• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA acquires Glu Mobile in $2.1 billion deal

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
unknown.png

EA still had money after slamming $ 1.2 billion to afford Codemasters. So they just dropped $ 2.1 billion to buy Glu Mobile. If the name doesn't ring a bell, you've got good taste: Glu develops mobile games like Covet Fashion, Design Home, Diner Dash, MLB Tap Sports Baseball, and Kim Kardashian Hollywood.

But PC gamers may remember them as "the ones that shut down GameSpy servers."
Given EA's policy of shutting down old game servers at all costs, they're going to feel right at home.

JimboJones

The crème de la crème of mobile games right there.
Wii and DS also used the gamespy servers which is also why they where shut down relatively quickly after Nintendo transitioned to WiiU/3DS

Last edited:

wipeout364

And people said 7 billion for Bethesda was too much. Maybe EA wants to get the gamespy name and rebrand EAPlay and Origin as Gamespy, that actually would be pretty cool.

Neolombax

Wow....didn't know that Glu mobile was worth that much. The last time I played their games was when I used my HTC Desire.

Shubh_C63

I remember playing their games when I had a feature phone. Single game sometimes was upto 1.2 Mb, which was INSANE. Some action game.

Yeah smart purchase. With mtx they're gonna make that billion dollar very quickly.

Something is stirring all these companies into a buying spree.

Perrott

Gold Member
What the fuck EA? $2,1B for this crap? And you tell me that San Francisco was too expensive for Visceral to hire the enough people to properly develop their Star Wars game? Fuck off already

Starhowl

Finally, they acquire a company that deserves to be destroyed, and judging by the costs of it, if we're lucky, EA will go down along with them! :pie_invert:

xrnzaaas

This is a nice reminder of sad times we're living in where a mobile games company is worth almost twice as much as Codemasters.

NickFire

Do adults knowingly spend money on these kind of games? Or are they all dependent on unrealized mincro-subscriptions and kids just charging things to parents cards?

Actually a smart move. The mobile industry makes more money than the typical AAA game on an exponential level. I hate the core principle of the industry but market-wise EA made the right choice. They'll basically do more money for a fraction of the cost they spent with the big studios. Expect more copy and paste games from them and less effort on their Triple-A line-up.

Do adults knowingly spend money on these kind of games? Or are they all dependent on unrealized mincro-subscriptions and kids just charging things to parents cards?
They do, most heavy spenders on mobile games are generally successful businessmen who like to spend tons on getting everything on the games so they can brag about it. The mobile game market is one of the most toxic communities in gaming.

How is this worth almost twice as Codemasters? I thought I had some knowledge about this industry, but seems like was wrong.
Mobile games make shitloads of money from bored people every day. They're sitting in people's pockets or bags, ready to be played at any time during the day or even in the middle of the night.

kyussman

I read that and was like who?...and then I learn it's all about mobile games and I'm like wtf?...and then I remember just how much money these games make and I'm like ah,lol.

EDMIX

I mean...we laughing now, but EA probably going to bank on that shit in the next decade as mobile crap is still taking off.

The best part about this is, EA now has less money to buy good developers and turn them into shit so......its better for us all that this happens lol

Top Bottom