• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring Difficulty, Gameplay Details Revealed at TGS 2021

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wonder how brutal the final boss will be. At this point in time, Sekiro’s final boss is probably the hardest or the DoH. Sekiro made any final boss in Dark Souls a cake walk. Pre-speed run, pre-multiple attempts to memorize everything, or whatever. I wonder when we can preorder the game.

Last edited:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
It’s designed so you can feel a sense of accomplishment when succeeding in doing something or discovering something, and the high difficulty is one of the ways to achieve that.

That's all. Fucking marketing monkeys cowering in the corner babbling about sales can fuck off. Weeny casuals, crying for easy mode, they can fuck off too. Bring on the cat nine o tails.
BUT BUT... WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE JOURNALISTS!

MrS

Banned
It’s designed so you can feel a sense of accomplishment when succeeding in doing something or discovering something, and the high difficulty is one of the ways to achieve that.

That's all. Fucking marketing monkeys cowering in the corner babbling about sales can fuck off. Weeny casuals, crying for easy mode, they can fuck off too. Bring on the cat nine o tails.

3b28e957-1328-4b15-9d59-42249d09acd1_text.gif

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Assassins Creed is still a better open world game than BOTW.

What are you smoking? BotW is a living world that rewards exploration. Assassin's Creed is a filler mindless mess with checklists and no real exploration. Just go from icon to icon, with no real rhyme or reason. Nothing cool to find, nothing unique to utilize, no challenge. Fuck that shit.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Can't wait for the multiple bloggers complaining about there being no easy mode while hand wringing about accessibility and then a couple days later someone else putting out a video on Youtube beating the whole thing with a DDR pad.

skit_data

Beyond excited for this, it’s so exciting to read this stuff and they sound so confident in it launching in time.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I wonder how brutal the final boss will be. At this point in time, Sekiro’s final boss is probably the hardest or the DoH. Sekiro made any final boss in Dark Souls a cake walk. Pre-speed run, pre-multiple attempts to memorize everything, or whatever. I wonder when we can preorder the game.
I'm absolute shit at parrying and the final boss on sekiro was easier then let's say...gael or some human hunters (not even full bosses) in bloodborne...

I think everyone has different opinions about bosses in souls games.

iHaunter

It was a 10/10 in my book. Lots of other people felt the same way.
I don't want to derail the thread, but all I'm going to say is this. If I wanted ideas of how to design an open world game, (I beat BOTW and have 80 hours in it) I would 100% never reference this game on how to do it correctly.

Couldn't be more excited for this one.

I don't want to derail the thread, but all I'm going to say is this. If I wanted ideas of how to design an open world game, (I beat BOTW and have 80 hours in it) I would 100% never reference this game on how to do it correctly.
It had it's flaws, like the difficulty curve being fucked up and the korok seeds. But the world itself was fantastic, for example you could never go to a place without spotting along the way numerous points of interest, which is what makes those maps so fun to explore by yourself without needing a map, which is what predates most of the western open-world games.

Try to play The Witcher 3 without the compass and the map and you'll get my point.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I'm pretty excited for this game. Couldn't really get into Sekiro. Stopped playing at the boss at the top of the castle. Haven't had much motivation to go back. I prefer the combat pace of DS.

Last edited:

Kabelly

I 2nd this. Sekiro's fast paced gameplay wasn't my cup of tea at all. Hope Elden Ring is more classic Souls where the goal to success is to be patient and wait for the opening, not spam the attack and parry button.
yea mashing dodge roll in souls games is more complex

Mozzarella

Very hyped for this game, i want to see how they do the open world aspect.
I just dont get why Fromsoft went to the lifeless open world setting, why not add some towns and NPCs? the world is always dead in their games. One great town with good architecture and NPCs and internal conflicts with some culture in it will be pretty poggers.

The only Japanese open world game i liked was Breath of the Wild.
Dragon's Dogma was very mediocre for me, the only good part about it was the combat, everything else was mediocre or awful, the open world itself was one of the blandest looking ones with no good traversal or interesting worldbuilding. I tried that game for around 30 hours and quit it.
Metal Gear Solid 5 is another one i didnt like, the open world felt lifeless and boring too.
Death Stranding is decent, i liked how the world looked good environmentally but it was a chore to do many missions.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Yeah! People say that sekiro gameplay is spaming attack and parry/block and them dont know why they cant beat it 😅...

I love souls games, all of them, bloodborne is my n1 and sekiro comes in 2nd... they are all great.... sekiro is god tear ... and that gauntlet of mortal journey is the definitive "die hard souls fan stravaganza" i beat it once after mutch training and months after I am training to beat it again ... bloodborne and sekiro for me atr the most replayable souls games

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
meanwhile Guerrilla games out here thinking copying Ubisoft is how to do it lol
Is just them, Ghost of Tsushima also has the same open world design. I’m curious to know if do they really think it actually good design.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I just hope the final boss is memorable in the same way Sekiro and Bloodborne's are. I felt Miyazaki designed them much better in those two games compared to the Souls titles he worked on.

