• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA and FIFA officially end their partnership

Kokoloko85

No they are all licensed seperately and will remain.

Konami be keeping their eye on the ball

eFootball-2000x1270-1.jpg
Lol EA wasnt much better. I played it last year after like 10 years. Exact same shit as when I stopped playing it, same crappy lifeless animations and sound effects, so repetitive

EA is bad at nearly everything they do, so this is good news!

As an NFL fan, I can only hope EA’s relationship with the NFL ends as well, because I’m freakin’ dying for a great NFL game again!

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
I buy them on sale or second hand a few months after release. Usually comes in half price.
Gamepass Is the way to do it IMO, if you're okay with getting it about halfway through the year, but obviously it's nice to have some you actually own as well.

TrebleShot

EFootball 22 V1.0 is really fun and plays a nice game of football even online.
I have no confidence in this, it will be even more ridiculous and based on x100 speed skill moves and Fortnite style promos etc.

Portugeezer

Bunch of greedy cunts part ways...

Matt Leblanc Reaction GIF

EA Sports is the brand, one of the few gaming developers/publisher namds known by casuals, they'll do fine.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
From what I'm reading on the BBC article, it sounds like EA want to throw everything they can at this new title to rinse as much money as possible from players.

Speaking to the BBC, David Jackson, vice president at EA Sports, explained that the studio thinks it's time to move in a different direction in order to build a "brand for the future".

Although the details of those experiences are vague at the moment, it's fair to assume that being able to watch real-life matches, experience Fortnite style live in-game events and have access to a broader range of branded in-game items are the kind of things EA would like to be able to offer.

Jackson says: "The world of football and the world of entertainment are changing, and they clash within our product.

"In the future our players will demand of us the ability to be more expansive in that offering. At the moment, we engage in play as a primary form of interactive experience. Soon, watching and creating content are going to be equally as important for fans.

"Under the licensing conventions that we had agreed with Fifa 10 years ago, there were some restrictions that weren't going to allow us to be able to build those experiences for players."

No thanks EA. I'll see what developer FIFA go with and see what they have to offer. Got to be better than the shit being cooked up at EA sports.

Alphagear

I wonder who will develop the new FIFA titles.

Not easy if you ask me. Took EA at least a decade to make FIFA competent.

HTK

Banned
FIFA are not bright by going this route. They better have someone else already on-board and with a better product which I doubt.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
FIFA are not bright by going this route. They better have someone else already on-board and with a better product which I doubt.

From what I understand from the BBC article, this move allows EA to add further monetisation features in their new franchise. I assume FIFA wanted a bigger slice of these new money spinning methods, which EA refused and have now decided to go alone.

This is a big gamble for EA. Although they still hold a majority of licenses, they've been losing a few in recent years, for example losing a few top Italian teams like Roma and Juventus.

If FIFA can get hold of all licenses, including the ones EA don't have, and get a competent development team on board, then EA might be in trouble.

Be interesting to see who FIFA get to develop their own game.

OneDrop_

Neo Member
Lol EA wasnt much better. I played it last year after like 10 years. Exact same shit as when I stopped playing it, same crappy lifeless animations and sound effects, so repetitive
I am not a FIFA fan but that is lies. FIFA takes like 3/4 years to improve substantially

Kokoloko85

I am not a FIFA fan but that is lies. FIFA takes like 3/4 years to improve substantially

It felt like the same game. Commentating was worse and more repetitive. Animation variety hadnt improved. Shooting and controls felt the same. Still delayed crowd reactions and commentating at times for things like goals and fouls. These were not only issues 10 years ago and but even before.
The game has not improved much, graphically and facial animations but everything else still sucks

kingfey

Banned
I've been told there are no leagues lost and they have deals with leagues directly. Only thing they lose out on is world cup.
World Cup is fine. They can name it something else.
It would have been a real issue, if they lost couple of leagues.

RAL1992

Microsoft isn't picking up the license. I don't know why that would come up in this conversation.
Only mentioned what others have stated earlier and that if they were to get a hold of it, then a live service view going forward would generate a ton of cash going forward, providing they continue with the ultimate team formulae.

