• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Announces Battlefield 2042 Crossplay Between Console & PC Will Be Optional

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Good thing, as console cheaters are getting out of hand. At least PC cheaters get banned asap, while console cheaters can't be stopped.
Thing is too Ybarra and I talked about these devices people were using on console on many occasions and while he was still at Xbox he said they could see when people used these devices but at the time Xbox would not take a stand it was up to each Dev.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
the weird thing is that cod warzone and cod MW on PC had no or little to no aim assist for controllers. So id go up against PC KBM users who would annihilate me. Then i would run into console players who would do the same.

in the end i went back to ps4 and its insane just how sticky aim assist is on consoles because you no longer even have to aim. Just press L2 to ADS and fire and your magic bullets will find the player.
Wrong. There are even different settings for aim assist. And you can turn it off.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wrong. There are even different settings for aim assist. And you can turn it off.
Dude I tried everything. Why do you think I would buy the game for $60 on PC and give up 165 fps if there was aim assist on PC?

I googled and researched everywhere. There is little to no aim assist on PC controllers. You only need to compare it against the console versions to see just how sticky the console versions are.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Dude I tried everything. Why do you think I would buy the game for $60 on PC and give up 165 fps if there was aim assist on PC?

I googled and researched everywhere. There is little to no aim assist on PC controllers. You only need to compare it against the console versions to see just how sticky the console versions are.
Did you try the "focusing" setting? It's the most aggressive. But I don't doubt you that on console can be more aggressive.

BeardGawd

Banned
You’re slow 😁

I’ll happily turn it off, but then I’ll be limited to matchmaking with other Xbox players who have also turned it off (crossplay is enabled by default). That could be a small pool for such large games.

They really need to do the following:

1) Add an option for crossplay between consoles - I don’t mind playing PS5 players who a) are also hindered with sticks, and b) don’t run hacks.

2) Make that the default option for console players.
Why can't they allow for people that turned crossplay off to match up with other prople on their system (reagrdless if they have cross play on or off)?

Doesn't make any sense.

BigLee74

Why can't they allow for people that turned crossplay off to match up with other prople on their system (reagrdless if they have cross play on or off)?

Doesn't make any sense.

They probably do, but a good portion of those on your system with crossplay enabled will likely be put into a crossplay game, making them unavailable to be matched with those with crossplay disabled.

Only Dice know the exact algorithm.

HTK

Banned
1. Any cheats that are available on consoles is nowhere near as bad as walls/aimbotting etc... on PC.
2. I'm all for cross-play across all systems, but PC really needs to do something about the rampant cheating. In Warzone it's gotten really bad where people are stopping to play until there is another ban wave.
3. There is aim assist for controller players on PC just like on the consoles. (For those that complain about aim assist in general I suggest you get on a controller if it's that easy. Also Aim Assist is not Aim Bot so don't fool yourself).
4. Warzone has thought me that M/KB and Controller players can co-exist, however PC players still have an advantage with FOV/FPS/Nvidia Filters. I do believe with consoles getting next gen upgrade the game will look better, run at 120fps and if they bring in the FOV it'll be great for everyone.
5. I'm still banned on Warzone for no reason so their anti-cheat system definitely needs improving.
6. I've said this before; I believe in cross-play and it should stay around. Players should be able to play with their friends despite what system they are on. However, PC, Developers, and Console Manufacturers need to get on the same page and really stomp out the rampant cheating, weather it's on PC or on console.

MiguelItUp

I actually appreciate it being default because I want a larger pool. Plus, with the amount of work that's put into getting such a thing work, and work well, why wouldn't it be on default?

I mean, of course, to each their own, but I don't think it's bullshit at all. They want to allow players on various platforms to play one another, they also want larger pools for the game as a whole. Not shocking, especially for a multiplayer-only title.

If it's a problem to anyone, disable it. That's it. Are people complaining about having to toggle something now? Jesus.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again and again, I really don't understand what got us to this point. A few years ago majority wanted bots, and then cross platform and cross play was this awesome new thing that people welcomed and wished we had sooner. Now suddenly people want neither. I swear to god the majority just wants to complain these days.

