• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Halo Infinite Campaign Previews dropping

Shubh_C63

Look forward to climbing my first tower to unlock the region on a map
That would be an ultra high tech obelisk and you need to activate (enter slow battery insert animation) three of them around the map for new AI to triangulate shit. Haha

Not complaining, I am looking forward to it

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Ok, good. Just wanted to confirm that you knew the ammo restrictions on the hammer/sword were always present for balancing reasons. Since it sounded like you were saying that they were introduced because of the open world.

No I'm making fun if the fact people are comparing a game to Breath if the Wild, while also saying "its less of an Ubisoft" title in the same preview.

Jennings

Spent most all week playing it.

I just saw this one pop up in my subscriptions and quickly watched it on Youtube. As a hater of boss fights big and small, I hope 343 addresses the previewer's concerns about a certain terrible boss fight, especially after Halo 5's insufferable Wardens (while solo).

Other than boss stuff I like what I saw, this coming from a casual Halo player who's only played 2 games in the series (1 and 5).

DavidGzz

Playing this with headphones for the sweet sound. I like how the multiplayers sounds too. This is the first Halo where I feel like I'm controlling a super heavy soldier in heavy armor.

GymWolf

Looks like my Breath of the Wild suspicions were confirmed. Many are making that comparison.

If people thought Microsoft was hiding this thing, think again. They've got a hit on their hands.

So the sound design is incredible according to one of the videos posted in here. Guy says that shots echo throughout the environments, even multiple shots done by you. Killer sound design he says.

What they say about the similarities with botw?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I think some people forget what is wrong with farcry/assassin creed games. Its not just loads of map icons and boring repetive tasks its also other things, like overall polish, movement, gun feel, animation etc

Digital foundry is doing a good job at describing infinite. Its seems you still are a sci fi space super soldier that is at war with aliens, the sandbox sections have you taking out optional enemy strongholds/bases/bosses which seems like an extension of the vision of the original halo. Masterchef, herding the local wildlife, collecting plants etc would not make sense, it is halo afterall.

EDMIX

I didn't grow up with Halo and played the original trilogy later, which was fine, and fun. Didn't hype me for 4/5 at all and even the fans were let down there it seems.

But between the multiplayer and these previews I'm actually really quite excited for something Halo for the first time. Looks great!
Same.

Its been a long ass time since I cared about anything in this series, but it looks like I might be picking up a Halo game soon

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
No there are plenty of open world games that are nothing like an Ubisoft formula for open worlds, Death Stranding, MGS V, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Deathloop, GTA etc etc.

Breath of the Wild however is just an Ubisoft title, right up to the meme towers. So Halo being just anouther Ubisoft title with the only difference being the fans get upset when you call it that is a little disappointing. Look forward to climbing my first tower to unlock the region on a map.
Halo already experimented with open world elements in Halo CE and ODST. They early missions in Halo CE were also just rescuing marines from covenant bases. Each levels were very open and allowed backtracking. Later Halo games often used invisible walls to prevent backtracking and had very linear levels. Heck, someone even put that grapple shot in Halo CE.

Halo Infinite seems more like an open world exploration of a Halo installation that Halo CE tried to be.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Halo already experimented with open world elements in Halo CE and ODST. They early missions in Halo CE were also just rescuing marines from covenant bases. Each levels were very open and allowed backtracking. Later Halo games often used invisible walls to prevent backtracking and had very linear levels. Heck, someone even put that grapple shot in Halo CE.

Halo Infinite seems more like an open world exploration of a Halo installation that Halo CE tried to be.

So what your saying is its nothing like BoTW despite people declaring it as the "BoTW of shooters" or an Ubisoft title and is closer to the first level of Crysis.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I see Grub is parroting my BotW comparison. Seriously though, that’s the immediate feel I got watching gameplay.

Buggy Loop

No there are plenty of open world games that are nothing like an Ubisoft formula for open worlds, Death Stranding, MGS V, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Deathloop, GTA etc etc.

Breath of the Wild however is just an Ubisoft title, right up to the meme towers. So Halo being just anouther Ubisoft title with the only difference being the fans get upset when you call it that is a little disappointing. Look forward to climbing my first tower to unlock the region on a map.

BOTW towers basically only unlocks the topology on the map.. that’s it. By being at the top of it, it’s a nice occasion to add beacons to interesting places you should explore.

Outside of being towers, they have nothing in common with Ubisoft towers. It doesn’t populate the map with 200 fucking little collectables/side quests and reveals all the area’s place of interest.

Dissing BOTW towers as being Ubisoft so many years after the game released and everyone who played the game can tell the difference is a big brainlet moment.

Buggy Loop

There’s multiple previews in this thread, none of which mention unlocking new sections of the map after climbing towers, so I’m not sure where he’s coming from.

Not sure how he expects ‘climb towers to unlock’ would work in a game where you can hop on multiple aircraft and fly around.

ToWeRs? uBISoFT!! HaAhHA

Mocking Spongebob Squarepants GIF

He’s right to tag the guy for shitposting and to see if he’ll be as fair for Horizon, which are Ubisoft towers, at least the first game.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
BOTW towers basically only unlocks the topology on the map.. that’s it. By being at the top of it, it’s a nice occasion to add beacons to interesting places you should explore.

Outside of being towers, they have nothing in common with Ubisoft towers. It doesn’t populate the map with 200 fucking little collectables/side quests and reveals all the area’s place of interest.

Dissing BOTW towers as being Ubisoft so many years after the game released and everyone who played the game can tell the difference is a big brainlet moment.

I mean do you really want to argue that Breath of the Wild is not like an Ubisoft game because there's less things to do in it?

I wasent going to be too harsh as I know its closer to an Ubisoft game like Assassin's Creed 1 or 2 before they started adding 40 types of repetitive side missions, BoTW just has the Seeds (feathers) and dungeons (challenge tombs) from those earlier games, with a handful of storied side content (sub missions) that those early Ubisoft titles stuck too.

From the sounds of it though it seems people comparing the new Halo to BotW have some sort of mental issue and it's nothing alike...

Last edited:

I was never an Xbox guy until last year so I missed all the Halo games. I then played them and it really surprised me how open Halo 1 was and then how each subsequent game got more linear. Looks like the new Halo is indeed back to the roots.

Kssio_Aug

I mean do you really want to argue that Breath of the Wild is not like an Ubisoft game because there's less things to do in it?

I wasent going to be too harsh as I know its closer to an Ubisoft game like Assassin's Creed 1 or 2 before they started adding 40 types of repetitive side missions, BoTW just has the Seeds (feathers) and dungeons (challenge tombs) from those earlier games, with a handful of storied side content (sub missions) that those early Ubisoft titles stuck too.

From the sounds of it though it seems people comparing the new Halo to BotW have some sort of mental issue and it's nothing alike...
Just to make it clear. Do you think that climbing towers to reveal a map is THE element that makes Ubisoft games what they are, and that makes other open-world games some sort of clones of their games?

I mean, you mentioned collectables (seeds / feathers) but this is present in pretty much any game of all sorts of genre and gameplay style. And it's kind ridiculous to say that dungeons is a signature element of Ubisoft games. So I think you just came with these silly comparisons to try to justify your argument, but it didn't work.

Because I don't know if you understand that, besides featuring the towers element, BotW is a VERY different game compared to Ubisoft's open world games. The way the gameplay is structured, the freedom you have in it and the way you can interact with the environment has nothing to do with Ubisoft's general structure you find on Assassin's Creed or Far Cry.

Also, other than being slightly open-world and having some bases you can destroy, there's not much that indicates that Halo Infinite is akin to Ubisoft's games structure either. There's not even the damn towers in it apparently!

That being said, I'm having a hard time understanding what's your point...

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
God bless current Xbox leadership for allowing one year delay for this game

Why were they even planning on releasing it a year ago though? Did they really not realize that it was clearly unfinished until the reveal was poorly received? A bit strange.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
He’s right to tag the guy for shitposting and to see if he’ll be as fair for Horizon, which are Ubisoft towers, at least the first game.
That's actual wrong. The map in horizon unlocks as you explore. The tall necks are optional for people who wants to unlock are without exploring

THEAP99

Banned
I'm looking forward to the campaign after seeing some of these previews and playing many hours of the very fun multiplayer! Overall it seems like 343i have a winner.

