• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Halo Infinite Campaign Previews dropping

MastAndo

Gold Member
Looks better than last year.
Am I hearing 40 hours?
That's incredible if true.

xss 1080p 30fps yikes!
I believe that was just one particular reviewer (ACG) saying he spent 40 hours with it, exploring the area of the open world available to him and such. All of these impressions we're seeing are based on the first 4 mission of the game, so that number isn't indicative of the game's length. We don't really know at this point, but it sounds like there's plenty to do.

elliot5

I believe that was just one particular reviewer (ACG) saying he spent 40 hours with it, exploring the area of the open world available to him and such. All of these impressions we're seeing are based on the first 4 mission of the game, so that number isn't indicative of the game's length. We don't really know at this point, but it sounds like there's plenty to do.
He also played the game on each difficulty iirc so he replayed which surely added to his play count

MastAndo

Gold Member
These previews had me going from lukewarm about the campaign to pretty hyped. I like everything I'm seeing and hearing so far. On top of that, I came to the realization that Infinite will likely be my multiplayer FPS of choice for me going forward. I tried CoD Vanguard yesterday, was fooled into believing I was having fun with it for about an hour, then just found myself getting absolutely mauled from all directions in a futile attempt to keep up with the chaos. Yeah, I'm taking my geriatric ass back to Infinite.

Yeah I’m gonna do that a lot.

Holy shit, 343!!!!! The time and years they spent with this game really were fucking worth it. They took their time and implemented so many damn great ideas. I love how it's not only part of the upgrades, but they combine it with the friggin grapple, wow.

Best part about this whole slate of previews is hardcore halo lore fans, people whose opinion I respect on Halo, are heaping heavy, heavy praise on this game's campaign. And they have their criticisms too, but the few criticisms are ones I know I won't share based on what I've seen so far. They even put the map to its test, using the grapple to get to the most seemingly nonsensical locations, and even then 343 had still planned for and designed the area. There was a jackal and a grunt mule at the very, very top of a location that they probably assume most wouldn't even attempt to go.

These dudes are the Halo lore people I've followed for years, and who I trust on lore and campaign related stuff.

And so many more awesome impressions. But it's beyond clear 343 has a certified hit on their hands. This game is really fucking good by the sounds of it, and you got these hardcore Halo lore guys stating that the structure and design of the game, especially exploration bits, exceeded their expectations. He even goes as far as to say that Jen Taylor's voice acting in this game is some of the best he has ever heard in a videogame.

Last edited:
Maybe the FH5 GOTY declarations were premature?

Sounds like Halo is going to get it. I love Forza Horizon 5, but Halo Infinite and my hype level probably already ensured it would be my personal GOTY, but after these previews with people all saying EXACTLY what I been hoping for and wanting to hear? Shit... At this point it'll be a miracle if I don't watch every last one of these videos and essentially spoil so much of the game's early moments for myself.

Mars2003

Neo Member
Really looking forward to this, I was there for H1 way back in 2001and this looks the business! Now if only I didn't have to wait until Xmas to gift that XSX to the kids!

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm looking forward to the campaign after seeing some of these previews and playing many hours of the very fun multiplayer! Overall it seems like 343i have a winner.

But this, this right here is totally unacceptable and should not be given a pass. Especially after the YEAR delay

Clarify. When you say ‘not given a pass’, what do you mean exactly?

It doesnt bother you that the campaing is launching with only one biome, no weather effects, and most importantly to me, no coop, a staple of the halo franchise? The other stuff id be more understanding of. But my first run of every halo is in co-op with my best friend. What irks me is that this should be released as and labeled as campaing early access, because thats what it is, it seems like the campaign aspect will not actually be “completed” until some time next year. I also think they should have labeled the bf 2042 release as early access, considering how many features are not in it. Im sick of companies launching early access products and trying to pass them off as full releases for 60-70 bucks.

