• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2022 will be online-only again

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
People will say good that E3 is dead then complain we get 10 mediocre events spread out through the summer with leakers predicting every month Sony or Xbox is having an event. The industry was better with E3. We knew every June we’d get a news blowout and reveals.

Yeah, I know full well E3 now is a shell of it's former self, but not having E3 would just feel ... wrong ...

EDMIX

People will say good that E3 is dead then complain we get 10 mediocre events spread out through the summer with leakers predicting every month Sony or Xbox is having an event. The industry was better with E3. We knew every June we’d get a news blowout and reveals.

I actually disagree.

Tons of games getting announced on top of each other, lots of flops and assumptions on what a game was going to be or not based on a few minutes of a trailer, teams literally dedicated to making "E3 builds" slowing down their own development for 1 date.

I don't know if I can really say this was great for the industry. I'm not even sure I can say even for the fans as I'm sure lost gems that fell thru the cracks won't help fans feel great that a game could have been better received if it just had more marketing time or not having the team held back making a E3 build right next to a AC reveal or Call Of Duty reveal etc.

So....I'd say make the point, give the details on why it was good for the industry.

Without E3, developers can simply do a random reveal, take over the media cycle and show a trailer on their terms without delaying or halting development for a date they can't control.

zero E3 reveal, broke records and did just fine.

if anything look at Nintendo, they have been doing those random directs and have done wonders. Even the Switch reveal was done simply on Youtube, but we are watching those events online anyway, so to a publisher, it makes no sense to fix on 1 date and oh cram it with hundreds of other reveals. This helps them....how?

Yeah, I know full well E3 now is a shell of it's former self, but not having E3 would just feel ... wrong ...

but who cares? We have many games doing record sales and hardware doing record sales all without an E3 reveal.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Tell you what though, E3 derailed game development more than people realized. They would spend so much time making those demos and vertical slices for the show floor they would lose months of work.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Tell you what though, E3 derailed game development more than people realized. They would spend so much time making those demos and vertical slices for the show floor they would lose months of work.
FACTS! we spent so much time on our e3 demos that even during our conferences we still had staff working on the build just incase we didn't catch a bug that would crash.

Absolute waste of staff resources.

EDMIX

FACTS! we spent so much time on our e3 demos that even during our conferences we still had staff working on the build just incase we didn't catch a bug that would crash.

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that.

Whats even worse is they'd judge that game crashing as if THAT is what the final game will do and attack the work as if you asked for it to be shown this early just to hit a date. A game needs to be shown when its ready to be shown based on what is going on at that team, not some set date for the whole industry. I'm happy Rockstar, Sony and Nintendo release those trailers randomly and when ever they give a fuck.

Let the developer make the game in peace, show it when they are damn ready and own that marketing cycle for the week of gamers just talking about that 1 game. That is how you build hype for your product, not forcing a trailer with hundreds of others just to get drowned out, waste resources and have a build attacked for crashing

Sentenza

Getting vaxxed doesn't stop you from getting covid, mate.
Yeah, but "getting covid" doesn't do shit for the overwhelming majority of people.
I know more people who got covid than ones who didn't at this point, myself included, and it turned out to be a big fucking pile of nothing.

Some get the symptoms of a common cold or influence for a couple of days, other even no symptoms at all, they are all still counted in the pile of "number of cases this week".
I'd say we could start considering the idea that maybe stopping society from normal functions over this MAY be a bit overblown? IF there are particularly weak and vulnerable categories of people, then they are the ones that should get special treatment/care/protection/isolation. It's not the rest of the world that should freeze.

PJX

Yeah, but "getting covid" doesn't do shit for the overwhelming majority of people.
I know more people who got covid than ones who didn't at this point, myself included, and it turned out to be a big fucking pile of nothing.

