• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Halo Infinite Campaign Previews dropping

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
No sarcasm is completely different... look its dead easy

Hyperbole is the usage of a word to emphasise or embellish something to ilicit a stronger response, it is not meant to be taken literally.

An example;

"Zelda Breath of the Wilds weapon breaking mechanic sucks balls, its the worst Ubisoft game ever."

Now you will no doubt know that a games mechanic can not literally suck balls (unless it involves sticking plasma nades to a Spartans face shield) and Breath of the Wild was not made by Ubisoft, boom hyperbole got it?

Sarcasm is saying the complete opposite of something to assert the opposite of what you say is actually true. Again not meant to be taken literally.

For example;

"Man Zelda Breath of the Wild is the best Zelda game ever, it tottaly isn't just a copy paste of some generic Ubisoft fodder 11/10 IGN."

You see, it's so fucking simple... see the melle weapons in Halo don't "break" they have a percentage which when it hits 0% they become unusable, it functions identically to if the weapon had broken though which is an "embellishment" making it and say it with me now HYPERBOLE and not fucking sarcasm.

Next up will be no doubt someone confusing these with Irony again... although If you got that right, it would be ironic...

Yes but when hyperbole is used, the person still thinks its true, they are just exaggerating it for whatever reason.

E.g im so hungry I could eat a horse.

What you did was take the piss out of people comparing infinite to the contraversal BOTW feature of finite weapons and ubijank

"Ah so it's an over rated Ubisoft game where the weapons break, I suppose I can see the comparison with the way the Hammer and sword have limited ammo.

Will Halo be the Darksouls of Ubisoft titles?"

The first paragraph u wrote is sarcastic.
Its a caustic use of irony, in which words are used to communicate the opposite of their surface meaning, in a humorous way or to mock someone or something.

Hyperbole is not saying the opposite of somthing. Its exaggerating somone or something, sometimes giving an exaggerated example.

What u said is sarcasm because its a sharp form of humor, intended to hurt, that is marked by mocking with irony.

The people u intended to mock were the people comparing ubijank to infinite.

U were not saying it literally u were saying it sarcasticly.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Don’t know if that was posted but OMG

holy-fucking-shit-adam-devine.gif

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yes but when hyperbole is used, the person still thinks its true, they are just exaggerating it for whatever reason.

E.g im so hungry I could eat a horse.

What you did was take the piss out of people comparing infinite to the contraversal BOTW feature of finite weapons and ubijank

The first paragraph u wrote is sarcastic.
Its a caustic use of irony, in which words are used to communicate the opposite of their surface meaning, in a humorous way or to mock someone or something.

Hyperbole is not saying the opposite of somthing. Its exaggerating somone or something, sometimes giving an exaggerated example.

What u said is sarcasm because its a sharp form of humor, intended to hurt, that is marked by mocking with irony.

The people u intended to mock were the people comparing ubijank to infinite.

U were not saying it literally u were saying it sarcasticly.

Wait I thought we where discussing the bit where I said the weapons "break" in Halo, now it's me being overall autistic. I stand corrected.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Wait I thought we where discussing the bit where I said the weapons "break" in Halo, now it's me being overall autistic. I stand corrected.

Its made me autistic.

Its made me confised about hyperbole and sarcasm.

I always thought hyperbole was basically extreme exaggeration and sarcasm was saying something the opposite to cause hurt or humor.

Hyperbole: the current gen consoles have absolutely terrible ray tracing performance

Sarcasm: the current gen consoles have RT performance of a PS1!

Last edited:

ManaByte

Is this a meme or trolling? I can't tell

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You’re in a halo thread where the fans of the series are reptatively getting bashed by Sony fans let alone other popular FPS fans. People just love shitting on the series for no apparent reason so forgive me for taking your dumb take as a serious comment. If you’re going to pull that shit, at least be funny.

Naaaa I shit on pretty much every series for almost no apparent reason. To be fair I was expecting very little from 343 after there hattrick of failures with the MCC, Halo 4 and Halo 5, outside of Halo Wars 2 the series was lacking a good title and 343 had been directly responsible for the worst of the series.

After a great campaign reveal trailer I have been hopeful although that's been dashed somewhat by its "free so your not allowed to criticise it" multiplayer suite.

However I'm still going to make fun of it if it does something stupid... like have them use MAC rounds in atmosphere...

FUCK!

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the campaign after seeing some of these previews and playing many hours of the very fun multiplayer! Overall it seems like 343i have a winner.

But this, this right here is totally unacceptable and should not be given a pass. Especially after the YEAR delay

bullshit-see-now-thats-some-bullshit.gif

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
However I'm still going to make fun of it if it does something stupid... like have them use MAC rounds in atmosphere...

FUCK!

Theres nothing wrong with firing MAC rounds in atmosphere.....The Infinitys MAC rounds....well that might make a new lake if it hits the ground.
The video is titled like that as a nod to Halo Reach.
But im sure you knew that?

2hpg7pe.png

There’s still something off with the lighting to me but the gameplay looks divine. So much for the concern trolling about MS hiding the game away.

