• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Refused to Disclose Battlefield 2042 Sales Figures, States Franchise Accounts for Less Than 10% of Their Portfolio

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
battlefield-2042-hazard-zone-3.jpg

While it’s not surprising that EA has confirmed that Battlefield 2042 sales numbers did not meet expectations, what is surprising is the publisher outright refusing to disclose the game’s sales when asked.

During yesterday’s quarterly financials call Q&A portion with investors, EA was asked about the units sold/sales numbers of BF2042, and they refused to answered or give a definite number or estimate, and answered in a rather cheeky way, as EA EVP & Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen said:

We’re refraining from trying to give updates on units because we know that there are…remember Battlefield is less than 10% of our revenue, so I’m not sure what you would do with that. Clearly, we sold less units than we thought we would, but what I would say is that, remember these games are long-tail, and our goal is to add new content, new ways to play, new excitements to stretch this out.

In the same call, EA confirmed that they are reducing their fiscal year forecast by $100 million due to the poor launch of Battlefield 2042, which, again, shouldn’t surprise anyone.

Of course, if the game sold well, you just know that we’d be getting mounds of press releases and announcements on how it created a new benchmark for shooters and all that. Still, this might be the first time I’ve heard of a publisher react that way when asked directly about sales numbers.

EA then: it's way ahead of schedule, it’s going to usher in a new generation for Battlefield games and Battlefield fans, this is exactly the game that Battlefield fans want to play and the game that we believe will drive growth in the Battlefield franchise.

EA now: We’re refraining from trying to give updates on units because we know that there are…remember Battlefield is less than 10% of our revenue, so I’m not sure what you would do with that. Also, it's going to be less than 5% next year.

ymoc

Was this the woke game full of disabled chicks? I don't play battlefield so not sure.
No, that was BF5 and it turned out just fine in the end. The woke shit was mostly contained at launch and it's not really noticable today.
The 2042 issues go waay beyond woke or not woke. The poor reception and sales reflect that. They really upset the community by changing the core concept of classes into operator based gameplay. Having some of the worst maps in the history of the battlefield games also didnt help.
Bugs can and will be fixed eventually.
Bad designs and gameplay maybe not so much... We'll see.

So far Dice and EA have stubbornly refused to acknowledge they screwed up. We haven't had anything nearly resembling an apology. That's really depressing cause it makes me think they are sticking to their guns and are going to keep ignoring what the community wants, they know better what fans want.

Last edited:
It's interesting I don't play CoD or Battlefield, but whenever someone says CoD is the king of the hill, I always think about what poor competition it has.

They will make x10 more sales than Battlefield 2042 if they remade Battlefield Bad Company 2 on current gen consoles and PC.

Just give the fans what they want. An actual Battlefield game = profit. I don't know why they don't stick to the DNA of what got the BF franchise to where it is today.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
They will make x10 more sales than Battlefield 2042 if they remade Battlefield Bad Company 2 on current gen consoles and PC.

Just give the fans what they want. An actual Battlefield game = profit. I don't know why they don't stick to the DNA of what got the BF franchise to where it is today.
Good God, this is literally all they need to do. They have the most bizarre disconnect with their fanbase.

Roni

Gold Member

While it’s not surprising that EA has confirmed that Battlefield 2042 sales numbers did not meet expectations, what is surprising is the publisher outright refusing to disclose the game’s sales when asked.

During yesterday’s quarterly financials call Q&A portion with investors, EA was asked about the units sold/sales numbers of BF2042, and they refused to answered or give a definite number or estimate, and answered in a rather cheeky way, as EA EVP & Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen said:

In the same call, EA confirmed that they are reducing their fiscal year forecast by $100 million due to the poor launch of Battlefield 2042, which, again, shouldn’t surprise anyone.

Of course, if the game sold well, you just know that we’d be getting mounds of press releases and announcements on how it created a new benchmark for shooters and all that. Still, this might be the first time I’ve heard of a publisher react that way when asked directly about sales numbers.

This is as clear a signal to short the company as they're allowed to give.

NickFire

This is incredible. I told myself just get it, you know it’ll get better. But it keeps getting worse news. Like every single day, there’s a new reminder I wasted my money. I can’t even be mad anymore. Now it’s just funny.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I didnt read the details but sounds like EA's earnings werent great at all, but the stock ended up +$7. Who knew.

There must had been some details in the earnings that made investors like it after all.

Barakov

URBoeEM.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The sad thing is that they have continued to repeadetly stand by the swedish DICE when there is an amazing studio in LA pumping out fantastic DLC on time consistently. Its obvious that DICE no longer has the people that made its games great so take the franchise from them and give them to the LA team. Those guys know what they are doing.

Shubh_C63

I did read they had a wide survey with fans and EA couldn't figure what exactly was the stuff they needed to replicate to make Bad Company 2 tick with gamers. 'tis true.

Not a BF fan but this entry felt more like lack of effort and resources rather than a decision they catiously made. Based on how low it's development time was.

EDMIX

why-cause.gif

Also thats not entirely true, looking at some past articles, EA has actually ignored that when a BF launched poorly lol , looking it up, they also didn't give an exact unit after BF1 launched on the next report (not that I can find anyway)

In regards to BFV I don't know when we got that 9 million figure from by EA btw, I simply recall that it moved around 1 million its launch week.

lol this fanfiction!

Just stop man. Bad Company 2 remade to move 40 fucking million units? Nahhhhhh just stop.

The fact that this game LITERALLY has Bad Company 2 remade in it and not doing "x10" shows not as much people as you think really, really give a shit about that. Look, I love BFBC2, I own 3 versions and literally have over 1000 hours in the game, but I see nothing to suggest it would outsell a brand new BF title. That doesn't have shit to do with which I like more either as ironically I like BFBC2 more, but I need to use sound logic and reasoning here man lol

Call Of Duty 4 moved more units then Bad Company 2, it is a bigger IP then BF, no debate.

Its remaster didn't fucking outsell that years new COD, it didn't outsell the original or any weird cringe shit like that lol

Look, I believe they can and likely will put all those old Bad Company 2 maps in the game thru Portal and BF3 and you'll still not see this fucking game do x10 or anything like that as with Portal you are not only getting more map, customizing features, more weapons, you are getting other games too, as in its value would be waaaaay above Bad Company 2 solely. so i don't know where you are getting this information from lol What we all liked in the past, may not move those units today, even if we all on here agree with how great those games were. That means nothing to the COD, PUBG, Fortnite MP crowd that wants to always play the current.

Not a BF fan but this entry felt more like lack of effort and resources rather than a decision they catiously made. Based on how low it's development time was.

From what i'm reading, its like a combination of it. I can never say "lack of effort" as I don't know what that team went thru to say its them vs EA and that Designer.

Looking at it, it sounds like the development was longer then the last title, was delayed, but not enough and irrelevant if you factor its coming to 6 platforms vs BFV coming to 3, thus even having more team means nothing if they'd just increase platforms. Second, even if the game was delayed again and again, like let say the real, REAL date is Fall 2022, if the same designer is there making sure the scoreboard is gone to not hurt people's feelings, it means this game at least in design, still needs to be reworked, even if it had no bugs.

Ironically, this is one of the more smoother BF titles in terms of massive bugs or server issues, the key issues here really are the design, UI fucked up, class system fucked up etc. So I don't know if more time would have even mattered if they'd just have the same person making bad design choices lol I only want a longer development if they had Zampella correcting it or something.

U Unk Adams Look, I don't disagree with you that BFV's PR has likely hurt the publisher, the team and the brand of the IP for many, i just don't now how much stock gamers really put into that shit as a majority. Millions are not on here talking about this shit, just us lol

I agree it hurt it to a degree, but how much could that shit really hurt, if they went from 1 million sold in a week with BFV, to fucking 4.2 million sold in a week with 2042? That is likely why you even hear Andrew saying they expect it to doing really well over the course of time, its already doing better then BFV did in sales, but that simply shouldn't be the case if those comments deeply hurt the brand to massive degree.

So yes it hurt, not that much care about the past comments to not buy a new BF it seems. In terms of the whole "woke" shit lol idgaf really. Anyone who things BFV is woke, will think this game is woke and I see nothing that suggest that isn't noticeable today as thats an odd thing to even say, BFV still has women in it so.... I don't really know where they are getting that from lol

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Ironically, this is one of the more smoother BF titles in terms of massive bugs or server issues, the key issues here really are the design, UI fucked up, class system fucked up etc.

No, it's fucked up in every way, across the board. They still haven't fixed basic hitreg on all platforms, and basic performance issues on PC. It's just all cock and balls.

EDMIX

Oh EA, you literally have nothing I want to play anymore. Everything you do at the moment seems to be shit.

I have almost no faith in the Dead Space remake.

Thats a wait and see for me. Love the IP (at least the first 2 games).

I like that a remake is happening at all instead of a cheap port, remaster etc and I Like that its next gen only. So those choices alone have me more so willing to buy, but we could be in a Mass Effect Andromeda launch, Grove Street Great Value Games situation lol I'll wait for the reviews before buying on that one.

