• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA is trying to drive players towards Lootboxes, leaked documents reveal

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
At the surprise of no one...

FIFA-21-BANNER.jpg

A 54-page document leaked by an insider to the Canadian Broadcast Corporation suggests that FIFA publisher Electronic Arts is actively pushing players to spend money on microtransactions. The document, which was provided by a leaker from EA Vancouver, appears to be a presentation that frankly discusses the importance of FIFA's microtransaction-fuelled mode FIFA Ultimate Team (FUT).

"We are doing everything we can to drive players there," a portion of the presentation reads. That same bullet-point refers to FIFA Ultimate Team as the "cornerstone" of the game. Another portion of the presentation details how the game's developers use "content teasers" to attempt to incentivize players to spend money on Ultimate Team, summarizing that strategy as "all roads lead to FUT."

According to the CBC, the insider felt obligated to leak the document because he and others dislike working on video games that include loot boxes and other gambling-type elements. An EA representative declined to comment, other than to say that the document was "viewed without context."
"All EA games can be played without spending on in-game items, and the majority of players do not spend," the representative stated.
In a sense, this news should not be surprising to anyone who has followed gaming news in recent years. It's been clear for quite a while that microtransactions are immensely profitable as a business model, with EA's rival Activision Blizzard making $1.2 billion in revenue from in-game microtransactions in just three months. A law firm filed a class-action lawsuit against EA back in 2020, claiming that FIFA Ultimate Team is a form of predatory gambling. For now, however, loot boxes are legal in most jurisdictions, though some countries like the UK have commissioned studies to determine how exactly they affect vulnerable players.

tenor.gif

I mean really? Fifa drones wouldn't mind, if they ever cared EA wouldn't be making LITERAL billons out of Fifa alone.

Hardcore gamers™ always pretend to give a shit about consumer rights™ yet are happy to pay full price for upscaled lazy ports of last gen Nintendo games and didn't give a fuck when Atlus was pricing every single 3DS game of theirs 10$ extra or as Atlus drones affectionately used to call it "Atlus Tax".

Last edited:
Not buying another ea game,and since xbox gamepass supports ea play, i wont suscribre to gamepass untill the deal is over . Fuck ea

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
It's sad knowing that they own Codemasters now. F1UT here we go. If not this year, then definitely next year.

yurinka

It's obvious, any company always want to make more money. EA puts microtransactions because they make more money, so want people to use them to make money.

If people wouldn't use them, the microtransactions wouldn't generate a shit ton of money for them. So they would stom implementing them.

Last edited:

Nester99

tenor.gif

I mean really? Fifa drones wouldn't mind, if they ever cared EA wouldn't be making LITERAL billons out of Fifa alone.

Hardcore gamers™ always pretend to give a shit about consumer rights™ yet are happy to pay full price for upscaled lazy ports of last gen Nintendo games and didn't give a fuck when Atlus was pricing ever single 3DS game of theirs 10$ extra or as Atlus drones affectionately called "Atlus Tax".

Government regulators who want to make a name for themselves by protecting children from early introduction into gambling.

Not buying another ea game,and since xbox gamepass supports ea play, i wont suscribre to gamepass untill the deal is over . Fuck ea
I don't like EAs practice but it's idiotic to not subscribe to gamepass just because of that deal. Firstly, it's only part of gamepass ultimate on consoles.... And you don't even need to download them anyway.

Three

This is the future of Game Pass games. And you know is true.
Before Gamepass there was EA Access as "the best deal" for $5 a month. We are already in the future of EA Access.

Government regulators who want to make a name for themselves by protecting children from early introduction into gambling.
Ah politicians, the scum of the earth, just like how the pharmaceutical companies came to control a large part of US politics and block any and every attempt to change the status quo expect games companies in the near future to have some politicians in their pockets very soon to defend their causes.

I don't like EAs practice but it's idiotic to not subscribe to gamepass just because of that deal. Firstly, it's only part of gamepass ultimate on consoles.... And you don't even need to download them anyway.
Weather i download ea games or not, part of my gamepass subscription goes to ea, i dont see how it is idiotic not giving my money to ea,

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Apologies ahead of time if I offend anyone BUT...

