• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 6 announced

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

D3 Publisher and developer Sandlot have announced Earth Defense Force 6. It will launch in 2021 in Japan. Platforms were not announced, but PlayStation Blog Japan covered the announcement.

Get the first details below.

■ Humanity opposed against fate.
In 2017, Earth Defense Force 5 depicted humanity faced against the invasion of an unknown alien life-form under a new world view. With the motto, “Humanity, oppose your fate,” it became the best selling entry in the series, moving over 500,000 units in Japan.
Four years later, in 2021, the veil will be lifted on the latest numbered entry in the series: Earth Defense Force 6. Offering the greatest sense of despair and excitement in the series yet, Earth Defense Force 6 is a sequel set several years after the ending of Earth Defense Force 5.

However…
The ending of Earth Defense Force 5 was enough to forecast a hopeless future. After two years of war, humanity had barely eradicated the unknown invader that suddenly attacked in 2022. And what was left was the harsh reality that 90 percent of the total population was lost, and that the societal system—not to mention civilization—was on the verge of collapse.
The Earth Defense Force and humanity had certainly opposed and won against fate. However, the future ahead was by no means a world full of a hope in terms of reconstruction…
Can humanity overcome this despair and oppose against fate once again?

Earth Defense Force 6 Setting, Time Period, and Story
Three Years After Victory on a Dying Earth

2024. Humanity won the war against the unknown invaders that had lasted two years. The Primers left and silence returned to the Earth. However, the total human population was reduced to 10 percent. Civilization was on the verge of collapse. And those who survived continued to work hard towards reconstruction…
Three years later, in 2027. Humanity faced another major problem. Many of the aliens (Colonists) that the Primers had deployed into battle were left behind on Earth.
The Colonists formed groups and occupied cities to survive. They have settled on Earth. Humanity and the aliens frequently collided. And through repeated quarrels, both sides faced damages. The two races living on Earth grew tired of each other…

And the remaining threat.
But there was a more serious problem: the invaders continued to breed on Earth.
The invaders that formed nests in the depths of the Earth and its ruins continue to increase. Their numbers have already overwhelmed humanity. Humanity had no choice but to continue fighting so that the invaders would not rule the Earth.
The reconstruction of society and revival of civilization is a very slow process, and each day before that is a struggle to make that day a reality. Humanity continues to fight against the threats that remain…

SEGA_2012

Lord Karnage approves it

c6a.jpg

Kindjal

If the game doesn't lag/stutter, they aren't adding enough enemies to the stages. Let them test the limits of the new hardware with an EDF worthy of the next gen systems!

To save our mother Earth from any alien attack 🎵

From vicious giant insects who have once again come back 🎵

We'll unleash all our forces 🎵

We won't cut them any slack 🎵

The E.D.F deploys! 🎵

MrA

Banned
edfedfedfedfedfedfedfedfdedf!!!!!!!!!!!
also this is likely the game that will be the deciding the vote on the next-gen console

manfestival

Oh we are the valiant infantry.
We are the alpha team with passion and camaraderie.
Hear us as we shout at the top our lungs, be calm and be bold and raise your guns!
It's only with our sacrifice, that mankind can still exist in paradise.
To defend our dearest Mother Earth, we're ready to give up our lives!
High up in the air our comrades fight, dashing through the sky now like million bolts of light.
We shall spread out wings wide and fly high, soaring, gliding through the endless sky!
Now pick up our weapons, off we go.
Firing at the flying saucers, shooting down our foe.
We shall not allow these aliens, to rule we homo sapiens.

bender

What time is it?
Haven't even opened my copy of 5 yet. Looking forward to playing it on ps5 with a good frame rate.

That's stupid. But tbh I don't play these splitscreen because of the frame rate xD

I don't play split screen either. I "beat" the game once playing solo and then when my buddy wanted to do online co-op, all of that progress wasn't available online. It's fucking stupid even for a game that revolves around grinding. To do everything (non-DLC):

110 Missions
5 Difficulty Levels
4 Classes
Online and Offline

That would be 4,400 missions to clear. lol

CamHostage

Edf4 is pretty much locked 60 on ps5.

Oh, ha, you're right... and what a 60 it is!

(Unless there's something wrong with this guy's recording, it looks like the PS5 version speeds it up beyond the design, so not only does it stutter-step on panning, it also runs the rest of the game at a framerate separate from the intended animations, thus you see the low-framerate animation of the bugs at far-LOD that much more clearly or you see explosions and death animations with particles running at twice the speed. It's like the game was intentionally designed knowing the framerate would always suck... which, if you're a fan of EDF and know one of the bizarre joys is to see the game get so crazy that you hit those single-digit framerates, is probably the right choice, in a weird way.)

(BTW, all the comments on that video say the BC game boosted on PS5 still does tear/slowdown in the later levels, with the spiders or falling buildings. So, unheard-of stability for this series so far, we'll see how well part 6 runs, but still , EDF gotta EDF.)

Oh, ha, you're right... and what a 60 it is!

(Unless there's something wrong with this guy's recording, it looks like the PS5 version speeds it up beyond the design, so not only does it stutter-step on panning, it also runs the rest of the game at a framerate separate from the intended animations, thus you see the low-framerate animation of the bugs at far-LOD that much more clearly or you see explosions and death animations with particles running at twice the speed. It's like the game was intentionally designed knowing the framerate would always suck... which, if you're a fan of EDF and know one of the bizarre joys is to see the game get so crazy that you hit those single-digit framerates, is probably the right choice, in a weird way.)

(BTW, all the comments on that video say the BC game boosted on PS5 still does tear/slowdown in the later levels, with the spiders or falling buildings. So, unheard
of stability for this series so far, we'll see how well part 6 runs, but still , EDF gotta EDF.)

Something is wrong with his video dood.

I’ve not gotten around to trying it personally on ps5 yet, only played 4.1 on pro. But i’ll give it a shot and let you know what I find. I don’t expect any issues

Last edited:
Top Bottom