Personally I only ever play it when it goes onto either of the subscriptions and I've not touched FUT, so if Sony or Microsoft were to get it then it's a benefit.

All in all it's just speculation pal, but they'll be trying to push the license to somebody and judging by the numbers quoted it's not going to be a small company.

kingfey

Banned
Only mentioned what others have stated earlier and that if they were to get a hold of it, then a live service view going forward would generate a ton of cash going forward, providing they continue with the ultimate team formulae.

Personally I only ever play it when it goes onto either of the subscriptions and I've not touched FUT, so if Sony or Microsoft were to get it then it's a benefit.

All in all it's just speculation pal, but they'll be trying to push the license to somebody and judging by the numbers quoted it's not going to be a small company.
Nah, fifa is much bigger than those 2. I doubt fifa will allow them.
They want more money. MS and Sony won't be able to make the money, which EA brings.

Also, that $2b is high robbery. No idiot would pay them that much. Even at 5 years contract, that is $400m a year. You will need to sell 20m copies a year, to make a profit.
Also, FUT is EA speciality. MS and Sony won't be able to copy EA tactics. So the money they bring, would much smaller than EA.
You also have to account the platform exclusivity.

They should have just called it EA Sports Football. Sounds much cleaner. Its still going to be the exact same game under a new name so this won't effect them.

Last edited:

Three

From what I'm reading on the BBC article, it sounds like EA want to throw everything they can at this new title to rinse as much money as possible from players.

Speaking to the BBC, David Jackson, vice president at EA Sports, explained that the studio thinks it's time to move in a different direction in order to build a "brand for the future".

Although the details of those experiences are vague at the moment, it's fair to assume that being able to watch real-life matches, experience Fortnite style live in-game events and have access to a broader range of branded in-game items are the kind of things EA would like to be able to offer.

Jackson says: "The world of football and the world of entertainment are changing, and they clash within our product.

"In the future our players will demand of us the ability to be more expansive in that offering. At the moment, we engage in play as a primary form of interactive experience. Soon, watching and creating content are going to be equally as important for fans.

"Under the licensing conventions that we had agreed with Fifa 10 years ago, there were some restrictions that weren't going to allow us to be able to build those experiences for players."

No thanks EA. I'll see what developer FIFA go with and see what they have to offer. Got to be better than the shit being cooked up at EA sports.

Sounds to me more like FIFA prevented eSports like events.

cormack12

Gold Member
There is no way there can be a real alternative developed within a year and Konami have completely fucked up pes 22 with most people not even wanting to touch it again. So I don't see another FIFA game until at least 2025 now

fermcr

EA SPORTS FC is one of the dumbest names ever. They should just use the name EA Football or something similar...

Always follow KISS principle. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

I'm under the impression that, at the long run, it might actually be beneficial to EA, depending on the number of restrictions FIFA used to place on them.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony should snatch it, they've been all over the place when it comes to football.

r

jPHv51dp-490318653.jpg

fifa-sponsorship-brazil-2014.jpg

Although they've ended it in 2014 for FIFA, and continuing UEFA Champions League sponsorship 1997-present.

They came again back to sign 13 sponsor deals back for 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia along with being partners again (above regular sponsorship):

8-5.jpg

C9PLRGHXgAA4ITs.jpg:large

1526442757_tl8WpM_SPN_FIFA.JPG

And they seem to have skipped Qatar so far, no details yet.

So naturally you should expect Sony seeking that license as it has the largest footprint in football when it comes to gaming as being the standard console for football elites and most/all football lovers.

Sony might make their own game with San Diego studio or other ones, or probably get eFootball from Konami or buy Konami's gaming division as a whole.

PaintTinJr

The document of Fifa's statement in that tweet is very revealing IMO.
Saying they'll have a new built Fifa for 2024, and saying they've entered into a new separate temp contract with EA for the world cup game with both male and female competitions in it for the first time.

Them stating they are no longer looking to exclusively license the name to one company explains why the price is so high for EA. They clearly believe that they can make more spreading the license thinner across many competing or mutually exclusive platform game products that all look and play different - which sort of makes sense IMO.

