• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

eFootball Free to Play and Cross-Platform

Stuart360

I wonder what going F2P means for people like me that just play 'cpu vs cpu' leagues?.
Would i still be able to just do that on a F2P model as i wouldnt be paying money for anything.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I wonder what going F2P means for people like me that just play 'cpu vs cpu' leagues?.
Would i still be able to just do that on a F2P model as i wouldnt be paying money for anything.
This is the question, and the thing that worries a lot of people. I think at launch all they have promised is offline PvP or PvCPU single fixtures. We don't know if they will release a Master League style add-on or just simple local custom leagues and if they do will they be paid for?

Last edited:

TrebleShot

This is the question, and the thing that worries a lot of people. I think at launch all they have promised is offline PvP or PvCPU single fixtures. We don't know if they will release a Master League style add-on or just simple local custom leagues and if they do will they be paid for?
They confirmed on their Twitter that ML will be paid for DLC.

Which I suppose at least eliminates that issue people had with it.

However it doesn’t make up for the fact it looks like ass and is supposedly running on next-gen hardware yet looks and seemingly moves like the UE4 mobile version they’ve had out for years.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
They confirmed on their Twitter that ML will be paid for DLC.

Which I suppose at least eliminates that issue people had with it.

However it doesn’t make up for the fact it looks like ass and is supposedly running on next-gen hardware yet looks and seemingly moves like the UE4 mobile version they’ve had out for years.
Ah OK thanks for the info. I think that is fair enough, in a way over time it could be beneficial that I pay once for the ML and can play in perpetuity whilst still benefitting from updates to the core game over time (in theory)

Like you say though, still a lot for them to prove in terms of the transition to UE4 and both the gameplay and visuals.

Have they mentioned anything about being able to create custom teams and import kits, badges etc. ?

On the trailer, it shows you only get like 10 clubs at launch
Which is understandable, I think a lot of people endlessly play the fifa demos' as all they want is to play as a top team.

Last edited:

Life

free 2 play can work for sports games if done right, i'm interested to see how this turns out in the long run.

People don't realise this could be a good thing - some are too caught up in this cancel culture bullshit and can only be negative. Football games reached the peak 10 years ago probably - since then, the games have hardly advanced and you're still asked to pay a full price every year with each "new" game.

cormack12

Gold Member
I used to remember PES would launch and then I'd wait like a month for the roster updates. Now I get to buy PES and wait three months for the game. Sounds sweet.

Sleepwalker

They took a year off for this garbage??!!

Half Baked Boo GIF

TrebleShot

Ah OK thanks for the info. I think that is fair enough, in a way over time it could be beneficial that I pay once for the ML and can play in perpetuity whilst still benefitting from updates to the core game over time (in theory)

Like you say though, still a lot for them to prove in terms of the transition to UE4 and both the gameplay and visuals.

Have they mentioned anything about being able to create custom teams and import kits, badges etc. ?
Np mate.

Yeah option files have been mentioned, won’t be available at launch and will come later in an update apparently.

mad for what you say on ML that definitely won’t be a one off payment for ML we’ll be paying every year for the new season of ML most likely which will have kits, player updates etc for licensed clubs.

but then raises the question why would pay for that if you could get all the gameplay updates and just update kits and players with option files….

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Np mate.

Yeah option files have been mentioned, won’t be available at launch and will come later in an update apparently.

mad for what you say on ML that definitely won’t be a one off payment for ML we’ll be paying every year for the new season of ML most likely which will have kits, player updates etc for licensed clubs.

but then raises the question why would pay for that if you could get all the gameplay updates and just update kits and players with option files….
If they were clever they world do things like release stadiums as DLC, maybe they have things like 'be a pro' storyline driven content that are sold via DLC. As long as the core (option files, local leagues etc) all ends up in there, then I'm happy for them to monitize other peripheral things.

TrebleShot

If they were clever they world do things like release stadiums as DLC, maybe they have things like 'be a pro' storyline driven content that are sold via DLC. As long as the core (option files, local leagues etc) all ends up in there, then I'm happy for them to monitize other peripheral things.
Yeah I’m on yeh same page with that or if they make the edit mode more extensive and massively more in depth it would be epic.

only thing is from what they showed from games the visuals and physics look significantly behind PES2021 (physics will always be better than FIFA).

