• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring has sold 12 million units

SkylineRKR

I expected 20 million lifetime last week, but it seems it will do 20 million by next month if this continues.

Sony made a mistake with Horizon. They had an empty Q4. Apparently the game really wasn't ready by Nov or Dec? It wouldn't have been hurt by ER, nor by its own GT7. Even though they're different, you can spend once. I didn't buy HFW but those other 2.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Or like I discussed earlier, there is a reason for this madness. 2 AAA exclusives with Elden ring sandwiched on the middle, plus Sony advertising the Elden Ring could mean something.
Sony had the chance before. Tencent will act fast now, considering Sony hasnt closed the bungie deal yet. Still I would like Sony to buy them, before tencent.

Zeroing

Banned
Sony had the chance before. Tencent will act fast now, considering Sony hasnt closed the bungie deal yet. Still I would like Sony to buy them, before tencent.
This is pure speculation but, I think Sony was testing if the deal is "worth" but then again Bandai has deals with From and the Elden ring IP... who knows??

Swift_Star

Banned
Everyone has their price lol Because they are both Japanese companies, I can see it happening more likely then other deals at the moment and Sony has a history of buying such teams that they've worked with closely in the past. It might explain why they'd market a game they don't even have a current deal with.

Because they need to answer to some of those lost RPG IPs that MS has taken, its very likely. I'd say before if they didn't do anything, its likely cause Demon Souls only sold about 2 million, Bloodborne about the same, Sekrio 5 million or so, so from their standpoint, its not a massive Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Witcher type team.

Annnnnnnd now all that has changed. So what ever had them on pause to do much with that company might have greatly changed with this game doing such units. Also imho, with liking Souls titles, its hard to own that system considering you'd always have a bunch missing based on the IP that Sony own of those concepts (maybe that was the point and Sony wanted that install base always buying PS or something).

If they treat it like that Bungie deal, maybe they don't make it exclusive at all. These are some wild fucking times right now lol We don't know who is going to buy who, massive buy out one even crazier then the next, then buyouts were they are like "we funa keep dem games on many platforms" lol so its hard to really say what will happen as I'm just not sure anymore. I just can't say 100%, Sony buys them and they are ONLY on PS or even MS does and they are only on XB, its so uncertain, that anything really can happen right now, but on the safe side, I'd lean towards owning a PS to get the most of those games tbh.

Demon Souls remake and Bloodborne are must!

@RafterXL agreed. Was just about to say that. 2 million with this game....simply isn't bad. That is literally what Demon Souls sold on PS5. Any other game we might say thats bad, but I don't see 2 million bad on XB regarding this title even remotely.

Also agree that this game would have done theses numbers faster if it was deeper into the generation like we saw with Fallout 4. We can't even say its cause people have nothing to play, this game was literally coming out along side lots of other games.
Do they? Because souls fans barely play the game on Xbox anyway.

kingfey

Banned
This is pure speculation but, I think Sony was testing if the deal is "worth" but then again Bandai has deals with From and the Elden ring IP... who knows??
They really need to act fast. MS had every opportunity to buy BioShock IP, Bioware, and CDPR. Yet all those slipped past them. Sony will waste these golden opportunity, if they dont act super fast.

Remember, Activision deal is almost close to final with this year.

Nautilus

Banned
Hopefully this news stop (even if a little bit) the people that keep crying that these games are too hard and need to have multiple difficulties so more people are able to play it.

Zeroing

Banned
They really need to act fast. MS had every opportunity to buy BioShock IP, Bioware, and CDPR. Yet all those slipped past them. Sony will waste these golden opportunity, if they dont act super fast.

