• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Motive’s new IP Gaia is reportedly cancelled (after 6 years of development)

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Electronic Arts is continuing to do what it does best, with one these things being cancelling games

motive-ea.png

According to Bloomberg, the reason behind the cancellation is a “resource shift”.
Based on an older article, EA recently reviewed several projects that were in development, and two of these projects were Motive’s Gaia and Bioware’s Anthem 2.0.
Gaia was in development for nearly six years, but due to ongoing issues at Motive the game was rebooted in 2018. However, it seems that rebooting the game did not help in the end.
Maybe it’s for the best, but we will never know for certain.

The game, code named Gaia, was first hinted at in 2015, but was never officially announced or given a title. Since then, EA executives have released a drip feed of information, sharing tidbits every few years on what it described as a brand new franchise.
Last summer in a video showcasing future games, EA provided a few seconds of footage from Gaia, describing it as “a highly ambitious, innovative new game that puts the power and creativity in your hands.”

1XWDSsF.gif

By the beginning of 2018, the Gaia team had absorbed the creative leads from Star Wars Battlefront II and faced cultural clashes as a result. The tension culminated with the game’s top directors departing for Ubisoft, which also has a large office in Montreal.
Gaia was then rebooted, the people said. Raymond left EA in the fall of 2018.
Motive will remain intact. The studio has found success with a smaller project in Star Wars Squadrons, a fighter ship simulator that came out last fall, and has continued to help with other games across EA.

Last edited:

jakinov

What's wrong with cancelling games? They weren't happy with the results in 6 years and want to cut their loses. If they had just rushed it out and tried to make whatever buck that they can. You'd get mad too. If they've spent an extra few years of developments; they'd be burning money they could have spent on a new project. And you guys would be making fun of them for making a failure.

Nobody wants to cancel a project. But every publisher has.

Stuart360

What's wrong with cancelling games? They weren't happy with the results in 6 years and want to cut their loses. If they had just rushed it out and tried to make whatever buck that they can. You'd get mad too. If they've spent an extra few years of developments; they'd be burning money they could have spent on a new project. And you guys would be making fun of them for making a failure.

Nobody wants to cancel a project. But every publisher has.
Yep, i mean its EA so people come in guns blazing, but they gave them 6 years, and god knows how much money.

Ammogeddon

Six years of development with a reboot in between, then the project is cancelled.

I know there are many game projects that never see the light of day but the time and resources spent on this are far from insignificant.

From a business point of view this is bad. Not sure I’d be happy investing money or working on a project like that.

Fuck the suits but I feel for devs that spend a good portion of their working lives working on something that ends up in the trash.

synce

Can't imagine wasting 6 years of my life on literally nothing. Although I don't know why anyone would work for this company if they looked at games as anything more than a paycheck

If it was cancelled after 6 years, it was probably for the best.

The financial loss they decided to take upon themselves, rather than to continue development and release a game that they assume would have incurred a higher loss in the long run, is enough to speak for itself.

Areiz

Banned
Electronic Arts is continuing to do what it does best, with one these things being cancelling games

motive-ea.png

According to Bloomberg, the reason behind the cancellation is a “resource shift”.
Based on an older article, EA recently reviewed several projects that were in development, and two of these projects were Motive’s Gaia and Bioware’s Anthem 2.0.
Gaia was in development for nearly six years, but due to ongoing issues at Motive the game was rebooted in 2018. However, it seems that rebooting the game did not help in the end.
Maybe it’s for the best, but we will never know for certain.

The game, code named Gaia, was first hinted at in 2015, but was never officially announced or given a title. Since then, EA executives have released a drip feed of information, sharing tidbits every few years on what it described as a brand new franchise.
Last summer in a video showcasing future games, EA provided a few seconds of footage from Gaia, describing it as “a highly ambitious, innovative new game that puts the power and creativity in your hands.”