Roufianos

People don't realise this could be a good thing - some are too caught up in this cancel culture bullshit and can only be negative. Football games reached the peak 10 years ago probably - since then, the games have hardly advanced and you're still asked to pay a full price every year with each "new" game.
To think some people are pissed that Horizon is gonna be held back by PS4 and here you are being perfectly fine work a game being constrained by mobile. I applaud your optimism my friend.

KOMANI

KOMANI
update from the "leak"

Ok, just wanted to add a quick summary / update.

I’ll only be responding for a couple days max, I just wanted to get some important info out there to help undo the damage from our reveal. I hope I’ve managed to ease your minds a bit.

note - with any project, things can change. Although we’re not expecting any major changes to (our) road map between now and the end of the year, keep in mind some things can be moved forward or delayed

Here’s a summary of FAQ’s to stop questions and answers being lost in the thread.

1. ⁠The reveal trailer was designed to get people hyped about F2P, cross-gen cross platform and one on one mechanics. The team in charge thought this would be more important to users than showcasing visuals. I expect they know better now, there has been a deluge of feedback from the community and internally. I won’t be surprised to see a visual-heavy reveal next time
2. ⁠The next gen graphics are next gen, just not as good as the reveal trailer which was more of a “this is what we’re aspiring to” release, albeit poorly explained at the time. UE5 will help a lot with that, we’re UE4 at launch.
3. ⁠In the trailer, only the shots of the stadia were captured on next gen.
4. ⁠PC is not next gen at launch, that will change but we’ve not been told when
5. ⁠PC is still moddable.
6. ⁠No option file for Xbox - that’s a Microsoft issue.
7. ⁠We’ve not had a single build with commentary so can’t answer any Q’s about commentary.
8. ⁠The environmental sound is poor in the builds we’ve played, we’ve been assured this will be fixed for launch
9. ⁠Currently no 11v11 - it doesn’t mean it’s not in the game but we’ve not seen it.
10. ⁠Servers are dedicated and will be from launch
11. ⁠The server test a lot of you played was a server test, I know many don’t believe that it was, but it was. There was also some other tests happening too, you may have noticed a difference in visual fidelity between games, I can’t reveal why but it was important. The server test was a resounding success however, Konami were very happy with it.
12. ⁠The next reveal was and still is scheduled for around the 25th August. If you keep pressuring Konami’s and eFootballs social media’s you could get them to move this or at least get some more info/footage before then.

Please don’t go after Adam or any other employees individually, they don’t have the power to change the schedule.

Thanks. Have a lovely weekend

Life

To think some people are pissed that Horizon is gonna be held back by PS4 and here you are being perfectly fine work a game being constrained by mobile. I applaud your optimism my friend.

I'm not that bothered because it's a football game and technologically, they peaked a long time ago. It's not your typical AAA game where you have to model a dozen characters in high detail and make em look all shiny with personal touches. It would be a waste of time and effort considering the huge amount of players. With PES it's all about gameplay and AI. I don't think modern phones have heavy constraints on those two aspects.

We might actually get decent gameplay out of it (I enjoyed the old PES games more, so going "backwards" isn't necessarily awful). If not, we might get a growing fanbase that might encourage Konami to release a true next gen football game in the coming years. Not some pretentious annual garbage.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

End of the day, Konami have handed the title to EA, Konami effectively bringing in a half-baked entry, with barely any bells and whistles, and master league probably not arriving till Feb/March 2022...they didn't have a clue of which way they wanted the entry to go to....unless I see anything to warrant a change of mind otherwise, looks like it will be FIFA for the definitive football experience..

Life

If ML is fully featured and costs like 10 bucks or something its not bad. Its the only thing I played in PES basically as the netcode has always been trash.

What's the appeal behind ML? I recall my brother playing it for months in the older versions....but that was before netplay. It's still only vs COM right?

Raekwon26

The game is F2P...... but if you want to play ML offline... there is a charge.

You are going to be charged to play offline.

Wow.

SkylineRKR

What's the appeal behind ML? I recall my brother playing it for months in the older versions....but that was before netplay. It's still only vs COM right?
It was a fun offline mode with light managing etc. You start out with a bunch of fake ass losers and climb up the ranks and afford better players.