Also, I guess cheaters have gotten worse? Because since 1942 on PC, I haven't experienced many cheaters at all in the BF series. Ones that were blatantly cheating were removed from servers rather quickly. Even in my limited time in BFV, I didn't notice anything bizarre that ruined my experience other than the game itself, lol.

Are people comparing it to Apex and Warzone? Genuine question. I don't play either, but I am aware that Warzone gets a ton of cheaters that Activision apparently bans in large droves fairly frequently. But that also seems fairly (and unfortunately) standard in a F2P and super popular title.

BF is a popular and known series, yes, but I wouldn't exactly compare what's happening in Warzone to BF, especially with cheaters...

Doesn't make any sense.
I think that would honestly be too convoluted. It'd create way too many queue variations, and likely even longer queue times. Honestly it'd probably muddy the hell out of everything. But that's something they know, and we don't. Surely they have their reasons.

Last edited:
*Console player turns game on for the first time*

Please select cross-play option:

[ ] - I want to be matched console and PC players, including console players who are using a mouse and keyboard.
[ ] - I only want to be matched with console players, unless there's a PC user in my party.

Note: You will be matched with last-gen console users in lower player-count games, when a PS4 or Xbox One user is in your party.

How hard would that be? WTF, EA?

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

No, you don't.

If you turn off crossplay you'll get matchmade only with PS5 (if you're on PS5) or XSX/XSS (if you're on XSX/XSS), just like if you turn off crossplay on PS4/XB1, you'll get matchmade only with PS4 & PS4 Pro (if you're on PS4 & PS4 Pro) and Xbox One & Xbox One X (if you're on Xbox One & Xbox One X)

Basically forced PC crossplay, using shady methods, just like Warzone and Modern Warfare, and all the CoD's after them. The cherry on top is, if you turn it off, a pop-up will come on screen and tell you turn it on every few seconds, long matchmaking time because you're in a tiny minority who turn it off, or entirely forced crossplay without the ability to turn off in games like Modern Warfare (Ground War playlist, if PC is alone in this playlist or Warzone, it wouldn't find a single game lol), Fortnite, and Gears 5 etc.

You're fucked every way. Enjoy.

Lead Community Manager at DICE:

PC version needs the consoles as a crutch.

It sucks but I will just play on one platform.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
They want, "CONSOLE ONLY CROSSPLAY" by default, they want crossplay like Apex Legends.

console players only want to CROSSPLAY with other console players,

Exactly what every console player is asking
It's good to have a console players representative in here. As a console player for years, i didn't know what i actually want all those years, until today. Thank you.

20 million sales don't represent actual players playing everyday, but i got your point. Matchmaking a 6vs6 cod game is easier than a 128 players conquest game, or a warzone game, so they will eventually need pc players imho. Maybe they will enable 32 vs 32 last gen/next gen servers too. How many next gen consoles sold until today and how many of their users will buy BF 2042 and play it everday?

There's definitely a shit-ton of aim assist on the PC with controller. Hell, PC w/ controller is the fucking meta for this game:

I do think near launch, not even sure if it was Warzone or base Modern Warfare, but there was some issue with the aim assist logic and FOV. There's a setting for scaling AA with FOV in the menus now. Any other perceived difference is probably due to FOV, i.e. on PC you have wider FOV, i.e. it feels more zoomed out, i.e. the aim assist bubble takes up a smaller portion of your screen.

Play with 80 FOV on PC and it should feel just like the console version in regards to aim assist.

GreatnessRD

If only these Publishers/Devs took cheating seriously, then none of this would matter. We'd all be able to enjoy cross-play as its intended, but nope. With that said, I think this is needed so console players can exclusively play console players.

Tygeezy

They could, but console users don't want that, so it will be PC lobbies.
We don't know for sure what they are doing unless they released more info im unaware of. The official forum for battlefield paints a different picture. Many want native mouse and keyboard support since a lot of users use an adapter anyway.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
We don't know for sure what they are doing unless they released more info im unaware of. The official forum for battlefield paints a different picture. Many want native mouse and keyboard support since a lot of users use an adapter anyway.

They will never force controller players to match against m&k players - which makes perfect sense.