I don't even know when the last time or if ever EA has remade a game.... if they just wanted a cash grab, port collection could have been made, cross gen could have been made etc so its a wait and see for me at this point.

BadBurger BadBurger lol if you feel just. As someone that got most of the series day 1, many things were done well, many things were done poorly too.

If anything I mean smoother in regards to no major server issue like with BF3 and BF4 and very little crashes on my part as 70 hours in, I only crashed once. If anything, I mean that. It still has loads of other issues though, no debating that.

I'm also not playing on PC so can't speak for that version, i wouldn't be shocked though if its worse simply based on PC not really being the majority for lots of AAA MP games anymore, that used to be the best version generations ago, now.....questionable ports lol

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

EA has gone to shit for a long time now. At some point they had BF, Dead Space and Mirrors Edge which were all great. During PS4 launch I bought BF4 and Rivals, and FIFA 14 was good. But almost everything they have right now is trash. I think Respawn is their only prolific studio left. They should be acquired, not EA lol.

EDMIX

EA has gone to shit for a long time now. At some point they had BF, Dead Space and Mirrors Edge which were all great. During PS4 launch I bought BF4 and Rivals, and FIFA 14 was good. But almost everything they have right now is trash. I think Respawn is their only prolific studio left. They should be acquired, not EA lol.

It was a mixed back last gen.

2 of my favorite BF's launched, then 2 of the most questionable BFs launched lol Early on they stumbled, fixed some things and with Battlefront 1 and Battlefield 1, they hit them out of the park and break records......annnnnnd then things go down hill lol

Its like in order for EA to learn, something needs to keep flopping, its like them even getting a game to do well doesn't even result in them just doing that same thing, they just get even more greedy like "oohhhh so its 3 games you can do at once DICE?" lol

Mirrors Edge, Battlefront 1 and Battlefield 1 being done at once i'm more then sure is why they got THIS greedy, if either of those titles flopped, they might have relaxed on over loading this team with IP and trying to get shit out in 15 months or something. Granted, for the time frame DICE had, they did a great job on those games, but a team like that can only take so much until what EA is asking for, just doesn't make fucking sense for 6 platforms, 128 players, massive fucking maps.....all in 18 months. Something had to give.

Ozzie666

Do stock holders not have a right to know this? or some finder details?

I once thought DICE and Bioware ere untouchable and EA could not be purchased. Now, I'm not sure about any of it.

Last edited:

Gonna be honest and say I don’t think the current DICE could even pull off a competent remake. Maybe D:LA.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't think it really turned out fine to be honest. Battlefield V's very mixed reception hurt the brand name longterm. That was the last one I actually gave a chance before giving up on the series and I can't imagine I'm the only one.
This
People always assume because something sold well there was nothing wrong with it or whatever problems that game had didn't affect it.
This is never that case, and this applies to everything, even films
Usually it's the product that comes after that gets the full blunt of it.
For example I blindly got TLOU2 and while it's still a functional game and no means bad, I lost interest in it less then halfway.
The result of that will be seen on ND's next game as I won't be out in a rush to buy it.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
this sounds like one of the big boys either Sony or Microsoft could come in and buy EA. with major game releases like this not doing well the shares will plummet

EDMIX

Gonna be honest and say I don’t think the current DICE could even pull off a competent remake. Maybe D:LA.

I disagree, I'd simply say under EA, under 18 months etc would cause a remake to fail. I don't even think it matters what team tbh, they are the team after all who even made those maps as many of the people that made the originals, still work at DICE and did the maps on 2042, so if it couldn't be done, I don't know if I'd say its cause the person that literally made those maps, is remaking the maps they already made before lol So you still need to factor they were under the orders of the designer that just left, its hard to even say if its DICE or that Designer, or EA not delaying or a mixture, but I'm more then positive those same level designers and producers etc don't just want to make shit or something, so I think in order for some remake to work, they'd still need the room and a designer not asking to remove scoreboards and shit lol

I just don't know if I can blame that core team for that vs leadership, publisher etc.

People always assume because something sold well there was nothing wrong with it or whatever problems that game had didn't affect it.

