• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eating insects and changing American culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the easy way to go about this is to do something like cricket flour. I've never used it, but I saw a guy pitching it on Shark Tank and it sounded like a good idea to me.

cricket-flour.jpg

Looks very inoffensive, and is efficient protein.

This is the only reasonable way I would ever eat insects, in the form of protein powder.

ReAxion

Yeah, there not going to do that, at least at the major chains as people would assiocate it as the insect supermarket.

They don't have to put it in a literal supermarket. They can put it on Amazon. Start them out in foreign food stores. There's a channel for it, at least.

Vitten

I see no problem eating insects when properly prepared and presented.

Don't understand why people are grossing out or showing clips of people eating bugs alive. You don't put live shrimps or mussels in your mouth either so why would you do it with bugs ?

espher

I think the only way I could try it is if they were processed. I'm not going to crunch on insect than looks like insect -- I just can't bring myself to do it.

The idea of trying baked goods made with cricket flour appeals to me, but nearly every photo in this thread some fried/grilled insect-y delicacy is just a big bag of 'nope' to me.

cajunator

Banned
While seafood are the insects of the sea, they look way more appetizing than bugs! Cooked seafood turns tantalizingly reddish, and inside their shells you can see and feel actual meat that have been naturally seasoned with delish sea salt! Yummy!

Insects are what? Brackish hairy creepy crawly crunchies that turned to slimy guts and goo upon biting and probably tastes like earth and dead leaves. Yucks!

80% my ass.

some taste like earth and dead leaves and some dont.
Some have a nutty taste, like cracklins or bacon. Some of them I could eat a massive bowl full of them.

I think if we don't end up going for actually eating whole insects we'll have to consider protein powder produced from them. I love meat but so much resources being used up to produce it is unsustainable. In the future cows, pigs, chicken etc. will have to be an occasional treat for us maybe. And culturally we have to accept that change.

Eating insects for their meat would be a positive step in my opinion. The perfect scenario would be scientists creating a way to manufacture meat without killing an animal.

Do you mean something like Quorn which is mycoprotein derived from fungus or like this lab grown burger?

SURGEdude

The amount of bugs we eat is already huge. He is a link to the FDA guidelines on how much mold, feces, and bugs are allowed in various foods.

Here is macaroni and noodles for example:

Macaroni and Noodle Products
Insect filth
Average of 225 insect fragments or more per 225 grams in 6 or more subsamples

Rodent filth
Average of 4.5 rodent hairs or more per 225 grams in 6 or more subsamples

I wish I could, but I can't even eat shrimp with the heads on. The eyeballs freak me out, food shouldn't be staring right back at me. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom