• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA confirms that the next-gen Battlefield game will release in holiday 2021

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
unknown.png

During its recent conference call, Electronic Arts has confirmed that the next-gen Battlefield game will release in holiday 2021. According to the publisher, DICE is working on it and we can safely assume that it will be using the Frostbite Engine.
“The next Battlefield is set to launch in holiday 2021, and we are excited to share a lot more about the game in the spring.”
EA claimed that this new Battlefield game will be of a “never-before-seen scale”. As said, this BF game will be only coming to next-gen platforms (including the PC). There are no plans to release this BF game on old-gen consoles (at least for now).
The company has also stated that it has hands-on play testing underway internally. Moreover, DICE has been getting “very positive feedback on the game” as it has “begun to engage its community”.
You can find some brief WIP teasers for this next-gen Battlefield game here.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/ea-confirms-that-the-next-gen-battlefield-game-will-release-in-holiday-2021/

Arkam

never-before-seen scale”. So they are going to rip off a good FPSS like SQUAD? Or does this "scale" mean dumbass cinematics and more elaborate (but still painfully guided) campaign missions and such?

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Don't know if I should be excited at this point. BF4 still holds up. Bad Company 2 awesome, BF3 on PC was amazing. Since BF4 they have been meh.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I hated the changes they made to vehicles with Battlefield 1, they just used it as an excuse to not build intresting maps, oh people now spawn in the planes, means we don't need to build an airstrip...

Honestly Battlefield 4 was truly the last good one, and only after serious work was put in to resolve its issues.

FlyLo

I dunno if I care about Battlefield anymore? BF5 came and went. BF1 was only big because people were down on CoD that year.

Justin9mm

Isn't that a big deal, third party game like Battlefield not releasing on older gen consoles..? I hope this becomes the norm without developers being held back buy the OG Xbox One and PS4.

Reactions: RNG

RNG

Isn't that a big deal, third party game like Battlefield not releasing on older gen consoles..? I hope this becomes the norm without developers being held back buy the OG Xbox One and PS4.
Glad they’re skipping this gen, that means everybody will be able to play on 60 tick servers this time on big player modes on consoles.

Stuart360

Well it will be a year after the consoles launch, meaning there will be what?, 20-30mil total consoles. And the game will probably be supported for a couple of years, and get steady sales over those 2 years as people keep buying the consoles. So yeah they probably wont sell enough copies as they would if they included a current gen version, but they still should sell enough to make a sizeable profit.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They need to add meaningful "downtime" to the gameplay loop. It's always been too one note. Add more gameplay mechanics.

FUBARx89

As long as its not a turd like BFV I'll be happy, even SWBF2 got better support and updates compared to BFV.

I'd kill for a BF4 remaster to tide us over like.

ancelotti

I guess we'll find out if 13 year old girls still care about Battlefield in 2021.

It's a little unfortunate for EA, because it looks like COD: Cold War won't be as well received as MW2019, so there was an early opportunity for them to win back fans (like me) who abandoned the franchise after being invited to take a hike.

-Arcadia-

Banned
A note to the team:

Be historically accurate, and ‘inclusive’ in subtle ways that make sense, and make it a fun product for everyone. Do not use your multihundredmillion dollar franchise to virtue signal, and look down on people, as if you were on Twitter.

Do some gameplay tweaks, keep having that amazing visual technology, and you are on the right track.

cryptoadam

Banned
Ditch WW1+WW2, don't get tempted for Vietnam/Cold War.

Need to go modern or slightly futeristic.

Just adding players won't cut it either, no one is impressed by 128 players or whatever with BR's out there.

Would like for them to bring back grand operations and maybe make it more persistent online world that connects mulitple grand operations together into one giant war front or something.

Either way BF is BF at the end of the day. It will always get hate on and have a million bugs and things to complain about but its still a great online shooter that does something that no one else can. Every BF is shit on when it comes out and then slowly over time gets beloved LOL.

Phase

If it's reminiscent of 3 or 4 I'll be all in. Those are an absolute blast and have great maps. They're both still installed on my PC because I get the urge to play every once in a while still.

One thing that I need though - game modes/maps made for smaller player counts. There's a sweetspot for me in BF and that's between 8v8 and 16v16. The squad game modes were cool too. Any more and my enjoyment drops.

Last edited:
unknown.png

During its recent conference call, Electronic Arts has confirmed that the next-gen Battlefield game will release in holiday 2021. According to the publisher, DICE is working on it and we can safely assume that it will be using the Frostbite Engine.

EA claimed that this new Battlefield game will be of a “never-before-seen scale”. As said, this BF game will be only coming to next-gen platforms (including the PC). There are no plans to release this BF game on old-gen consoles (at least for now).
The company has also stated that it has hands-on play testing underway internally. Moreover, DICE has been getting “very positive feedback on the game” as it has “begun to engage its community”.
You can find some brief WIP teasers for this next-gen Battlefield game here.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/ea-confirms-that-the-next-gen-battlefield-game-will-release-in-holiday-2021/

This will: a) launch with ~5 maps with a full price tag, b) receive a newb Xmas nerf, c) be on sale for $20 within 2 weeks, d) fail to deliver on any promised timely content in the near term nor the long term, or e) all of the above?

Last edited:

FUBARx89

I guess we'll find out if 13 year old girls still care about Battlefield in 2021.

It's a little unfortunate for EA, because it looks like COD: Cold War won't be as well received as MW2019, so there was an early opportunity for them to win back fans (like me) who abandoned the franchise after being invited to take a hike.

I think I've just cut myself on that edge, can I sue?

As shit as BF has got since they shit out BF1, it's still head and shoulders above cod. Even when they try to emulate it with fast TTK times.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just as long as it isn’t a “historically accurate” woke fest I am all in, I miss BF4 days, sank so much time into that

Top Bottom