• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Play comes to PC for GPU members 18/03

T-Cake

It'll be interesting to see whether you can play Mass Effect 2 via the Xbox / EA Desktop client but if you want to buy the DLC, you need Origin but then you'll be screwed because Origin won't recognize your EA Play membership. What a pickle!

GamingKaiju

Cool I can now cancel my EA play membership and keep access to my games. 👍

Wait do I need another piece of software to make this work?

I already have Origin installed and the Xbox client and accounts linked.

Stuart360

Gold Member
5PM EST.

Quoted wrong person.

Meant to quote Stuart360 Stuart360
Still nothing showing up on my Gamepass. Maybe you do need 'Ultimate' afterall.:messenger_neutral:

EDIT. Sorted it. I had to manually update the Xbox app (thought it would be automatic). Funnily enough Gamepass is a bit bugged, and i cant install a EA game from Gamepass, but once you have linked your Gamepasss to the EA App, you can download directly from there.
Also Star Wars Squadrons is on!, the announcement said console only the other day.:messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member

The existing link should in theory automatically be the same. And when the EA app goes out of beta you should in theory be able to delete the Origin app since they in theory should overlap each other. I wouldn't make a promise of what actually will happen in practice though.. In my experience the "linking", possible mis-linking, multiple accounts confusion and previous legacy bugs can make a horrible mess out of things. F.ex. I am still unable to access all of my Xbox Apex stuff in the PC version and not even EA support seem to be able to find it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Still nothing showing up on my Gamepass. Maybe you do need 'Ultimate' afterall.:messenger_neutral:

EDIT. Sorted it. I had to manually update the Xbox app (thought it would be automatic). Funnily enough Gamepass is a bit bugged, and i cant install a EA game from Gamepass, but once you have linked your Gamepasss to the EA App, you can download directly from there.
Also Star Wars Squadrons is on!, the announcement said console only the other day.:messenger_grinning:

I believe you can only get them through the EA app?

Stuart360

Gold Member
I believe you can only get them through the EA app?
It gives you the option to download them on Gamepass itself, but gives me an error. You can download them directly from the EA App though, and dont even need Gamepass open (once you have linked accounts).

nemiroff

Gold Member
It gives you the option to download them on Gamepass itself, but gives me an error. You can download them directly from the EA App though, and dont even need Gamepass open (once you have linked accounts).

My head had smoke coming from it when I didn't find any way to uninstall the EA Play Game Pass games; no uninstall possible in Game Pass and no uninstall possible in the EA app. Spent some time in frustration on it until finally I found out I had to go to Apps&Features in Windows settings to do it.. Holy shit.. I guess it's a beta..

Brofist

My head had smoke coming from it when I didn't find any way to uninstall the EA Play Game Pass games; no uninstall possible in Game Pass and no uninstall possible in the EA app. Spent some time in frustration on it until finally I found out I had to go to Apps&Features in Windows settings to do it.. Holy shit.. I guess it's a beta..
Yeah feels very rough around the edges for sure

smbu2000

This reads to me like you don't have to have Game Pass Ultimate and just the cheaper PC sub is enough.
Am I missing something?

Either way same caveats as when they announced it for Xbox apply here. This isn't including the more expensive EA Play Pro which gives access to new games, it is just the cheaper version which is mainly older games (e.g. this will include FIFA 20, whereas the more expensive tier has FIFA 21). Still cool though, but just temper your expectations!
It's the same as what is on Xbox GPU. The regular EA Play, which includes their older games and previous gen. sports games. Not the current ones.
I'm not sure why anybody would be expecting something different from the one already offered via the Xbox version.

Anyway, good to see that it is finally coming to PC and not just xbox. I have ultimate, but some games I want to play on my Xbox and some I'd rather play on my PC.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Please let's not be retards and call this GPU. We have GPUs already.
U can’t stop me muthafucka

Reb429b9729bee4542f30d054758ce7c5

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Speaking of EA, I booted up Army of Two recently and man is it dated culturally. It would never get released today.

TriSuit666

Banned
I cannot for the life of me get this EA Desktop thing installed via the Game Pass app, it just says 'Cannot Download EA Desktop - go to this link to download' - I download and install it, and the Xbox app still thinks it's not installed.

Fucking stupid.

I was about to try out squadrons but noticed it requires a new installer. I can't be fucked with that, I'd rather they just didn't fucking bother if it requires more bloat on my system when it really isn't required.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I cannot for the life of me get this EA Desktop thing installed via the Game Pass app, it just says 'Cannot Download EA Desktop - go to this link to download' - I download and install it, and the Xbox app still thinks it's not installed.

Fucking stupid.

I can't trigger any downloads from the Xbox app (I get an error), but I do get access to everything via the EA app. 🤷‍♂️

Auronite76

Neo Member
EA Desktop App won't install (I'm running it as an administrator). When I start the installer it starts downloading something, and after the download bar goes ~5mm it just stops and few seconds later the installer closes itself. Happens every time. I've checked and nothing has been installed when it stops, not even a single folder has been created by the installer. So it's probably something related to downloading the files from the server? So far I've tried moving the installer to different drives and running it from there, creating the folders myself and moving and running the installer inside the folder I created, disabling UAC, checked if Bitdefender blocked something (found nothing). I also redownloaded the the installer several times so it's not the installer file. I'm clueless now, anyone else had this problem? Know how to solve this? Many have problems downloading the games, but I can't even install the app.

TriSuit666

Banned
EA Desktop App won't install (I'm running it as an administrator). When I start the installer it starts downloading something, and after the download bar goes ~5mm it just stops and few seconds later the installer closes itself. Happens every time. I've checked and nothing has been installed when it stops, not even a single folder has been created by the installer. So it's probably something related to downloading the files from the server? So far I've tried moving the installer to different drives and running it from there, creating the folders myself and moving and running the installer inside the folder I created, disabling UAC, checked if Bitdefender blocked something (found nothing). I also redownloaded the the installer several times so it's not the installer file. I'm clueless now, anyone else had this problem? Know how to solve this? Many have problems downloading the games, but I can't even install the app.
That sounds like a common bug to me. Create a folder called ‘Electronic Arts’ in C:/Program Files and run the installer from there.

Auronite76

Neo Member
That sounds like a common bug to me. Create a folder called ‘Electronic Arts’ in C:/Program Files and run the installer from there.
I already tried it. I also first tried to install the app from a separate file I downloaded, after that failed I tried to download and install it from the Xbox app and now every time I reboot my computer it starts the installation process. This is somehow related to Xbox app, the installation prompt only starts if Xbox app starts automatically with windows. Anyone know how to prevent the Xbox app from starting the installation? Where are the files and can I delete them? Or is this information stored in windows registry?

TriSuit666

Banned
I already tried it. I also first tried to install the app from a separate file I downloaded, after that failed I tried to download and install it from the Xbox app and now every time I reboot my computer it starts the installation process. This is somehow related to Xbox app, the installation prompt only starts if Xbox app starts automatically with windows. Anyone know how to prevent the Xbox app from starting the installation? Where are the files and can I delete them? Or is this information stored in windows registry?
Right.... and sigh.

I bet this fucking stupid solution solves your issue, like it solved mine. Let me know. :)

(basically you have to reset UAC controls to get Xbox app and EA Play app to talk to each other)

https://attackofthefanboy.com/guide...ay-problem-could-not-download-ea-desktop-fix/

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned

Just download the EA launcher from the Xbox app and when done, delete Origin. Because all the games that you have bought are on there too. Bit of a warning, it's in BETA.

Derktron

Banned
It's in BETA. Contact EA. I had no issues installing it.

Stuart360

Gold Member
Just download the EA launcher from the Xbox app and when done, delete Origin. Because all the games that you have bought are on there too. Bit of a warning, it's in BETA.
Just remember some of the games havent transfered over from Origin yet. A few of my games were not in my librabry on the App, and i got that 'not all games are available on the app yet' message.

Auronite76

Neo Member
Right.... and sigh.

I bet this fucking stupid solution solves your issue, like it solved mine. Let me know. :)

(basically you have to reset UAC controls to get Xbox app and EA Play app to talk to each other)

https://attackofthefanboy.com/guide...ay-problem-could-not-download-ea-desktop-fix/
This didn't help. But msi installer worked for me, EA support site forums has a topic related to this problem (and a link to that msi installer). The exe installer didn't work no matter what tricks I tried. I just played Command & Conquer Remastered, installed it from EA Desktop App without a problem. I didn't have any other problems, linking EA Desktop App to Xbox App and downloading the game worked fine.

Excess

Subscriptions are great for digital games because I would have never known how shitty NFS Heat actually is. It reminds of how you could rent games at Blockbuster, back in the day. Try before you buy.

sl541amwhpmz.jpg

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Anyone else just not able to get this working at all? Every time I click install It tries to pop up a window then immediately closes it and I get an error.

Kerotan

Man EA play is such a shirty service. I've subbed for the €1 offer this month only. Just Platinumed jedi fallen order and will complete star wars squadrons. Zero interest in any of the sports games. I'd play a way out but already competed it.

It makes me think ubisoft could actually pull one of these off. They've got so many more good single player games.

Top Bottom