1XWDSsF.gif

By the beginning of 2018, the Gaia team had absorbed the creative leads from Star Wars Battlefront II and faced cultural clashes as a result. The tension culminated with the game’s top directors departing for Ubisoft, which also has a large office in Montreal.
Gaia was then rebooted, the people said. Raymond left EA in the fall of 2018.
Motive will remain intact. The studio has found success with a smaller project in Star Wars Squadrons, a fighter ship simulator that came out last fall, and has continued to help with other games across EA.

6 years aren't an entire generation leap?

Beelzebubs

Can't imagine wasting 6 years of my life on literally nothing. Although I don't know why anyone would work for this company if they looked at games as anything more than a paycheck

Oh god it burns my soul to defend EA but they had 6 years and even tried to reboot it midway through. You can't really say EA were just after a paycheck. They gave that project a lot of time and money and had to cut their losses.

I feel dirty.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Had anyone actually been working on this since 2017 though?

EA Motive is a smallish studio of 100 people (probably a lot less in 2015) so it's not like they have enough people to work in several projects in parallel.

- In 2016/2017 they were working on Battlefront 2 with DICE.

- Right after that they were probably put to work on Squadrons to release ASAP due to Disney getting angry at EA for their treatment of the Star Wars franchise. That was probably why Jade Raymond left the studio too, as by then she already saw her own project getting sidelined.

- Squadrons came out in 2020 and was a critical and probably a commercial success, so of course EA got Motive to work on a sequel. This is especially important now because EA can't hoard Star Wars for themselves anymore so they need to get in line with constant releases of quality games or they get the boot.

- It's now 2021 and no one's been working on Gaia since 2015/2016, and its original director has been gone for 3 years. So they shelved the project.

Of course nothing is happening to Motive. They just launched Squadrons which IMO is a spectacular game (and not that much of a "small project" as Schreier likes to call it).

I feel like this is Jason Schreier grasping at straws for drama.

kyussman

Shipping great games is hard,sometimes they don't work out and get cancelled.....don't see why we need to shit on EA for this....there are plenty of other reasons,lol.

Hari Seldon

Go full tilt on a squadrons sequel. Love that game and still play it with my crew. A sequel with a lot more of everything would be perfect.

Bridges

Was always super curious what this was, from the little gameplay we were shown it reminded me of Garry's Mod.

Sucks for the devs but yeah, as others have said they had 6 years and pretty much nothing to show for it, doesn't seem like the craziest decision until you compare it to EA's tendency to cancel/shut down almost everything that can't be annualized or monetized to oblivion.

Seems like their indie game partnerships and Star Wars games are the only thing remotely interesting they can manage to release these days

futurama78

Banned
Looks like a modded game with stolen assets? Devs just messing around? Well like EA shouldn’t really be doing that genre but it deserves to exist.

JLB

Banned
Had anyone actually been working on this since 2017 though?

EA Motive is a smallish studio of 100 people (probably a lot less in 2015) so it's not like they have enough people to work in several projects in parallel.

- In 2016/2017 they were working on Battlefront 2 with DICE.

- Right after that they were probably put to work on Squadrons to release ASAP due to Disney getting angry at EA for their treatment of the Star Wars franchise. That was probably why Jade Raymond left the studio too, as by then she already saw her own project getting sidelined.

- Squadrons came out in 2020 and was a critical and probably a commercial success, so of course EA got Motive to work on a sequel. This is especially important now because EA can't hoard Star Wars for themselves anymore so they need to get in line with constant releases of quality games or they get the boot.

- It's now 2021 and no one's been working on Gaia since 2015/2016, and its original director has been gone for 3 years. So they shelved the project.

Of course nothing is happening to Motive. They just launched Squadrons which IMO is a spectacular game (and not that much of a "small project" as Schreier likes to call it).

I feel like this is Jason Schreier grasping at straws for drama.
what? 100 people studio is "smallish" ? Since when?

Perrott

Gold Member
I was so hyped for this thing since Jade Raymond talked about it during interviews in 2017/2018 - a real shame to see that the project has been not only rebooted, but ultimately cancelled.

Its shocking how EA seems to be unable to produce a AAA new IP nowadays: failed with Criterion, failed with Bioware and now with Motive.

Top Bottom