Let's be real, if you actually pay attention to the game you would instantly learn that visual diversity is the last problem this game has. The lion's share and overwhelming majority of previews from people who have played it are more or less confirming there's nothing to be concerned by on that front because the locations many of them have played for the important story based missions have been, in their words, easily some of the most visually interesting, diverse and exciting spaces they've played in a Halo game, and that was just the first four hours. They say that they not only speak to fans who want an amazing and immersive story, but also people who want gameplay spaces that are effectively designed to bring out the most fun Halo gameplay in years, spaces that take advantage of the grappleshot as the game changer it is for Halo campaigns and equipment. There are people calling it the BEST piece of equipment ever added to a Halo game, and that it feels like it should have been in the games from the very start with the more open approach.

The only ones making the complaint that you are regarding biome among those who have played the game are pretty much people who have basically already backed themselves into a corner on assuming Campaign would somehow be a mess a very public way, and now essentially need something to stubbornly fall back on because their over-dramatizations that campaign would be far cry or assassin's creed with a bunch of useless checklist objectives and a "concern" over lack of visual diversity, have all essentially been been shocked to reality by what 343 presented. You can give people an amazing variety of unique banished, forerunner (and a third unique style or visual palette that previewers saw but apparently can't mention due to 343 and Microsoft asking them not to) inspired locations or spaces to play in, along with a legitimately large and amazingly explorable Zeta Halo ring combined with incredible story, gameplay and amazing depth of tactical options with amazing deep space battles with the kinds of set piece scenes that are often limited to full cutscenes or QTE, but where 343 are doing in real-time and in a way that takes advantage of the new gameplay possible with the grapple hook, and still people will say "but my biomes." People will just enjoy the game and let Halo Infinite tell its story. So far the first four hours are getting rave reviews. What's obvious from the previews is that there's nothing remote incomplete feeling about the Halo Infinite campaign experience. They made a far more ambitious Halo game, with features that no prior Halo has ever had, essentially making TWO simultaneous types of Halo campaigns and fit them both into a single experience, one that is more in line with previous kinds of Halo games where you can pursue only the main story path and ignore all the other optional stuff like outposts, strongholds, marine rescues etc, and just complete the main story. And then there's this newer, more semi open world type of Halo that seems to borrow strongly from batman arkham, that version of the Halo Infinite campaign is there for people who want to pursue all the upgrades, forward operating bases, outposts, high value targets etc.

With all that's been added if 343 is being wise enough to not ship something broken, but instead is choosing to take their time to activate co-op when the time is right, that's obviously the right decision for the game. I personally don't play co-op, but I understand a lot of people are MORE excited to try it now due to the incredible direction of the game. Hopefully the level of ambition and freedom in this game, especially in open worldish sections, demonstrate why having different players moving around in that space with all the possibilities is no easy thing to solve and needs to handled carefully.

Flintty

Holy shit, 343!!!!! The time and years they spent with this game really were fucking worth it. They took their time and implemented so many damn great ideas. I love how it's not only part of the upgrades, but they combine it with the friggin grapple, wow.

Best part about this whole slate of previews is hardcore halo lore fans, people whose opinion I respect on Halo, are heaping heavy, heavy praise on this game's campaign. And they have their criticisms too, but the few criticisms are ones I know I won't share based on what I've seen so far. They even put the map to its test, using the grapple to get to the most seemingly nonsensical locations, and even then 343 had still planned for and designed the area. There was a jackal and a grunt mule at the very, very top of a location that they probably assume most wouldn't even attempt to go.

These dudes are the Halo lore people I've followed for years, and who I trust on lore and campaign related stuff.

And so many more awesome impressions. But it's beyond clear 343 has a certified hit on their hands. This game is really fucking good by the sounds of it, and you got these hardcore Halo lore guys stating that the structure and design of the game, especially exploration bits, exceeded their expectations. He even goes as far as to say that Jen Taylor's voice acting in this game is some of the best he has ever heard in a videogame.

Holy shit, this is looking special. Starting to see why it was in development so long and needed a makeover for the past year - game is ambitious as fuck for a Halo game. Can’t wait.

I've never gotten halfway through a Halo game, although I've tried a few times. They just haven't been my thing.

But, this sounds interesting enough that I may want to give it a shot. But, how much do you think I need to be up to speed in the plot?