Tygeezy

They will never force controller players to match against m&k players - which makes perfect sense.
I really don't see the problem with it. There is always the option to use mouse and keyboard if you feel you're at a disadvantage since there is native support. Gyroscope also bridges the gap if devs ever start to get on board with it.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I really don't see the problem with it. There is always the option to use mouse and keyboard if you feel you're at a disadvantage since there is native support. Gyroscope also bridges the gap if devs ever start to get on board with it.
Take a look at Fortnite. If you connect m&k to Xbox you will automatically queue in PC lobbies. Mark my words. No developer in their right mind will match controller players against m&k players per default.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Options are never a bad thing. Was always going to get this on PS5 (with the card shortages); this just makes the decision easier.

Tygeezy

Take a look at Fortnite. If you connect m&k to Xbox you will automatically queue in PC lobbies. Mark my words. No developer in their right mind will match controller players against m&k players per default.
Are you sure about that? I've done my pc with my niece using a switch playing duos and it clearly puts us in switch lobbies. Warzone also doesn't do this.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Are you sure about that? I've done my pc with my niece using a switch playing duos and it clearly puts us in switch lobbies. Warzone also doesn't do this.
Yes I'm sure. Same goes for Apex Legends - the only way to get into PC lobbies is if you have a PC player on your team.

Tygeezy

Yes I'm sure. Same goes for Apex Legends - the only way to get into PC lobbies is if you have a PC player on your team.
Well I can tell you for a fact if you have someone is your party that is a switch user you are placed in switch lobbies despite being on pc with mouse and keyboard. There is also warzone that puts mouse users vs gamepad. So it's certainly going on right now.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
It 100% used to be this way based on inputs but pretty sure they lump everyone together now
Yes if you don't turn it off in settings. Warzone asks if you want to crossplay with PC when queuing.
Well I can tell you for a fact if you have someone is your party that is a switch user you are placed in switch lobbies despite being on pc with mouse and keyboard. There is also warzone that puts mouse users vs gamepad. So it's certainly going on right now.
Yes you get into mixed queues. It's not only Switch players. It's going on for sure, but all whom I know turns it off, cause they (rightfully) don't want a disadvantage.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Okay, so Fortnite does the same as Apex Legends:
"Remember, during cross-platform matchmaking, your entire lobby will be placed against players at the top of the platform hierarchy. For instance, if you’re a PC player playing with a Mobile player in your team, you won’t be matched against other Mobile players but PC players instead, which may put your friend playing in Mobile at a significant disadvantage."
How to enable crossplay in Fortnite for PS5, Xbox Series X, and more (talkesport.com)

Last edited:

Boneless

You're slow.

He won't buy the game because pc crossplay is on by default, which means if he turns off (like all the fake outrage pc arguments online suggest to) he'll be left with a tiny minority of players who turn off, on his own platform (consoles) which has the vast majority of players and sales, which the developers KNOW and implemented this "ON BY DEFAULT" crossplay, just to save the dying pc playerbase.

He's asking crossplay only with consoles, and off with pc, BY DEFAULT. Or just pure console crossplay. Like Apex Legends.

Dying pc playerbase? :') Are you just salty because pc players will wreck you?

The people who turn off crossplay are so miniscule that they can't even find one single game in hours in some regions. Examples are CoD and Fortnite. Because, the tiny population of pc are clubbed with the massive console userbase having crossplay on by default, by default, and if you turn off, you, the console player are in the minority. The only set of people who benefit here are pc players.

They don't need shit. Nice propaganda there. LMAO. The opposite is the actual truth.

CoD on average sells circa 25 million copies annually, and on average less than 1-2 million of those copies are on PC. The low sales are the reason for the constant crossplay begging from pc players, because on average 10% of the overall sales translate to the daily active player count for a game, on all platforms. The only 2 CoD's that sold somewhat well are the OG Modern Warfare back in 2007 (around 5 million on PC) and MW 2 (around 4 million).

This is the pc cod daily active playerbase. You're literally less than hundred in most games.

The unit sales and daily active player numbers are even worse on the Blizzard launcher for BO IIII, MW 2019 and BLOPSCW (Warzone too) are surviving by a hairstrand thanks to console crossplay. WIll die within weeks to months, following console exit from crossplay.