You’ve got to be either 12 years old with absent minded parents or literally retarded to be drawn in by microtransactions.

Like, what the fuck are you doing? They’re almost openly fleecing you, stop perpetuating the problem.

It’s like the dictionary definition of a mug’s game.

🤷🏼‍♂️
Doubt It GIF

You'll be back. They always come back.
Clueless era Silverstone was my teenage catnip, I had the meanest crush on her!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Almost any games that have an economy surrounding MTX like GTA online and Fortnite is designed in ways to push players to spend, so nothing new here.
Yeah, it is part of the engagement loop. Tons of dark patterns there

tenor.gif

Hardcore gamers™ always pretend to give a shit about consumer rights™ yet are happy to pay full price for upscaled lazy ports of last gen Nintendo games and didn't give a fuck when Atlus was pricing ever single 3DS game of theirs 10$ extra or as Atlus drones affectionately called "Atlus Tax".

I quit FIFA because it was no fun anymore. Part of that was that I was clearly being forced to pay in order to compete.

As long as it's only on 18+ games and form of pay has multiple layers of verification as a must, so that parents would know when their stolen credit cards have been used right away, then it's fine by me.

Animagic

Banned

FIFA-21-BANNER.jpg

A 54-page document leaked by an insider to the Canadian Broadcast Corporation suggests that FIFA publisher Electronic Arts is actively pushing players to spend money on microtransactions. The document, which was provided by a leaker from EA Vancouver, appears to be a presentation that frankly discusses the importance of FIFA's microtransaction-fuelled mode FIFA Ultimate Team (FUT).

"We are doing everything we can to drive players there," a portion of the presentation reads. That same bullet-point refers to FIFA Ultimate Team as the "cornerstone" of the game. Another portion of the presentation details how the game's developers use "content teasers" to attempt to incentivize players to spend money on Ultimate Team, summarizing that strategy as "all roads lead to FUT."

According to the CBC, the insider felt obligated to leak the document because he and others dislike working on video games that include loot boxes and other gambling-type elements. An EA representative declined to comment, other than to say that the document was "viewed without context."
"All EA games can be played without spending on in-game items, and the majority of players do not spend," the representative stated.
In a sense, this news should not be surprising to anyone who has followed gaming news in recent years. It's been clear for quite a while that microtransactions are immensely profitable as a business model, with EA's rival Activision Blizzard making $1.2 billion in revenue from in-game microtransactions in just three months. A law firm filed a class-action lawsuit against EA back in 2020, claiming that FIFA Ultimate Team is a form of predatory gambling. For now, however, loot boxes are legal in most jurisdictions, though some countries like the UK have commissioned studies to determine how exactly they affect vulnerable players.

Be a good consumer and buy now.
The board members’ cocaine habits won’t pay for themselves!

RayHell

Every few month there's thread about EA sketchy business...
No one is forcing you to buy their games, I made that decision a while ago but seems like there's too few who vote with their wallet.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Really unsurprising considering EA makes billions from FIFA UT alone. We can moan about until the cows come home, but it's not going to end when publishers are pulling in billions from loot boxes. If anything, with the rise of subscription gaming it's probably only going to get worse.

Zeroing

Banned
Is this the beginning of the end for EA? Or are they just too big and things will continue as normal?
I do see the European Union trying to do something about this... maybe 🤔

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Not this old chestnut again......

Will the industry ever learn?
Youtubers will have a field day with this.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

FIFA-21-BANNER.jpg

Cus8my3.gif

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Doubt It GIF

You'll be back. They always come back.

Of all the publishers out there, EA is the one I could probably drop and it not bother me. Even Battlefield doesn't feel like it used to, and outside of Squadrons I wasn't enamored with their Star Wars offerings.

Not saying I will. I don't agree with EA's strategy because so many children play their games, but the loss of my $60 - $120 a year ain't gonna mean shit at the end of the day.

Top Bottom