• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA’s IP revival is reportedly a Dead Space ‘reimagining’

Trogdor1123

Open world dead space might actually be good. So much potential if they get it right. I like the idea of salvaging stuff from across the ruins of a solar system, cities, labs, armories, Unitologist tomb fleets, orbital graveyards, alien ruins, ect and upgrading your gear and weapons to take on increasingly horrific and powerful necromorphs until Isaac and Ellie have gone from their Dead Space 2 modified RIGs to Dead Space 4 endgame RIGs nearing Starship Trooper Mobile Armor in firepower (the book versions that could operate entire theaters of combat and glass them as needed.)
I actually agree, that could be a pretty great game.

SCB3

It was always an action game
Yep, like RE turned into as well

Anyway, "Reimagining" makes me wary, 3 ended on a Cliff-hanger and the setup the OG team leaked out later suggested a great story for 4, I'm not sure I want a remake

Though, imagining a DS set somewhere else, away from Issac's story with a crossover/parallel story could be interesting

Soodanim

Once upon a time, Dead Space came onto the scene and brought us survival horror at a time when there was very little of it, because Resident Evil 5 took the series even farther away from survival horror than 4 did.

Fast forward 13 years, and while Resident Evil has circled back round to its roots with games like RE2R, 7 and 8, Dead Space will most likely come back in a form that doesn't do the Dead Space IP nor sruvival horror as a genre any justice.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
hope the clowns doesn't turn it into an action game with this reimagining bullshit
Imagine if they did this, plus made it a forced co-op Also they put in needless MTX. Can you imagine ?!?

seeing how dead space nicely parallels the alien movies this will be its version of resurrection then ?

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
EA give me a 60 FPS remaster of the original games. I’ll even pay extra if you omit 3. Just don’t “reimagine” something that’s already great ffs.
I would definitely buy a remastered trilogy just like I have with ME (even though the remasters are far from perfect). I think it would be possible to remove mtx's from DS3 and tweak the progression in the game a bit to compensate for the lack of 'help'.

Kuranghi

I'm about to start a replay of the first at 4K60 w/ 8x MSAA, super excited to scare the pants off my co-gamer. Hmmm, maybe I should use SGSSAA to render at 8K internally instead of the in-game MSAA to get transparency AA, but maybe the MSAA already does that due to it being an old engine, I wonder which looks better overall detail and AA wise 🤔

I was thinking an open world DS like SinDelta SinDelta could be great if its in space, the thing I liked about DS3 was jet-feet-boosting around in space at the start, around the ships/debris field. I just don't really think travelling on foot for massive distances suits this game, just like RE8 would've been weird if the village was like 10x as big, density is key here.

rob305

To all the pessimists, lets not forget EA released a very good single player game with Star Wars Fallen Order against all odds. Theres a good chance that they realized a well polished single player game can make them a ton money too without microtransactions

Kuranghi

To all the pessimists, lets not forget EA released a very good single player game with Star Wars Fallen Order against all odds. Theres a good chance that they realized a well polished single player game can make them a ton money too without microtransactions

I really liked that game, it was a good fun time and once I had my settings sorted out the HDR + IQ was amazing, the cutscenes looked like a pix... *narrows eyes* were very good quality. Its still better looking when you play at 4K than many games out in 2020 and 2021 imo.

Kev Kev

relying on the dead space brand and backlash from from fans over this announcement to "reimagine" it, in order to pump up their new game and get it trending, is cowardly and pathetic.

just make a new IP you pussys

Needlecrash

Dead Space 1 & 2 are classics that stand out on their. Since EA killed off Visceral Games, I doubt this remake will be any good as the original.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Electronic Arts has Star Wars: Battlefront II co-developer Motive working on a new Dead Space game. Eurogamer and Gematsu first reported the existence of the game, and GamesBeat can confirm parts of what each outlet has heard. While a new Dead Space is coming, Motive is rebooting the franchise with a full-fledged remake.

I’ve reached out to EA for comment, and will update this story with any input from the publisher.

For its Dead Space game, Motive is taking notes from Capcom’s recent Resident Evil remakes. Like Resident Evil 2 Remake, expect the next Dead Space to use the original game as a strong foundation. But it should also have modern visuals. And it will likely bring in new gameplay mechanics inspired by other entries in the franchise.

And speaking of Capcom, it is likely a major reason a new Dead Space is happening. While EA has let its horror franchise wither, the Resident Evil series is larger than ever. And Capcom has provided an easy blueprint for EA to follow.

Phase

*sips soy latte*

Soooo we're totes excited to tell y'all about the new Dead Space. Like before it was Isaac Clarke, but the fact that he was a white cis man was problematic, and don't get us started on the fact that he was neurodivergent. We talked with the devs of the first game and told them "this ain't it, big yikes,"

So basically, we reimagined the premise as Necromorphs can only infect Caucasian males, it's like totes an allegory for how they rape, pillage and subjugate everyone. So our stunning and brave female lesbian black lead is going to Check. Their. Privilege. With a pulse rifle. You go, girl!

