• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring has sold 12 million units

Mr Hyde

Common sentiment on GAF is that Sony should buy FS. Why? I don’t know. FS, with all due respect, would lose a lot of their identity if they lose Miyazaki. Just like Smash wouldn’t be Smash without Sakurai. I’m not sure it’s worth anyone buying a studio where all of the execution is pretty much dependant on one man. We saw what happened with Dark Souls 2, which despite being a solid game, is pretty much seen as the black sheep of the family by most fans.

To be fair, Yui Tanimura has become a solid wingman for Miyazaki. He did a great job saving DS2 with Scholar of the First Sin, creating the DLCs, and then co-direct Dark Souls 3 and Elden Ring with Miyazaki. Sekiro also had a co-director alongside Miyazaki, so From is definitely training up future people to take over the reigns when Miyazaki no longer wants or are able to direct. I'm not denying that Miyazaki is the mastermind behind From Softwares success, but he is not alone in creating these games. It's just since the DS2 drama he gets top billing in anything the company puts out, or lest the fanboys will cry foul and scream B-team just as they did with DS2.

ZoukGalaxy

WOW I'm impressed.
lion king wtf GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

rubenburgt

The last souls game I played was dark souls 2 and I only played that one for like an hour.

Is this game really that good?
Would you recommend it to a newbie?

Bakkus

You are overthinking it. Performance issues are overblown and dlc will be a good reason to replay the game!
Believe me, if dlc was available today, it would be too much game
From games has this silly idea to have DLC only cryptically accessible late through the single player. I'd like to do both at the same time.

rofif

Banned
From games has this silly idea to have DLC only cryptically accessible late through the single player. I'd like to do both at the same time.
Because their dlc is extension of the game after it’s ending more less. So you must be leveled

Last edited:

Klayzer

No, but this game looks almost exactly like BotW. It has the same opening shot of the open world etc. And then there's the glider and a bunch of other stuff that's so obviously ripped right out of BotW even if that game didn't invent those things either.
Each his own i suppose. I prefer inspired by, rather than ripped off. Every succesful game has elements used by other devs. Even Nintendo.

Majukun

The last souls game I played was dark souls 2 and I only played that one for like an hour.

it's at the same time the best game for a newbie and the worst.
the worst because the bosses are meaner than ever, with tricky animations, unfair setups and they generally kill in one or two hits..three if you are built to last.
it's the bestt because due to the open world if you find something you can't kill you can always go away, do something else and come back later with more levels, better equip and waste the guy.

You are overthinking it. Performance issues are overblown and dlc will be a good reason to replay the game!
Believe me, if dlc was available today, it would be too much game
performance issues are definitely NOT overblown
went close to drop the game because of those and i only stuck because the game is good, but stuttering and micro freezes make it more frustrating than it should.

Last edited:

Bakkus

Because their dlc is extension of the game after it’s ending more less. So you must be leveled
So, let people decide not to automatically start over through a NG+ after defeating the final boss and instead drop off the last checkpoint.

Bakkus

It's exactly like that in ds2, ds3 and this
It is? I've only played DS1 and Blood.How anyone would find the DLC in DS1 without any help is out of my idea. And in Bloodborne you have to let one of those Cthulhu monsters grab you to transport you back in time to the DLC...

rofif

Banned
It is? I've only played DS1 and Blood.How anyone would find the DLC in DS1 without any help is out of my idea. And in Bloodborne you have to let one of those Cthulhu monsters grab you to transport you back in time to the DLC...
for sure. ds2 and 3 asks if you want to start ng+ or not. Same with ER.
DS1 has some cryptic ass puzzles. I have NO IDEA how anyone completed that game at all. How is anyone supposed to knowto equip this ring from wolf in the woods and drop dead down the tower into blacknesss... and the dlc? no chance

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Each his own i suppose. I prefer inspired by, rather than ripped off. Every succesful game has elements used by other devs. Even Nintendo.

There's no way anyone who has played both games for any period of time could think Genshin is just "inspired" by BotW. I was shocked when I tried it how much of it is a straight rip-off.

Guilty_AI

There's no way anyone who has played both games for any period of time could think Genshin is just "inspired" by BotW. I was shocked when I tried it how much of it is a straight rip-off.
Eh, they're still pretty different from each other. I'd say Genshin is as much BotW as Elden Ring is.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Eh, they're still pretty different from each other. I'd say Genshin is as much BotW as Elden Ring is.

Elden Ring feels similar in terms of world design, how there's always things to see that make you want to go there. But that's about it. Genshin rips of visuals, mechanics, so much stuff.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I hope the success of ER has developers thinking about making their games more challenging. I wish Nintendo starts to put out more difficult games like they used to. Games nowadays seem to offer the bare minimum of a challenge and it sort of turns me off. Looking back this gen and I realize some of the best games were the challenging ones. Hollow knight, Ori, hades, enter the gungeon, spelunky,cuphead etc.

Last edited:

bbeach123

If you going blind it would be a nightmare .

If you google and watch youtube how to build a semi-OP/OP characters it would be ok I guess .

This is one of the Cons of Elden ring , no freaking way someone new going blind will have a "great" time with this game .
But after finding good weapon and summon the game will became easier.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Elden Ring feels similar in terms of world design, how there's always things to see that make you want to go there. But that's about it. Genshin rips of visuals, mechanics, so much stuff.
Mechanics are nowhere close, not only it uses typical RPG level and crafting systems, each character also has unique playstyles. No survival mechanics either, game plays like a normal ARPG. Graphics are also a moot point because the anime style is fairly common.