Agreed. I can't even say BFV sold well as much as ok, decent etc. Its one of the worst selling BFs and one of the slowest to move units and clearly those PR statements didn't help, the game launch with little content didn't help and all those TTK updates going back and forth didn't help either. I personally really like it and its up there with one of my favorite BF titles, but I can't say with a straight face that those PR comments didn't hurt.

imho BFV simply proved that people at first will listen to negative information and over time vote with their wallet based on what they see vs dead on arrival for life or something. The fact that BFV goes from 1 million in week one, to 8 or 9 millions life time sales goes to show those launch issues caused it those sales and those PR statements caused it those didn't help.

this sounds like one of the big boys either Sony or Microsoft could come in and buy EA. with major game releases like this not doing well the shares will plummet

lol likely. I'd be shocked if they were not bought. I'd use those low sales as an excuse for dat discount! lol

EA "Why should we sell below asking"

Me....a fuckboy " Ok, Andromeda, Anthem, Battlefront 2, Battlefield V, Battlefield 2042, need I go on?, Andrew I'm taking quite a risk even being here being seen buying ya'll" lol

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I disagree, I'd simply say under EA, under 18 months etc would cause a remake to fail. I don't even think it matters what team tbh, they are the team after all who even made those maps as many of the people that made the originals, still work at DICE and did the maps on 2042, so if it couldn't be done, I don't know if I'd say its cause the person that literally made those maps, is remaking the maps they already made before lol So you still need to factor they were under the orders of the designer that just left, its hard to even say if its DICE or that Designer, or EA not delaying or a mixture, but I'm more then positive those same level designers and producers etc don't just want to make shit or something, so I think in order for some remake to work, they'd still need the room and a designer not asking to remove scoreboards and shit lol

I just don't know if I can blame that core team for that vs leadership, publisher etc.

Agreed. I can't even say BFV sold well as much as ok, decent etc. Its one of the worst selling BFs and one of the slowest to move units and clearly those PR statements didn't help, the game launch with little content didn't help and all those TTK updates going back and forth didn't help either. I personally really like it and its up there with one of my favorite BF titles, but I can't say with a straight face that those PR comments didn't hurt.

imho BFV simply proved that people at first will listen to negative information and over time vote with their wallet based on what they see vs dead on arrival for life or something. The fact that BFV goes from 1 million in week one, to 8 or 9 millions life time sales goes to show those launch issues caused it those sales and those PR statements caused it those didn't help.

lol likely. I'd be shocked if they were not bought. I'd use those low sales as an excuse for dat discount! lol

EA "Why should we sell below asking"

Me....a fuckboy " Ok, Andromeda, Anthem, Battlefront 2, Battlefield V, Battlefield 2042, need I go on?, Andrew I'm taking quite a risk even being here being seen buying ya'll" lol

sales help what a company is worth dumbass. if there games are not selling the share price will dip. sales equals profits and less profits make the company less valuable

EDMIX

sales help what a company is worth dumbass. if there games are not selling the share price will dip. sales equals profits and less profits make the company less valuable

I mean...yea, which would make sense if someone wanted to buy them they'd have leverage. I'm not even sure why you are mad or stating "dumbass" when my statement is agreeing with you lol

Relax Phil, you argue too much lol

Not everything is a fight, I don't even know how you read that post and then get mad lol

ymoc

I don't think it really turned out fine to be honest. Battlefield V's very mixed reception hurt the brand name longterm. That was the last one I actually gave a chance before giving up on the series and I can't imagine I'm the only one.
When was the last time you played it, if you don't mind me asking?

I mean...yea, which would make sense if someone wanted to buy them they'd have leverage. I'm not even sure why you are mad or stating "dumbass" when my statement is agreeing with you lol

Not everything is a fight, I don't even know how you read that post and then get mad lol
Maybe you’re just annoying people…

MadAnon

No wonder they are half assing this franchise. When you have Apex which requires fraction of the resources BF needs, but provides significantly bigger revenue stream, it probably starts to look like not a worthwhile investment. Besides, BR is phasing out a lot of traditional shooters while the genre itself is oversaturated with very little room for new BR games. BF seems like a dying franchise.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

my mistake, I thought you were disagreeing. hold my hands up buddy I got it wrong 🤘🏻

Last edited:

Deerock71

I bet FIFA on the Switch drew comparable numbers. As a side note- WTF about not a single Madden on Switch?! If I was a shareholder, I'd be flipping tables!

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
We’re refraining from trying to give updates on units because we know that there are…remember Battlefield is less than 10% of our revenue, so I’m not sure what you would do with that.
A stock company saying 10% of their revenue is "no biggie"? Which is over 500 million USD?

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

Ezquimacore

Banned
EA is lacking these days, the sport games are trash, they don't have best selling RPGs anymore and the FPS money maker is not making money. Acquisition incoming.

Top Bottom