I have no personal investment in the series's lore, characters, stories, etc. Do you guys think it would still be worthwhile? I should also mention I'm a single-player guy, so I'm only concerned with the campaign.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I've never gotten halfway through a Halo game, although I've tried a few times. They just haven't been my thing.

But, this sounds interesting enough that I may want to give it a shot. But, how much do you think I need to be up to speed in the plot?

I have no personal investment in the series's lore, characters, stories, etc. Do you guys think it would still be worthwhile? I should also mention I'm a single-player guy, so I'm only concerned with the campaign.

The plot: "We're under attack by the aliens! Hurry Chief, there are Marines that need our help over there!"

You're basically up to speed now.

Dr Bass

Even in the best game in the series (Halo 1) the lore was not important at all. It's typical boilerplate stuff and can be completely ignored. You will surely miss some references from previous games but where it matters most (fun gameplay) you would be just fine jumping right into this one IMO.

Looks like my Breath of the Wild suspicions were confirmed. Many are making that comparison.

If people thought Microsoft was hiding this thing, think again. They've got a hit on their hands.

So the sound design is incredible according to one of the videos posted in here. Guy says that shots echo throughout the environments, even multiple shots done by you. Killer sound design he says.

You only have to play the MP to hear how good the sound is, 343 are heading for that 90MC rating I predicted months ago.

Hawk269

Have any of the previews talked about or hinted at other biomes? I find it hard to believe that after all the development that they only have one biome. I would think that once you get to certain point, the pilot takes you to another area (new biome).

Andodalf

Banned
Have any of the previews talked about or hinted at other biomes? I find it hard to believe that after all the development that they only have one biome. I would think that once you get to certain point, the pilot takes you to another area (new biome).
They’re only allowed to talk about the first couple missions, so we don’t know either way.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
For fucks sake

ITS A FUCKING JOKE, DOES EVERYONE HAVE HYPERAUTISM?

Please For the love of christ look up hyperbole, read it its fucking life changing.

I understand this is an alien concept in America, but its the attractive red headed sister of Irony everywhere else.

Seems more sarcastic. Unless u actually think weapons will actually break.

Even in the best game in the series (Halo 1) the lore was not important at all. It's typical boilerplate stuff and can be completely ignored. You will surely miss some references from previous games but where it matters most (fun gameplay) you would be just fine jumping right into this one IMO.
Ok, good to know. I always thought Halo had more of a semi-serious on-going plot.

VAVA Mk2

How about they just release a completed game after all these years and delays?
They have yet in their entire existence to release a complete game on day one. They had over 6 fucking years and still can't get it right. At the very least, they need to fire Bonnie Ross. She is more concerned about her next women in gaming industry award than making sure the studio she was led to helm does what the fuck it is supposed to do keep the essence of Halo intact. Halo 4 and 5 are now black sheep of the series. Neither feel or sound or look like a Halo game now that Infinite appears to have gotten the Halo feel back.

Dr Bass

Ok, good to know. I always thought Halo had more of a semi-serious on-going plot.
Hm ... depends on how you look at it I guess. Some people here seem to take it VERY seriously, whereas even in Halo 2 I thought the plot was well ... "losing it." I've played through every single one except 5, and frankly can hardly remember anything about the plots aside from a few things. And the things I do remember just ... it's not a story you need to know basically.

You're good to go. :messenger_tongue:

Also I think this a STRENGTH of Halo before people start trying to bash on me. I can think of VERY few games with actually well executed stories, once you get past your teen years. Halo should be all about the action and how over the top it can get.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Hm ... depends on how you look at it I guess. Some people here seem to take it VERY seriously, whereas even in Halo 2 I thought the plot was well ... "losing it." I've played through every single one except 5, and frankly can hardly remember anything about the plots aside from a few things. And the things I do remember just ... it's not a story you need to know basically.

You're good to go. :messenger_tongue:

Also I think this a STRENGTH of Halo before people start trying to bash on me. I can think of VERY few games with actually well executed stories, once you get past your teen years. Halo should be all about the action and how over the top it can get.

