• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA SPORTS FC, the Next Chapter of the World’s Game announced

Aenima

They need a better acronym for the game. Fifa just worked, EASFC seems like someone just droped they face in the keyboard and thats what came out. Maybe ppl will stick to EA FC.

mhirano

Canada is similar.

There's a big laundry list why soccer will never be super popular in US/Canada like in other parts of the world. But to me, the #1 reason is total boredom.

If youre a kid and get brought up with soccer and only soccer, then ya it's all you kind of know.

When youre a kid and get exposed to football, baseball, basketball, hockey, racing, watersports, winter sports, golf, MMA, hell even sitting on the couch like a lazy ass and watching WWE etc.... soccer gets dumped down the toilet. But there's still lots of people who play or follow European leagues.

It's funny because for lots of kids (me too), soccer is something parents put you in during elementary school for fun. And it's dirt cheap and all you got to do is run around and kick a ball. My dad signed me up for summer soccer for $40/yr, and my mom bought me cleats and shin guards. Thats it. Kids got a free team jersey.

Now try getting billions of kids growing up playing ice hockey where you need lots of rinks year round to practice, expensive gear head to toe and you got to learn how to skate. Number of kids who did it? Hardly any. Skewed heavy to countries with winter and lots of community rinks and youth leagues.
yVHxcnG.jpg

Azurro

Banned
It’s like how rugby is abbreviated as rugger.

I love how there's always someone doing ACHSTUALLY every single time football is brought up, along with the classics "mah boring" and "rolling on the ground". The best part is that it's always from silly americans that spend their entire time at Ford dealerships trying to get big trucks that they can't afford and counting down for 8 months or whatever between each season of sports that they are barely invested in because they happen to happen in their city.

The world's game is football, that's how it works. If a thread is about concussion handegg, we'll let you know. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

HxRY65z.jpg

Sensible Soccer has some spiritual successors in development, but that's quite different.
That image there is exactly what ruined competition in Footy games from something like 20 studios working on different games - just in the UK in the 80s and 90s.

What type of football gaming aficionado cares about how the facial animations look - I presume they are from E-footy and that picture was to smear the competition - when the bulk of the gameplay is playing from a left-right in wide stadium view with no sign of such visuals?

People that are genuinely great a ISS/WE/PES are too busy playing to care if the approximation of their favourite character looks right in the cutscene - that they are pressing desperately to skip to get back to the gameplay.

Sad times, the death of PES 2021 update from Konami still breaks my heart as someone that loves great footy games and mostly footy sims, but with none available in the market. E-football is a better clone of Fifa IMHO, but neither is worth my time, license or not.

I really wish Konami had stuck it out with their PES game engine for this day when EA was finally on level ground with them. Without the FIFA license PES would finally win over hordes of players from a de-badged EA footy by - the only thing that should have ever have mattered in a footy game IMO - gameplay.

danklord

Gold Member
You know they have stressed over this name for YEARS and that's what they went with. Wish they'd post what didn't make it.

Can't be a logo swap FIFA 24. It needs to be completely different or a revolutionary step up imo. If there are the same canned animations or camera angles it'll be hilarious.

That image there is exactly what ruined competition in Footy games from something like 20 studios working on different games - just in the UK in the 80s and 90s.

What type of football gaming aficionado cares about how the facial animations look - I presume they are from E-footy and that picture was to smear the competition - when the bulk of the gameplay is playing from a left-right in wide stadium view with no sign of such visuals?

People that are genuinely great a ISS/WE/PES are too busy playing to care if the approximation of their favourite character looks right in the cutscene - that they are pressing desperately to skip to get back to the gameplay.

Sad times, the death of PES 2021 update from Konami still breaks my heart as someone that loves great footy games and mostly footy sims, but with none available in the market. E-football is a better clone of Fifa IMHO, but neither is worth my time, license or not.

I really wish Konami had stuck it out with their PES game engine for this day when EA was finally on level ground with them. Without the FIFA license PES would finally win over hordes of players from a de-badged EA footy by - the only thing that should have ever have mattered in a footy game IMO - gameplay.

I think the drama and glamour of football are a huge part of its success and right now FIFA and Football Manager are the only ones who emulate it.
FIFA also offers a fantastic casual experience, which is another thing that made real football huge. Anyone can live out their football fantasies in it.

calistan

I love how there's always someone doing ACHSTUALLY every single time football is brought up, along with the classics "mah boring" and "rolling on the ground". The best part is that it's always from silly americans that spend their entire time at Ford dealerships trying to get big trucks that they can't afford and counting down for 8 months or whatever between each season of sports that they are barely invested in because they happen to happen in their city.

The world's game is football, that's how it works. If a thread is about concussion handegg, we'll let you know. :messenger_sunglasses:
But I am English.