Also, hopefully the gameplay quality is on the same level as Sekiro or it'll be hard to go back.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Yeah.. and still we have inner father and inner isshin 😅😅😅 ... sekiro is so good 🤤🤤🤤

Aenima

Im glad they keeping the game challenging. Its what makes the progression in souls game rewarding and keeps u in the edge of ur sit while playing.
The game offer ways to make things easy without needing a easy mode in the main menu.

Danjin44

Let’s hope once this game comes we don’t get another thread about why there is no easy mode.......but we will, we always do........fuck!

Sinthor

Gold Member
Yeah, I think I'm going to end up taking at least a long weekend when this comes out. Just too much seems super cool about it. More "Dark Souls" but open world and even better? Yes please! We will see...

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It's not about complexity, it's about preference. In Sekiro you have to be extremely agressive in your combat, in Souls you can usually take your time, observe the enemy and wait for your opening.

Danjin44

It's not about complexity, it's about preference. In Sekiro you have to be extremely agressive in your combat, in Souls you can usually take your time, observe the enemy and wait for your opening.
Its one of my reason why Sekiro is one of my favourite FROM game, I consider the combat absolutely sublime.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Sekiro is definitely the opposite, but you don't have to be aggressive 100% from the get-go. If you want to wait it out and learn the moveset then by all means go ahead, but the time you generally are aggressive is when you know the timing to parry and moveset where it becomes instinct. 100% Parry Runs w/ only Deathblows exist after all.

I'm not asking for Elden Ring to be an exact copy of Sekiro since Sekiro in the first place is not a Souls game, its an action game and Miyazaki himself said he wanted to do something more akin to Tenchu/Otogi. But the overall fluidity of the combat is extremely good and I need that to carry over.

Danjin44

But the overall fluidity of the combat is extremely good and I need that to carry over.
Another thing I like to see carried over is little character development. As much as I highly enjoyed games like Bloodborne, I honestly couldn’t care about its characters other than their lore dump. Sekiro other hand was different, I genuinely care for characters like Kuro, Emma and Sculptor, even like the merchant and his quest line.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Most anticipated game by far, anything FROM does in the Souls genre they invented is going to be masterful, the last thing I want is for them to take inspiration from other games, BoTW or otherwise, let them do what they do best and do their own thing, they've earned our trust.

I've got the plats for Sekiro, BB and Demon's Souls remake, never went for any of the Souls plats because I found some of the requirements too tedious/grindy but I love ALL these games and consider each a masterpiece. Challenge and the triumph of overcoming it are in FROM's DNA, I know it won't be different here, just more flexible due to the open nature and some of the new game mechanics.

YukiOnna

Another thing I like to see carried over is little character development. As much as I highly enjoyed games like Bloodborne, I honestly couldn’t care about its characters other than their lore dump. Sekiro other hand was different, I genuinely care for characters like Kuro, Emma and Sculptor, even like the merchant and his quest line.
Yeah absolutely. The NPC's in Sekiro really felt like a good support cast. Emma, Isshin and Kuro changed overtime and that made the gravity of what happens in the final quarter more impactful. Emma in particular was a standout in Shura and Return route.

Kabelly

it depends on the boss really. Or enemy. There's definitely times in Souls that the enemies don't let you breathe either. You're just running. And dodging and dodging and dodging.

in Sekiro you can be very observant as well imo. To actually DEFEAT an enemy you have to be aggressive because whittling health down is slow as hell. Posture is always more important. The one thing I think people forgot about Sekiro though is you have unlimited stamina. You can easily just run laps around the enemies while they act like mad men.

What I love about Sekiro is HOW agressive the enemies are because they really do feel like threats and some enemies have good movesets to catch you if you're acting too cowardly.

Last edited:

Kabelly

I'm gonna love camping in this game in the night and some horrifying beast appears while you're just tryna craft some healing items.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Couldn't be more excited for this one.

It had it's flaws, like the difficulty curve being fucked up and the korok seeds. But the world itself was fantastic, for example you could never go to a place without spotting along the way numerous points of interest, which is what makes those maps so fun to explore by yourself without needing a map, which is what predates most of the western open-world games.

Try to play The Witcher 3 without the compass and the map and you'll get my point.
But most of the times there was nothing interesting to find in all of those points of interest...

And that game does the opposite of what from games are:

Shitty boss fights
Uninteresting stupid ass mobs (with shitty variety)
Super basic and easy combat with a single samey combo for every weapon
Unrewarding exploration (unless breakable weapons, korok seeds and armours with the same effects of food are exciting stuff for you)
Mediocre dungeons

There is literally nothing that i would copy from botw for elden rings.

But most of the times there was nothing interesting to find in all of those points of interest...

And that game does the opposite of what from games are:

Shitty boss fights
Uninteresting stupid ass mobs (with shitty variety)
Super basic and easy combat with a single samey combo for every weapon
Unrewarding exploration (unless breakable weapons, korok seeds and armours with the same effects of food are exciting stuff for you)
Mediocre dungeons

There is literally nothing that i would copy from botw for elden rings.
I was just talking about the map design as a landscape, nothing more. And yeah I agree with what you say about BOTW, but that wasn't the point.

Top Bottom