Only thing you need to know is an ancient race made the halo rings as a weapon to wipe out all life in the universe so the Flood couldn't reproduce and spread.

LordOfChaos

Cautiously optimistic, there's a lot of positive coming out of these early impressions

But I'm still a little tepid about how they're discarding the last villain and moving onto a new plot a third game in a row. I still think there might be more going on with Cortana, but we'll see. They're definitely on the right Halo ring to get into the really interesting Halo lore now though.

JoeBudden

Of course that manchild Grubb thinks this game is Halo's Breath of the Wild lmao. I wouldn't expect anything else from him.

Ehhh, there’s some really great lore in Halo.

the first few games you don’t really need it, but it’s been so many games that some understanding will definitely give things a lot more context and understanding. The IGN preview said so much, even tho I know 343 is pushing this to be a great entry point

Holy shit, this is looking special. Starting to see why it was in development so long and needed a makeover for the past year - game is ambitious as fuck for a Halo game. Can’t wait.

Seriously. They have seemingly fulfilled every single promise that they made to us when they described the game as they did on their various blogs. The game is very ambitious, and I'm super excited.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Seems more sarcastic. Unless u actually think weapons will actually break.

No sarcasm is completely different... look its dead easy

Hyperbole is the usage of a word to emphasise or embellish something to ilicit a stronger response, it is not meant to be taken literally.

An example;

"Zelda Breath of the Wilds weapon breaking mechanic sucks balls, its the worst Ubisoft game ever."

Now you will no doubt know that a games mechanic can not literally suck balls (unless it involves sticking plasma nades to a Spartans face shield) and Breath of the Wild was not made by Ubisoft, boom hyperbole got it?

Sarcasm is saying the complete opposite of something to assert the opposite of what you say is actually true. Again not meant to be taken literally.

For example;

"Man Zelda Breath of the Wild is the best Zelda game ever, it tottaly isn't just a copy paste of some generic Ubisoft fodder 11/10 IGN."

You see, it's so fucking simple... see the melle weapons in Halo don't "break" they have a percentage which when it hits 0% they become unusable, it functions identically to if the weapon had broken though which is an "embellishment" making it and say it with me now HYPERBOLE and not fucking sarcasm.

Next up will be no doubt someone confusing these with Irony again... although If you got that right, it would be ironic...

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It looks like the same game it has always de. with 4K resolution
Fuck Off Jerry Ferrara GIF by Power

God I am beyond pumped for this now. Like many, I was worried by the lack of transparency in the campaign. But the preview by ACG has brought me right back up, along with the amazing multiplayer.

Can’t wait to load up a warthog with some marines and trawl the map, resulting no doubt in their inevitable death!

elliot5

Of course that manchild Grubb thinks this game is Halo's Breath of the Wild lmao. I wouldn't expect anything else from him.
what's wrong with his comparison in the context that like how BOTW looked back to the OG Zelda as a foundation of the feeling they wanted to capture in their new, open direction, Halo Infinite is doing that with Halo:CE

sainraja

No there are plenty of open world games that are nothing like an Ubisoft formula for open worlds, Death Stranding, MGS V, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Deathloop, GTA etc etc.

Breath of the Wild however is just an Ubisoft title, right up to the meme towers. So Halo being just anouther Ubisoft title with the only difference being the fans get upset when you call it that is a little disappointing. Look forward to climbing my first tower to unlock the region on a map.

Nah....Breath of the Wild is a pretty awesome open world game; something that Ubisoft would do great to follow. I am intrigued....but it is an FPS game so also going to go into this a little reserved. The only Halo game I have finished is Halo 5.

For fucks sake

ITS A FUCKING JOKE, DOES EVERYONE HAVE HYPERAUTISM?

Please For the love of christ look up hyperbole, read it its fucking life changing.

I understand this is an alien concept in America, but its the attractive red headed sister of Irony everywhere else.
You’re in a halo thread where the fans of the series are reptatively getting bashed by Sony fans let alone other popular FPS fans. People just love shitting on the series for no apparent reason so forgive me for taking your dumb take as a serious comment. If you’re going to pull that shit, at least be funny.

Last edited:
Top Bottom