• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2022 has been officially canceled

Hugare

This is so sad.

And it wont come back. It doesnt make sense anymore.

Sony can announce a new game on their State of Play and it will generate just as much buzz as being announced at E3

If not more, since they can announce when they want, gathering all the attention for themselves

Same with Microsoft, Nintendo ...

But man, the spectacle, the memes, the hype. Everything being announced during that period.

I'll miss it so much

Summer Fest is so fucking shit in comparison

The best part of the last year's event was Elden Ring trailer, and it was the last thing presented there.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
All good things come to an end.

That being said, there hasn't been a consistently good E3 in years imo, so it's not exactly something that I'll be lamenting.

kingfey

Banned
What the hell has been going on with E3, first Sony leaves, then there's a data leak, then they wanted to bring a lot more influencers and celebrities and now is fully canceled. What a mess.
Covid19, and Gamers desire for more gaming news.

People are crying to MS, to give them updates of their plans. They can't do it, because they are part of e3.

Its a loss situation for E3.

kingfey

Banned
Just a reminder that the 2K stream last year was a Zoom call with HR staff talking about diversity or some shit. So, it's not all bad.
Isn't that nice? The company shows, the support diversity, by showing a pr video, while covering harassment incidents in their company.

/s.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
At this point I honestly don’t care, instead of pressuring devs make something to show on E3, I rather see them show thier games when it’s good and ready to show like Monolith Soft did with Xenoblade 3.

mckmas8808

Banned
What the hell has been going on with E3, first Sony leaves, then there's a data leak, then they wanted to bring a lot more influencers and celebrities and now is fully canceled. What a mess.

I hate to say it, but Sony saw this coming years in advance. I was always on the other side mad at them for not showing up, but they clearly saw the writing on the walls.

Welp, that's one less major event for the industry. I bet Geoff and gaming "journalists" are celebrating, they've wanted this ever since the info leaks years ago.

Remember everyone, big gaming events like E3 are redundant and dead...unless they're The Game Awards (Geoff), Summer Games Fest (Geoff), Gamescon, TGS, PAX, and CES.

See, those are okay. But E3 isn't, because accidental leaks. Imagine if gamers treated PSN the way "journalists" have treated E3, amirite?

😭😭😭😭😭

Fox Mulder

Now we are stuck with Geoff and his trash ass shows full of ads, good job people of the internets.

Geoff’s dumb show will benefit from E3 dying. Lots of companies will still want a singular event for press to talk about, while MS, Sony, and Nintendo or the giant publishers can do their own streams.

Batiman

Banned
E3 was done when Sony decided it was done. They were carrying it for several years, excluding that final year where they went off the rails.
And their events have never been the same since they left. I’m more of an Xbox guy but Sony killed it at E3. They’ve never had the same hype since they left

well-bye.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The last few E3 shows have been pretty lame, so I can't say that I'm upset by this.

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
Yay, people should be thrilled that a game exclusive major conference that has had historical waves in modern gaming should be cancelled for... REASONS?!

Seriously, I don't understand anybody being happy about this move. It was always a mega exciting time, and it hasn't been the same without it.

The only people happy are the corporations who can now cheap out on announcements and conferences.

Plantoid

Yay, people should be thrilled that a game exclusive major conference that has had historical waves in modern gaming should be cancelled for... REASONS?!

Seriously, I don't understand anybody being happy about this move. It was always a mega exciting time, and it hasn't been the same without it.

The only people happy are the corporations who can now cheap out on announcements and conferences.
Mostly Sony fans, because Sony left E3 a while ago

OT: that fucking sucks, E3 with nerds on stage was gold!!

I don't like Geoff, but having something is better than nothing, and sometimes the cringe is worth it

Bartski

Gold Member
This sucks ass. I’m not sure why people are saying “good”. What else was even close to E3 as an alternative?
Why do you need an alternative? From the moment Sony left the party to it becoming a covid online panel series crammed together rather than an expo it's completely pointless because anything that can be done under the E3 umbrella in this format can be done much better independently. In a time every participant sees fit and is ready for, rather than putting together an utterly forced shitshow like many of those we've seen last year.

I used to love E3, watched every single conference live online ever since that became possible, after following all kinds of coverage since mid 90s. It's long dead man, it's time to move on.

AJUMP23

I like the concentration of News around E3. Summers Games fest....just needs to a be one week and it will be great.

I wonder if this is what Grubb was going on about.

Last edited:
This is a bit disappointing, even though it has clearly not been so good the last few years, I always looked forward to grabbing a beer and watching a bunch of game trailers. Shame really.

MadPanda

Banned
Now I'll have to suffer to that ego and his mess, namely Geoff. It's really sad. I understand people have issues with E3, but it's much better than all this mess we have right now.

Borowski_1

Ít's a shame

the best thing about E3 is that it's like Christmas: you know that wonderful time of the year will be waiting for you

you knew when to expect the news, the trailers, the announcements. Now we have no fucking clue of when Sony/MS/Nintendo are going to do an event

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Who gives a shit? Everyone will still do their own live streams around the same time anyway. All you lose out on is the cringe and some suit on stage talking about how great their business is.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Aww, I will miss the Jeff Gerstmann and Phil Spencer interviews. Actually I will miss the Giant Bomb evening shows in general. Those were fun.

Top Bottom