• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA FIFA divorce looking like a done deal

I'm the only person in my friend group who knows "story of seasons" is the new harvest moon, not the new harvest moon.
The FIFA name will carry a lot.
Especially as EA can't mention it anymore and say "the old FIFA games are now EA Sports whatever.
They can't use the name at all anymore.

JLB

Banned
I'm the only person in my friend group who knows "story of seasons" is the new harvest moon, not the new harvest moon.
Especially as EA can't mention it anymore and say "the old FIFA games are now EA Sports whatever.
wat? ha nah, its not a legal muzzle.
See, this a non issue. EA could easily just rename the previous version of fifa to whatever the next name of the series to let everyone know about the change.

wat? ha nah, its not a legal muzzle.
See, this a non issue. EA could easily just rename the previous version of fifa to whatever the next name of the series to let everyone know about the change.
Lol yes. That's not the point.
They can't advertise the new game as the game from the makers of the old FIFA games anymore, because it includes the FIFA trademark.

jigglet

Banned
Unless FIFA has their game ready immediately, they're screwed.

All it takes is one year for Average Joe to walk into a shop and ask for Fifa, then to be told oh the name has changed, then bam, they're used to the new name. One year. It's not like it's going to take 10 years for people to flick that switch. People are generally resistant to change but when there are zero other options, they will learn fast.

daffyduck

Maybe americans plus 7 non american human beings just to be more precise?
Not even close.

Mad Max Reaction GIF

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
1986? I googled it and the game came out in 1981. But they must had released it a few times as there's 1986 and even 1988 copyright versions!
Atari corp years were totally bananas, stuff reprinted randomly, stuff sent to the wrong countries games with mismatched labels (2600 label on 7800 game and vice versa) and some times the wrong games in the packaging (even wrong labels)

Ozriel

M$FT

Of course they can. The license periods cover the old games.

But more importantly, marketing and updates to the existing software will notify 95% of the userbase within a month.

Neilg

Lol yes. That's not the point.
They can't advertise the new game as the game from the makers of the old FIFA games anymore, because it includes the FIFA trademark.
I'm pretty sure they have the trademark until late 2022 - they have one game left where they can technically use it. They could call the next game 'EAFC presents FIFA', then the following year drop it down to EAFC

Top Bottom