• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA FIFA divorce looking like a done deal

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022...ally-move-forward-with-fifa-less-soccer-game/

Not sure we've ever seen such a large licensing dispute in the history of gaming here.

EA losing the license to one of the largest gaming franchises is going to send shockwaves through the industry.

Will be interesting to see who takes up the mantle of FIFA going forward, whether it be T2 or Konami or if a first-party decides it is worth dropping money on. I can imagine it would be incredibly valuable to Microsoft who has struggled in Europe relative to their overall success, which makes it just as valuable to Sony who really needs to maintain their European market share.

EA is obviously betting that even without the name players will recognize the game as a continuation of the game they've always played. I think it would take not only paying the absurd money FIFA is asking for, but putting out a substantially better soccer game for a rival to actually take that market share from EA.

I don't like EA, but this is a worthwhile gamble for them.

Hardensoul

I don’t play FIFA, but my nephews play it due to the players and their club teams. But does EA still have the players or club teams? Or they just losing the FIFA name?

If EA just losing FIFA name it may not be that bad! Imo

Edit: EA did license some club teams, sorry article is not very detail in those deals or player licensing!

Last edited:
I don’t play FIFA, but my nephews play it due to the players and their club teams. But does EA still have the players or club teams? Or they just losing the FIFA name?

Yes, from the sounds of it EA has kept its club and player licenses. It’s losing all aspects of FIFA from its game though.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
FIFA is going to come back crawling in a few years then. I don't know what they are thinking
Konami is the only dev that can make a competing football game, unless someone is already working on one for years and is able to surprise everyone. You can't just ignore decades worth of experience, slap the FIFA label on something worse than eFootball and expect it to compete against EA. It's the same with the NBA, NHL, MLB and WWE labels. Those labels make good publicity but the labels alone are not enough to sell your game. Though part of me wishes Sega never sold there Sports division to 2K and kept the fight with EA sports.

oldergamer

Give me a few minutes to get confirmation on this. I was told EA was on this path months back as Fifa wanted 2 billion for the name license.

ParaSeoul

Edit: EA did license some club teams, sorry article is not very detail in those deals or player licensing!
The name is worth a lot to normies.

A.Romero

If they are keeping the players names and likenesses and clubs I don't see how missing the FIFA title would have any impact at all. I don't think anybody cares.

What EA really needs to do is keep parity among versions. I won't get 22 even at $5 because the PC version is gimped.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Jaybe

EA and FIFA will figure it out and settle. This is just them both saying how much they don’t need each other as a negotiating ploy. There will be a drop dead date and concessions will made at the eleventh hour to get a deal done.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If I was EA I'd bail on that deal long time ago. I think it was $1 billion for 4 years. So $250 million per year. FIFA sells what? 20 million copies annually? So around $12 per game goes right to FIFA.

It's not like EA's FIFA game has stiff competition or anything. The only game thats out there (and stinks and sells a fraction of) is Konami's.

If I was EA, I'd offer them zero. Go your own way like now. If EA's soccer game keeps selling as much as usual it'll show the FIFA branding means nothing and if FIFA wants it they pay EA to put it on the game.

I don't play FIFA games so originally I thought the FIFA brand involved leagues and players of some sort. Then when I found out it's strictly the name, forget it.

Last edited:

Shifty

If they are keeping the players names and likenesses and clubs I don't see how missing the FIFA title would have any impact at all. I don't think anybody cares.

What EA really needs to do is keep parity among versions. I won't get 22 even at $5 because the PC version is gimped.
Joe Football on the street sees the name and opens his wallet. It remains to be seen whether EA are going to be able to convert that over to a new title with zero existing recognition outside of the EA Sports name.

There's probably a band of customers who are in it for EA's gameplay model specifically fucking mooks lol, but the folks that only own a console because it has content adjacent to their sport of choice are loyal to FIFA, not EA.

Source: My normie football nut neighbours.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
EA should bail now and save themselves the money they pay FIFA.

There’s zero gamble there, even with a name change, 99% of their userbase will be informed within the first couple of months

Neilg

The name is worth a lot to normies.

normies into football also know that FIFA as an organization is ran by a gang of crooks, so if EA's marketing campaign covers 'the football game you know & love, we still have ultimate team, we still have the players / clubs, it's only a name change', it will be completely irrelevant. They'll keep the box design similar but change 'FIFA' to 'EAFC' so it's visually recognizable too.

Ozriel

M$FT
Joe Football on the street sees the name and opens his wallet. It remains to be seen whether EA are going to be able to convert that over to a new title with zero existing recognition outside of the EA Sports name.

There's probably a band of customers who are in it for EA's gameplay model specifically fucking mooks lol, but the folks that only own a console because it has content adjacent to their sport of choice are loyal to FIFA, not EA.

Joe Football will have only one soccer/football game on the shelves for the next two years. He’ll quickly learn that that game is what used to be called football.

That’s if he isn’t already aware when his copy of FIFA 22 updates with a patch and changes the name, with a new splash screen.

Which dev do you think is poised to make a FIFA game in the next couple of years?

Dibils2k

a new football game soon, i dont have a problem with that

aslong as PES doesnt just go and buy FIFA naming rights, that would be boring

Boss Mog

FIFA should be a game as service, just like Destiny. SAME F GAME EVERY F YEAR. I`m glad EA is getting the F.
Yeah it would make the most sense, one game per generation, updated constantly. My guess is that the number crunchers at EA decided it was more profitable to sell people a new $60-70 game every year.