Remember, Activision deal is almost close to final with this year.
IF the deal passes MS cannot do big purchases for a while correct?. Also I think MS will be busy trying to understand how managing so many studios and new projects works.
Now Sony on the other hand used for too long Playstation as their fuel to their other business/divisions, it is time they bet on Playstation again. I still think Sony is more interested in what studios can add to PS rather than getting big IPs.

kingfey

Banned
IF the deal passes MS cannot do big purchases for a while correct?. Also I think MS will be busy trying to understand how managing so many studios and new projects works.
Now Sony on the other hand used for too long Playstation as their fuel to their other business/divisions, it is time they bet on Playstation again. I still think Sony is more interested in what studios can add to PS rather than getting big IPs.
They can. Its just that they cant buy anything right now, because it will complicate the deal.

Right now, MS, Sony will want to stock as fast as they can. Because any delay means, other big boys will buy them. Its like black Friday.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Some games lose spot light to other games. Then the price is another issue. Putting 2 AAA games next to each other bat Insane. Unless it's holiday, you are risking less sales.

Sony isn't learning HZD mistakes.

this is what I find crazy, when I actually think about it. Elden ring is absolutely huge and full of content and is groundbreaking amazing and I got it for 40 pounds on PS4 day one edition, 30 pounds on pc and 20 for Xbox using a vpn. I really hope Sony back tracks on their 70 pound pricing. If they don’t I’ll just play their games 6 to 12 months later, there’s too many games anyway.

Zeroing

Banned
They can. Its just that they cant buy anything right now, because it will complicate the deal.

Right now, MS, Sony will want to stock as fast as they can. Because any delay means, other big boys will buy them. Its like black Friday.
MS is still in the middle of the purchase of the company who made Siri for Apple while they did Bethesda and Activision... I have no clue how those things work.
Quite frankly between Ubisoft saying they want to be purchase if they still remain independent, Square Enix lust for quick cash and so on... yeah it does seem it is black Friday.

ethomaz

Banned
Thanks; so that would make it 44% PC/40% PS/16% Xbox (don't know how I messed that up xD).

So let's try something like this:

44% PC/40% PS/16% Xbox (Europe)
30% PC/55% PS/15% Xbox (Japan)
45% PC/30% PS/25% Xbox (US)
60% PC/30% PS/10% Xbox (China)
45% PC/45% PS/10% Xbox (ROTW)
--------------------------
44.8% PC (5.376 million)/40% PS (4.8 million)/15.2% Xbox (1.824 million) (Global)
Europe ratio is missing physical sales in several countries so PC is lower than 44%.

kingfey

Banned
MS is still in the middle of the purchase of the company who made Siri for Apple while they did Bethesda and Activision... I have no clue how those things work.
I think its each section. You cant purchase a gaming company, if you are in the middle of the purchase, same for other department.

Quite frankly between Ubisoft saying they want to be purchase if they still remain independent, Square Enix lust for quick cash and so on... yeah it does seem it is black Friday.
This is the case. Most Publishers cant sustain themselves now due, to pandemics and wars. So they want to cash out fast. Bungie refused MS buy out first, then went for Sony later, after they had funding problems.

Lognor

Banned
Anecdotal, but everyone I know in Japan bought it on steam.
Really? Wow, I had no idea that PC gaming was big in Japan. I know in Korea and other areas of Asia it is, but never really heard that about Japan. Cool to hear!

Zeroing

Banned
I think its each section. You cant purchase a gaming company, if you are in the middle of the purchase, same for other department.

This is the case. Most Publishers cant sustain themselves now due, to pandemics and wars. So they want to cash out fast. Bungie refused MS buy out first, then went for Sony later, after they had funding problems.
Here's my train of though, if Sony even had to close studios and took some time to expand their studios, why would they buy studios who are a mess? MS did it... god knows how that will pan out in the future. I rather have the careful approach, buy smaller studios, manage them well and expand them.

Amazon brought some, does not had a clue what to do with them, Tencent sucks the life force of anything it touches, MS has the curse of destroying everything it buys... All I see is the industry collapsing itself because of corporations who have no clue how to keep studios sustainable or with corporations who do not have any knowledge in gaming.

Dolodolo

Neogaf doesn’t have a good track record of being good at predicting things.

what I find it odd is Sony releasing 2 exclusives so close to each other and advertising elden ring! That is what I find interesting…
What else are you interested in?
New Horizon and Gran Turismo 7 are the games that will be in the top all year as PS5 stocks replenish

Needlecrash

COT FUCKING DAMN. The game hasn't even been out for a month! LEGEND.

Now fix these damn frame rate drops and give us VRR on console and PC already!

Swift_Star

Banned
Neogaf doesn’t have a good track record of being good at predicting things.

what I find it odd is Sony releasing 2 exclusives so close to each other and advertising elden ring! That is what I find interesting…
It’s not that hard to understand. They get all that sweet revenue and expand their userbase. Why shouldn’t they do it? Sony doesn’t see third party as competition.

kingfey

Banned
Here's my train of though, if Sony even had to close studios and took some time to expand their studios, why would they buy studios who are a mess? MS did it... god knows how that will pan out in the future. I rather have the careful approach, buy smaller studios, manage them well and expand them.
You can fix studios later, But you cant build out a big brand of IPs. That is what MS want. They have enough money to fix their studios. But they dont have the time to make these popular ips.
For Sony, they have alot of support from the industry, and are in good position. So they dont need big Ips, when they can basically pay for exclusive deals, and have the backing of the japanese publishers. So small studios makes sense for them.

Amazon brought some, does not had a clue what to do with them, Tencent sucks the life force of anything it touches, MS has the curse of destroying everything it buys... All I see is the industry collapsing itself because of corporations who have no clue how to keep studios sustainable or with corporations who do not have any knowledge in gaming.
Amazon is a long term company. They are setting up for the future. They will fail alot now, but they still have time and money at their disposal, unlike Sony and Nintendo.
Tencent want quick money making games, in order to expand their investment. Loot at their recent strategy. Its always games that have mtx, which can generate set amount of money. Use that money to buy another studios like the ones they have. Soon, these studios will generate alot of money in the future for them.
MS used to be ruthless before. But now they have simple plan. Subscription service, for guaranteed income. That is their new model. Everything they do will go towards that model.

Industry isnt collapsing because of the corporation only. Its getting bigger than before. Gaming before was small. Then it grow to a profitable stage. The technology is more advanced now, and it costs alot to make games. You have alot of gamers in the world. Without enough money, or influence, you cant keep up with the current industry.
More gamers, more demand for games, more money you have to spend to keep up with that demand. Unless you have alot of money, you wont be able to satisfy that demand. Corporation is just tiny puzzle to this.

Dolodolo

Some games lose spot light to other games. Then the price is another issue. Putting 2 AAA games next to each other bat Insane. Unless it's holiday, you are risking less sales.

Sony isn't learning HZD mistakes.

God. How Sony will suffer when both of their games sell and stay in the top 20 for a year. Guys don't learn from mistakes by making a new IP for 20 million copies. Really :)

Zeroing

Banned
What else are you interested in?
New Horizon and Gran Turismo 7 are the games that will be in the top all year as PS5 stocks replenish
It’s not that hard to understand. They get all that sweet revenue and expand their userbase. Why shouldn’t they do it? Sony doesn’t see third party as competition.
I agree on that but like I said before why did the official Sony twitter advertised Elden Ring when they barely even talk about first party games... Also that PS blog post about elden ring with Sony devs I still find it odd from a marketing perspective.

Portugeezer

lol @ steamspy, what a fraud site

asv1jl4.png
That range 🤣

luffie

You are overthinking it. Performance issues are overblown and dlc will be a good reason to replay the game!
Believe me, if dlc was available today, it would be too much game
Lol, this is so true. I would really love a dlc, but this game is so massive and replayable that I wouldn't want the dlc to drop so soon.