SirTerry-T

Same around Indiana you can go to youth soccer fields on the weekends and there are tons of little kids enrolled and the fields are full.

But the older they get the more they move on to other sports

I have been to all manners of high school sports and you go to a high level soccer game and its mostly families of the kids playing with open seats everywhere.

You go to a Friday night football game and almost any boys basketball game even through the week and you better get there early or its standing room only

And I 100% agree Soccer (to me) is total boredom as I would rather watch grass grow then a 0-0 game get decided on penalty kicks
You should watch the last World Cup Final. Nothing has come close to that for sporting drama in recent years.

PaintTinJr

I think the drama and glamour of football are a huge part of its success and right now FIFA and Football Manager are the only ones who emulate it.
FIFA also offers a fantastic casual experience, which is another thing that made real football huge. Anyone can live out their football fantasies in it.
I'll agree it is part of it, but a small part of it compared to the gameplay of a videogame. Gaming isn't a passive hobby, everyone has to play the games to get their entertainment even on basic mobile games.

Gameplay alone can and has sustained any game. And I'd opinion that the game with the best gameplay lives out the fantasies the best for the playing audience. Without an accurate simulation of the trials and tribulations the euphoria of success is surely lesser with inferior gameplay/simulations, no?

In an ideal situation the gameplay is great in all footy games - regardless of player skills level - and then the games can be judged on the facial animations that add drama for those that aren't skipping them for more gameplay minutes.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You should watch the last World Cup Final. Nothing has come close to that for sporting drama in recent years.
I know the USA wasn't in it and the only games I really watch that I don't have some sort of rooting interest in is Baseball and thats only because I do some radio analysis for ESPN periodically

Azurro

Banned
I know the USA wasn't in it and the only games I really watch that I don't have some sort of rooting interest in is Baseball and thats only because I do some radio analysis for ESPN periodically

You criticize football and yet you watch baseball. Come on, the sport where fat men can be "athletes", and you can play 100 games and yet nobody has burnout because nobody moves.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You criticize football and yet you watch baseball. Come on, the sport where fat men can be "athletes", and you can play 100 games and yet nobody has burnout because nobody moves.
The 2 hardest things to do in all of sports is hitting a golf ball and making it go where you actually want it to over and over again and hitting a round ball with a round bat while its traveling 100 mph

And if you think players do not have burn out during a season in Baseball I can't help you with that

We can't wait to show you future!

We already know its the same copy paste bullshit as always. Maybe take a few years off and there might be something worth being excited for.

Azurro

Banned
The 2 hardest things to do in all of sports is hitting a golf ball and making it go where you actually want it to over and over again and hitting a round ball with a round bat while its traveling 100 mph

And if you think players do not have burn out during a season in Baseball I can't help you with that

I'm sure that traveling in buses and planes and staying in hotes is very tiring sure. But going to a game and sitting for hours doesn't sound tiring, no. It's so boring not even the audience goes there to watch the game, they just want to drink beer and get hotdogs, lol. And you ANALYZE that? Do you spend your entire time hitting the fast forward button?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm sure that traveling in buses and planes and staying in hotes is very tiring sure. But going to a game and sitting for hours doesn't sound tiring, no. It's so boring not even the audience goes there to watch the game, they just want to drink beer and get hotdogs, lol. And you ANALYZE that? Do you spend your entire time hitting the fast forward button?
I break down pitching mechanics

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A for you guys talking sports excitement, baseball is hit and miss with me. It can be boring too. Although the sped up clocks this year have made a difference. Regular season can be a slog, BUT baseball playoffs are awesome. Even for teams I dont care about, somehow it flips a switch and it's great to watch.

I'm biased to hockey so that will always be my go to sport, but out of all the other major sports I think basketball is the best one for consistent action. I dont even follow NBA, but can put on a random game shown on TV and there will be enough action throughout the game to keep it interesting. Hockey has a good flow too. But both sports can get bogged down if there's too many whistles.

I dont find NFL that exciting unless. Too many whistles and short plays (most plays are maybe 5 second long), then the team kills the clock for 30 seconds. Repeat.

Soccer has a smooth flow to it, but almost zero action and too much diving. Its the major sport where you can tell by whats going on the field if there will be a goal or not due to distance. In other sports, a long TD, home run, 3 pt bomb or blast from the blue line can happen fast. In soccer, everyone knows there's no goal being scored until the player with the ball zooms in close or does a cross or corner kick. When a team has ball control and gingerly passing it back and forth at centre (including to even their own goalie), you know there's zero chance of any action of goal being scored.

Car racing I only watch when Sports Centre shows crash replays.

I find soccer and racing similar. Pretty boring, but goals and crash replays are great.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Halloween Thats It GIF by Peloton

And why isn't ESPN calling you throwing stacks of cash your way for this amazing breakdown?