It is dangerous for both EA and Fifa taking this approach IMO, within 3years FUT EA Sport FC could be dead - under the weight of its own economic demands - and the FIFA brand used in games could be as marginal as the Olympic brand by then leaving no way back to restore today's status quo; especially if a U-turn PES2021 takes the market and a thriving footy genre dev market setups up quickly to compete.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
More:

2010 FIFA World Cup

sony_worldcup2010.jpg

sony-fifa-world-cup-2010-3d.jpg

It's just very big for Sony as a whole, and some people here don't know that VAR, GOAL CHECK, and most of sport-related tech like in Tennis and other are Sony tech.

poster_4d7e26266c4849aa8554bb36b96122ca.jpg

Their newer tech:

JexdWhv2bEBRLCL6hch8XM-1200-80.jpg

What is Video Assistant Referee (VAR)?​

Hawk-Eye Innovations, owned by Sony, currently holds the patent for the VAR technology and are under a licensing agreements with FIFA to supply access to Hawk-Eye’s technology for top leagues around the world. This additional refereeing process consists on Video Assistant Referees (VAR) watching matches in a video operation room (VOR) assisted by an assistant VAR (AVAR) and replay operator (RO). For all Premier League matches since VAR adoption, this video operation room and all VAR officials have been based in Stockley Park in South West London.

FIFA needs Sony more than Sony needs them, actually.

Last edited:

fermcr

Sony should snatch it, they've been all over the place when it comes to football.

r

jPHv51dp-490318653.jpg

fifa-sponsorship-brazil-2014.jpg

Although they've ended it in 2014 for FIFA, and continuing UEFA Champions League sponsorship 1997-present.

They came again back to sign 13 sponsor deals back for 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia along with being partners again (above regular sponsorship):

8-5.jpg

C9PLRGHXgAA4ITs.jpg:large

1526442757_tl8WpM_SPN_FIFA.JPG

And they seem to have skipped Qatar so far, no details yet.

So naturally you should expect Sony seeking that license as it has the largest footprint in football when it comes to gaming as being the standard console for football elites and most/all football lovers.

Sony might make their own game with San Diego studio or other ones, or probably get eFootball from Konami or buy Konami's gaming division as a whole.

The question is: Are Sony (or other publisheres) willing to spend $1 billion in order to use the FIFA license for their games?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The question is: Are Sony (or other publisheres) willing to spend $1 billion in order to use the FIFA license for their games?

I believe they can if it extends to real-world sponsorships that probably cost as much or closer. For FIFA's wording seems like Sony is high probability, with only Konami left, but won't call Konami a "leading gaming publisher", which easily fits Sony.

Last edited:
Dont like the name....but like FIFA the corporation even less.
EA FC is almost certainly still going to be selling gangbusters...I am curious how FIFA is going to salvage their videogame franchise.
They cant steal all the tech EA has put which would mean starting from the ground up servers/backend and all.
FIFA 23 could be so backwards that fans who dont know the change has happened buy it and give up on the franchise outright.

How informed are EA FIFA fans?

Tis what what I was thinking.
Assuming FIFA have found a developer the next FIFA will simply be FIFA 23, the uninitiated will think its the next iteration of their beloved franchise not knowing its basically a whole new game that just shares a name.

There won’t be a few FIFA game on shelves for years, if ever. Someone would have to license the name and develop a game in a very short time frame, while EA’s game will be out soon. Who is going to buy the FIFA license for $2 billion??? That’s what they want for it.

Best case for another FIFA is they lower their price a LOT and hope EA takes them back.

Justin9mm

Why not just EA FC.. Why put Sports between it, sounds much better this way.. Could even make it EAFC.. I dunno lol

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Why not just EA FC.. Why put Sports between it, sounds much better this way.. Could even make it EAFC.. I dunno lol
Probably just some copyright shit.
Their SEO is already on point.
Google "EA FC", chances are one of the first results will be EA Sports FC.
Theyve basically already got a nickname for their game, everyone will be calling it EAFC in two seconds.

Top Bottom