Some get the symptoms of a common cold or influence for a couple of days, other even no symptoms at all, they are all still counted in the pile of "number of cases this week".
I'd say we could start considering the idea that maybe stopping society from normal functions over this MAY be a bit overblown? IF there are particularly weak and vulnerable categories of people, then they are the ones that should get special treatment/care/protection/isolation. It's not the rest of the world that should freeze.
A big pile of nothing? I guess the people I lost who got Covid were a big pile of nothing.

Sentenza

A big pile of nothing? I guess the people I lost who got Covid were a big pile of nothing.
Is this an appeal to emotion? I'm sorry for your loss, but what's your point here? People die of all sorts of diseases and people who were weakened to begin with can die out of diseases that would be virtually harmless to most.
I lost one of my grandfathers to pneumonia but I don't expect everyone to shut in their home for years because they COULD eventually get pneumonia when it's cold outside.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nintendo were well ahead of the curve ditching physical events. I remember when they announced they’d just be doing Directs and I thought they’d lost the plot pig time. Turns out they were right, it’s better to have a pre-recorded 30 minute sizzle reel than it is to have a 2 hour bloated mess where Xbox’s paid hype presenters make me physically cringe. So yeah, don’t really care about e3 any more.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
One of the final nails in the E3 coffin is actually cloud gaming. As much as people think E3 was about the stage show, which can obviously be online, it was always more about letting journalists get hands on with upcoming games, without letting their code loose in the wild and risking leaks. That's a lot easier now that they can offer previews over cloud gaming as companies have been doing for the last couple years.

I don't think E3 is needed as it used to be. With each company doing their own live stream shows of games and hardware directly to consumers, the e3 conferences are kind of useless. I like the new format of many different video releases throughout the year now instead of one or two big shows only.
Nah man Big shows were better. Now we are starved for any meaningful announcements. With E3, companies had pressure to show something amazing each year. Now, companies have become complacent and lazy, and just keep pushing deadlines ahead or just show games no one is interested in (see recent Sony SoP)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Not to mention it would cost Xbox around 30 million to put on those E3 shows so would assume about the same amount for Sony

Save that money for other options

And yeah have the receipts for that figure and have shared them with the staff here, didn't just pull that number out of the air

fermcr

E3 is still the best new games showcase in spite of Sony not showing up. If Nintendo and Microsoft didn't show up along with Sony, then E3 would likely be dead.

Verchod

The alternatives are worse. So eventually most events will fizzle out and you'll just end up with the main console company's just doing random events when they feel like they have something to show.
The good thing about E3, or the original version anyway, was that loads of company's get together to show off what they have. It's also a good excuse to celebrate gaming in a way. It's like have a gaming festival.

MacReady13

Getting vaxxed doesn't stop you from getting covid, mate.
I'm sorry- where in my post did I say it stops anyone from getting covid? I'm saying lets move on now. We are ALL going to get covid so why keep running from it? Learn to live with it and lets get back to some normality.

PJX

I'm sorry- where in my post did I say it stops anyone from getting covid? I'm saying lets move on now. We are ALL going to get covid so why keep running from it? Learn to live with it and lets get back to some normality.
Well next time make yourself clearer, mate. It's not that hard. Read what you wrote and you'll see why one could come to the conclusion I did.

MacReady13

Well next time make yourself clearer, mate. It's not that hard. Read what you wrote and you'll see why one could come to the conclusion I did.
Not worth getting upset over i'd have thought! I'm clearly stating to move on. That's all that needs to be taken from my statement. Move on and live your life. Covid or not it's time to just move on and not let a virus dictate what we do or don't do in life.

PJX

Not worth getting upset over i'd have thought! I'm clearly stating to move on. That's all that needs to be taken from my statement. Move on and live your life. Covid or not it's time to just move on and not let a virus dictate what we do or don't do in life.
Never said I was upset, mate. Not sure why you would come to that conclusion. Did I write in all caps or something?

oldergamer

Happy Well Done GIF

Sony and Covid killed E3.
the guy from love boat?

Top Bottom