• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA CEO Andrew Wilson Comments on Rumors of Possible Acquisition

Dead Space is definitely dead. EA make sure to kill it off when they dissolved Visceral. yes they're doing a remake of the original Dead Space, but I see it as more of a money grab and maybe testing the water to see if maybe they can also squeeze more money out of the the whole series if they remake them all. that and the fact is we have The Callisto Protocol coming soon.

on topic thou, EA would be a good buy for sure just for the sport games alone. I have no interest what so ever of most of EA's output these days, but even I know that they make bank selling the same sports games with a new coat of paint every year to all the people buying them up. that and all the loot boxes/mtx shit. on a business stand point, if the price is a right, I'm sure someone will want to buy it.
Say what you want, but EA did a great job with mass effect legendary, maybe I'm alone on this but for now I'll give dead space the benefit of the doubt.... Though I never played og dead space (I know) so I might be more hopeful than most

anthony2690

Banned
FIFA is now no longer tied to EA I think? I think this was the last year of the license. Plus Battlefield 2042 tanking. I’m sure they’re still fine and as many people have said, they have a lot of IP, but there are other developers/publishers that would be more tempting potentially. I was only joking, I’m sure someone wants to buy them. I just hate all this consolidation nonsense.

EA have all the club's/licenses still, literally every single football club on twitter posted their support of ea saying they are in the club.

As the next EA football game after FIFA 23, is EA SPORTS FC.

The only thing is, they don't have the FIFA name anymore, as someone at FIFA shots themselves in the foot and lost themselves free money.

They would also have the apex ip what is mega popular.

Star wars Jedi Survivor (would also be another huge get)
Dragon Age 4
Skate reboot.
Need for speed
Madden
Codemasters/formula one games/license
The next mass effect game
The upcoming black panther game.
& Apparently another marvel single player game.
Dead space remake
Sims.
Battlefield ip, I can imagine when it comes to ea play (it will probably get a big boost, assuming it's in a decent state by then)
+ Their back catalog

I know you was commenting in jest, but EA is an insane get, when you look at them.

I hope they stay third party though and have a capcom resurgence moment, where people look at them fondly again.

Say what you want, but EA did a great job with mass effect legendary, maybe I'm alone on this but for now I'll give dead space the benefit of the doubt.... Though I never played og dead space (I know) so I might be more hopeful than most

trust me, I would love nothing better than being wrong on this. Dead Space is one of my all time favorite game. but EA being EA and their track record honestly speaks for itself. hopefully they really can pull it off and revive the franchise, but until then, I won't hold out hope for it.

EDMIX

Dead Space is definitely dead. EA make sure to kill it off when they dissolved Visceral. yes they're doing a remake of the original Dead Space, but

This term sounds more like what someone says about being mad over a new release as oppose to actually defining a IP no longer around. We've seen teams close down and IPs go on to continue without them. So...maybe lets have that term fit what isn't coming out vs what we are triggered by. Using this logic Call Of Duty is dead cause some folks are sad about the last release.

I see it as more of a money grab and maybe testing the water to see if ma

Oh sure, the last Dead Space was not only free as in not a money grab and they already had 3 games ready to roll, the first game could have sold zero and EA back then would have still did part 2 out of the kindness of their hearts /s

This is a moot point.

Games take money to make and must make an amount to continue. That would apply to pretty much every publisher.
Capcom was testing the waters with Onimusha remaster, Sony was testing the waters with The Order 1886.... that isn't some wild dark conspiracy, thats generally what businesses do. So I just see some dead IP as one that doesn't exist any more, as in zero titles at all. Maybe a different term? Dying? on life support? Hospice? lol

Dead = 100% gone.
Hospice game = on its last legs, 1 more bad game and its over lol

the whole series if they remake them all. that and the fact is we have The Callisto Protocol coming soon.

Who knows, I don't even think they'll remake all of them if Dead Space does well, they might jump right into some reboot or something or if they do remake them, they'll outsource to some other team while they do a reboot with another team or something, but all that is a huge maybe. When have we seen whole ass series get remade in a gen and a reboot to continue? I'd love to see it, but...tis fanfiction lol

In terms of The Callisto Protocol, I worry a lot on how that game will do. We might know the team, but gaming in general rarely knows or cares about who made a game outside of a few massive names. We all might know that is part of the original team, but the name of Dead Space will carry a lot of weight going into that remakes release that I feel you'd have some gamers argue that Callisto is copying Dead Space lol We've heard some wild casual talk like that before. I hope its able to be received as its own thing, but lots of heavy hitters coming this fall. I'd want it to continue from Dead Space fame, simply worry not enough know that information to care, as Evil Within didn't outsell Resident Evil. I think most of us feel Evil Within 1 and 2 are better then RE5 and 6, but my point is simply look at how that turned out even with us knowing who made what before.

