• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Dropping Project CARS Franchise

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

EA is dropping Project CARS, GamesIndustry.biz can reveal.

The Slightly Mad Studios-developed series was launched in 2015, with EA confirming today that it has made the decision to "stop further development and investment" in the franchise.

The announcement was made internally and it's unclear at this stage to which extent staff could be affected. EA said that employees working on Project CARS will be moved into "suitable" roles "wherever [they] can."

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
497.gif

Mowcno

Project Cars 3 was awful... Though they said they were returning back to the style of the first two with the next so might have been good. But oh well.

35cent

That's a shame. I loved PC2 and I think they were building the next version of the Madness engine with PC4 which was supposed to be a sim game again. Oh well, there's always AMS2 I guess aka the game PC3 should have been.

Griffon

EA really is a graveyard.

They would've been dead themselves ten times over if it wasn't for their annual sports games revenue.

RaZoR No1

Another Racing franchise dead...
Racing games are getting more niche..
In the past racing games were used to demonstrate the power of the consoles etc. but currently other games / genres took over.
Additonally gamers beeing not satisfied with the games, handling, features, car lists, licensing etc. does not make it easy for smaller devs to release a proper racing game.

Just look at the PS2 gen how many racing we got compared to now.

+ EA has already some experience with Slightly Mad Studios (NFS Shift series). Probably did help EA to decide faster.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Why did they stray from the Project Cars formula in the first place. I mean, even an idiot would realize that repelling their audience wouldn't be a winning strategy.. Better left at PC2.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
Assetto corsa, iRacing, Automobilista and on and on and on and on....
Yes, those are all great. And we have a new Test Drive coming.

• Forza Horizon
  • Forza Motorsport
  • Gran Turismo
  • Assetto Corsa
  • iRacing
  • Automibilista
  • Test Drive Unlimited
  • Need for Speed
Though I would have taken a PC4 that went back to PC2 simulation.

Filben

No wonder. If you try to make a realistic motorsport game but, as only one example, remove the ability to do pit stops and make tyre changes AUTOFUCKINGMATICALLY on the road, while driving, when the weather changes because they think it DISTRACTS from the racing experience otherwise... I don't know what to tell these devs anymore... utterly clueless.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

Why did they stray from the Project Cars formula in the first place. I mean, even an idiot would realize that repelling their audience wouldn't be a winning strategy.. Better left at PC2.
They could not keep up with the best/better sims so they tried to get casual gamers, which failed hard.

Outlier

LOL. That's what happens when you SELL OUT!

I tried playing PC1 on PS4. AWFUL controls.
Then I tried playing PC2 on PC, with control. AWFUL controls.
Then they fixed the controls for PC3, but broke the core purpose of the game... Didn't play it.

3 strikes and they've got what they had coming.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
LOL. That's what happens when you SELL OUT!
I tried playing PC1 on PS3. AWFUL controls.
Then I tried playing PC2 on PC, with control. AWFUL controls.

Then they fixed the controls for PC3, but broke the core purpose of the game... Didn't play it.

3 strikes and they've got what they had coming.
I had ZERO control issues with PC1 or PC2. Found them to be awesome, especially after some tweaking. Never played PC3, but that is because I heard it was a dumpster fire.

Ozriel

M$FT
Several franchises have a bad game, but recovered in the next installment.
But EA just gives up on their games very easily.

Most of those manage to sell decent amounts and still maintain some potential. No matter how bad 2042 was, they aren’t going to can Battlefield. And they still sold an impressive amount of units.

Project Cars 3 underperformed at the market. And it didn’t seem to be a big selling franchise before. When you add to that the imminent release of Forza Motorsport for PC and the likely debut of Gran Turismo on PC, it’s hard to imagine a promising future for the title.

xrnzaaas

I won't say that I didn't see this coming. In fact I would be surprised if racing IP's would begin to flourish under EA's wings. They're all going to get moved to making NfS and F1 games eventually (and other non-racing projects).

It's really a shame, I hated the direction they took with pCARS3, but I really enjoyed 1&2 despite the bugs and launch issues. They were good light sims with incredible lists of real tracks, including the mostly forgotten ones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom