• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Dropping Project CARS Franchise

xrnzaaas

So what was the issue with PC3 exactly?
It was much more arcade, missing some of the crucial sim elements from previous games like pistops or tyre & fuel management. I think the reception would be better if it was created & marketed as a spin-off game (like what Forza has done with Horizon many years ago), not the third main entry in the series. Instead they alienated their core fanbase and the sales of pCARS 3 were 75% lower or something like that.

Last edited:

Nemesisuuu

PC3 was great for what it was, they just made wrong decision with naming convention. If it was named differently it would do just fine. PC version was great, console version had stutter in some scenarios that was never fixed, it even sutters on Series X so no brute forcing.

For me - game was like Driveclub with better physics, it worked great with gamepad.

Project Cars 2 was awesome, although flawed, PC1 had some bigger problems at launch.

IMO shame, but franchise was handled wrong with 3rd instalment so no surprise there.

Ian Bell and some people from SMS are working on GTR successor, so you can think of that like Project Cars 4.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Battlefield next.
I cannot honestly believe you'd come out and sa..

No, you're right. It was a good twenty years but you can tell by the last few the team has lost their best, sadly.

I still stand by the fact that 1942 was the best of the lot. Simple, large and amazing. Battlefield never really captured that feeling again no matter how many hours spent on each.

Daytonabot

Banned
198125_some-years-from-now-gbrobq.png
They should have done this as soon as the doctors left.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
PC1 was the best looking racing game, bar none at the time, but very, very demanding on both CPU & GPU.

PC2 was a more refined game, with (ssome) of kinks ironed out but went through a visual downgrade to get framerates up (wet weather effects, reflections & lighting were drastically reduced) & was completely unplayable with a controller on PC.

PC3 was hot, console chasing garbage & looked significantly worse than 1 & 2, more like a Codemaster arcade racer circa 2015.

Nemesisuuu

PC1 was the best looking racing game, bar none at the time, but very, very demanding on both CPU & GPU.

PC2 was a more refined game, with (ssome) of kinks ironed out but went through a visual downgrade to get framerates up (wet weather effects, reflections & lighting were drastically reduced) & was completely unplayable with a controller on PC.

PC3 was hot, console chasing garbage & looked significantly worse than 1 & 2, more like a Codemaster arcade racer circa 2015.
Didn't have any problem playing PC2 with gamepad or steering wheel on PC, Xbox or PS.

Edit: I'm just curious what you didn't like about gamepad controls in PC2.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Meh, can't blame 'em. With those recent acquisitions they already have so many different IP that revolve around motorsports and racing. It's only logical that they would drop something to avoid over saturation and other Codemasters' IPs are way more popular than Project Cars ever was.

I'm not too broken up about it either. Seems like the only reason the first game ever got so popular was due to impressive visuals but then it only went downhill from there. I played the first one a little but it just felt so dull to play, and I love all sorts of racing games.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Didn't have any problem playing PC2 with gamepad or steering wheel on PC, Xbox or PS.

Lots of people were complaining about it at the time and the response of the dev team on the PC support forums at the time, said it all....Basically, if you want to play PC2 on PC, get a wheel.

I guess NfS for Arcade and Grid for Sim(-lite) going forward? Together with Colin McRae Dirt Rally, soon WRC 2023?, Ken Block Dirt and F1 they have certainly a racing armada under their belt.
Fusing it with Grid would make perfect sense. Unless Grid is also disappearing, then I don't know. Maybe beside Forza and GT there is too little space.
Anyway car models can probably be used in their other games, and some engine bits maybe too. If they don't fire them, the involved people will probably still work on racing games, so not much of a change for anyone. Just an IP less for us.

SkylineRKR

I didn't like Project Cars at all. Maybe it was good on PC? I actually loved Shift 2, the sense of speed, cockpit view and AI. The controls just weren't great, though you could kind of adjust it. EA dropping it makes sense. They have Codemasters and NFS.

Top Bottom