• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA FY18 Q1: Battlefield 1 hits 21 million players, UT up 11% YoY, record cash flow

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not too many stats from the basic press release given they released nothing this quarter.

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced preliminary financial results for its first fiscal quarter ended June 30, 2017.

”Q1 was an outstanding quarter, with thriving player communities in our top franchises like Battlefield, our EA SPORTS portfolio, Star Wars, and The Sims continuing to grow our network and drive our digital business," said Chief Executive Officer Andrew Wilson. ”We have built strong momentum, and now we are accelerating into a year of tremendous innovation, where extraordinary new games, content-rich live services, and expanding global competitions will deliver more fun for our players and fuel growth for Electronic Arts."

”We had a great start to the fiscal year, primarily due to our event-driven live services," said Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen. ”Our operating cash flow was the highest ever for a first quarter, and underlines how live services have fundamentally transformed our business model. Driven by innovation and live services, we expect to continue to grow our profitability and cash generation."

News and ongoing updates regarding EA and its games are available on EA's blog at www.ea.com/news.

Selected Operating Highlights and Metrics:

• Digital net sales* of $3.147 billion for the trailing-twelve-month period represents 63% of total net sales, up 23% year-over-year.
  • Ultimate TeamTM total unique player population grew 11% year-over-year.
  • BattlefieldTM 1 had more than 21 million players joining the game as of quarter end.
  • Monthly active players for The SimsTM 4 on PC increased more than 20% year-over-year.
  • FIFA Mobile unique player base grew to more than 95 million.
  • Since launching its first season, NBA LIVE Mobile has engaged more than 70 million unique users.
  • * Net sales is defined as the net amount of products and services sold digitally or sold-in physically in the period.

Selected Financial Highlights and Metrics:

All financial measures are presented on a GAAP basis.

Net cash provided by operating activities was $176 million, a record for the first fiscal quarter.
Net cash provided by operating activities for the trailing-twelve-months was a record $1.872 billion.
In Q1, EA repurchased 1.4 million shares for $150 million.
Source: http://news.ea.com/press-release/company-news/electronic-arts-reports-q1-fy18-financial-results

Pastry

Banned
Battlefield 4 was slightly down on Battlefield 3. Battlefield 3 capped out around 17 million IIRC.

It's their best result for the series thus far.

Wow! Glad to see the risk of a different setting worked out then. I don't enjoy it as much as 4 but I'm still playing for a couple of hours every week.

I'm guessing they count EA/Origin access trials as well. But still great none the less. Hopefully the next Battlefield skips season pass so we can have stronger player retention.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm guessing they count EA/Origin access trials as well. But still great none the less. Hopefully the next Battlefield skips season pass so we can have stronger player retention.

Given how they've kept trying to change the model and give out more content and premium trials and etc, I think it's pretty clear they wish they hadn't actually made a traditional season pass with this one.

Theorry

Given how they've kept trying to change the model and give out more content and premium trials and etc, I think it's pretty clear they wish they hadn't actually made a traditional season pass with this one.

Yeah. Its making the best of it right now.

Can Battlefront 2 reach those numbers?

The first game sold around 16 million copies last I heard so all things being equal I think 21 million copies isn't out of the question. I'm sure there's far more factors involved but simply put I think it's doable.

Welfare

Wonder how that'll grow with it and TF2 hitting the Vault this quarter. Great result for the franchise.

Akai__

The first game sold around 16 million copies last I heard so all things being equal I think 21 million copies isn't out of the question. I'm sure there's far more factors involved but simply put I think it's doable.

A SP campaign and having the hype arround Star Wars: The Last Jedi will help with that, probably.

Theorry

Really curious how DICE is gonna do the cosmetic stuff in Battlefront 2. As they are terrible with it. And now they need to step up even more to compensate of no Premium.

Surprising, as these numbers look terrible.

http://bf1stats.com/

22k players peak for PC? and currently 11k on. Even those console numbers don't look so hot.

yikes

Terrible? Those numbers are solid for peak, and really good for current as most people are sleeping right now. Compare those numbers to Titanfall 2(which I love) or other big shooters and it's on or near the top.

Welfare

Surprising, as these numbers look terrible.

http://bf1stats.com/

22k players peak for PC? and currently 11k on. Even those console numbers don't look so hot.

yikes
I believe someone from DICE has already said these sites don't track everyone playing at once and also BF1 is consistently in the top 10 XB1 titles played so that isn't bad.

Almost 100K playing in total tight now is a good number.

Renekton

I've always thought BF1's success was not because of content delivery model but because the WW1 setting was interesting and well-marketed.

Also, FUT is evil.

CryptiK

I believe someone from DICE has already said these sites don't track everyone playing at once and also BF1 is consistently in the top 10 XB1 titles played so that isn't bad.

Almost 100K playing in total tight now is a good number.
Nope Im pretty sure that site is accurate.

Smokey

Very solid for BF1. Really enjoyed my time with it , 100+ hours, on PC. I have it on XB1 too, but I can't play BF1 worth shit on a controller.

Top Bottom