bunch of respawned guys, I would presume since its open world but maybe they will always be surrounded by enemies to stop people (like me) from being able to save constantly if you want and have basically no downside to failing. Even if its not really "scumming" since you can't just quicksave and enemies come back too.

I suppose you would still have the traditional downside to dying anyway to counter that, anyway, sounds great.

I'd imagine that's how they'll play it, yeah. But From are such experts (most of the time) at placing save points in strategic places, that I doubt there will be many free or easy saves to be had, especially not in the legacy dungeons. With the open world bosses it'll probably make it easier, but harder in the dungeons, if there's less of them to be had, like Vaati said.

Kuranghi

I'd imagine that's how they'll play it, yeah. But From are such experts (most of the time) at placing save points in strategic places, that I doubt there will be many free or easy saves to be had, especially not in the legacy dungeons. With the open world bosses it'll probably make it easier, but harder in the dungeons, if there's less of them to be had, like Vaati said.

Och ofc, I'm forgetting there will be (presumably) more linear dungeons to have that tenser experience from their previous games.

tommib

Big From fan but the game is sounding a bit bloated. I’m a little bit afraid that the tightly constructed experience from before will be diluted by the open world and endless systems that the previews are talking about. It’s also a bit too Lord of the Rings for my taste. I prefer the medieval horror fantasy of Demon’s Souls (2009).

Having said all this, I also had my reservations with Sekiro and that turned out to be an all time great.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It’s cool to have all this info, but also annoying as a mf that it’s all having to be reinterpreted by the press through YouTube videos.

Bartski

Gold Member
yeah that would be the first time FROM hasn't publicly premiered gameplay for their upcoming title to the public on GamesCom since DS1. The show isn't over yet

YukiOnna

Nice to read it takes cues from Sekiro regarding stealth and approach to combat. I really want to see a gameplay demo though and don't understand why it's closed doors.

"Or, you can use your steed to double-jump across rocky ravines that would otherwise take hours to get across. Of course, you can also use it in combat and in certain battles - as we soon found when our demo began."

I love when games aren't afraid to be videogames. Good.

Skifi28

Odd marketing, let's have people share impressions without showing you the actual footage during a large videogame conference.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Reminds me of cyberpunk close doors presentation back at e3...
Bloodborne had footage shown behind curtains IIRC.
Odd marketing, let's have people share impressions without showing you the actual footage during a large videogame conference.

Yeah, call me jealous or over reacting, but it feels like the press were just blessed by From Software. They got to ask questions too. While I appreciate the work these people do at times. It sparks nothing but “rubbing it in your face” type of interpretation. Reviews will be a “burn through it once and slap some random number on it” before we get our hands on it. I hear things from these videos that share similar experiences that I have had for myself in previous From Software entries. Having them do it for me now is a bit disappointing. They all have the same trailer wheel with audio gloating about what they saw.

Moonjt9

I'm only a bit into this video and I'm really really liking what I hear so far: the fast travelling, the treasure chests being pulled by the big guys and the way the steed works all sounds right up my alley.

BotW continues to be a huge influence. I am with you, that was my first thought when watching some of the videos. Souls leaning really hard into Zelda influence here, and that has me really excited. This could be a truly special experience. Can’t wait!

Kuranghi

BotW continues to be a huge influence. I am with you, that was my first thought when watching some of the videos. Souls leaning really hard into Zelda influence here, and that has me really excited. This could be a truly special experience. Can’t wait!

That aspect of the giant treasure chest roaming around sounds is extremely exciting to me. Its also got sort of a Phantom Pain touch to it as well with the "tranqing" enemies and then go in and kill them.

skneogaf

Vxc1oUz.jpg

So this is the latest update for Elden Ring, the game is out in a little over 3 months yet I'm yet to hear of news like what frame rate is it on consoles or will there be a collectors edition, or anything like actual gameplay trailer.

The usual from software fanatics like myself will obviously buy this but they need to start ramping up the information to try to get new players or even to show the fans something soon.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Vxc1oUz.jpg

So this is the latest update for Elden Ring, the game is out in a little over 3 months yet I'm yet to hear of news like what frame rate is it on consoles or will there be a collectors edition, or anything like actual gameplay trailer.

The usual from software fanatics like myself will obviously buy this but they need to start ramping up the information to try to get new players or even to show the fans something soon.
I’d love to see some purchasing options on the store fronts. Stranger of Paradise has deluxe edition and it’s out in March.

Ogbert

I don’t really see the BoTW comparisons.

It actually sounds a bit like Destiny 2, with lost sectors and dungeons littered around.

Anyway. Can not fucking wait.

I'm excited, but from a technical perspective, it looks like such a downgrade from Demon's Souls.

From should design their games and have a studio like Bluepoint (or someone else, since they're first-party now), implement their design.

Regardless, day one.

Top Bottom