• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA to stop selling physical games in Germanic speaking countries

ViperZombie

Neo Member
I think the counter to one of your points (pricing) is that Steam dominates PC gaming. And PC gaming as a whole hasnt had discs in probably 10 years aside from key hits. Yet, Steam still has low prices and giant deals. And it was still true even before Epic joined in doing PC games as a competing launcher.

So if Steam can keep doing deals, why would console makers going full digital stop doing discounts.

I did think of that but there are about a million sites selling pc keys at varying prices which steam has to compete with, do you think Sony and Nintendo are going to follow suit if you have no options available to you.

Haggard

Banned
If you can't actually be bothered to back up your arguments, then what are you even doing on a discussion board?
Ownership is not an "argument" you have to back up. If you don`t understand the concept of ownership then you`re not worth talking to.
A typical cd album is what 30-45 minutes in length for about 15$? That's significantly less value per dollar than an 80$ game.
Rationalize your rights away, put a price on them, fantastic idea......

I can`t believe how stupid some consumers have become.

Last edited:

Comandr

It's pretty ironic that you'd choose to use Call of Duty here when they're still charging £50-60 digitally to anyone who wants to play the Modern Warfare 2019 campaign. I'd love to hear the defence for that one.

eBay? I can get it for PS4 for under £10... and then sell it on afterwards. You couldn't have picked a worse example if you tried.
My argument is about “ownership” and preservation. Pricing isn’t being discussed here. If you want to be a miser that’s your business. Buy the game digitally when it’s on sale. Buy it from a third party like GMG or cdkeys or whatever. There are definitely ways to get the product cheaper. Isthereanydeal.com is a great resource.

You seem pretty satisfied with buying second hand and not giving the developers ANY money which I would argue is the most destructive path, and then turning around and reselling it so you can enjoy their hard work for next to nothing while also paying them nothing.

You could not have picked a worse example if you tried.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The fact that this has (may have?) been disproven doesn‘t mean this isn’t the plan for a near future.

I love the people who go “losing access to my digital games doesn’t bother me as I never replay games”, except they’ve bought TLOU 3 times and several copies of GTAV (but hey, they bought them digitally!).
Imagine this bright future when your license for a game expires after a given period and if you want to replay the game, you’ll have to buy it again at whatever price the publisher has set for digital re-buys.

And LOL, L-O-L, EL OH EL at the people debating the “value for dollar” of games vs music.
You’re far more likely to consume 100% of a CD vs a game that, as it’s been said already, most people won’t even finish once. You’re also more likely to listen to that CD for more hours than your average game lasts. And while there’s a chance a music album may get some long-lasting fame and recognition, your favorite game of today won’t leave even a smear in culture history, especially if its publisher decides to retire it forever or copyright hell prevents it to be sold after a certain point in time. How’s that for value for dollar, again?

DaGwaphics

I love the people who go “losing access to my digital games doesn’t bother me as I never replay games”, except they’ve bought TLOU 3 times and several copies of GTAV (but hey, they bought them digitally!).
Imagine this bright future when your license for a game expires after a given period and if you want to replay the game, you’ll have to buy it again at whatever price the publisher has set for digital re-buys.

Well, you can imagine anything. I could imagine that game disks start being created that self destruct after you finish playing them once, but that doesn't make it any more realistic.

PC has been almost entirely digital for how many years now and I still have access to everything I've purchased on Steam. Even when things get delisted they generally stay in your library, with very few exceptions. The bigger risk for losing access to digital games is the storefront closing (Stadia) or the games themselves requiring online checks that eventually can't be completed. Loss of ability for resale is another legit concern. Other than that though you have to start thinking about things that have never happened yet to find other shortcomings, IMO.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
My argument is about “ownership” and preservation. Pricing isn’t being discussed here. If you want to be a miser that’s your business. Buy the game digitally when it’s on sale. Buy it from a third party like GMG or cdkeys or whatever. There are definitely ways to get the product cheaper. Isthereanydeal.com is a great resource.

You seem pretty satisfied with buying second hand and not giving the developers ANY money which I would argue is the most destructive path, and then turning around and reselling it so you can enjoy their hard work for next to nothing while also paying them nothing.

You could not have picked a worse example if you tried.

Fair enough, you weren't talking about price specifically. Just a bit hard to ignore in the broader context of the topic, the concept of ownership kinda goes hand-in-hand with the pricing of said thing-to-own.

And the pricing is the reason I AM giving more developers money. Do you know what I spend my money on when I don't give £60 of it to Activision to play their 6 hour shooter campaign from 3 years ago? PC copies of games from devs that actually need the money - because as you already know, there's an actual marketplace for those goods. I just grabbed Cult of the Lamb and Trombone Champ for less than half of MW19 and I still have more money to spend on more games.

That's the issue for me. I don't want to blow my gaming budget on one thing which turns out to be rubbish with no option to get rid of that thing. Game Pass, fine, it's a service and I have 200 other things to try on there for the same price. Steam? 2 hour refund window. But we all know the big three console boys aren't gonna swing that way and if I'd paid £60 for Horizon 2 at launch I'd be fucking bummed.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Unless the game requires online authentication even once, and 10 years after the game is released EA turns off authentication servers.

Sure, with that caveat.

With so much content being online based, physical is starting to not be much different tbh.

Untitled-1.jpg

You also make a good point, but...

What's that game on the left? The cover is bitching.

A.Romero

Sure, with that caveat.

You also make a good point, but...

What's that game on the left? The cover is bitching.
Babylon Fall

I want options. I do digital on PC because there is usually community support but I've been burned by Microsoft early store efforts. Steam has been good so far.

For PS5 I go for physical.

I have a few hundred discs but not sure which still work but still, I rather have the option that just being forced to use one particular channel.

one step closer to an all digital future and some people still refuse to believe it is happening. physical is dying. next gen will likely be digital only. both sony + microsoft have been warming people up to an all digital future.

they should stop releasing physical games in all countries.

i, for one, welcome the digital future. bring it on!
We will see a full digital period but in the end there will be a physical comeback for enthusiasts just like the music industry. Nothing actually dies, just evolve.
Well, digital licenses actually expire so something will eventually die.

Klayzer

physical copy is not 100% ownership, what makes you think that digital is the "future"? it will be worse.
You basically giving up ownership and tell the corporation to charge you for nothing, its stupid.
Never doubt the laziness and stupidity of people. Why do you think these schemes work in the first place.

Rykan

Ownership is not an "argument" you have to back up. If you don`t understand the concept of ownership then you`re not worth talking to.
Then quit responding to my posts.
Rationalize your rights away, put a price on them, fantastic idea......
You are literally the one who brought up price.
I can`t believe how stupid some consumers have become.
Because these "Ownership rights" that you keep talking about have no actual value in this specific context. I've had my steam account for nearly twenty years. I've had permanent access to every game I've purchased over that entire time, and they will be available to me for the next twenty years. In fact, thanks to digital distribution, I have easy access to video games that were released years ago, as opposed to physical media where there is extremely little shelve space available, and most games will only be available for a limited amount of time.

Why should I be concerned about "Ownership rights" when the entire history of the video game media is available to me in digital format right now? What are you going to do? Spend 300$ on a "rare" SNES cartridge because it was only available in limited quantities for 6 months?

Oh and for the people who responded to my post asking if you still buy CD's: You are very much in the minority.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
There's no current disadvantage to you personally of other people being able to purchase games physically. Actively wanting that choice to be removed from everyone so they're forced to pay fixed storefront prices is corporate cock sucking of the highest order. Baffling.
Seriously. The digital sycophants disgust me, and their position makes no logical sense. There are plenty of times when a game stops being available digitally, or the disc version is cheaper than digital in a sale. Like, buy digital if you want. But why do you people seem obsessed with imposing it on everyone else?

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
With so much content being online based, physical is starting to not be much different tbh.

Untitled-1.jpg
I don't know about the others, but you can still play DriveClub and LittleBigPlanet single-player campaigns. I don't expect servers to last forever. But I do like being able to continue to play the games I own, even if it's only single-player after the servers come down.

Rykan

You’re far more likely to consume 100% of a CD vs a game that, as it’s been said already, most people won’t even finish once
You're more likely to consume the entirety of a CD because it's only like 30 minutes long. Saying most people don't finish their games just isn't a very strong argument. For one, the content you've purchased is right there. Whether you choose to engage with it or not is entirely up to you. Second, and more importantly: Those figures are very distorted. A lot of these statistics are based on completion achievements and trophies.

Problem is: They take anyone into account who has ever accessed the game, and these numbers are distorted. This includes people who bought the game used. Rented it. Borrowed from a friend. Accessed it through gamepass/PS Plus. People who only play a game for the multiplayer aspect. People who simply don't like the game they've purchased.
. You’re also more likely to listen to that CD for more hours than your average game lasts.
This is an assumption and one that I don't agree with. There's a few albums that you'll be very fond of that you might play over and over again, but I really doubt people spend 10 - 15 hours listening to every single album they've purchased. On top of that, Average Game length isn't a very useful statistic. There are plenty of people who spend hundreds of hours on just the multiplayer of a Call of Duty game. An open world game like Assassin's Creed or Skyrim can easily contain anywhere from 50 to 100 hours or more of gameplay. It's hard to argue about a value per dollar in favor of Music Albums with those numbers.
And while there’s a chance a music album may get some long-lasting fame and recognition, your favorite game of today won’t leave even a smear in culture history, especially if its publisher decides to retire it forever or copyright hell prevents it to be sold after a certain point in time. How’s that for value for dollar, again?
Ehh I'm not really sure where you're going with this one bro, lol.

Haggard

Banned
Then quit responding to my posts. I have very little patience for this infantile nonsense.

You are literally the one who brought up price.

Because these "Ownership rights" that you keep talking about have no actual value in this specific context. I've had my steam account for nearly twenty years. I've had permanent access to every game I've purchased over that entire time, and they will be available to me for the next twenty years. In fact, thanks to digital distribution, I have easy access to video games that were released years ago, as opposed to physical media where there is extremely little shelve space available, and most games will only be available for a limited amount of time.

Why should I be concerned about "Ownership rights" when the entire history of the video game media is available to me in digital format right now? What are you going to do? Spend 300$ on a "rare" SNES cartridge because it was only available in limited quantities for 6 months?
Try selling one of those digital products you "bought".

Paying full asking price for a product and happily announcing that "ownership has no value" must be about the most retarded, most idiotic...most internet board thing I´ve read in a while.

Last edited:

EDMIX

My 4K bluray 2 pack of Top Gun and Top Gun: Maverick (with digital copies, to boot) is scheduled to arrive Saturday.

respect. More companies need to do this.

Many that um...."obtain" content like this digitally do so for convivence. I'm sure more then enough would actually just buy this type of content if more made an effort to do this.

This reminds me of Ubisoft when the used to have that DRM shit in their games lol

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Why should I be concerned
And there we are. You've already read in the thread that possible solutions could exist that are beneficial to everyone, including yourself if ever needed, but here you are advocating against if for some unknown reason other than 'I'

Bravo 👍

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
And some people are still dreaming that Sony allow them to play their original PS1 and PS2 discs on the PS5.
Sony would rather come to your house, confiscate your original discs and burn them in your backyard if they could, my friends.

Rykan

Try selling one of those digital products you "bought".

Paying full asking price for a product and happily announcing that "ownership has no value" must be about the most retarded, most idiotic...most internet board thing I´ve read in a while.
I don't need to sell one of those digital products. I don't sell the games I've played. Just like I don't sell the clothes I've worn, the books I've read or the movies I've watched. Go ahead and keep up with your petty insults. It's not going to change anything. Most music is purchased and accessed digitally. The same goes for movies or tv shows, and games will soon be no different. Most people don't care about "ownership" as long as they can access the content they want access to.

And there we are. You've already read in the thread that possible solutions could exist that are beneficial to everyone, including yourself if ever needed, but here you are advocating against if for some unknown reason other than 'I'

Bravo 👍
At no point in this entire thread have I advocated against physical media or spoken in favor of the discontinuation thereof. What I have advocated against is the notion that "We will all regret this all digital era", when most people are evidently totally fine with this.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
I don't need to sell one of those digital products. I don't sell the games I've played. Just like I don't sell the clothes I've worn, the books I've read or the movies I've watched. Go ahead and keep up with your petty insults. It's not going to change anything. Most music is purchased and accessed digitally. The same goes for movies or tv shows, and games will soon be no different. Most people don't care about "ownership" as long as they can access the content they want access to.
So your one and only argument is "my personal preferences fit that system".
and you extrapolate and generalize from that that everyone should and will be happy with having less and less rights about products they pay for.

You´re the dumbest possible consumer there is.

Last edited:

Rykan

So your one and only argument is "my personal preferences fit that system".
No, My "One and only" argument is that most people feel that way, as is evident by the fact that most video content and most music is consumed digitally. CD sales and DVD/Bluray sales are only a fraction of what they once were.

The vast majority of people simply don't care to physically own the media content they consume, so the notion that "We will all regret it" is wrong.

Haggard

Banned
No, My "One and only" argument is that most people feel that way
And obviously a ton of people enjoy watching the Kardashians. Should we henceforth assume that stuff like that must therefore be "good".
Jesus Christ.......If you don`t realize yourself how utterly moronic that "argument" is..........

Last edited:

Rykan

And obviously a ton of people enjoy watching the Kardashians. Should we henceforth assume that stuff like that must therefore be "good".

Jesus Christ.......
The initial argument to which I responded was: "We will ALL regret it", which is clearly not true if most people already consume their media digitally. Perhaps you should read replies in context instead of screeching at everyone that thinks about media consumption differently than you do.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
The initial argument to which I responded was: "We will ALL regret it", which is clearly not true if most people already consume their media digitally. Perhaps you should read replies in context instead of screeching at everyone that thinks about media consumption differently than you do.
You obviously don`t think at all about how you consume or you wouldn`t just argue that lot of people are retarded anyways and therefore we will not "all" regret it, semantically speaking.......
I seriously have no Idea how I could make this "discussion" any dumber, even if I tried.

Last edited:

Rykan

You obviously don`t think at all about how you consume or you wouldn`t just argue that lot of people are retared anyways and therefore we will not "all" regret it, semantically speaking.......
I seriously have no Idea how I could make this "discussion" any dumber, even if I tried.
Oh trust me: You really don't have to worry about making this discussion any dumber. We've already hit rock bottom with your infantile screeching of insults in every single one of your posts because someone has the audacity of having a different opinion than you do.

I do think about how I consume media. In fact, I've elaborated on this more than once in this thread. Your contribution to this "discussion" is limited to :"Hurdur you're not worth responding to, and you're dumb and retarded". You have very little to contribute to this discussion besides insults.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Oh trust me: You really don't have to worry about making this discussion any dumber. We've already hit rock bottom with your infantile screeching of insults in every single one of your posts because someone has the audacity of having a different opinion than you do.
Infantile ...that`s rich coming from someone who doesn`t even understand the concept of ownership, even calls it worthless, which in fact explains the abomination you call an "opinion". "A billion flies can`t err, eat shit"..........:messenger_poop:
I think the kids call someone like you a "sheep".
It`s time I remember my initial and obviously correct assumption that every second talking to you is a second wasted and just put you on ignore.

Last edited:

Rykan

Infantile ...that`s rich coming from a moron who doesn`t even understand the concept of ownership, even calls it worthless, which in fact explains the abomination you call an "opinion".
I think the kids call someone like you a "sheep".
You're going on ignore. Goodbye.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
At no point in this entire thread have I advocated against physical media or spoken in favor of the discontinuation thereof. What I have advocated against is the notion that "We will all regret this all digital era", when most people are evidently totally fine with this.
We could end up regretting it, more than you think. Once a company has full control of a digital only version of anything, they are well within their rights to do as they see fit and you'll have zero recourse. You only have to look at what Rockstar has been up to over the years or Netflix and other streaming services do on the weekly (Deny you access to what was available the previous week..)

Microsoft out right took Dreamfall from me on the 360, a total denial of access, could never redownload it

Driver SF, bought the digital on the 360, could never access it when it went BC on the X1. Just as well I had the disc..

A few personal cases, i'm sure there are more.

Truth be told there should be no one advocating this stuff in any form if they enjoy products they spend money on. Steams great an all, but that service utterly screwed the physical and second hand PC gaming market.

Totally up to you what you think is easier or better for you but as a whole taking something away in any form in this sense will never be a good thing in the long run.

0neAnd0nly

one step closer to an all digital future and some people still refuse to believe it is happening. physical is dying. next gen will likely be digital only. both sony + microsoft have been warming people up to an all digital future.

they should stop releasing physical games in all countries.

i, for one, welcome the digital future. bring it on!

Quick ?

When a game gets yanked due to licensing issues, royalty issues, etc. (like we have seen with Forza, Godzilla, etc) and it’s only available digitally…

What is your option?

The entire art piece ceases to exist? No way to get it, something that took hundreds of hours of sculpting - gone for good!

And at least when companies don’t have to pay for packaging and materials, surely they will be cheaper and run more deals, right?! Oh… wait…

So much big corporate monopoly gargling in here these days. YUCK.

What an exciting future!

Last edited:
I don't really buy any EA games anymore but if they did this in Australia then I'd be out of their circle for good. I don't like paying RRP for my digital games, thanks EA.

Top Bottom