So its hard to tell how that will stack up, but I digress. I convo for a different day.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i highly doubt MS will be allowed for another big acquisition for a while, especially EA.

Furtheremore, alot of their big hits were just licensed IP.

Imagine you acquire EA, and next day Disney, or Fifa says no more partnership LOL!

Last edited:
This term sounds more like what someone says about being mad over a new release as oppose to actually defining a IP no longer around. We've seen teams close down and IPs go on to continue without them. So...maybe lets have that term fit what isn't coming out vs what we are triggered by. Using this logic Call Of Duty is dead cause some folks are sad about the last release.

Oh sure, the last Dead Space was not only free as in not a money grab and they already had 3 games ready to roll, the first game could have sold zero and EA back then would have still did part 2 out of the kindness of their hearts /s

This is a moot point.

Games take money to make and must make an amount to continue. That would apply to pretty much every publisher.
Capcom was testing the waters with Onimusha remaster, Sony was testing the waters with The Order 1886.... that isn't some wild dark conspiracy, thats generally what businesses do. So I just see some dead IP as one that doesn't exist any more, as in zero titles at all. Maybe a different term? Dying? on life support? Hospice? lol

Dead = 100% gone.
Hospice game = on its last legs, 1 more bad game and its over lol

Who knows, I don't even think they'll remake all of them if Dead Space does well, they might jump right into some reboot or something or if they do remake them, they'll outsource to some other team while they do a reboot with another team or something, but all that is a huge maybe. When have we seen whole ass series get remade in a gen and a reboot to continue? I'd love to see it, but...tis fanfiction lol

In terms of The Callisto Protocol, I worry a lot on how that game will do. We might know the team, but gaming in general rarely knows or cares about who made a game outside of a few massive names. We all might know that is part of the original team, but the name of Dead Space will carry a lot of weight going into that remakes release that I feel you'd have some gamers argue that Callisto is copying Dead Space lol We've heard some wild casual talk like that before. I hope its able to be received as its own thing, but lots of heavy hitters coming this fall. I'd want it to continue from Dead Space fame, simply worry not enough know that information to care, as Evil Within didn't outsell Resident Evil. I think most of us feel Evil Within 1 and 2 are better then RE5 and 6, but my point is simply look at how that turned out even with us knowing who made what before.

So its hard to tell how that will stack up, but I digress. I convo for a different day.

like I said, I would love nothing more than they making a new and good, real Dead Space game. a Dead Space that returns to focus on survival horror. but with the way EA is on mtx and loot boxes, do you blame me for not having having any trust in them?

as for the second part, I guess I should make my opinion more clear. I think they're testing the water to see how much money the remake can pull in. and if it's successful, they'll probably remake the other two as well. at least that's how I feel this is leaning towards. the way it's handled does not feel like their focus is anything else but just the remakes. and I do agree that it's not a big deal that a for profit business is doing that. I'm absolutely fine with it. but at the same time, pure business decision making often ruins good games. look at Dead Space 3 as the prime example. it's a good game in it's core, but the co-op, focus on action and the mtx ruined it and the whole franchise. if they actually care about the franchise, why not put the remake out, and tease a possible new Dead Space as well? they did it with Mass Effect after all. while we're at it, I'm still upset they forced the Steam version to be launch from Origin. I understand the reasoning behind the decision, but I still hate it.

I'm not going to comment on The Casllisto Protocol since we only have the trailers to judge so far. all I would say is that I like what they're showing and I'm willing to give them a chance.

in any case, I'm not the target demographic of EA and I couldn't care less if they got snatch up by someone else, even thou the chance of it happening is small. maybe the higher ups sees the loot box laws in EU and worry that the same can happen in the US, and they feel like they would rather sell it and make bank while they still can? I imagine that's not the case but who knows.

Fahdis

Ubisoft and EA should merge to become the worst company of all time

luhdfU8.png

EDMIX

like I said, I would love nothing more than they making a new and good, real Dead Space game. a Dead Space that returns to focus on survival horror. but with the way EA is on mtx and loot boxes, do you blame me for not having having any trust in them?

Well none of that is in Star Wars Fallen Order and other single player titles they put out and if the remake doesn't have any type of MP, I think you can rest easy knowing now of that is in the remake.

They also stated it won't have any of that.

they'll probably remake the other two as well.

I think that might happen too, but they might have another team do the remakes as they have the new team work on a reboot or something.

If it has no reboot, that would be weird to have a generation with no new Dead Space, but all 3 remakes lol

I don't know if thats ever occurred in gaming before.

look at Dead Space 3 as the prime example. it's a good game in it's core, but the co-op, focus on action and the mtx ruined it and the whole franchise

True, but its hard to say that EA wants those exact things anymore mixing. To say Dead Space won't have any MTX, Star Wars Fallen Order won't have any MTX, then to say Dragon Age 4 will be SP only dropping the MP.

This means maybe EA wants those single player concepts to be just that and those MP concepts like APEX and BF to be just that, as BF 2042 is just MP with no single player.

So as it stands, based on what they are doing currently, I'd assume a remake of Dead Space 2 and 3 might not have any co-op or MP or anything and likely won't have any MTX either, but thats if they exist at all. Those were the days of EA trying to have their cake and eat it too, like a SP and MP rolled into one. With what we are seeing with BF being MP only again and Dragon Age being SP only, its more likely Dead Space really is just going to be a SP only thing for those remakes, but who knows.

, why not put the remake out, and tease a possible new Dead Space as well? they did it with Mass Effect after all.

That is true. That might be exactly what we see if the remake does really well. They might have that team go into some reboot or Dead Space 4 or some wild prequel or something.

I'm not going to comment on The Casllisto Protocol since we only have the trailers to judge so far. all I would say is that I like what they're showing and I'm willing to give them a chance.

True, I'd say both are easy day 1s as we don't have a lot of horror titles exactly like those 2 that are in some scifi setting like that.

I'm not saying we will see the end of Loot Box crazy, crack smoking, meth MTX loving EA lol, but with their latest moves, there is a clear intent to no longer mix those things like single player and multiplayer or single player with MTX. So I think they see APEX works well for that and they see a single player can work well without it and maybe all those flops is what got some at EA to understand you can't have both in some of those games. So we'll probably still see them in their sports stuff, but I don't see that mtx will continue with their single player efforts.

According to Wilson, Electronic Arts could not "be in a stronger position as a standalone company" than it currently is. This information was brought about as part of the latest Q1 earnings call, and it's bound to be bolstered by the fact that EA's live-service games are rather successful. Wilson claimed that the company's objective is to keep its players and shareholders happy and that the current way of doing that doesn't seem to leave much performance on the table.

"We feel very very confident and excited," concluded Wilson, underlining the notion that Electronic Arts isn't very likely to get acquired by a bigger company anytime soon. Alongside its tried-and-true flagships such as Apex Legends and the various sports franchises it's collaborating with, EA also seems to have a hidden ace up its proverbial sleeve. Apparently, there's a major unannounced EA game launching in 2023, and it's entirely possible that it's yet another live-service offering to bolster the publisher's portfolio.
You know that EA said that Single Player games are not important to EA and live-service offering is theyr bread and butter?
Now EA posted a steatment that Single Player games will be also an important part of theyr gameportifolio, and that they developing several singleplayer games now and in the future?
I call it flipflopping....

What rumors?
O, theyr are so many rumors on the internet about gaming.
Sometimes it is to get attention and getting clicks. But people jump on them like sharks on a swarm of fish.
Most rumors you can take with a shipload of salt.
The best thing is to ingore them and wait a few weeks to react. Then most rumors will be debunked.

EDMIX

You know that EA said that Single Player games are not important to EA and live-service offering is theyr bread and butter?
Now EA posted a steatment that Single Player games will be also an important part of theyr gameportifolio, and that they developing several singleplayer games now and in the future?
I call it flipflopping....

I disagree.

I don't believe they ever said anything like that. I've heard folks repeating this type of thing, yet rarely put out any actual link or quote and then say stuff like "flipflopping", but as far as i can see, the comments were talking about the degree of how many play those titles vs EA not putting them out or saying they are dead or saying "not important to EA" or anything of the sort.

Keep in mind, look at the date, Star Wars Fallen Order was already deep in development.

Their comments about "linear games are fading in popularity in the current market." isn't entirely false. We are at a time where titles like that to be successful, they need to be the biggest of big AAA projects and it becoming a rare thing to see those linear single player type games if they are not Tomb Raiders or Uncharted etc. To see flops like The Order or Ryse Son Of Rome makes me feel like those games in a different time would do massive numbers.

So I'd love to see some new linear single player IP just randomly show up and move massive units, but I'd put more money on one of those MP focused mobile titles doing massive downloads then that. We will literally see dozens of those titles that none of us heard of or give a shit about move just monster units, yet many of us will be crossing our fingers that some AA or AAA linear single player title makes it enough to get a sequel.

As it stands, the current gaming market seems to favor that MP, mobile, online type thing.

Keep in mind, none of that means single player games are dead and folks have repeated that nonsense for some time even in light of the very publisher they claimed believed that...putting out single player games.. Thats not flipflopping, thats not them doing a 180, thats many of you exaggerating those statements and then acting as if the appearance of Star Wars Fallen Order 2 is some shock. How the fuck can we get 2, if the comment was supposedly made even before the release of 1? lol They hate single player games sooooo much, they continued Star Wars Fallen Order and even made a sequel? Wouldn't the most logical answer simply be...maybe some of you exaggerated those statements bit? Why make Dragon Age 4 single player only?

Why remake Dead Space?

None of that sounds like the actions of a publisher that believes single player is dead or its not important to them.

Its even more funny cause even saying this comment about live service....they even very, very clearly stated that had nothing to do with closing down Visceral or that star wars game at the time

"For his part, Wilson said the decision to close Visceral and pivot the studio's Star Wars game wasn't about the game needing to have a live service element. "It wasn't about, 'This was just a single-player game [and it] needed to be a live service.' It was more about, 'How do we get to a point where the overall gameplay experience was right for players,'" he explained "

Because if this was based on single player games...why continue development of Fallen Order? Dragon Age 4? Dead Space remake? It means what ever the issue was at that team, may have been about that team and not single player games or star wars or live service etc.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I can't see anyone wanting to buy them until they see how the non-FIFA football game does.

Ozriel

M$FT
Cant blame them. Most of thier successful IP is tied to license agreements. Their downfall is even though they know how to do live servi e games quite well they shied away from it because they want to sell us $60/$70 games every year from said franchises. Battlefield comes to mind as does Anthem. No reason those games should be dead right now but EA didn't want to do the live service thing because not everyone will buy thatdlcs. They'd rather just sell you a new game next year at full price. Problem is games take too long to make now so now they really do need live service games. Sony and EA both found put the hard way they both should've been making live service games.

You lecturing EA about live service games - when they make ‘FIFA’, Madden, Apex Legends and Battlefield games - is quite hilarious

I disagree.

I don't believe they ever said anything like that. I've heard folks repeating this type of thing, yet rarely put out any actual link or quote and then say stuff like "flipflopping", but as far as i can see, the comments were talking about the degree of how many play those titles vs EA not putting them out or saying they are dead or saying "not important to EA" or anything of the sort.

Keep in mind, look at the date, Star Wars Fallen Order was already deep in development.

Their comments about "linear games are fading in popularity in the current market." isn't entirely false. We are at a time where titles like that to be successful, they need to be the biggest of big AAA projects and it becoming a rare thing to see those linear single player type games if they are not Tomb Raiders or Uncharted etc. To see flops like The Order or Ryse Son Of Rome makes me feel like those games in a different time would do massive numbers.

So I'd love to see some new linear single player IP just randomly show up and move massive units, but I'd put more money on one of those MP focused mobile titles doing massive downloads then that. We will literally see dozens of those titles that none of us heard of or give a shit about move just monster units, yet many of us will be crossing our fingers that some AA or AAA linear single player title makes it enough to get a sequel.

As it stands, the current gaming market seems to favor that MP, mobile, online type thing.

Keep in mind, none of that means single player games are dead and folks have repeated that nonsense for some time even in light of the very publisher they claimed believed that...putting out single player games.. Thats not flipflopping, thats not them doing a 180, thats many of you exaggerating those statements and then acting as if the appearance of Star Wars Fallen Order 2 is some shock. How the fuck can we get 2, if the comment was supposedly made even before the release of 1? lol They hate single player games sooooo much, they continued Star Wars Fallen Order and even made a sequel? Wouldn't the most logical answer simply be...maybe some of you exaggerated those statements bit? Why make Dragon Age 4 single player only?

Why remake Dead Space?

None of that sounds like the actions of a publisher that believes single player is dead or its not important to them.

Its even more funny cause even saying this comment about live service....they even very, very clearly stated that had nothing to do with closing down Visceral or that star wars game at the time

"For his part, Wilson said the decision to close Visceral and pivot the studio's Star Wars game wasn't about the game needing to have a live service element. "It wasn't about, 'This was just a single-player game [and it] needed to be a live service.' It was more about, 'How do we get to a point where the overall gameplay experience was right for players,'" he explained "

Because if this was based on single player games...why continue development of Fallen Order? Dragon Age 4? Dead Space remake? It means what ever the issue was at that team, may have been about that team and not single player games or star wars or live service etc.
I disagree. EA said yesterday the oposite. Go to VGC.com
They have an article about it out of the mouth of EA themselve. They gonna bring more Single Player games in theyr portifolio. So theyr gonna do it if you want to believe ore not thats on you.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Wut? It will do just as well as the FIFA games. Their fanbase will adapt to the new name with ridiculous ease.
Probably true, but can't see anyone wanting to take the risk when they can just wait and see. If Sony or MS for example picked up the FIFA license and went multiplat with it then EA could be in a bit of trouble for example.

EDMIX

I disagree. EA said yesterday the oposite. Go to VGC.com
They have an article about it out of the mouth of EA themselve. They gonna bring more Single Player games in theyr portifolio. So theyr gonna do it if you want to believe ore not thats on you.

This is news to me lol Link? I'm also not sure what you are saying, maybe you made a mistake " They gonna bring more Single Player games in theyr portifolio. So theyr gonna do it if you want to believe ore not thats on you." I'm not saying they won't.

I'm in fact saying they will continue putting out single player games like Dragon Age 4 and such.

this?

Yea so I'm not debating if EA wants to do single player titles, simply this idea that they believe its dead or not important etc as in what was said prior.

edit. Twas a good read. Sounds like what they've been saying for a while though. 70% of their business being that is much more then I thought originally.

poppabk poppabk after MLB The Show, anything like that is feasible.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Probably true, but can't see anyone wanting to take the risk when they can just wait and see. If Sony or MS for example picked up the FIFA license and went multiplat with it then EA could be in a bit of trouble for example.

By the time any of them finished making a Football game, EAFC would already be long cemented as the premier brand. not to mention that EA also owns exclusive licenses to many clubs and leagues.

FIFA really screwed themselves. It’ll take a minimum 2-3 years to make a competing game.

Shut0wen

[/URL]

According to Wilson, Electronic Arts could not "be in a stronger position as a standalone company" than it currently is. This information was brought about as part of the latest Q1 earnings call, and it's bound to be bolstered by the fact that EA's live-service games are rather successful. Wilson claimed that the company's objective is to keep its players and shareholders happy and that the current way of doing that doesn't seem to leave much performance on the table.

"We feel very very confident and excited," concluded Wilson, underlining the notion that Electronic Arts isn't very likely to get acquired by a bigger company anytime soon. Alongside its tried-and-true flagships such as Apex Legends and the various sports franchises it's collaborating with, EA also seems to have a hidden ace up its proverbial sleeve. Apparently, there's a major unannounced EA game launching in 2023, and it's entirely possible that it's yet another live-service offering to bolster the publisher's portfolio.
Dont get the hate for EA, Andrew wilson has actually made EA a much better company, people hate on for scamming normies, no way would we have gotten good games from respawn, dead space remake and a new skate game

Drew1440

Didn't they censor Miranda's butt?

yurinka

There were some rumours surrounding Apple as a potential suitor...
Here you have another rumor: Blue Box Game Studios is in talks to buy Tencent. :messenger_beaming:

P.S.: Apple doesn't have any game developer, doesn't need them to make an insane amount of money from gaming. I don't see why they would want to buy devs and in this particular case them.

FIFA is now no longer tied to EA I think? I think this was the last year of the license. Plus Battlefield 2042 tanking. I’m sure they’re still fine and as many people have said, they have a lot of IP, but there are other developers/publishers that would be more tempting potentially. I was only joking, I’m sure someone wants to buy them. I just hate all this consolidation nonsense.
EA's next soccer game will continue selling the same. Whoever gets the FIFA license, if somebody is crazy enough to pay the dumb price they ask for it, won't perform as good as EA's game.

FIFA license is only for the name of the game. Doesn't include the license of including in the game the teams, competitions, players, stadiums or clothting brands. EA will continue having these other licenses.

EA has a lot of other super well performers outside FIFA and Battlefield like Sims, Star Wars Jedi Survivor, Apex Legends, Need for Speed, the other sports games and more.

EA is perfectly fine and will continue being perfectly fine, in fact will be better than ever. They don't need to be acquired at all:

image.png

Last edited:
Didn't they censor Miranda's butt?
From what I recall, her butt stayed the same, but they changed the camera angles in numerous scenes throughout the game, Miranda's butt focused ones among them (I think it's dumb, but not particularly a big deal).

Had they actually redesigned it, I think would be worth getting upset about

Top Bottom