• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain - Steam Trailer

Bullet Club

Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain
-------------------------------------------------
Platform: PlayStation 4, PC
Publisher: D3
Developer: Yuke's

xyHvdLu.jpg

Save the world without hope.

Year 2040. An action TPS where you will become one of the EDF soldiers and fight against the invaders from outer space which ruined the world. In the world settings which differs from the original "EARTH DEFENSE FORCE" series, more than 50 missions in five difficulties await for your challenge.

EDFIR_gifani1.gif

●50+ Missions in Five Difficulties
The furious battle against the invader Aggressors is full of chaos. Includes 50+ severe missions, where you must fight against gigantic enemy creatures and huge invader weapons in 5 different difficulties.

●4 Mobile Soldiers and Weapons
You will become the legendary mobile soldier which controls 4 different PA Gears, several hundreds weapons, arms and items. Regain hope to human beings.

●Bring Personality to the Battlefield
Includes character creation mode. You can select your favorite gender, face, hair style, weight, voice and outfit. You can also change the personality of yourself.

●Enriched Off-Line and On-Line Mode
When playing the off-line mode, the split-screen will be supported. Also, when playing the on-line mode, you can co-op with other EDF members around the world.

Shifty

Well that's unexpected.

It's always nice to see more EDF on PC, but Iron Rain is one of the western-developed ones in a similar vein to Insect Armageddon. I think it misses the point a bit by prioritizing nice graphics over enormous hordes of enemies.

But hey, it's something if you've been through 4.1 and 5 and are still hungry for more earth-saving.

Its actually not too bad of a game. Some odd design quirks for sure, and yes the monster fighting is different (won't necessarily say objectively worse, just different), but the online coop is still a blast, and now supports 6 players.

Also it isn't western developed (its made by Yukes), but yeah was designed to be more western gamer friendly. Which I'm not sure if they really succeeded at because its still full of weird Japanese design and videogame logic, just packaged a bit nicer.

Shifty

Also it isn't western developed (its made by Yukes), but yeah was designed to be more western gamer friendly. Which I'm not sure if they really succeeded at because its still full of weird Japanese design and videogame logic, just packaged a bit nicer.
Whoops, I always assumed Yukes were from the west based on their involvement in yearly WWE 2K titles, UFC, and Pacific Rim. That's an eye-opener.

I did notice that the drivable cars in Iron Rain have an ammo counter for their horn. That's certainly still goofy-as-hell japanese design if I ever saw it lol

MiguelItUp

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Man, I still remember so many good times I had on the original. Too many times where I was crying because I was laughing so hard.

May check this out! :D

Dane

Well that's unexpected.

It's always nice to see more EDF on PC, but Iron Rain is one of the western-developed ones in a similar vein to Insect Armageddon. I think it misses the point a bit by prioritizing nice graphics over enormous hordes of enemies.

But hey, it's something if you've been through 4.1 and 5 and are still hungry for more earth-saving.

Its not, its made by Yuke's Media Creation

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Coming off finishing 5(pc), 4.1(pc) and 2017(360) all in local split screen (yes, in that order), I was looking forward to Iron Rain.
Today is the day we started playing steam version of Iron Rain (two 30yo guys) and here are my impressions as (as or recent) apparently EDF veteran lol:
-Steam version is quite bad. I have 4k monitor and game runs at 1080p MAX with hiidden 75% scaling... so it's barely rendering above 720p. it is especiall weird since performance is great and they have all other pc options and even great working TAA.
Thankfully, You can inject UE4 console and set res rendering to 100% and select 3840x2160 no problem. Game uses 99% of my rtx 2070 but keeps above 50fps most of time and it's fine of freesync monitor.
-Mouse controls are terrible but we play all edf games with controllers anyway. 4.1 and 5 had great mouse controls though.
-Graphics are great. Still a lot of ants on the screen but clearly much less than before.
-Game is much easier. 5 was difficult even on normal and required tactics. In Iron Rain, we are playing on Hard and we are on mission 39 after few hours without any failed mission yet.
-Fencer is super overpowered. He works differently now. You have double of weapon You select and double of 2ndary weapon. So You can pick this crazy laser nzgulu cannon... and make it fire 2 beams at the same time. It is OP.
-No more packages. Just pick up gems as a currency after each mission and then BUY unlocked randomly weapons. So far, each mission drops 4 different new weapons. No repeats.
-There is now player look customization and it's a nice addition. Some cool helmets and bikinis in there.

In general, I think it is fun and quite relaxing and while at first glance, it might seem complex enough, there is total of 0 tactics required and load out choices compared to 5. There is a simple story now and even cutscenes.
The game does not feel totally soulless compared to original series but it's kinda hollow.
We will play Insect armageddon on 360 after this one. pc version does not suppor coop afaik

Top Bottom