Good Luck Charlie Idk GIF

Really, you shouldn't throw shade at football when you enjoy fucking baseball. The people that enjoy a sport where there is literally at least a couple of minutes between every single action, that usually ends up being a "ball", and where in this entire time both teams made up of dad bods are just standing around don't get to call other sports boring, lol.

Fucking hell, you like baseball, lol.

ADiTAR

Banned
They need a better acronym for the game. Fifa just worked, EASFC seems like someone just droped they face in the keyboard and thats what came out. Maybe ppl will stick to EA FC.
Should have called it Electronic Arts Soccer Yearly 23, than acronym would have been EASY23.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Really, you shouldn't throw shade at football when you enjoy fucking baseball. The people that enjoy a sport where there is literally at least a couple of minutes between every single action, that usually ends up being a "ball", and where in this entire time both teams made up of dad bods are just standing around don't get to call other sports boring, lol.

Sorry it bothers you so much more people in the US would rather watch Baseball than soccer

Azurro

Banned
Sorry it bothers you so much more people in the US would rather watch Baseball than soccer

You Americans are weird, of course it doesn't bother me. It's the world's game, billions love it, while only a few tens of millions in the us like baseball and almost no one outside of it. The funniest part is how your sport is so local that you call your local league championship "the world series".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You Americans are weird, of course it doesn't bother me. It's the world's game, billions love it, while only a few tens of millions in the us like baseball and almost no one outside of it. The funniest part is how your sport is so local that you call your local league championship "the world series".
No doubt the world series claim is stupid as hell.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Have always though the term World Series is dumb but many inside baseball will tell you the very best come to play here anyhow to chase the money

Really enjoyed the World Baseball Classic though

Anyhow will stop derailing back to soccer

call the midwife GIF by PBS

TheGrat1

LMFAO it came down to penalty kicks. If there is a less aesthetic and skillful way to decide a sporting event then let me know.

"Nothing has come close to that for sporting drama in recent years"

Maybe in the sports you watch.

wipeout364

I don’t follow fifa but has anyone ponied up the money for the license? It must have been crazy expensive if EA said no.

FIFA about to discover that EA doesn't need them and never did. I wonder how long it will take for FIFA to go crawling back and offer the license to EA on fair terms. Might be as soon as next year lul

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Exactly, that’s just an equally dumb-arse take as saying football is boring and simple.

It’s possible to not be interested in a sport without disparaging it.
I sure don't mean to disparage the sport or the people who enjoy it, its just not for me as are many sports like Hockey, Golf and auto racing

I just get bored watching a lot of sports outside of mens college basketball, the NFL, NBA and MLB

Banjo64

cumsessed
I sure don't mean to disparage the sport or the people who enjoy it, its just not for me as are many sports like Hockey, Golf and auto racing

I just get bored watching a lot of sports outside of mens college basketball, the NFL, NBA and MLB
Sorry, wasn’t saying you were specifically mate - was just a comment aimed at the thread as a whole which has semi-descended in to ‘my sport is better than your sport’.

Azurro

Banned
Sorry, wasn’t saying you were specifically mate - was just a comment aimed at the thread as a whole which has semi-descended in to ‘my sport is better than your sport’.

He started it. I'm like, "you mf'er have the balls to criticise football when you like baseball?!". 😛

OCL

I live in the US where Soccer ranks anywhere between the 6th to 8th most watched sport so most Americans would rather watch anything else.

Now a lot of this has to do with we simply do not funnel our top athletes to the sport and it starts in High Schools, at least in Indiana

I have worked with a lot of kids over the years to be better baseball pitchers and even when they are multi sport stars I have had my kids tell me Athletic Directors at their school have told them to not play all 4 major sports and have asked them to specifically drop Soccer because it doesn't make the school any money because no one goes to the games.
Bro who asked ?

Lasha

It's football because we play it together with our feet.
Soccer is Yankee term.

Soccer is a British term. The US adopted it because association football isn't the dominant code. Similar in Australia since people will think AFL or Rugby if you say football.

Jboemios

Banned

I will never forget the first and LAST time I watched a baseball game in tv. I had to watched it because dragon ball was after the game. One of the most miserable experiences I have had.

chigstoke

*Join the Club*

I smell even more of a focus on Ultimate Team/whatever its called here.

Excepting the worst.
All I ask for is for a functional version of Pro Clubs that has a bit of time and effort put into it. Me and my mates used to love trying to climb the divisions. Now the game is just so Ultimate Team centric that I never see EA diverging from that.

Ozriel

M$FT

Well said. 'FIFA' just rolled off the tongue

I think most people will settle for 'FC' instead. like FC24, FC25 etc.

Top Bottom