• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eat bugs not meat, to save the planet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
leroidys said:
This article skirts around the real issue.

Eat children.

A high protein meal that also reduces the global population. It's a win win.
Saturn did it!

WarzM.jpg

Hopefully no one is grossed out by a painting.

Crakatak187 said:
I wouldn't mind trying Grasshoppers and tarantulas. Andrew from Bizarre foods said it taste like a cross between crab and lobster.

I guess for tarantulas that makes sense. I mean, a crab is just a damn huge spider anyway. Same ugliness but larger.

Why not eat insects? That talk really did a number on me. Sure, I'm kinda grossed out by the idea, but in terms of taste and so on, I doubt that it'd actually be a problem. I think it's more to do with cultural bias than anything. Obviously large parts of the world eat insects, and it's not just because they need it for nutrition, they're goddamn candies in half of Asia.

I haven't actually been able to get my hand on any, but when I start commuting to Gothenburg next week I think I'll buy a bag of chili maggots.

I mean, I love eating these guys:

Tiger%20shrimp%20close%20up2.jpg

And when they're uncooked, they don't look that far off from tour average grasshopper or whatever.

If some bug-protein producing company has the PR skills to actually pull it off as a meat-substitute (think Quorn), in processed form, they'd have one hell of a hit on their hands. Also, don't forget that the efficiency in terms of feed/meat is TEN times higher than traditional meat. TEN. From an ethical and environmental standpoint it's really fricking hard to argue against it.

jakncoke

Banned
I <3 Memes said:
We should force all of the PETA people to do this. That ought to shut em up.

Oh look i looked outside and seen a pig flying.. oh wait no i didn't. I don't think there is anything that will get them to stop whining

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
I am slowly losing interest in consuming the flesh of dead animals anyway.

Scientists are actually making great progress in the development of methane digesters, which will someday allow farmers to use the methane produced by their livestock to power their own farms. There are a few farms that already have them, and the hope is that someday it will be commonplace on livestock operations.

It's really cool stuff.

Sharp

Um, if it's just the cold-bloodedness that matters why do we need to eat insects? Can't we just eat, say, lobsters? Or crabs? I would be down with eating nothing but shellfish.

jakncoke

Banned
Sharp said:
Um, if it's just the cold-bloodedness that matters why do we need to eat insects? Can't we just eat, say, lobsters? Or crabs? I would be down with eating nothing but shellfish.

Haven't we fucked the shellfish population up enough and it's not even our main food

i know it's probably hypocritical that I would eat a burger but not a bugwich, but I don't care. If it came to this, I would just go vegetarian.

X26

Banned
I'll probably be around for a little over 50 more years, max, I'm not going to spend my short life eating bugs

where mah steak at!?

LakeEarth

If you can find a bug that can taste as good as a steak, I'm all for it. Humans have spent thousands of years eating animals and figuring out which ones are both great tasting and easy to breed/care for. Why mess with that now?

zoukka

LakeEarth said:
If you can find a bug that can taste as good as a steak, I'm all for it. Humans have spent thousands of years eating animals and figuring out which ones are both great tasting and easy to breed/care for. Why mess with that now?

Because it's fucked up, destroying nature and human health? Jeez...

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
spiderman123 said:
i've eaten insects before not that bad tbh. In Montreal Insectarium, the week I went, they had chilli worms and deep fried locusts. It was surprisingly good.

It'd take quite a few bags of milk to wash that taste out of a person's mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom