• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2022 will be online-only again

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
https://venturebeat.com/2022/01/06/e3-shifts-to-online-only-event-because-of-omicron-concerns/

“Due to the ongoing health risks surrounding COVID-19 and its potential impact on the safety of exhibitors and attendees, E3 will not be held in person in 2022,” the ESA said in a statement to GamesBeat. “We are nonetheless excited about the future of E3 and look forward to announcing more details soon.”

Little more to the story maybe:

https://www.ign.com/articles/e3-2022-cancels-in-person-event-digital-show-uncertain

The ESA has canceled its in-person event for E3 2022, according to a statement shared with IGN by the ESA. But, while they point to upcoming announcements, the future of the show this year and beyond remains unclear.

"Due to the ongoing health risks surrounding COVID-19 and its potential impact on the safety of exhibitors and attendees, E3 will not be held in person in 2022," reads a statement sent to IGN by the ESA. "We remain incredibly excited about the future of E3 and look forward to announcing more details soon.”

This effectively means that currently, E3 2022's very existence is uncertain. With no dates set and no physical event planned, that would theoretically leave a possibility for a digital showcase. But in a follow-up communication with IGN, the ESA added that it could not confirm at this time whether or not there would be a digital event this year instead of the physical event, as there was in 2021.

Found this funny :)

Last edited:

KellyNole

OK so seriously, when do we move on from Covid? When do we just get vaxxed and live our lives with covid? This shit can't keep going on.

In saying that, is E3 even a massive thing anymore?

I don't think E3 is needed as it used to be. With each company doing their own live stream shows of games and hardware directly to consumers, the e3 conferences are kind of useless. I like the new format of many different video releases throughout the year now instead of one or two big shows only.

SJRB

Gold Member
Smart. Maximum exposure for a fraction of the cost.

There is no way we'll ever get a classic E3 again. Especially now that Sony has bailed out.

I blame Omicron.

That said, people's patience is going to eventually cave and some serious shit's gonna go down with these long waves of restrictions and lockdowns. Being told not to spend time with your family on Christmas was one of the worst.

Understandable to an extent why they're doing online-only again. I just hope everyone other than Microsoft, Nintendo and Devolver can have conferences worth watching. Stuff like Take-Two's (the message wasn't the issue, them using an E3 conference to push it though, was) were a giant waste of time.

skit_data

9JMt7OU.gif

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Smart. Maximum exposure for a fraction of the cost.

There is no way we'll ever get a classic E3 again. Especially now that Sony has bailed out.
The E3 shows cost Xbox around 30 million in total so would assume Sony's cost was about the same and yeah now a fraction of that

Kacho

Gold Member
A barrage of game trailers without the fluff is fine. Sure it sucks losing the cringe videos but whatever.

It’s time to get back to normal though. At least by next year. Most of us have our shots already. Time to move on with life.

NickFire

What's the betting line on this being a cover for lack of interest by the pubs / devs?

I'd have to put my money on lack of interest at this point. Not E3's fault, but for everyone who doesn't physically attend (most gamers), its not really any different making it digital only. Either way, a couple company's will be hyping all sorts of promises about blah blah blah, and then we are getting pre-rendered trailers if we're lucky, and splash screens of games coming out 5 years down the road when we're unlucky.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Don't be daft, as if they have a choice. You think the E3 organization or any participating company wants worldwide headlines like "10,000 people infected, 500 people hospitalized with Covid after E3 show"?
If you want the world to shut down for 10,000 cases of the sniffles then be my guest. Im done with Covid. Point blank.

Those who get it and end up in hospital had other health problems already. Let us live.

And this is coming from someone in Ontario, Canada. Ontario and Quebec have had the strictest lockdown policies in North America *by far* and its done nothing. Im fucking sick of it.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
If you want the world to shut down for 10,000 cases of the sniffles then be my guest. Im done with Covid. Point blank.

Those who get it and end up in hospital had other health problems already. Let us live.

And this is coming from someone in Ontario, Canada. Us and Quebec have had the strictest lockdown policies in North America *by far* and its done nothing. Im fucking sick of it.

I understand your frustration my man and I don't disagree, but these billion dollar companies can't throw caution into the wind because they're sick of dealing with covid.

It's the new world we live in, unfortunately.

Lognor

Banned
Makes sense. A shame though. E3 is great! At least we should still get a new Nintendo Direct during that time frame so that's something.

NickFire

I understand your frustration my man and I don't disagree, but these billion dollar companies can't throw caution into the wind because they're sick of dealing with covid.

It's the new world we live in, unfortunately.
Your guess is as good as anyone else's. But doesn't it seem a little unorthodox to cancel this summer event again for the vid, when pretty much every other billion dollar company has resumed in person events? All major sports, concerts, wrestling, cruise lines (some anyway), airlines (not really an event I know), schools, gyms, adult video awards, etc.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
OK so seriously, when do we move on from Covid? When do we just get vaxxed and live our lives with covid? This shit can't keep going on.

Being vaccinated doesnt mean you can do everything now. You are still a spreader

This is more for the whole thread but this decision was apparently made in November.
Was Omicron known at that time? I know coverage picked up dramatically in December but I recall some earlier stories about that variant in November.

Not that it necessarily matters; this whole situation's messed up so many things not to say caused a whole host of other issues. Sucks that events being online-only have to serve as a reminder of COVID.

Obama can have a party. Why not gamers?

C'mon we all know the rules are different for the rich and powerful, the politicians and so forth. It's only us normal folks who are supposed to have our lives ruined by rampant lockdowns and wage losses, mental breakdowns and so forth.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
E3 isn't needed. All we need are a couple days where everyone shows their streams. So even without covid, this would be the smarter move.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I know the show is less anyway with Sony out and Nintendo doing a Direct instead of a conference.

But still, it's not the same. The show floor gave it a special vibe. Doing it online-only is a boner shrinker.

THIS.

Getting so sick and fucking tired of this shit. You get vaccinated and still you're gated. I mean like WTF. I'm at the point now that I just don't give a shit anymore (although I've already been jabbed twice), I just want to go out. My fiance has not seen her mother for 3 years now and we can't visit her because of Covid.

E3 is shit and has been in decline for a while now so expected an online show even if there was no covid.

Top Bottom