• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA to stop selling physical games in Germanic speaking countries

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
With so much content being online based, physical is starting to not be much different tbh.

Untitled-1.jpg
I don't disagree.

Driveclub, 99% of the game is offline. The only online portion is racing against other people, while having a club/clan and tracking those lap times, erc.. That's it. I can play everything right now offline.

In fact, I never raced online once.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I don't disagree.

Driveclub, 99% of the game is offline. The only online portion is racing against other people, while having a club/clan and tracking those lap times, erc.. That's it. I can play everything right now offline.

In fact, I never raced online once.

Good to know, I thought that was an always online title. Technically, I think you can still play the tutorials in ChromeHounds, but not much meat there.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Good to know, I thought that was an always online title. Technically, I think you can still play the tutorials in ChromeHounds, but not much meat there.
Sadly, it was delisted due to the studio being dissolved and Sony not reupping the car and music licensing, but if you already had it (I have both physical and digital versions), you can still DL and play. Patches and all.

One of those amazing games that died by the wayside and would have been so good with a 4K/60 patch for the PS5.

Last edited:
one step closer to an all digital future and some people still refuse to believe it is happening. physical is dying. next gen will likely be digital only. both sony + microsoft have been warming people up to an all digital future.

they should stop releasing physical games in all countries.

i, for one, welcome the digital future. bring it on!
After the history of publishers just dropping games from thier digital markets, this is a bad take. In an all-digital future, you will own NOTHING

imsosleepy

one step closer to an all digital future and some people still refuse to believe it is happening. physical is dying. next gen will likely be digital only. both sony + microsoft have been warming people up to an all digital future.

digital only gonna suck ass..
games always at full price
no more buying a game second handed, finishing it and selling it again :D

DaGwaphics

So gross. Everyone excited for a world where you don’t actually own anything.

There's a difference between being excited and cheer leading for something and just being a realist and stating that is what you think is the inevitable result.

This is the most retarded post I have seen in a long while.

EA barely releases full games - most of their titles are GAAS/Sports titles. You can still buy physical versions of the few games they make that are worth a damn in German, just not in German speaking countries. Given the ease of imports for most of Europe, this barely changes a thing.

Couple this with only the very rare AAA title not being “complete” on disk at launch - you continue to show your ass in your ignorance on the subject. Digital isn’t the future nor is Physical going away any time soon. Keep sucking that corporate cock though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A digital only future in video games removes choice. And a lack of choice is shit.

I personally enjoy buying older games at a complete discount via eBay.

I also like the fact it gives me the power to sell old games.

I don't see a single reason to own a console if we went fully digital tbh.
I support digital as I dont care about discs, but I can understand why people want discs whether its for collecting or simply just ensuring it works.

One thing I think would help soothe disc vs digital is if consoles commit to BC for a long time so it can work across many generations. Similar to PCs where a game can probably run across 20 years of Windows versions. And if it doesn't work with a modern OS, there's still a chance a modder somewhere will help make it work.

Right now Xbox and PS consoles only support last gen in full as they just started the BC kick. I think a lot of people fear PS6 and Series Y will cut off supporting old files starting clean like how consoles usually did it. Maybe they will do that, maybe not. You never know, maybe PS7 and Series Z in the year 2035 will still support playing Xbox One and PS4 games.

When games get de-listed or taken off line, that'll be pretty convenient, won't it? And people complaining about clutter, how small are your houses/apartments? Not to mention if you keep your physical games on a shelf or something that's organized, not clutter.

Moses85

One of the largest game manufacturers is in a similar situation: Electronic Arts. EA bestsellers include the FIFA, Battlefield, F1, Madden, Apex Legends and The Sims series. With FIFA Ultimate Team trading card packs alone, the listed US group generated more than 1.6 billion dollars last year.

The European EA locations are now facing profound changes. Electronic Arts GmbH, based in Cologne's Rheinauhafen, employs around 100 people who, in addition to the German market, also look after Austria, Switzerland and Scandinavia.

EA Deutschland's latest annual report states: "The ongoing shift from physical goods to digital downloads continues to have a negative impact on sales development. Revenue from digital downloads is not processed through EA, but through an affiliate."

Therefore, an "economic restructuring" was initiated: Local customer contracts had already been terminated in May 2022 - after the restructuring, Electronic Arts will "no longer generate sales with packaged goods" in German-speaking countries. As a result, EA already expects a "significant decline in sales" in the current 2022/23 financial year.