Klayzer

Mechanics are nowhere close, not only it uses typical RPG level and crafting systems, each character also has unique playstyles. No survival mechanics either, game plays like a normal ARPG. Graphics are also a moot point because the anime style is fairly common.
Absolutely no credit for Genshin being its own game will be given by BOTW fans. They will come around once it releases on the Switch though.

Klayzer

Absolutely no credit for Genshin being its own game will be given by BOTW fans. They will come around once it releases on the Switch though.
Hey man. I was agreeing with you, lol. Please no empathy for me.

Replied to myself. That's enough internet's for me today. Out

Last edited:

Holammer

Yes, a friend of mine that's *completely* new to the souls series [and a bit of a casual tbh] surprisingly bought it and enjoys it a lot. He saw some discussion on the Game UX drama and got curious.
I never evangelized or tried to sell it at all. So I'm personally gobsmacked.

You have to get in there and accept that you're going to die a lot. Makes the later git gud moments really rewarding.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Good to see the single player experience isn't dead.

Great numbers. It means we're absolutely certain to see a sequel as well!

V4skunk

Banned
From the little data we have (basic Europe lacking some physical sales) consoles had more sales than Steam. The ratio is probably around 60% consoles 40% PC if we include the missing physical data.

The think is the Steam didn’t have that crazy sales people are predicting… SteamSpy heavy overestimated it.

Maybe that is good to show how SteamSpy become unreliable after Valve closed the door to the owner data.
lol Elden Ring has been the most played game since it launched on steam. Last weekend it had a million players online.

GooseMan69

Haven’t played it yet because I’ve been too busy with Forbidden West and GT 7, but that’s really cool to see. Will definitely play it later in the year.

Nickolaidas

Banned
If you going blind it would be a nightmare .

If you google and watch youtube how to build a semi-OP/OP characters it would be ok I guess .

This is one of the Cons of Elden ring , no freaking way someone new going blind will have a "great" time with this game .
But after finding good weapon and summon the game will became easier.
I went blind in Elden Ring, going to the wiki two times - to see how I summon monsters and to see how I farm smithing stones.

Also, I found out I had the glitch where the ghost lady npc never spawned at Eleh church.

RyRy93

Interesting comments from BAMCO in the Press Release unless it's standard for them:
Please look forward to more of “ELDEN RING” as an IP (characters and other intellectual property) in hopes of expanding beyond the realm of games

Much effort was placed into creating “ELDEN RING” so that we could exceed the expectations of our fans worldwide. In like manner, we will continue our efforts in expanding the brand beyond the game itself, and into everyone’s daily life
Can't wait to take my spectral steed to work

Zathalus

Based on how Dark Souls 3 sold and how popular this game is on Steam, I'd say 40-50% of sales were on PC with consoles taking the rest.

RafterXL

In fairness 2M on XB1 S/X + XS S/X whereas Demons Souls sold 1.4M on the small PS5 install base being PS5 only. It was a launch game so it had no install base at the height of its marketing/hype. It's sold more now and hopefully sells even more after ER.
We're also talking 2 weeks vs a year. There is nothing about the sales of ER on Xbox that says "barely sold".

And we don't know what DS has sold since because they haven't released anything since the 1.4 million number. Sure it will go up, it deserves to go up, but so will ER.

If Sony buys them, they buy them, I don't care I have a PS5. The idea that they might as well go exclusive because they don't sell well on Xbox is just idiotic, though. Also, after basically getting shit on by Sony brass in the beginning I'm not positive they'd even want to be bought by Sony. Not to mention Bandi Namco would probably have something to say about it considering they are the ones that own these IPs, not From.

ethomaz

Banned
lol Elden Ring has been the most played game since it launched on steam. Last weekend it had a million players online.
A million players online just says at least a million players brought the game.

PC will be around 5 million of the sales unless US is very sided to PC but NPD seems to show it sold more on consoles too.

So from these 12 millions less than 50% are PC.
If you take the actual data around the world probably closer to 40% than 50%.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Lol your colors are showing.
Vomit and saliva are not colors. :)
dwarf two Sony exclusives in two and a half weeks.
I don’t think you know what dwarf or exclusive means.
Also, after basically getting shit on by Sony brass in the beginning I'm not positive they'd even want to be bought by Sony.
they made 2 exclusives for them since though.
Not to mention Bandi Namco would probably have something to say about it considering they are the ones that own these IPs, not From.
do they? I know From owns Sekiro and Sony DeS and Bloodborne.

ethomaz

Banned
Bandi Namco would probably have something to say about it considering they are the ones that own these IPs, not From.
Banco doesn’t own anything… they are just the publishers.

All IPs with exception of Demon’s Souls and Bloodborne are owned by From Software.

Alphagear

Banco doesn’t own anything… they are just the publishers.

All IPs with exception of Demon’s Souls and Bloodborne are owned by From Software.

Not sure about Elden Ring but Dark Souls is owned by Bandai Namco.

Sekiro is owned by FROM.

Maybe you're right and probably the reason why FROM prefer Bandai Namco over Sony of late cause they can own the IPs.

ethomaz

Banned
Not sure about Elden Ring but Dark Souls is owned by Bandai Namco.

Sekiro is owned by FROM.

Maybe you're right and probably the reason why FROM prefer Bandai Namco over Sony of late cause they can own the IPs.
Seems like it is the case with a interview in middle 2021… I always thought it was From property.

Anyway Sekiro is From IP.

Top Bottom