SoraNoKuni

It appears to be decent, I probably will raise my flame shield but after the game launches, as now the Xbox fans hype is skyrocketing.

oldergamer

They have yet in their entire existence to release a complete game on day one. They had over 6 fucking years and still can't get it right. At the very least, they need to fire Bonnie Ross. She is more concerned about her next women in gaming industry award than making sure the studio she was led to helm does what the fuck it is supposed to do keep the essence of Halo intact. Halo 4 and 5 are now black sheep of the series. Neither feel or sound or look like a Halo game now that Infinite appears to have gotten the Halo feel back.
Shut up with this shit. This game wasnt worked on for 6 years, and you know what bonnie was doing how? Do u have some sort of telescope attached to your warrior chair that sees all? You dont know her dude.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Theres nothing wrong with firing MAC rounds in atmosphere.....The Infinitys MAC rounds....well that might make a new lake if it hits the ground.
The video is titled like that as a nod to Halo Reach.
But im sure you knew that?

2hpg7pe.png

its literally a quote from the damn fucking game

please see prior comments about jokes and how not everything should be taken literally.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

Shut up with this shit. This game wasnt worked on for 6 years, and you know what bonnie was doing how? Do u have some sort of telescope attached to your warrior chair that sees all? You dont know her dude.
Why are you so quick to defend them? It literally took Brian Jarrard coming over from Bungie to get eyes on how bad MCC was for the community and urging them to fix MCC to the state it is now it should have been at launch.

Situation was the same with Infinite. 4 and a half years and two project leads and Microsoft finally had to pull Joe Staten back to Halo from other projects at XBox Game Studios to steer a lost ship. If you honestly think Infinite shipping in the state it was last summer at it's first reveal was fine then you are blind.

I love Halo like you do, but because of it I am not willing to put on rose colored glasses and overlook the stupid decisions and lack of oversight seen over the years on multiple projects to see Ross is asleep at the wheel.

Frank O'Connor even said that they hired people who hated Halo or aspects of it.

Even if the engine took several years to develop, other teams working on parts of the game should still have been able to work on other aspects of the project.

I am glad things look like they turned the corner on this, but the amount of change, delay, and additional help to get it where it needed to be shows management inside 343i is not great.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Why are you so quick to defend them? It literally took Brian Jarrard coming over from Bungie to get eyes on how bad MCC was for the community and urging them to fix MCC to the state it is now it should have been at launch.

Situation was the same with Infinite. 4 and a half years and two project leads and Microsoft finally had to pull Joe Staten back to Halo from other projects at XBox Game Studios to steer a lost ship. If you honestly think Infinite shipping in the state it was last summer at it's first reveal was fine then you are blind.

I love Halo like you do, but because of it I am not willing to put on rose colored glasses and overlook the stupid decisions and lack of oversight seen over the years on multiple projects to see Ross is asleep at the wheel.

Frank O'Connor even said that they hired people who hated Halo or aspects of it.

Even if the engine took several years to develop, other teams working on parts of the game should still have been able to work on other aspects of the project.

I am glad things look like they turned the corner on this, but the amount of change, delay, and additional help to get it where it needed to be shows management inside 343i is not great.

I agree, 343 has been hot caca since they took over the franchise, the management are fucking morons. With that said, it seems that by some miracle Halo Infinite is more or less the game we've missed for so many years, and despite my long time sincere 343 criticism I really appreciate that. I don't know what happened to turn things around, but I'd LOVE to learn the detailed backstory.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Is Halo worth playing just for the Campaign? I don't care much for the multiplayer.
Id say yeah.
Halo 5 probably the weakest of the bunch Campaign wise.
But they are all actually good for pure campaign playthroughs.
And from the previews this looks to be a really good campaign.

VAVA Mk2

I agree, 343 has been hot caca since they took over the franchise, the management are fucking morons. With that said, it seems that by some miracle Halo Infinite is more or less the game we've missed for so many years, and despite my long time sincere 343 criticism I really appreciate that. I don't know what happened to turn things around, but I'd LOVE to learn the detailed backstory.
Me too. Rumor is Jason Schrier (who I am not a fan of regardless) is working on a piece about what is going on over there.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
So what your saying is its nothing like BoTW despite people declaring it as the "BoTW of shooters" or an Ubisoft title and is closer to the first level of Crysis.
The Ubisoft thing was mostly people assuming based on the campaign overview, that it would just be the same mission over and over with slight changes. Many who have played the game have commented its not fully open like Ubisoft games. The E3 2018 trailer always gave the impression that they were going for a Halo CE style game and expand on that formula, we all speculated that it would be like Halo CE. Here is the review from Mint Blitz(based on the first 4 missions), who is a Halo CE fan and calls it "Halo CE on steroids".

Does not sound like a Ubisoft game to me.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I was never an Xbox guy until last year so I missed all the Halo games. I then played them and it really surprised me how open Halo 1 was and then how each subsequent game got more linear. Looks like the new Halo is indeed back to the roots.
You could backtrack in most Halo CE levels, but in later games they used many tricks to prevent you from playing backwards.

Batiman

Banned
My mission to find a series X before this launches is starting to look like a failure…
I refuse to play the campaign on my xb1s. Loving the MP but 30fps is so bad especially after halo 5 and every other shooter I’ve been playing. You do get slightly used to it but still sucks. Loving everything else about this though

My mission to find a series X before this launches is starting to look like a failure…
I refuse to play the campaign on my xb1s. Loving the MP but 30fps is so bad especially after halo 5 and every other shooter I’ve been playing. You do get slightly used to it but still sucks. Loving everything else about this though
Where you from? Series X are attainable here in the UK but its not easy.

Lone Wolf

Can you snag a used One X, or find a Series S maybe? Looks like it plays well on those consoles as well.

Top Bottom