• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA SPORTS PGA TOUR | Official Teaser Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Experience EA SPORTS PGA TOUR worldwide on March 24th.

EA SPORTS™ PGA TOUR™ is the exclusive home of the Majors, including the Masters Tournament, the PGA Championship™, the U.S. Open Championship™, and The Open.

Powered by official PGA TOUR ShotLink® and TrackMan data, Pure Strike gives golf fans all the tools they need to realistically attack every hole on every course the same way the pros do. It incorporates the three parts of every golf shot—fluid swing mechanics that are highly accurate to a player’s backswing length and speed of follow through, innovative ball behavior allowing every bounce and roll to behave more accurately across a variety of terrain and course conditions, and lifelike course dynamics that play true to their real-life course counterparts.

Compete in the PGA TOUR's best events in the season-long chase for the FedExCup. Conquer the top Amateur Championships including the Augusta National Women's Amateur, the U.S. Amateur, and other elite international amateur events. Stay tuned for our Deep Dive on all our Courses coming in February.

There’s only one place to experience it all.

anthraticus

Banned
Is this only analog swinging ? Not a fan of that and only play the 3 click systems with the meter when it comes to golf games.

Matt_Fox

this is next gen only? kinda suprised

Yes indeed - next gen only, nice!

We had that crappy Rory McIlroy title in 2015 and the lukewarm 2K Golf games but I like the look of all the improvements and think this could be a return to form with EA.

Rac3r

Graphics look fantastic, huge upgrade over 2K. Me and three of my friends used to group up and play 2k most weekends, but we got bored of it eventually. I could see us playing this instead if the gameplay reviews well.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Looks great, be amazing if we could tie this in with 3rd party simulation device with real club and camera.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

EA Sports PGA Tour will have 28 real-life and 2 fantasy courses for a total of 30 beautiful golf courses at launch each offering a variety of gameplay and visual features. Captured state-of-the-art technologies like photogrammetry scanning, drone tech, and survey-grade GPS, each location is properly and precisely rendered in Frostbite engine. EA Sports PGA Tour launches on March 24 for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series S|X, and PC.

GruntosUK

I'm so pleased that they brought the classic mechanics back, we played the GameCube versions for god knows how many hours. This might be an Xbox and Steam Deck purchase

Last edited:
EA Sports PGA Tour release has now been pushed back to April 7th, according to one of the devs 'this allows us to add a few final touches to the game that we are very excited to deliver to all of you, including updates to some favorite courses to reflect 2023 designs.' I'm hoping what they're really doing is scrambling to get a 60 FPS performance mode option into the game for the consoles.

There was quite a backlash for the community to the announcement that the game was going to be capped at 30 FPS on the XBox Series X/S and the PS5 and I think they're trying to put that fire out. I don't care if they have to cut the resolution back to 1080p to achieve 60 FPS, I'm all for it. A tempo dependent golf game that only gives the user 30 FPS of feedback during the swing is not a good formula, IMO.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

From becoming a major champion to earning a grand slam title, to even winning the FedExCup and more, you’ll be able to experience what it is like to compete each week in golf’s biggest events with Career Mode.

You’ll start your journey by customizing your golfer’s appearance with a variety of visual customizations, equipment options, and swing styles to choose from. You can control your golfer’s swing style by selecting their swing animation, swing tempo, preferred shot shape, and ball trajectory throughout your career. After you’ve perfected your look on-course, you’ll be able to control where you want to start your career - as an amateur in one of the top amateur events, on the Korn Ferry Tour, or the PGA TOUR

EA SPORTS PGA TOUR Career Mode uses an RPG style of progression where you’ll be able to build your golfer’s skill set over time as you put in playing hours. You can earn XP and skill points in the categories of power, driving, approach, short game and putting where you’ll be able to unlock new shot types and upgrade them from bronze to silver to gold and more.

Experience the authentic storytelling waiting for you in Career Mode and more in EA SPORTS PGA TOUR!

Nydius

For the first time in a very long time, I’m actually looking forward to a golf game. If their hype about the level of detail is even 75% accurate, this could be amazing.

I really tried to play The Golf Club (and its later renamed “PGA2K”) iterations but I always found them lacking. I’m looking forward to this the same way I looked forward to new Links LS courses coming out back in the day.

hollams

Gold Member
Tried to play on PC at lunch but it has the same issue every EA Sports game has had for over 3 years. For some reason the game wants to launch into Dolby Vision mode instead of regular HDR so the game will not display on LG OLED TVs'. I tried turning off HDR in Windows but it still enables it when the game launches and all you get is a black screen. All versions of Madden has done this as well and had to wait for a patch to fix the issue. This has happened for the last 3 years so you would think they would fix this in their engine by now but apparently not.

Catphish

I have Play Pro for PC, and have put probably about 7 or 8 hours into the game so far.

My PC specs:
i9 10900K stock
RTX 3080 10GB
32GB RAM

I don't have a lot of time, so I'll keep it simple and give 5 good and 5 bad impressions....

Positives:

1. Game is frickin gorgeous. Without a doubt the prettiest golf game ever made. Aside from a few inconsistently dropped frames on fly-bys and ball follows, it's smooth as glass. Playing some of the coastal holes is sweet therapy. I did notice a couple of small texture issues, but nothing major and almost not worth mentioning.

2. Sounds are great. The ocean, the birds, the ambient sounds... all wonderful. Like the graphics, therapeutic. I also love how the crowd hushes when you're ready to shoot. Nice touch.

3. Overall, the presentation is really good. I mean *really* good. It looks and sounds like a modern PGA game should, which lends a strong sense of authenticity. Very attractive.

4. Gameplay is, overall, very good. Now that I've spent some time with it, and improved my golfer's accuracy skills a bit, I find it has a nice balance. Challenging, but fair. I play on the hardest difficulty, with all aids turned off except the power meter. All is not perfect, however. Far from it.

5. A proper career mode with real major tournments, with adjustable AI difficulty before you start a tournament. I truly appreciate this.

Bonus: When I was 18, the original PGA Tour for Sega Genesis was released. I *loved* that game, and readily recall how much I thought about it when I wasn't playing it. It was something I always wanted to get back to whenever possible, and it actually got me interested in real golf. Same with TW14, which I consider to be the best golf game ever made. At the height of it, it's all I wanted to play. And when this new game is firing on all cylinders, it gives me the same feeling those older games did. It makes me want to play as much, and as often, as I can.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always fire on all cylinders and, in some ways, feels like it's half-baked, and simply not ready for release. In others, it feels completely at odds with the authenticity established by the presentation.

Negatives:

1. No mouse swing. On a PC golf game? This is just patently ridiculous, especially considering the pedigree of TW games on the PC. I know 3C is coming, but something tells me mouse swing isn't. And I am equal parts angry and stupefied.

2. Shot feedback does not always equal what happens on a shot. Far too often, probably around 1 in 5 shots, a shot will go errant, to varying degrees, while the feedback shows everything was good. Or, conversely, feedback will show trouble, but the shot sails along fine. Maybe there's something about the game I don't understand, but I'm not making the connection in these circumstances. If it's a mild error, it's frustrating. When it costs me a stroke or two, it's infuriating.

3. I honestly don't understand how the factors affecting a shot's timing work, or the effects they actually have. If I overswing, what does that do? If my shot is slow or fast, what does that do? What causes the ball (in the feedback on the bottom right) to wobble while it's in flight? I think I've found a correlation between the wobble and a resulting hook/slice, but I still don't know what causes it, or how to avoid it.

4. The triple-bogey pickup (you cannot shoot higher than 3-over on any hole. The game just ends your turn and moves on to the next hole). Seriously, man. What. The. F***. Is. This. Bulls***!? I could see this as a welcomed option in multiplayer with randoms, as a way to thwart griefers who just want to knock the ball around and waste everyone's time, but a forced feature? In single player mode? In *career*!? In *tournaments*!? That has no business whatsoever in single-player play but, if it has to exist, it needs to be an option. If that isn't either patched out or patched into an option, I will stop playing this game. I mean it. If lack of mouse swing isn't a gamekiller for me (it's real close), this triple-bogey bs definitely is.

5. As far as I can tell, there's no alternate turns in multiplayer, not even in private matches. Every one shoots simultaneously. When my friends and I play, we like to watch each other shoot. But at the moment, we can't. This needs to be made an option, or we won't be playing it.

Bonus: I have to unlock the ability to putt from the fringe? WTF?

There's a great game in here, if EA is willing to put the time in to chisel off the nonsense, and polish the potential. But as it stands, I can't give it higher than a 5/10. It sucks, in spite of its strong positives.

You know, I just don't get EA. These jackasses literally made the best golf game of all time 10 years ago. All they have to do is update it. Modernize it. But, for whatever reason, they are now incapable of producing real quality, it seems, even when they already have.

I'll be watching to see what EA patches and acknowledges in the days and weeks to come. I still have Play Pro for like another 5 months. That's exactly how long I'll give it. EA has been a major disappointment to me this past year, and PGA was my final consideration. If it still sucks in September, I won't be renewing Play Pro.

TheShocker

Played a couple hours so far. Swing mechanics seem “off”. They aren’t bad, but the stick swing just doesn’t seem as reactive as it should be. Especially compared to 2k23.

I feel like it’s a more technical game compared to 2k as well, and it looks downright gorgeous.

5/10 is a little rough, I’d say around a 7/10 and could easily be a 9/10 if EA makes some necessary and quick adjustments to the game play.

30fps is irrelevant as that’s what I play 2k on, but a 60fps mode could be nice whenever it releases.

Nydius

Played a couple hours so far. Swing mechanics seem “off”. They aren’t bad, but the stick swing just doesn’t seem as reactive as it should be. Especially compared to 2k23.

I feel like it’s a more technical game compared to 2k as well, and it looks downright gorgeous.
This is my opinion as well after putting in about 4 hours of the 10 hour EA Play trial.

I would also add that the menus feel very sluggish for some reason and I think there are far too many of them. Trying to navigate around to do simple things like changing outfits is a bit of a pain.

Swinging just doesn’t feel right at all and the shot setup system feels pretty laggy too. But damn if the courses aren’t beautiful.

Top Bottom