Dibils2k

You miss the point. I'm saying it could also run on android - the game isn't vastly superior in any way.
thats funny considering FIFA22 has a next gen version that cant even run on ps4/xb1... machine learning animations has the potential to be a game changer

it also might not but thats the kind of things you can try when working with new tech.. not just being contempt with mobile technology 😆 sad sight seeing console gamers defending this

Last edited:

Raekwon26

If it's a one time charge then it's no different than buying any game like you usually would. What is the problem with that?
Because it normally is included with the game at no extra charge.

Removing it and now asking for payment to play an OFFLINE mode is crazy.

What next? Start charging to play the 2nd half of games?

This needs to be proper f2p not like pay 5 dollars for a team kind of bullshit
Going crossplatform is fantastic but this f2p has got me all kind of worried
I can bet my ass they would do some absolute garbage lvl mtx stuff never seen before in history of videogames , have a really bad feeling about this
Messi for 3 dollars, Ronaldo for 4,
Champions league unlock for 10 dollar kind of kind of bullshit

Roufianos

update from the "leak"
Man I hope this is true but can you really see a publisher promoting a game with the worst looking version? I mean, you don't need to have a marketing degree to know that featuring the next-gen version would create more hype.

jonnyp

Because it normally is included with the game at no extra charge.

Removing it and now asking for payment to play an OFFLINE mode is crazy.

What next? Start charging to play the 2nd half of games?

The game doesn't cost anything for the base online game. The offline ML mode will cost you. Again, what is the issue?

Last edited:

Raekwon26

The game doesn't cost anything for the base online game The offline ML mode will cost you. Again, what is the issue?
The issue is that they are going to charge for an offline game mode that was included in previous editions for no extra cost.

They have locked an offline game mode behind a paywall. That's madness.

jonnyp

The issue is that they are going to charge for an offline game mode that was included in previous editions for no extra cost.

They have locked an offline game mode behind a paywall. That's madness.

What are you even talking about? The previous games were full price for the base game (online and offline), they were not F2P. The only difference is that you can download and play for free online now but have to pay for the ML mode.

According to your logic all games lock their offline modes behind a paywall if it costs any money to play.

Raekwon26

What are you even talking about? The previous games were full price for the base game (online and offline), they were not F2P. The only difference is that you can download and play for free online now but have to pay for the ML mode.

According to your logic all games lock their offline modes behind a paywall if it costs any money to play.
What are YOU talking about?

The games included offline and online modes and when you bought the game (whatever you paid) you were guaranteed that you were getting a complete package.

Want to play offline game modes? There they are from the jump, no extra cost.
Want to play online? Make sure you have Live, Plus or whatever and there they are right from the jump.

What kind of logic (if you can call it that) are you trying to use?

You can't claim the game is free to play if the fucking mode you want to play is locked behind a fucking paywall. Defeats the whole damn purpose.

Are you serious? Remove content that was avaliable in previous editions and lock it behind a paywall and then claim your game is free to play?

No the fuck it ain't.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The game is F2P...... but if you want to play ML offline... there is a charge.

You are going to be charged to play offline.

Wow.
How is that different from now buying the game? The multiplayer right now is free to play, it just doesn’t release first.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I'm not sure, but I'm getting the game anyway as it's free. I didn't buy a football game in a while.
As much as it disgusts me i'm actually eyeing Fifa for the first time, since, the Ps1 I think..

But have been hooked on Pes2021 since the Euros so hearing this news was a swift kick in the balls! I do enjoy Pes over Fifa, always have, well, since the Ps1! :p

A sad day indeed. It's actually been nice playing Pes without having to turn the console on it's side to read the disc..

KOMANI

KOMANI
Man I hope this is true but can you really see a publisher promoting a game with the worst looking version? I mean, you don't need to have a marketing degree to know that featuring the next-gen version would create more hype.
because it's Konami, I actually can. The same company that thought it was a great idea to release book of memories, SH HDC, and Downpour all around the same time.

Raekwon26

I am not defending it is a F2P game. You are correct. The game is released in 2 pieces and has a F2P mode.
I'm not saying you are defending it and I apologize if I came off like that.

I just find it ridiculous to claim your game is free to play when offline modes are locked behind a paywall.

Just be like COD and Warzone. That mode is free, the rest of the game isn't.

Top Bottom