• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE - Issue 372 Review Scores

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
tommib tommib - Not trying to do you out of a job man.

Reviews

Nintendo Switch Sports - 8
Rogue Legacy 2 - 7
Salt And Sacrifice - 7
Teardown - 8
Citizen Sleeper - 8
Dorfromantik - 7
The Stanley Parable - Ultra Deluxe - 8
Moss: Book II - 7
Trek to Yomi - 6
Tandis - 6
Kaiju Wars - 7
Eternal Threads - 7

BuriZKU.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Jesus, do they just not like video games? Some of those scores are wild.

. . . like Nintendo Sport is the best out of the crop this month? Really?
EDGE has always been like that for scores. A 6 from them doesn't mean it's trash, just a kinda good game.

I like it. Always found the common scoring values very dumb. A 7 from any other place would mean the game is trash.

Fbh

8/10 seems really high for Switch Sports.
It's essentially a $40 collection of 6 very basic minigames. Even the customization options are laughably bad

Edge uses the scale as it should be.
Most review sites basically use the 7-10 scale where 7 is average and anything under 7 is essentially trash.
In Edge a 6/10 is actually what it should be: Above average.

Of course it doesn't mean their reviews are any better or worse than others. But that's just the context in which you need to look at their scores

After loving Rogue Legacy, I have to admit I was let down with 2. It was just too grindy and too slow to level up stats.

If they had just doubled or tripled the gold, it would have had much better flow. But it took me way too many near identical runs to complete.

Plus, it lost most of the rogue-like feel, as you basically have a level select from the start and are instead just doing one stage at a time anyway, for the most part.

But, the game was still pretty good. 7/10 sounds about right.

I haven't played Salt and Sacrifice, but after reading reviews, I think I'll feel about the same.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Just as expected, after the issue where Elden Ring was reviewed and got a 10, EDGE's scores are suddenly highly questionable again :messenger_beaming:

kadab

Not really, EDGE just think they are giving Michelin stars to videogames.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
How does Switch Sports get such great praise? It's a bare-bones copy of Wii Sports without and Wii Sports Resort but has a fraction of the the games and progression. There are only 6 games and 3 are 'net' sports. Where is baseball, disc golf? And, there is no single-player progression or stats at all. At least it would be nice to have a list of high scores and a levelling system that could unlock stupid stuff. It is a total shitty cash grab.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Some users don't even understand how a score system works...
Just because a game got a 6 or a 7 doesn't mean it is a bad game.

Reread what I wrote. My comment is relative to the games on offer, of which Nintendo Fucking Sport is the cream of the crop.

. . .if it makes you feel better to believe I can't suss out a "vidya game score" then, by all means -

Edge uses the scale as it should be.
Most review sites basically use the 7-10 scale where 7 is average and anything under 7 is essentially trash.
In Edge a 6/10 is actually what it should be: Above average.

Of course it doesn't mean their reviews are any better or worse than others. But that's just the context in which you need to look at their scores

I know EDGE's reputation regarding their scoring criteria, but it still is wild that - as you point out - Sport is among the best of the best for this month. Just wild.

Last edited:

Daytonabot

Banned
How does Switch Sports get such great praise?
It has a Nintendo logo on the case. That's been worth a point on the 10-point scale for literally decades. The really unfortunate side effect of this is that third-party games on Nintendo hardware wind up taking a relative hit, which probably affects their sales, which may affect Nintendo's third-party support.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Been playing Teardown this week actually. It's a unique game, has raytracing (lighting, reflections, shadows) built in, and all destructible environments.

JimboJones

It has a Nintendo logo on the case. That's been worth a point on the 10-point scale for literally decades. The really unfortunate side effect of this is that third-party games on Nintendo hardware wind up taking a relative hit, which probably affects their sales, which may affect Nintendo's third-party support.
You think edge has that much influence on the sales of switch (or any systems) third party sales ?

Borowski_1

2022 and people still care about EDGE

everyone knows their bias towards Nintendo, R* and From Software

especially the first two

Thief1987

Nintendo and edge is a known sweet couple. Edge considered as a one of the most harshest critics, their scores 90% of the time are lower than the average consensus, but then nintendo is involved situation magically become reversed.

Last edited:
I don't understand threads like these. Why some magazine scores means so much to deserve a thread?
Also I'd say that a number without context is borderline pointless.

Xdrive05

EDGE has always been like that for scores. A 6 from them doesn't mean it's trash, just a kinda good game.

I like it. Always found the common scoring values very dumb. A 7 from any other place would mean the game is trash.

Yes! Exactly right, and it's been that way for at least a couple decades, right?

Even way back in the day, a 6 or 7 from Edge means a "pretty good game", while a 6 or 7 from Gamespot or IGN basically means "avoid at all costs". Something like that.

Edge is one of the only outlets where 6/10 actually means "above average". It's like the bigger outfits' scoring system is not 0-10, but actually 5-10.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I didn't think The Guardian was ever that good.

Eurogamer used to be good, but the quality fell off a cliff as soon as it got acquired by Reedpop.

Both publications are the gold standard for UK lefties who want a safe space to vent about all the things they hate about the UK.

Both publications are the gold standard for UK lefties who want a safe space to vent about all the things they hate about the UK.
The problem is that the more "mainstream" publications like The Guardian and Eurogamer also pay more. Which means that they're going to attract the "best" journalists.

Speaking of Eurogamer, they're looking to launch a paid work experience program for "ethnic minorities".

I don't really understand as to how "ethnic minorities" are being held back in the contemporary era. KSI is a really big (FIFA endorsing) Youtuber who also has a fairly successful rap career.

KSI alone is proof that an "ethnic minority" can be successful in today's gaming arena. In fact, he's been successful for a while.

If an "ethnic minority" really wanted to be a journalist today, all they'd need to do is open up a WordPress powered website, and write a blog post a week. It's what the whole "blogging" craze is predicated on. Besides... Nobody needs to know your ethnicity. They just need to know that you're a good writer. That you have a few good ideas. That you have the determination to go out there and grab a few scoops and interviews (which can all be conducted via email).

I mean... My username is Qwertz12345. I haven't mentioned that I'm female, black, and a lesbian.

Actually... I'm none of the above. But that's not the point... Because nobody on here needs to know. And I don't see as to why my gender, colour, or sexual orientation should ever get in the way of a good story.

Like... seriously... If a person wanted to be a journalist, then all they'd need to do is open up a WordPress powered website. That only costs about $50 (including hosting).

In principle, that's no different than KSI wanting to be a Youtuber. All he needed to do was buy a cheap $100 camcorder / phone, and upload videos that way.

I mean, all you need to do is search for "how to be a blogger" on Youtube, and you'll find a whole heap of bloggers who are "marginalised" but are also doing relatively ok within their niches.

tassletine

Not really, EDGE just think they are giving Michelin stars to videogames.
Someone has to !!!

At the very least they take their reviewing seriously and I can't think of a single other publication that does that.
Trying to work out what exactly an 8/10 -10/10 means in any other publication is a bigger headache. Edge's fart sniffing in a minor annoyance compared to the publications that just seem to flat out lie about scores.

Top Bottom