Let me breathe a bit.

kingfey

Banned
God. How Sony will suffer when both of their games sell and stay in the top 20 for a year. Guys don't learn from mistakes by making a new IP for 20 million copies. Really
I understand you want to take a jap at this, but selling 20m doesnt net you alot of profits in the long term, compared to selling 7m in the first year.

The game price now is $60-$70, that is alot better, than $20-$30 sales. 5m sales at $60-$70 can net you 10m-17m at $20-$30 price range.

So yes, game visibility makes you alot of money, compared to letting other games taking the limelight. That is losing money and potential customers who would have bought your game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The most amazing thing about this is that this is Froms 6th game in a 10 period. While other studios can barely put out 2 games during that time (Bethesda)

Fbh

Man...a new game from my favorite dev in my favorite hobby and here I am waiting for a regularly priced Ps5 to play it :messenger_loudly_crying:

Anyway congrats to FROM and from everything I hear this is really well deserved. Hopefully the rest of the industry takes note (they won't)

Zeroing

Banned
You can fix studios later, But you cant build out a big brand of IPs. That is what MS want. They have enough money to fix their studios. But they dont have the time to make these popular ips.
For Sony, they have alot of support from the industry, and are in good position. So they dont need big Ips, when they can basically pay for exclusive deals, and have the backing of the japanese publishers. So small studios makes sense for them.

Amazon is a long term company. They are setting up for the future. They will fail alot now, but they still have time and money at their disposal, unlike Sony and Nintendo.
Tencent want quick money making games, in order to expand their investment. Loot at their recent strategy. Its always games that have mtx, which can generate set amount of money. Use that money to buy another studios like the ones they have. Soon, these studios will generate alot of money in the future for them.
MS used to be ruthless before. But now they have simple plan. Subscription service, for guaranteed income. That is their new model. Everything they do will go towards that model.

Industry isnt collapsing because of the corporation only. Its getting bigger than before. Gaming before was small. Then it grow to a profitable stage. The technology is more advanced now, and it costs alot to make games. You have alot of gamers in the world. Without enough money, or influence, you cant keep up with the current industry.
More gamers, more demand for games, more money you have to spend to keep up with that demand. Unless you have alot of money, you wont be able to satisfy that demand. Corporation is just tiny puzzle to this.
I find it hard to believe that a corporation like MS will be willing to spend even more money on a already big expensive purchase and all of the sudden wants to give freedom to their studios and projects...and not expect quick results...the rest of the corporations will keep making MTX etc so I think the future does not seem that good.

I still view all this from the opposite direction. Big gaming companies lashing out ways for quick cash and everyone else wanting a big piece of that gaming pie. It is going to be messy.

kingfey

Banned
I find it hard to believe that a corporation like MS will be willing to spend even more money on a already big expensive purchase and all of the sudden wants to give freedom to their studios and projects...and not expect quick results...the rest of the corporations will keep making MTX etc so I think the future does not seem that good.
343i is still alive. Since Phil and Satya took over xbox/MS, the entire company changed in to 1 single model. Subscription service. In order to get steady projects, they had to give them creative freedom. If they didnt do that, 343i would have been axed after halo5.

For the mtx part, gamers have opened up to that model. If you see any f2p game, or mtx game, you will see people telling you what package to buy. And because gamers are adults with money, they will spend money nonstop. That wont go away, until gamers get the brain to think for themselves.

I still view all this from the opposite direction. Big gaming companies lashing out ways for quick cash and everyone else wanting a big piece of that gaming pie. It is going to be messy.
The model existed long time ago. This is just big money going brrr now. Big boys are now joining the game, and telling other industry, their money means nothing.

Swift_Star

Banned
I agree on that but like I said before why did the official Sony twitter advertised Elden Ring when they barely even talk about first party games... Also that PS blog post about elden ring with Sony devs I still find it odd from a marketing perspective.
Oh, if they buy FS, what follows will be fun to see.

Top Bottom