Also, microtransactions.
god damn GIF

carlosrox

Banned
So the rumor now says proper remake? That sounds better to me than "reimagining", though I guess they sorta mean the same thing. Remake sounds a bit more faithful to me but who knows what's going on.

Still, I really hope that it's still Isaac AND that they keep the same voice actor and he just talks this time. I have no real issue with silent protagonist but it felt pointless in Dead Space.

So yeah. Please get the right tone, keep it dark and gory, keep Isaac, keep the same voice actor, try to keep it pretty close to the original game.

If they can nail this they might actually be making one of my favorite games of all time.

Dead Space 1-3 are all great but the first is still definitely the best. I have next to no complaints with 1. 2 felt like it had a minor tonal change with some of the city stuff that I didn't care for.

If RE2make really is their inspiration then that bodes well.

They'd be fucking insane to fuck up a reboot like this.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Electronic Arts has Star Wars: Battlefront II co-developer Motive working on a new Dead Space game. Eurogamer and Gematsu first reported the existence of the game, and GamesBeat can confirm parts of what each outlet has heard. While a new Dead Space is coming, Motive is rebooting the franchise with a full-fledged remake.

I’ve reached out to EA for comment, and will update this story with any input from the publisher.

For its Dead Space game, Motive is taking notes from Capcom’s recent Resident Evil remakes. Like Resident Evil 2 Remake, expect the next Dead Space to use the original game as a strong foundation. But it should also have modern visuals. And it will likely bring in new gameplay mechanics inspired by other entries in the franchise.

And speaking of Capcom, it is likely a major reason a new Dead Space is happening. While EA has let its horror franchise wither, the Resident Evil series is larger than ever. And Capcom has provided an easy blueprint for EA to follow.
This so screams soulless corporate remake :/…

Last edited:

Shmunter

Having I worked on all 3 games it will be interesting to see how they handle this without any dev support from the original team. Not a single person from the team works for ea anymore so this will be highly interesting
Can we assume they are given the source code and assets?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Serious question,

Am I being a little bitch because a big part of me doesn't want to give EA money for their Dead Space and Skate reboot?

I love both series and own all the games but I just hate seeing EA destroy 2 franchises and the studios who made them, only to then bring them back when it's convenient.

mcjmetroid

So.. I mean the only positive I can take from this is it might mean they'll remaster the original trilogy....
I mean not that it needs it. Dead Space 3 in 120HZ in 4K, Absolutely nothing with it.

Kuranghi

So.. I mean the only positive I can take from this is it might mean they'll remaster the original trilogy....
I mean not that it needs it. Dead Space 3 in 120HZ in 4K, Absolutely nothing with it.

Definitely absolutely nothing with it, I'm replaying 1 now at 4K + 4xMSAA + 2xSGSSAA for Transparencies and it looks amazing, the texture work is still pretty great today and 2 really bumped that up even more. 8x MSAA looks godlike but I thats kinda getting out of control GPU scaling wise even though I only use like 17% at 4K without MSAA.

Buying a current lineup GPU in a large part to play old games at 16K is pretty stupid but I'm a bit of a wahlie like that.

Phase

Serious question,

Am I being a little bitch because a big part of me doesn't want to give EA money for their Dead Space and Skate reboot?

I love both series and own all the games but I just hate seeing EA destroy 2 franchises and the studios who made them, only to then bring them back when it's convenient.
Nope. Never feel bad about not giving money to a shit company, especially when you feel they ruined something you liked.

Having I worked on all 3 games it will be interesting to see how they handle this without any dev support from the original team. Not a single person from the team works for ea anymore so this will be highly interesting
I only played the first two, but you guys did an absolutely great job on those.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Wait is it a totally new game set in dead space or is it a remake? I really want to replay dead space 1 and 2 but ive been holding out for this new game

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The first and second game are perfect blueprints. Just spice it up with modern touches that take advantage of hardware.
Bigger, more intricate level. Improved artificial intelligence.

if anything else, I’d like to see more player agency, perhaps including stealth elements addded to the mix. Maybe a noise system, or crouch/prone to take advantage of level design and a.I., giving your more encounter options and adding depth to ammo management.

Shubh_C63

Once in a while I think EA can get their head out of their asses and greenit something cool.

I have hope because I think they learned from SWFallenOrder.
Now I am wrecking my brain trying to think how they will try to make it a Gaas, or dlc, or expansions etc.

Dead Space was fantastic in the beginning and okay towards the end. Part of me doesn't want to believe they are doing a remake because very rarely do they green light the stuff people actually want.

SSfox

DS1 was incredible and a fucking surprise, 2 was amazing. Played and finish both of them like 5 to 8 times each at least. 3 was OK, the human enemies were dumb and a lot of cool stuffs in the game that should've been part of the game were being paywall, game was bit more fun on coop, so yeah far more inferior than DS1 and 2 just OK, played it once and never replay it again as opposite of 1 and 2.

Top Bottom