But this, this right here is totally unacceptable and should not be given a pass. Especially after the YEAR delay

Very excited for this. I played a match of MP last night, and while I don't plan on playing much more (I'm old, and "get sniped in the head while leaving the spawn" isn't my idea of fun anymore), I was very impressed with how it looked and played. I've been replaying the old campaigns recently too.

SteadyEvo

4v4 spawns are disgusting. Like CoD levels of garbage. Is it that hard to spawn opposition on the other side of the map? I’m routinely shot and melee’d in the back. Super annoying

THEAP99

Banned
Halo Infinite has a dash of the Ubisoft open world about it. I can feel some readers recoiling in horror at the phrase. Yes, there is that hoovering the map of icons feeling to Halo Infinite.

This I am trained to want to do. High value targets - specially named Banished enemies who have, brace yourself, shields and health bars above their character models - reward Valor upon death. The more Valor you gain, the more vehicles and powerful UNSC soldiers you'll have access to at a FOB. There are Banished outposts to take down and other icons denoting bits and bobs to "complete". In between main story missions, Master Chief's quest is to dent the Banished's occupancy of the ring, map icon by map icon.

And, get this! Master Chief has a skill tree now. It's pretty basic. Spartan cores, which are littered around the world (they're another map icon), are consumed to unlock upgrades to Master Chief's combat capabilities. You can upgrade the grapple hook, for example, and Master Chief's shields. (Always choose the grapple hook!)"

This hurts some of my hype. Another empty checklist open world game. Hopefully the story is interesting enough and there's some scenic shakeups later in the campaign to keep it not repetitive.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Just to make it clear. Do you think that climbing towers to reveal a map is THE element that makes Ubisoft games what they are, and that makes other open-world games some sort of clones of their games?

I mean, you mentioned collectables (seeds / feathers) but this is present in pretty much any game of all sorts of genre and gameplay style. And it's kind ridicouls to say that dungeons is a signature element of Ubisoft games. So I think you just came with these silly comparisons to try to justify your argument, but it didn't work.

Because I don't know if you understand that, besides featuring the towers element, BotW is a VERY different game compared to Ubisoft's open world games. The way the gameplay is structured, the freedom you have in it and the way you can interact with the environment has nothing to do with Ubisoft's general structure you find on Assassin's Creed or Far Cry.

Also, other than being slightly open-world and having some bases you can destroy, there's not much that indicates that Halo Infinite is akin to Ubisoft's games structure either. There's not even the damn towers in it apparently!

That being said, I'm having a hard time understanding what's your point...

The point is it started off as a joke and a poke at people comparing Halo to BoTW in a favourable way. But then people who don't get hyperbole have an autistic fit about someone making fun of BoTW by saying it's an Ubisoft title... like that time Ubisoft made an open world Starfox title but took starfox out of it to sell on other platforms.

I just don't think Breath of the Wild has enough to differentiate it from an older ubisoft title like Far Cry 2 other than sequencing breaking, hell it even had the weapon breaking. It also has that Ubisoft "feel" to it, which is funny because those janky world interactions people praise it for is what feels the most ubisoft about it, likes its not completely polished, like when you set a plain of grass on fire in Farcry 2 and watched the mercs slowly get ingulfed by it before their jeep detonated and flys 200 feet into some poor sod who ran away screaming from the fire. You know kinda like the goblin outposts in BoTW where people make videos of the stupid ways they cleared it.... its been done by Ubisoft, people just don't make videos about it being the second coming of christ.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I'm looking forward to the campaign after seeing some of these previews and playing many hours of the very fun multiplayer! Overall it seems like 343i have a winner.

But this, this right here is totally unacceptable and should not be given a pass. Especially after the YEAR delay

Yeah, I am waiting not going to play Halo alone.

FireFly

This hurts some of my hype. Another empty checklist open world game. Hopefully the story is interesting enough and there's some scenic shakeups later in the campaign to keep it not repetitive.

The DF coverage is actually much more positive and highlights the fact that the side activities are optional and crafted like Halo encounters, and the indoor sections function like regular levels in the mainline games.

They liken it to the Arkham series or Crysis.

Last edited:
Top Bottom