Shifty

Joe Football will have only one soccer/football game on the shelves for the next two years. He’ll quickly learn that that game is what used to be called football.

That’s if he isn’t already aware when his copy of FIFA 22 updates with a patch and changes the name, with a new splash screen.

Which dev do you think is poised to make a FIFA game in the next couple of years?
Perhaps if EA markets the hell out of it, but we're talking about people who are in no way plugged into the video game sphere - for whom ASDA is the game retailer of choice, and Sky Sports ads are the primary means of discoverability. I suppose the situation isn't going to prevent EA from advertising through the usual channels, but FIFA still has the recognition advantage in that field.

As for changing the name via update, is there any existing precedent for that? I can see them sticking some ads in the menu, but given factors like platform TRCs, title databases and boxed copies, I'd be surprised if a full rebrand was as simple as swapping out some logos and firing off a patch to the platform holders without any form of red tape.

And developer-wise, no idea 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
If they are not losing the rights to the teams and player likeness, it doesn't hurt EA's bottomline.

At the end of the day, EA still gets to make another gambling game for children.

GymWolf

Time to divorce from the UFC aswell, let someone else who actually care do the games.

Last edited:

Neilg

Perhaps if EA markets the hell out of it, but we're talking about people who are in no way plugged into the video game sphere - for whom ASDA is the game retailer of choice, and Sky Sports ads are the primary means of discoverability. I suppose the situation isn't going to prevent EA from advertising through the usual channels, but FIFA still has the recognition advantage in that field.
EA are saving $2 BILLION by not going with FIFA. how much marketing do you think they can do and still come out on top?
to give you a hint, they can spend more than anyone has ever spent to market an entertainment product, by some distance, and still have a billion dollars change left over.

EA are allowed to use the name until december 31st 2022. That means they can run ads using both names, and explicitly say 'FIFA is now going to be called EAFC'

They'd also be able to run ads within the old games. all the games without being patched, if online, can pull dynamic ads. They absolutely will not have a problem communicating this change to people.

I can guarantee you that pretty much anyone that plays soccer / football games would know what was up if they dropped the FIFA from the title. They wouldn't be lost as to which game to buy. If EA spent a 1/3 of that money marketing the new title they'd be A-OK.

HTK

Banned
I think FIFA loses here tbh, unless Sony and Microsoft throw some cash behind it and seriously invest in a proper football game. All I know is they have a lot of catching up to do.

PaintTinJr

EA are saving $2 BILLION by not going with FIFA. how much marketing do you think they can do and still come out on top?
to give you a hint, they can spend more than anyone has ever spent to market an entertainment product, by some distance, and still have a billion dollars change left over.

EA are allowed to use the name until december 31st 2022. That means they can run ads using both names, and explicitly say 'FIFA is now going to be called EAFC'

They'd also be able to run ads within the old games. all the games without being patched, if online, can pull dynamic ads. They absolutely will not have a problem communicating this change to people.
Very unlikely on being able to co-brand the new game name with the Fifa license currently- if the people doing the contracts at Fifa did their job.

Even with a massive marketing spend they can never reach the eyeballs that the Fifa brand does - as the governing body of the no.1 sport on the planet, I suspect.

EA's hit and miss game since the late 90's has only sold because they've corned the market with the ubiquitous name of football. Konami could release Winning Elven 6 Final evolution (GC) on Switch, and pay for the license for just one year, and potentially wipe out the stronghold EA's Fifa game has world wide.

EA are probably right about not paying the price, but if Konami do it just once with PES, EA might not financially survive-as-is to properly regret it. They've built their success exploiting the name, and now they'll be at the potential mercy of others doing the same. Their biggest problem is that even the best Fifa doesn't hold a candle to ISS Pro Evo on the PS1 for gameplay, never mind PS4 PES, so they can't rely on the gameplay getting them sales compared to the competition

NickFire

EA is taking a risk. But FIFA is the one taking the biggest risk. If they think anyone can just make a top end sports game, they are being very shortsighted.

cormack12

Gold Member
Konami redemption arc
ezgif-2202406948.gif

This works well for EA, rebrand it as a next gen, evolved football game. Because we all think 'stale' when we think FIFA. New name buys them another ten years

Last edited:

CeeJay

Reduce the size of the FIFA branding on the marketing and add FUT for the next game. Loose the FIFA contract and then rebrand as...

FUT 202X
Football Ultimate Team

Job done.

Last edited:

NickFire

I think I would call it FC if I were EA. The two syllables is in line with Fifa, Madden, and 2k (which most NBA 2k players call it). Simple and concise.

NickFire

EA Soccer coming.
I initially thought that when the rumors first came out a while back. But would that work for non-US players? I've never been sure how far removed the name was outside the US. I just know that outside the US there is football and American football.

Elios83

This is kinda "end of an era" huge.
EA will have to compete like Konami was used to with PES.
I wonder who's gonna get the licence.
It seems like it costs way too much, it leaves very little freedom to implement new gameplay modes, you obviously can't do exclusives and no one in the industry except for EA and Konami has the know how to make soccer games.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Yes, from the sounds of it EA has kept its club and player licenses. It’s losing all aspects of FIFA from its game though.
That's so strange, I guess in the grand scheme of things it won't matter; however everyone knows their games by that name.

Guess they'll have to rebrand their entire soccer franchise.

Top Bottom