Provisions in the tens of millions were made on the balance sheet, both for staff and for take-back obligations and discounts. However, the German Electronic Arts headquarters in Cologne should be retained – also because many EA games are localized (i.e. translated and synchronized) there.

https://www.gameswirtschaft.de/wirtschaft/electronic-arts-deutschland-games-datentraeger/

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

EA

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

@EA

Mr Moose

Fuck the all digital future, and fuck games like CoD that have nothing on the disc, should at least have the campaign.
Now I have to decide which version to buy, a disc with nothing on or the more expensive digital version that has the benefit of fast swapping :messenger_crying:

Haggard

Banned
No. Give me one reason why any of that matters.
If I have to explain why actual ownership with all rights this entails matters and matters more the higher a product's cost then talking to you is a waste of time.....

Last edited:

Rykan

If I have to explain why actual ownership with all rights this entails matters and matters more the higher a product's cost then talking to you is a waste of time.....
If you can't actually be bothered to back up your arguments, then what are you even doing on a discussion board?

A typical cd album is what 30-45 minutes in length for about 15$? That's significantly less value per dollar than an 80$ game.

Only thing I dislile is that we are left with the absolutely ridiculous proces for digital media.

DaGwaphics

If you can't actually be bothered to back up your arguments, then what are you even doing on a discussion board?

A typical cd album is what 30-45 minutes in length for about 15$? That's significantly less value per dollar than an 80$ game.

?? I think he was getting at the fact that a CD of an album you like will be played hundreds of times over the years, significantly increasing the value per dollar over a game that you might play a few times through at max. Or are you actually arguing that players repeat games with the same frequency that they do music?

English is a Germanic language.
And so is Dutch. And Afrikaans. In the article, it says "German-speaking countries", which would be Germany, Switzerland (parts) and Austria. Germanic speaking countries is a much bigger group.

English has by far the most non-Germanic derived vocabulary out of any Germanic language, though.

Physical will be an option primarily online in limited capacity. It won’t vanish but it will be a hobbyist thing in the future. No one in my generation really buys disc. Digital is far more convient to us

Rykan

?? I think he was getting at the fact that a CD of an album you like will be played hundreds of times over the years, significantly increasing the value per dollar over a game that you might play a few times through at max. Or are you actually arguing that players repeat games with the same frequency that they do music?
Oh come on. With how many albums you buy are you actually going to be doing that? You might have a few favorites, but you're not going to be listening to all of them that many times. Playing through a game is already significantly longer than an album.

Even if we go by a short game of 8 hours or so, you'd have to go through the entire album at least 10 times to match just one playthrough. Nevermind the fact that a lot of games, if not most of them, are much longer than that.

I think this whole point is rather redundant, because I don't believe that any of you genuinely still buy most of your music on CDs, instead of a streaming service or even youtube.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Oh god, this reminds me of this absolute gem of a post.

2XiQ5cO.png

Games aren't music. If you're buying a CD and listening to it once you're an alien.

Robb

Gold Member
Well we’re at the point where you can buy a “physical” game and all you get in the box is a code to download it from an online store.. might as well just not have a physical box at all then.

DaGwaphics

Oh come on. With how many albums you buy are you actually going to be doing that? You might have a few favorites, but you're not going to be listening to all of them that many times. Playing a few through at max is already significantly longer than an album.

Even if we go by a short game of 8 hours or so, you'd have to play through the entire album at least 10 times to match just one playthrough. Nevermind the fact that a lot of games, if not most of them, are much longer than that.

I think this whole point is rather redundant, because I don't believe that any of you genuinely still buy most of your music on CDs, instead of a streaming service or even youtube.

You clearly purchased music in a different way than I did when I was still buying CDs. I can comfortably say that I probably heard 75% of the CDs I bought at least 100 times if not more, I typically didn't buy CDs unless I knew that I liked most of the content on there. Sure there are exceptions, but there are exceptions with games as well. DVDs and BRs you'd have a point where I'm concerned, because I'm not one to re-watch movies over and over again. Thus, I never had a big DVD collection. It's all subjective.

With that said, music isn't something that loses it's allure once you know how things end. There is no suspense factor. I think it's safe to assume that music CDs get replayed more than story based games on average.

Judging by what MS considers rare achievements and the achievement statistics you see from the aggregators tons of people buy games and never even finish them once, let alone multiple times.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Judging by what MS considers rare achievements and the achievement statistics you see from the aggregators tons of people buy games and never even finish them once, let alone multiple times.

This is the key thing that so many people on this forum don't understand, because they're using a video game enthusiast forum, so are way more likely to do so themselves:

The majority of people do not finish single player games they buy more than once.

As quoted, tons of people don't even finish them once.

Flutta

Banned
In the end, we will all regret this all-digital era. I don't believe you will ever own a game that you buy digitally.
I find it disturbing and disgusting that we have people here or elsewhere who are actively Championing the loss of ownership.
There’s no denying that an all digital future will have some serious consequences. Only a low-iq corpo worshiper can’t see that and there’s alot of them out there sadly.

Comandr

In the end, we will all regret this all-digital era. I don't believe you will ever own a game that you buy digitally.
Angry Harrison Ford GIF

Calla Duty shows the flaw in this argument. The physical disc is only 70MB that points you to a download. I suspect more physical games will go that way. Sell you a disc with almost nothing on it or a box with a slip inside that says okay now download the thing.

So you own the disc. You own the box. In this dystopian future where all the servers are shut down you still can’t play the fuckin game because there’s nothing on the disc anyway.

What about games that won’t work without either being updated or won’t work on your given firmware.

Nothing is forever. Food is meant to be consumed. The tires on your car wear out. Even consoles, CDs and cartridges suffer from rot and become unusable. Things just wear out. And that’s okay. So what is ownership anyway? Bragging rights? My “ownership” of my crusty old copy of Earthbound doesn’t do me any fuckin good if I can’t play it on anything.

It’s okay to just enjoy the thing in its time, and when you can’t enjoy it any more, you still have the memory of it. Clinging to physical media of any kind and refusing to ever let it go is just a form of hoarding.

Cyborg

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

Calla Duty shows the flaw in this argument. The physical disc is only 70MB that points you to a download. I suspect more physical games will go that way. Sell you a disc with almost nothing on it or a box with a slip inside that says okay now download the thing.

So you own the disc. You own the box. In this dystopian future where all the servers are shut down you still can’t play the fuckin game because there’s nothing on the disc anyway.

What about games that won’t work without either being updated or won’t work on your given firmware.

Nothing is forever. Food is meant to be consumed. The tires on your car wear out. Even consoles, CDs and cartridges suffer from rot and become unusable. Things just wear out. And that’s okay. So what is ownership anyway? Bragging rights? My “ownership” of my crusty old copy of Earthbound doesn’t do me any fuckin good if I can’t play it on anything.

It’s okay to just enjoy the thing in its time, and when you can’t enjoy it any more, you still have the memory of it. Clinging to physical media of any kind and refusing to ever let it go is just a form of hoarding.
It's the same problem! It's not about the disk, it's what's on it! Activision doing this with MW2 is a d*ck move.

ViperZombie

Neo Member
I can't get the constant arguing about physical vs digital you have the option to buy which ever suits you, if physical sales are removed you will have no options most of these companies will probably never put their games on sale because on console you are trapped in said companies eco system.

I purchase physical where I can and regularly get my games much cheaper than my brother who is all digital even when it comes to launch day. Not to mention if a game is trash or just not to my taste, I can trade it towards credit or other games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I can't get the constant arguing about physical vs digital you have the option to buy which ever suits you, if physical sales are removed you will have no options most of these companies will probably never put their games on sale because on console you are trapped in said companies eco system.

I purchase physical where I can and regularly get my games much cheaper than my brother who is all digital even when it comes to launch day. Not to mention if a game is trash or just not to my taste, I can trade it towards credit or other games.
I think the counter to one of your points (pricing) is that Steam dominates PC gaming. And PC gaming as a whole hasnt had discs in probably 10 years aside from key hits. Yet, Steam still has low prices and giant deals. And it was still true even before Epic joined in doing PC games as a competing launcher.

So if Steam can keep doing deals, why would console makers going full digital stop doing discounts.

AV

It's pretty ironic that you'd choose to use Call of Duty here when they're still charging £50-60 digitally to anyone who wants to play the Modern Warfare 2019 campaign. I'd love to hear the defence for that one.

eBay? I can get it for PS4 for under £10... and then sell it on afterwards. You couldn't have picked a worse example if you tried.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Fuuuuuuuuuuu
Physical gaming is the last bastion of some ownership. We will own everything digitally or in the subs soon and have no say on it at all.
We will pay the price they want in their store, not be able to buy/sell, not be able to unpatch or play offline... man...
I have tons of game on steam but I still find comfort in physical media

Top Bottom