Boot up most of these games on console (some of them even on PS3 and 360) and find hundreds of thousands of players every single day. What you're saying is the equivalent of console players saying "CSGO on pc needs crossplay with consoles to survive, or play with bots" just because CSGO has a PS3 version. It's embarrassing.

I don't even want to insult you by showing the average of 20+ million the average annual CoD does in console sales, because that's not my intention, but know that EVERY CONSOLE PLAYER despises pc crossplay with a burning passion. They ONLY want to crossplay between consoles. By "every console player" I mean the console players who have their main platform of choice where they buy their games on, are consoles. Not the pc gamers who buy a consoles because their platform has 0 players to play with in multiplayer games or for a few exclusives.

The reason crossplay is forced in warzone and cod mw 2019, is because pc would die within a week if it weren't for console crossplay. You won't find any other playlist other than TDM, being populated on PC and discord matchmaking as usual in all pc like you usually do before crossplay became what it is today. It's heading towards that. Console players are not gonna stop asking for console only crossplay, and this will spread across all games from here on out. They ONLY want console crossplay.

PC "NEEDS" console crossplay to even survive their inevitable death (within weeks) in most paid games that have multiplayer, their lifeline is console crossplay. That is the sole reason why pc gamers push this propaganda for crossplay by cleverly hiding behind the "muh friends" curtain. Console will do more than just fine, without even crossplay, let alone console crossplay.

Great post. The PC Master Race has always been a lie. Bend the knee to your Console Kings you cucks. All dozens of you.

Seriously though the active players list for a lot of games is sad, it's no wonder most good game companies don't release their products on PC-only.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
What a load of bollocks so I can't play with my friends that are on a ps4? I'm not touching this hairy turd fuck you dice, you've ruined it for me before it has begun.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
There is no other way to do it.. if you remove aim assist console players can't compete
There is. Reformulate your controller that it does not suck for shooter, or give native support for other inputs that already don't suck.

Blond

Banned
Good. Coming across cheaters in PC is one of the most frustrating gaming experiences.
Battlefield 3 was the worst! Getting headshotted clear across the map made me dump that shit so quick. PC Cod too when the death camera would show someone tracing your head for seconds before you were even visible to headshot you was ridiculous.

1. Any cheats that are available on consoles is nowhere near as bad as walls/aimbotting etc... on PC.
2. I'm all for cross-play across all systems, but PC really needs to do something about the rampant cheating. In Warzone it's gotten really bad where people are stopping to play until there is another ban wave.
3. There is aim assist for controller players on PC just like on the consoles. (For those that complain about aim assist in general I suggest you get on a controller if it's that easy. Also Aim Assist is not Aim Bot so don't fool yourself).
4. Warzone has thought me that M/KB and Controller players can co-exist, however PC players still have an advantage with FOV/FPS/Nvidia Filters. I do believe with consoles getting next gen upgrade the game will look better, run at 120fps and if they bring in the FOV it'll be great for everyone.
5. I'm still banned on Warzone for no reason so their anti-cheat system definitely needs improving.
6. I've said this before; I believe in cross-play and it should stay around. Players should be able to play with their friends despite what system they are on. However, PC, Developers, and Console Manufacturers need to get on the same page and really stomp out the rampant cheating, weather it's on PC or on console.
Wow, an actually nuanced post from someone who is actually informed about the realities of PC and console multi.

Point 1 is the most underrated aspect of the cheating stuff. Sure, console players can cheat in terms of minimizing recoil and some stickier auto aim, but that honestly is absolutely nothing compared to watching someone follow your character through a wall as you move around. Have you guys even seen what this PC cheat stuff looks like? Literally shows every character as visible, shows their equipment/heath, even shows a damn arrow displaying their movement vector. It's insane.

twilo99

There is. Reformulate your controller that it does not suck for shooter, or give native support for other inputs that already don't suck.

I don't think its possible to mechanically/ergonomically make a controller as effective for FPS titles. I think it all stems from the fact that FPS games were developed for mouse/keyboard on PC to begin with, so to try and make them work on controller has always been a hack job.

BigBooper

It's the cheating that gets me. I don't mind getting beat by mouse and keyboard, but the whole reason I switched to console for MP was the hacks on pc. Good that they give you a choice.

Top Bottom